sharing beverage cards

I am traveling w/ 3 kids, only the 17 yr old is a big soda drinker. I plan on getting the card for him and then if someone else feels like a soda he can fetch it (of course that is assuming he is actually hanging out with us which may not be likely:D ) I figure at $1.50 each my other guys would have to drink 3 sodas a day to be worth the cost. Water, iced tea and lemonade is free--talked to the 12 and 9 yr old and they are cool with that (with an occasional root beer courtesy of their brother:p )

I have also heard that if you make friends with the bartender he will just hand over 3 sodas at a time :o

Good luck

Melissa

I am traveling w/ 3 kids, only the 17 yr old is a big soda drinker. I plan on getting the card for him and then if someone else feels like a soda he can fetch it (of course that is assuming he is actually hanging out with us which may not be likely:D ) I figure at $1.50 each my other guys would have to drink 3 sodas a day to be worth the cost. Water, iced tea and lemonade is free--talked to the 12 and 9 yr old and they are cool with that (with an occasional root beer courtesy of their brother:p )

I have also heard that if you make friends with the bartender he will just hand over 3 sodas at a time :o

Good luck

Melissa

Melissa- the other two kids will get soda for free in the dining room only. the 17 year old you would have to pay for. Just be aware that the soda cards are for soda in a small glass and you can only get one at a time- The cruiselines does sell a soda cup for 6-7 bucks that can be refilled. He may benifit from that added cup- especialy at dinner when the bar waiter only comes around maybe once the whole time you are eating. Being a soda drinker that one cup full of soda willnot get him through the dinner.

Soda comes from the bar waiter... ice tea comes from the asst waiter.

I dont know about making friends with a bartender-- I know when they stop to get you a free soda--they make nothing at all on that so service is less then slow.

Serene56,

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should get the 17 yr old to switch to lemonade too! I don't know if it is worth the $7 for a cup (we'll think about it) I didn't know the kids get soda in the DR!

Is that all lines? We are going on RCI

thanks again,

Melissa

the cards were separate from the S&S, and had a space to sign your name. Even though I did sign my name, it rubbed off (it was a plain, felt-tipped pen) and we passed it between us once or twice. as for it being dishonest, it's a judgement call, and other questionable things are done just as often on cruises (smuggling in alcohol, scanning photos, taking food off the ship for excursions). I personally think that for the price we pay, sodas should be included.

the "serving size" of the sodas was about 3/4 can to a glass, just FYI.

as for it being dishonest, it's a judgement call, and other questionable things are done just as often on cruises (smuggling in alcohol, scanning photos, taking food off the ship for excursions). I personally think that for the price we pay, sodas should be included.
Ever hear of "2 wrongs don't make a right"? Sharing a soda card is dishonest and against the rules. If you want to try to justify it to yourself, go ahead, but please don't try to tell the community that it's ok, especially if the reason is:

A) Other people do this or similar things which are against the rules

or

B) This is the way it should be.

It isn't the way it is, and if you want a cruiseline that includes sodas, there are such things out there. You're just going to have to pay more.

I personally think I should get a nice souvenir included with my cruise. Is it ok if I take one of the nice chaise loungers home with me? I saw someone else take a bathrobe, so shouldn't that be ok, too?

Melissa- cards are different on RCL. You get a sticker on your sign and sail card stating free sodas. Yes its still a cup at a time. Royal caribbean costing a little bit more for their cards then Carnival. But on Royal that includes juices-like apple juice, orange juice other the whats on the breakfast buffet coz they are free.

Does you son like choc milk- he can get those at dinner too. Just request a fw cartons.

I agree that for the price we pay, soft drinks SHOULD be included (and I think it is crappy for the cruise line to not include them)...BUT they arent, so in my opinion sharing drink cards can not be justified using that reason.

Ever hear of "2 wrongs don't make a right"? Sharing a soda card is dishonest and against the rules. If you want to try to justify it to yourself, go ahead, but please don't try to tell the community that it's ok, especially if the reason is:

A) Other people do this or similar things which are against the rules

or

B) This is the way it should be.

It isn't the way it is, and if you want a cruiseline that includes sodas, there are such things out there. You're just going to have to pay more.

I personally think I should get a nice souvenir included with my cruise. Is it ok if I take one of the nice chaise loungers home with me? I saw someone else take a bathrobe, so shouldn't that be ok, too?

first off, I don't feel the need to justify myself to you, or anyone else. and I don't think Carnival is going to be financially flushed down the toilet over a few sodas. secondly, this debate is so OLD, with the same points being made again and again, I honestly don't see the benefit in beating the dead horse. and lastly, if it's an option that *I* personally don't have a problem with, that's going to save someone some money without being arrested, I'm going to offer it to them as an option. sorry you have a problem with it, but that really doesn't concern me at all. :D she asked what the procedure was for the soda cards, I told her. end of story.

That is great logic there. You know, I think I'll apply that to my everyday life. I'm going to go to the store and instead of paying for my groceries, I'll hide them in my pocket. It isn't going to make the store go out of business and it will save me money, so it MUST be ok.

How can you justify that it is ok to suggest stealing to someone?

Melissa- cards are different on RCL. You get a sticker on your sign and sail card stating free sodas. Yes its still a cup at a time. Royal caribbean costing a little bit more for their cards then Carnival. But on Royal that includes juices-like apple juice, orange juice other the whats on the breakfast buffet coz they are free.

Does you son like choc milk- he can get those at dinner too. Just request a fw cartons.

Thanks Serene56

I am thinking 1 card for the 17 year old will do for him, the other 2 will make do with a soda at dinner (someone said it was free for them) and then water or lemonade the rest of the time. Honestly, I don't know that I'll even see the teenager while we are on the ship;) he'll be making new friends all over the place

Still up in the air about smuggling a bottle of wine (I know, I know, dishonest)

Thanks

Melissa

Right, the card is PAID for for UNLIMITED drinks PER PERSON. I understand what you are trying to say, but unfortunately, it is only for 1 person. With that logic, it would be right to go to an all you can eat buffet with a whole family, but only pay for one person and still have everyone eat and rationalize it by saying that it is unlimited.

And you are also right about about it making little difference to Carnival "if it's one person in the party drinking 20 sodas a day, or two people drinking 10 sodas a day." And I'm sure it would make little difference to a CD store if I stole a few, but the point is that I didn't pay for it, and if you only buy one drink card, you are paying for ONE PERSON to use it.

All of your points make sense and I do agree with most of them, however, it still doesn't make stealing right.

I honestly think it makes little difference to Carnival if it's one person in the party drinking 20 sodas a day, or two people drinking 10 sodas a day.
You may be correct. Why don't you ask Carnival if it makes a difference to them, and find out for certain. That should settle the discussion, as everything else we've said is really only an opinion.

Still up in the air about smuggling a bottle of wine (I know, I know, dishonest)Melissa

No need to smuggle the wine- WIne is allowed to be carried on within a reasonable amount.

Yes, you are correct that you wont see your teen. Please let him know NOW what is expected of him while on the cruise. I made it mandatory that dinner is to be as a family since we took the vacation as a family. Also Port time was to be done with me too. But other then port days and dinner I never ever seen my kids.

You may be correct. Why don't you ask Carnival if it makes a difference to them, and find out for certain. That should settle the discussion, as everything else we've said is really only an opinion.

I'll be sure to get old "uncle bob" on the phone using speed dial.:D

Hmmm,seems everyone getting little bit testy over a soda.... go on holidays and enjoy yourselves!!

Sandy--you aint seen nothing yet-- wait til you see posts about formal night and people want to wear jeans. Or wait til you see posts from people who dont want to pay the tips to the people. Even better yet are the posts who bring babies and since they paid good money the baby WILL be swimming with the diaper on...etc. etc

This posting is very calm

That is too bad, i guess i am just one that believes everyone has an opinion and just because someone elses is different than mine does not make mine or thiers any less correct.... can you imagine if we were all of the SAME opinion? lol, would be pretty boring world!! Vacation time , in my opinion, is a time to kick back and just enjoy, we all work so hard for them!!

Having a different opinion is fine, but when actions affect others, then it is a problem. Stealing from the cruiselines affects others.

All of the other "hot topics", jeans, tips, etc, also affect others. People tend to be narrow minded and don't think anything they do affects others. Not only do those things affect others, it reflects society in general.

I have already told him that I expect to see him for dinner (and the excursions I have paid for) Afterall, it is his last family vaca before going off to college and it is a "family" vacation! He is extremely excited as are we all!!!

(by the way, we are travelling on RCI and I have heard that their company line is "RCI reserves t he right to prohibit carry on of beverages" (I am paraphrasing) but on other boards people have done it (and I am not talking a bunch of stuff here!)

Only 6 months to go!!!!

Thanks

Melissa

The reason that RCI can prohibit people from bringing on soda/water is because people tend to try to carry on coolers full of several cases. THe rolling coolers take a lot of time to empty then upload onto the convyor belts. SO, if they speciafy that they CAN prohibit the bringing on of non alcohil beverages they are protecting themselves for when they can tell people--no way Jose. a 12 pack is good. a case of 2 liters is NOT.

Archived