sharing beverage cards

Languages1...Carnival does allow you to bring on a small amount of sodas onboard. On a 7 day cruise, we have brought along 2 12 packs with no problem. We put them in a small suitcase that we carry on with us, and then use the suit case for anything we have purchased while on the ship or islands. Kills two birds with one stone!!

Even though Im new here, I have to say the funniest part of the soda debate is the fact that having this sugar water is so important to so many. If I had to pay for soda all week, I'd either pay or not drink it. Seems like the only 2 choices. Then people are debating how to feed their kids this all week, like it's a necessity. Childhood obsesity is out control obscene in this country. How about drinking water for a week, it won't kill you and actually is good for you. They offered us soda card when we boarded ncl and we declined. They were shocked. Im personally shocked at how many people 'need' this stuff daily.

And since I'm already on a roll.. there was a tanning thread about getting a base tan so they could then 'safely' cook more in the caribbean sun. There is no safe tan, but there sure were 30 or so reponses about how to tan and get realllll dark and such. Where were all the wet-blankie posters telling people that tanning in beds or on a deck in the middle of the ocean CAUSES CANCER. Like soda being unhealthy, tanning being dangerous is apparently a moot point on a ship. Strange.

Jules

Having a different opinion is fine, but when actions affect others, then it is a problem. Stealing from the cruiselines affects others.

All of the other "hot topics", jeans, tips, etc, also affect others. People tend to be narrow minded and don't think anything they do affects others. Not only do those things affect others, it reflects society in general.

Trying to figure out how wearing jeans "affects" others? I may not like looking at them while dining, but really doesn't affect anything about me, financially, physically or otherwise....hmmm.

Tipping doesn't really "affect" me either....I tip well, but don't expect others to tip if service isn't commensurate with the tip expected.

I, too, don't believe in stealing, but I also don't believe in being the self appointed soda police. Gosh, some folks seem to be awfully testy.

Wearing jeans does affect others. It brings down the level of formality for everyone. Just because it doesn't affect YOU doesn't mean it doesnt affect anyone else. If it didn't affect anyone, then it wouldn't ever be an issue, but it is ALWAYS an issue and ALWAYS one of those "hot topics", so it clearly affects others.

And not tipping, (as much as I hate tipping) affects the crewmembers. I know I know, if the cruiseline paid them more...yada yada yada...but the fact is, they don't, so not tipping affects them.

And encouraging others to steal from the cruiselines affects EVERYONE in so many ways.

1) Over time it raises costs

2) It lowers the standards of society by saying it is OK just because it is a little bit of soda.

Part of the problem is that people having this attitude that as long as it doesn't affect THEM, it is ok.

Even though Im new here, I have to say the funniest part of the soda debate is the fact that having this sugar water is so important to so many. If I had to pay for soda all week, I'd either pay or not drink it. Seems like the only 2 choices. Then people are debating how to feed their kids this all week, like it's a necessity. Childhood obsesity is out control obscene in this country. How about drinking water for a week, it won't kill you and actually is good for you. They offered us soda card when we boarded ncl and we declined. They were shocked. Im personally shocked at how many people 'need' this stuff daily.

And since I'm already on a roll.. there was a tanning thread about getting a base tan so they could then 'safely' cook more in the caribbean sun. There is no safe tan, but there sure were 30 or so reponses about how to tan and get realllll dark and such. Where were all the wet-blankie posters telling people that tanning in beds or on a deck in the middle of the ocean CAUSES CANCER. Like soda being unhealthy, tanning being dangerous is apparently a moot point on a ship. Strange.

Jules

I have to agree with this poster over all other posts. Why in the world do people need to drink so much soda? There is nothing wrong with water, there are other beverages included in your fare (nothing is "free" on a cruise). I rarely drink the stuff, my kids and husband do at times, but it is not a big issue to us. I have purchased the soda cards for the kids in the past, but will refrain from doing so in the future. My reason? So the kids do not have access to unlimited soda, plus they never really drank enough to warrant any savings.

Although I don't sit in judgement of anyone elses moral beliefs, it is stealing to share a soda card. If your conscience allows it. I've always had the thought that the cruise lines ended the free for all sodas for other reason than cost of the actual product. I'm sure the mess, the waste, the clean up on the pool deck had a bearing in their decision. That and they make a lot of extra $$ selling the stuff.

Just walk through the "free for all" buffet and see how much waste there is, if soda was "free" I'm sure the ship would be overloaded with dirty glasses the slobs will leave anywhere they happen to be.

Happy ks, I agree. In fact, I am currently taking part on another discussion board about 2 things you touched on in your post.

1) Things not actually being "free" on a cruiseship

2) Cruiseship gluttony

I don't understand why people insist on saying that "food is free" on a cruiseship. That attitude leads people to WAY over do it and turn into disgusting slobs while at the buffets. Somewhere, people turned the word buffet into "cram as much as you can into your mouth" instead of the actual dictionary meaning: "A meal at which guests serve themselves from various dishes displayed on a table or sideboard". No where in there does it say that you are required to eat until you can't squeeze anymore.

I was in a discussion with some lady once where she spent forever trying to convince me that food is free on a cruiseship. She just couldn't quite seem to undertand that her fare went to more than just her room. I guess she just thought the food that was onboard is always just donated...

And the whole "tanning" thing drives me nuts too. I actually heard a radio advertisement for a tanning salon that said something to the effect of: "come in and get a natural healthy look for summer"....since when does doing something that has been PROVEN to cause cancer make you look healthy?

(this stuff has been brewing for a while in my head)

Ya ever watch some people fill their plates in the buffet line. Hurry up and pile that food on there since they might not be able to take more. I often wondered if they know they can go back a second time. (But they dont feel like waiting int he line) really how much tiime did youactually wait??

then they leave half that food on the table.

The cruise cost is big bucks for most, maybe if every and anything on the ship were more reasonable, including soda, people would not have to resort to smuggling booze, sharing soda cards and other ingenious ways to be frugal and "Cheat the Lines" . However,

.23 cents for a can of coke at walmart and Walmart still making a profit, vs. $1.50, I think the cruise lines are a bit over kill to make the mighty dollar. So I cut back were I have to as well ,as we all do

We just returned from RCI and DH and I bought the soda cards for the second time. I have not found service to be less efficient for the soda cards - in fact, the bartenders got used to him showing up with my card as well as his and always gave us each large glasses. As for the dining room - I showed my card the first night and after that the assistant waiter kept our glasses full. It bacame quite the joke as he would bring my husband two at the start of the meal. When you purchase the card on RCI they give you a "Coca-cola" souvenier sippie cup. We figured we more than used the value of our soda cards. As for the shared cards - I don't know. People seem to do many things that are "against the rules" I would rather that not overshadow my vacation. I did not want to be worrying about going to different bartenders, etc to sneak a second person on my card. Not worth the hassle. I am sure these things happen - I'm choosing not to participate. It's vacation - a few more bucks won't make or break it. As for soda vs water - to each his own. We drink it. Bah! Choose your poison - I don't smoke or booze - guess soda is mine.

As for the shared cards - I don't know. People seem to do many things that are "against the rules" I would rather that not overshadow my vacation. I did not want to be worrying about going to different bartenders, etc to sneak a second person on my card. Not worth the hassle. I am sure these things happen - I'm choosing not to participate. It's vacation - a few more bucks won't make or break it.

Tessa, I agree with you. The soda card is a bargain already. Sharing one is just tacky and if enought people do it, will only lead to the cruiselines upping the price to cover the costs of those that break the rules.

Yes, Walmart might charge $.23 a can for a soda, but Walmart doesn't have to support a staff of servers who clean your cabin twice a day, wash your towels, serve you meals and bring all those soda's to you. I don't see how one can compare what a discount retailer charges for something vs a cruiseship.

Try comparing the soda cost to what you pay in a stadium or concert/sporting arena. A large soda at Shea Stadium costs $4.50, which is enough to buy at least three 2-liter bottles, 4 or 5 bottles when they're on sale. You can never compare a mass market retailer to a leisure/vacation venue.

As to the OP's original question: it's not ethical to share a soda card. There are many ways to rationalize doing it but none makes it right.

I agree with the people who are going to "share" their cards.. to an extent. As a family of four, we will probably get one card, since only one person in our family drinks lots of cokes. If another one of us want a sip or two (which will probably end up being the entire glass considering it's about 3/4 of a can) then we will do it. Of course if we were all avid coke drinkers, we would probably buy 4 drink cards. Since we are not, it would be a waste of money, but a sip of a coke here and there is not going to kill the cruise line. I think the point here is if you are having trouble sneaking your drink card around so everyone in your group can have a drink, then that's wrong, but not anyone else's business but yours-- so if you want to spend that time doing that, then do it. Everyone, lighten up! It's supposed to be vacation, not tattle time. Also, we will be carrying on some cokes for ourselves too, which should eliminate most borrowing of the drink cards. Have a good time cruising!

I agree with almost everything _islander_ said, exept: "...but not anyone else's business but yours..."

It is everyone elses business when you are stealing from the same company every else is doing business with at that time.

It would really upset me if I were paying money for my drinks, then saw others stealing them...then it is my business.

I think it would be a wonderful promotion for the cruise line to give one free pop per day to each passenger, would be easily monitored with a punch card.... that way people who do not drink alot of pop would still not feel ripped off, or the need to share cards probably...... great PR for the cruise line too!

As a family of four, we will probably get one card, since only one person in our family drinks lots of cokes. If another one of us want a sip or two (which will probably end up being the entire glass considering it's about 3/4 of a can) then we will do it.
Or that other person could buy a soda for a buck or two . . .

This past May we decided NOT to buy our kids (ages 12 and 15) the soda cards (we did buy them on their last cruise), and instead allowed them to have 1-2 sodas per day. This is 1-2 sodas more than they get at home, so it was still a treat. And they ended up most of the time only having a Shirley Temple at dinner (which was their choice).

They didn't miss out on anything - there are lots of other things to drink (they really liked the lemonade) - and we saved a bit of money (and my 12 year-old wasn't climbing the walls at midnight like the last cruise:D )! LOL!!!

I'm going on my first cruise in July on Carnival. Do I understand correctly, that lemonade is free? Also, if you do not buy the soda card, how much are soda indivually? Last question. On the carnival, what is the cost of a soda card? Thanks.

Or that other person could buy a soda for a buck or two . . .

Exactly! And gee......me and DH get to sit and enjoy our soda's together at the same time!!!

(he gets a soda card and I buy my 3 or 4 soda's per cruise)

Jane

I'm going on my first cruise in July on Carnival. Do I understand correctly, that lemonade is free? Also, if you do not buy the soda card, how much are soda indivually? Last question. On the carnival, what is the cost of a soda card? Thanks
You might want to post these questions on the Carnival board here, for the most (and most recent) information.

I'm going on my first cruise in July on Carnival. Do I understand correctly, that lemonade is free? Also, if you do not buy the soda card, how much are soda indivually? Last question. On the carnival, what is the cost of a soda card? Thanks.

lemonade, ice tea and fruit punch are free as are milks, & choc milks.

Soda card will cost almsot 44 pp for a 7 day cruise. (thats the price after gratutity is added.

cans are 1.50 plus gratutity

bottles are 2.50 plus gratutity-

You can carry on a reasonable amount of soda.

Carnival has on the gift page 4 cans for 6. something.

...seems kind of dishonest to me....

Nothing about you. Just there are lots of people that think jipping the cruiseline out of $20 for a soda card is dishonest. How many times has a cruiseline done something to a lesser degree than expected and paid for. That is being dishonest to the customer.

I was on Caribbean Princess last year. Their theatre is so small, I think it would take 3 shows for eveyone to see a particular performance. Sometimes they only had one showing. How is this good from a customer standpoint. I don't like showing up an hour early to see a not so great show. I just consider the $20 a mute point. We didn't get to see one show because they were always sold out.

Archived