sharing beverage cards

OK, what do I need to know about options for my 3 teens to get soda, lemonade, tea, water, juice during the day. Should we bring big cups with lids for things other than soda, or must we always use the provided cups? If I don't get soda cards then we can get big refillable cups once a day per person cheaper than buying the soda cards, correct?

We are going on our first cruise on Aug. 6 on RCCL and I am in the dark on this drink thing. How easy is it to get water if I bring a water bottle? :rolleyes:

turkey:

Each cruiseline does things differently, so you'll probably get better advice on the RCCL board. That being said, all cruiselines offer soda cards, they also offer sodas for sale by the glass (and cans, usually) just like any bar or restaurant. Small glasses cost less than large ones, of course. I've never heard of a refillable cup deal on a cruiseline, but again, RCCL might be different, ask over there.

Some lines provide free lemonade and fruit punch (Celebrity = Yes, Princess = No).

Some lines you can just show your soda card and they fill a bar glass, some you might need a special cup.

Tap water on a ship is always very clean/safe. They distill their own water onboard, so you can bring a bottle with you and refill it as often as you like.

It's 2 years since our last Princess cruise (but only 3 months until our next one!), and I really don't recall anything other than water taps, but I could be forgetting something (but I wouldn't forget lemonade!) They might have iced tea, but I don't drink it so I wouldn't notice. And the rooms all have fridges, so we always bring cans of soda and bottles of juice to take care of most of our beverage needs.

On our last princess cruise we ordered a pitcher of orange and cranberry juice and mixed it with vodka all day long...."a madras" Our shipboard account bill was still $600. Our next cruise in 30 days I will send myself a gift through princess for a liter of grey goose for $32. - not a bad price at all. Gotta have my caffeine free diet coke which I will pack a few.

For a forum where so much valuable information is available, it's a shame I have to waste so much time wading through everyone's opinions on the "morality" of sharing a coke card, or choosing to bring my child on board. Frankly, your chatisements aren't likely change anyone's perception of right or wrong. It only diverts the thread from it's valuable contents...toward a trivial and pointless argument.

I love Cruise Critic!! However, noone enjoys the way these threads fall apart with your judgements.

Lighten up...and go on vacation!

Ado,

Your idea of spiking your juices with vodka...and thereby saving on your booze bill...sounds like a great idea to me!!! I'll try it on our cruise next week.

I'm unlikely to make into heaven after breaking that rule though...

On our last princess cruise we ordered a pitcher of orange and cranberry juice and mixed it with vodka all day long...."a madras" Our shipboard account bill was still $600. Our next cruise in 30 days I will send myself a gift through princess for a liter of grey goose for $32. - not a bad price at all. Gotta have my caffeine free diet coke which I will pack a few.

I also sent myself a gift of Grey Goose vodka on our Princess cruise. I love the idea. It's less expensive than my local liquor shop, maybe a few bucks more than the airport duty free shops and not only do I not have to schlep it, but I get nice martini glasses to use with it without having to ask for any "favors" from my room steward. It's a win-win situation to me!

OK, what do I need to know about options for my 3 teens to get soda, lemonade, tea, water, juice during the day. Should we bring big cups with lids for things other than soda, or must we always use the provided cups? If I don't get soda cards then we can get big refillable cups once a day per person cheaper than buying the soda cards, correct?

We are going on our first cruise on Aug. 6 on RCCL and I am in the dark on this drink thing. How easy is it to get water if I bring a water bottle? :rolleyes:

Turkeycreek, you have a few options for your teens:

1) Purchase soda card for each of them so they can get unlimited sodas throughout the cruise. They will be provided with a souviner cup, but it is not necessary to use this cup to obtain a soda. (Many teens think they're "uncool"). They just have to show their seapass card to the server (it will have a sticker on it indicating they've purchased the soda card).

2) Beverages are also available in the Windjammer cafe at no cost. During breakfast, orange, apple and perhaps grapefruit is served. Later, ice-tea, lemonade and a red coloured fruit punch.

3) All water on the ship goes through a state-of-the-art filtration system. It is as good (or better) than most of the bottled waters. So just use the tap to fill your own water bottle.

4) If the kids are not big soda drinkers, it may be more economical to have them drink the free drinks from the Windjammer, and order individual sodas.

You may find it convenient to pack a thermal mug. I usually send my DH to the Windjammer in the morning to get my morning coffee. I find the small cups from room service and too small for my liking, so he kindly fills my big thermal mug so we can start our day enjoying the quiet and beauty out on our balcony. These mugs are also handy for keeping your drinks cool around the pool. Plastic glasses are available in the Windjammer Cafe for the ice-tea, lemonade, etc., and you may take your drinks out of the restaurant, to the pool, back to your room, etc. Using my own thermal cup keeps my drink cooler.

Have a wonderful first cruise. What ship are you sailing on?

For a forum where so much valuable information is available, it's a shame I have to waste so much time wading through everyone's opinions on the "morality" of sharing a coke card, or choosing to bring my child on board. Frankly, your chatisements aren't likely change anyone's perception of right or wrong. It only diverts the thread from it's valuable contents...toward a trivial and pointless argument
Well, Josassoc, since the original poster was asking if this could be done, I'd have to say that a "yes" or "No" answer in and of itself wouldn't really be helpful. Not sure where the "child on board" part of your argument comes into play. But I LOVE the irony of your chastisement of us telling us not to chastise others!! Well played!!!

Sorry about the waste of your time, but if you see where the thread is heading, you honestly don't have to read the rest of it.

I(with an occasional root beer courtesy of their brother:p )

On RCL Classic Med trip there WAS NO ROOT BEER - what a tragedy :( Especially coming from Ireland where there is no root beer. Imagine a land of no root beer??????:confused:

Also no chocolate milk on board as for Ireland the chocolate milk is horrible yuck.

Okay I am probably trying to relive my childhood but on the plus side there was fruit loops phew. :D

on RCL Classic Med trip there WAS NO ROOT BEER - Okay I am probably trying to relive my childhood but on the plus side there was fruit loops phew. :D

I am trying to recall if I ever saw root beer on any cruise. Since majortiy of cruise lines only carry coke products--thats what you get-- Does coke even do a root beer product?? I dont think that has anythingto do with it being a med cruise. as far as choc milk---waaa. That woulda made ME upset as i had to have that every day.

as far as choc milk---waaa. That woulda made ME upset as i had to have that every day.

So did I! till I was taken to Ireland before there was ANY chololate milk here. Going cold turkey in a strange country at age 8 over chocolate milk aint funny :eek:

Just because it seems to bother a bunch of people on here I'm going to abuse the $**T out of the soda card. 12 people in our group sharing 1 soda card!

I'm also ripping the ship videos to my laptop and burning them onto DVDs for everyone that's in our group, hence "stealing" the video from the stateroom TV.

Oooohhhh I'm sooo bad!

Now you reply with wow if everyone does that I'm going to steal from the grocery store, or stop paying taxes, blah blah blah.

But seriously, I'm doing the above 2 things :D

I have an interesting twist on this. This happened to me just this past week. We sat at a table with a family of 4 at dinner. Only one of them had a drink card. She is the only one who used it. However, one night, she hadn't finished the soda she started with when the drink waiter brought another. She said she wasn't going to touch it and if anyone else wanted it. I myself am against sharing beverage cards, I think it is stealing...but in this situation...I'm not so sure. She didn't ask for a refill, it was brought to her, what does everyone else think? I know that if you don't think sharing beverage cards is wrong, then obviously you think this is ok. But I want to know from those who DO think sharing is wrong, is it wrong in THIS specific situation to share because it was already given to her without her even asking?

I have an interesting twist on this. This happened to me just this past week. We sat at a table with a family of 4 at dinner. Only one of them had a drink card. She is the only one who used it. However, one night, she hadn't finished the soda she started with when the drink waiter brought another. She said she wasn't going to touch it and if anyone else wanted it. I myself am against sharing beverage cards, I think it is stealing...but in this situation...I'm not so sure. She didn't ask for a refill, it was brought to her, what does everyone else think? I know that if you don't think sharing beverage cards is wrong, then obviously you think this is ok. But I want to know from those who DO think sharing is wrong, is it wrong in THIS specific situation to share because it was already given to her without her even asking?

Since it was brought without her even asking, I have no problem with anyone else drinking it. Otherwise, it would just go to waste.

I just got off the Carnival Legend. I bought 2 soda cards for my girls ($76). I will never do it again. Was not worth it for my family. For the person who said soda is free at dinner, it is NOT. At least on Carnival. Next time I will bring my own. Seems the way to go now adays.

I'm so worried. If I spend my time on my next cruise watching to see who uses a soda card, who shares a soda card, who doesn't have their own soda card, who doesn't dress "correctly" for dinner, who wears jeans in the dining room, who wears white shoes after Labor Day, and who wears velvet in the Carribean, will I miss the Panama Canal when we sail through it?

Soda Card:

When you enter the canal it is pre-dawn and when you leave it is before dinner. So you really do not have to worry. It takes almost all day to go through the canal. And you will not be in the Carribean until AFTER you cross the Canal. Your problems are different. So assuming you keep your sanity you can do all these without missing the Panama Canal crossing. Don't Worry Be Happy! /Sultan

I'm so worried. If I spend my time on my next cruise watching to see who uses a soda card, who shares a soda card, who doesn't have their own soda card, who doesn't dress "correctly" for dinner, who wears jeans in the dining room, who wears white shoes after Labor Day, and who wears velvet in the Carribean, will I miss the Panama Canal when we sail through it?

I just got off the Carnival Legend. I bought 2 soda cards for my girls ($76). I will never do it again. Was not worth it for my family. For the person who said soda is free at dinner, it is NOT. At least on Carnival. Next time I will bring my own. Seems the way to go now adays.

Soda is free in the dining room for kids UNDER 12. It states so on their web page.

My three kids are pop drinkers but on the cruise like the fruit punch well enought to drink that. My 11 year was charged each time she ordered pop in the dining room. It was Carnival Elation.

Its for fountain soda-- BUt I would take that bill and a copy of the carnival FAQ and send it along and ask what the heck was that charge for?

A can of soda will be cahrged for-- a cup of soda will be free. If you knew they are gonna be for free....you coulda stated that to the person. Now you know for the next time--

OR MAYBE--- its different in the summer??

Archived