Beach bums looking for the best beaches along our cruise.

belugos

Hello everyone. I just booked my second cruise as a last minute impulse (well - had to get to Tampa for business and wanted a vacation anyway, so why not?) and iwll be leaving next week to southern Caribbean with RCI, from San Juan.

We are beach lovers, who sometimes enjoy historic places, etc... but primarily we are looking for beaches, snorkeling, lazy days. Our itinerary will be :

SJU-STT-SLU-PTP-ANU-STX-SJU.jpg

Can anyone recommend the best and easiest to reach beaches along the way? I did some research and found that I most likely will be visiting :

In St Thomas - Sapphire beach or Emerald (already found day passes there)

In St Croix - Sandcastle hotel (already found day passes there)

In St Lucia - no idea yet

In Pointe a Pitre - no idea yet

InSt John's (Antigua) - no idea yet

I would really appreciate some feedback on what to look for, and tips on how to get there. My ideal day consists of leaving the ship in the morning, getting to the beach, renting chairs, tanning a lot and doing some snorkeling, lunch, back to the ship at 3pm or 4pm.

One or two days I will likely join one of the cruise tours to go snorkeling and visit the city, but have not decided where this should take place.

MANY thanks from this (still) newbie cruiser!

I had a great time at Valley Church Beach in Antigua. We got a cab (with others) by going to the tour booth at the end of the dock. It costs us $8 each way. You can take a bus for much less, but I preferred to save time by taking the cab. This is a drop-dead beautiful beach, but the water is a milky-turquoise color and it's not good for snorkelling. They have water sports available, though.

St. Lucia is more of an island scenery tour type of island instead of a beach island. We took a tour that took us to Jalousie Beach, which is located at the base of the Pitons Mountains. We went by a combination of road-trip and boat ride to get there, but I've read that some of the local guides have boats that go directly there. This is a beautiful location with excellent snorkeling off to the side. The bottom was very rocky getting in though- you really need water shoes. Some of the beach area belongs to a private resort, so we had to stay off the side area. The views are worth trip. You can also get excellent views of the Pitons after the sailaway in the evening, If you are lucky, the captain will sail close by the shore for a front row view

For the best beach off your list, I'd recommend island hopping from St Thomas to St John to get to Trunk Bay.

^^^ THIS!!! :eek:

Book the cheapest excursion to St. John just for the boat ride over which leaves right from the pier - no cab rides to Red Hook, etc. Cab ride to Trunk Bay. Rent a chair or two, eat at the little food stand. Free rum punch on the trip back. Best day ever! The GF still says this might have been the best day of her life.

Voted one of the Top 10 beaches in the world. It's absolutely stunning, and we got a nice history lesson on the boat ride.

Google Trunk Bay snorkeling.

IMG_0282.JPG

I agree in St Thomas ... go to St John! One of our best beach days ever. My life goal is to find the best beach ever and Trunk Bay & St John is #3 only beat out so far by:

Auitaki, Cook Islands

Harbour Island (pink beach) Bahamas

St John, Trunk Bay

Its been a long time since we were in Antiqua and it was only our second cruise so I can't remember any names of beaches or where we went. I do remember though that we loved it :)

Southern Caribbean is a great itinerary for those in search of awesome beaches.

Have a very great time!

For the best beach off your list, I'd recommend island hopping from St Thomas to St John to get to Trunk Bay.

This. Trunk Bay is my personal favorite.

The boat docks in St. Thomas and you have to take a ferry to St. John (the island, not city in Antiqua)

We've been to both Emerald and Sapphire. Both pretty; but beware, as Emerald is right near the airport and there is the noise of planes landing frequently. These beaches are NO comparison to Trunk Bay in St John, though!!! The entire island is gorgeous and not to be missed!

Teddie

I had a great time at Valley Church Beach in Antigua. We got a cab (with others) by going to the tour booth at the end of the dock. It costs us $8 each way. You can take a bus for much less, but I preferred to save time by taking the cab. This is a drop-dead beautiful beach, but the water is a milky-turquoise color and it's not good for snorkelling. They have water sports available, though.

St. Lucia is more of an island scenery tour type of island instead of a beach island. We took a tour that took us to Jalousie Beach, which is located at the base of the Pitons Mountains. We went by a combination of road-trip and boat ride to get there, but I've read that some of the local guides have boats that go directly there. This is a beautiful location with excellent snorkeling off to the side. The bottom was very rocky getting in though- you really need water shoes. Some of the beach area belongs to a private resort, so we had to stay off the side area. The views are worth trip. You can also get excellent views of the Pitons after the sailaway in the evening, If you are lucky, the captain will sail close by the shore for a front row view

Total agreement -

Plus Trunk Bay in St John - Take the shuttle bus from St Thomas to Red Hook to catch the ferry to St John (Driver will ask what time you want collecting on your return and will be there waiting when back at Red Hook).

I agree with going to trunk Bay. We did this last year with a ship Excursion called Destination St John. [there were 4 different excusions that all began with this same title] It was $40 pp. We figured that the taxi to Red Hook and the ferry round trip would equal the same price without the hassel. We almost never book with the ship for excursions. But, this one made sense. [and they gave us a rum punch on the way back]:p

We went to Sapphire Beach in St Thomas a few years ago and had a great time. The beach was fantastic, not crowded and the sand was lovely. If we ever go back to St Thomas, I'll be heading out there for sure. Here's a few pics I took when we were out there.

P1050356.JPG

P1050357.JPG

P1050358.JPG

P1050360.JPG

P1050366.JPG

Wow...looks like Trunk Bay is THE place to see! Thanks, folks! I will sure add that to the plans as I dont want to miss such a place.

Regarding Pigeon Island - yes - after I posted here last night I did a lot of reading and many people suggested that place.

I was born and raised in South America, now am living in cold (and beautiful) Canada, so my "beach fix" is a necessity a few times a year.

What about Guadalupe? Any suggestions?

In St. Croix, on the advice of one of the AOS bartenders, we went to Rainbow Beach. Loved it and had a great time. There is an outside bar/restaurant called Rhythms. Also had a guy who played the guitar and sang. There was a roped offer area for snorkeling.

1756465268_Cruise2012120.jpg.51341496d67998575d1ed2d95526467f.jpg

1704864694_Cruise2012121.jpg.d9d782b79202ad74e163f421ede8dccb.jpg

100_0084.jpg.0e3ea53b31961616adbb3ca53f6bd345.jpg

This. Trunk Bay is my personal favorite.

The boat docks in St. Thomas and you have to take a ferry to St. John (the island, not city in Antiqua)

So I have noticed your posts in the past and was just wondering, I see you are from Florida and appear to be a Bengal fan. Just wondering how you came to be a Bengal fan.I am a huge Bengal fan too.

Hello everyone. I just booked my second cruise as a last minute impulse (well - had to get to Tampa for business and wanted a vacation anyway, so why not?) and iwll be leaving next week to southern Caribbean with RCI, from San Juan.

We are beach lovers, who sometimes enjoy historic places, etc... but primarily we are looking for beaches, snorkeling, lazy days. Our itinerary will be :

Can anyone recommend the best and easiest to reach beaches along the way? I did some research and found that I most likely will be visiting :

I would really appreciate some feedback on what to look for, and tips on how to get there. My ideal day consists of leaving the ship in the morning, getting to the beach, renting chairs, tanning a lot and doing some snorkeling, lunch, back to the ship at 3pm or 4pm.

One or two days I will likely join one of the cruise tours to go snorkeling and visit the city, but have not decided where this should take place.

St. Thomas - I agree with Sapphire. Trunk Bay is nice but crowded. If you want a great alternative I would consider chartering a private sail from Red Hook out to Caneel Bay (St. John).

St. Croix - Probably my least favorite island. The Sandcastle will do but this is probably the weakest Island in terms of beaches.

St. Lucia - Anse Chastenet Beach

Antigua - Take a cab to Dickenson Bay. There is a huge Sandals resort located there. Resist the temptation to hit the beach in front of the Sandals (on the right) and head left about 50 yards down the walking path. There are a couple of nice restaurants and a very secluded quiet beach that you will really enjoy.

I'm afraid I have no experience with Guadalope.

Good luck!

In St. Lucia, a local with a motorboat took us to a crescent-shape beach accessible only by boat. Me & wife were only ones there. The most beautiful place I've ever seen. He was right beside the cruise ship. $40 R/T. Sorry, no name of person or beach -- it was a few years ago.

I don't remember a beach in Guadalupe.

Loved, loved, loved Valley Church Bay. The water is an amazing milky turquoise blue. Great beach bars and amazing view. There were several ships docked that day and the beach never felt crowded. Took a cab and paid $8 pp. Looking forward to going back next year.

St Thomas - we went to Coki Beach. It was nice, not amazing but good. Best part was feeding the fish. They sold dog biscuits for $1 and if you held it under the water the fish would come and nibble at it. The Parrot fish were beautiful. Some nice snorkeling but the current was tricky.

Enjoy!

I am one of the few that goes the other way and says don't waste half your day going to St John when you have gorgous beaches on St Thomas. We love Sapphire and think the snorkeling there is every bit as good as what we have seen at Truck or Cinnamon in St john.

St Croix - good choice - we really like Sandcastle and plan to go there again in May

St Lucia - Reduit Beach. Absolutely gorgeous beach, water activities if you want. One of our favorite places

Antigua - Dickenson Bay by Tony's Beach Bar. Little cafe/bar there. They make some of the best homemade soup ever.

All of these beaches (we are beach bums also) are very easy to get to by taxi. Just grab a cab when you get off the ship and tell them where you want to go. In St Lucia and Antigua they will also come back for you at a pre-determined time if you want. At Sapphire, taxi's are readily available and same with St Croix, the cabs go back/forth from there all day. Enjoy. Southern Caribbean is by far our favorites

In St Lucia, we took a catamaran sail to the Pitons..they stopped in a cove for a swim..It was a nice change, since we did beaches at every other port. It was a great excursion!!!!!:cool:

another vote for St John..we hike to Soloman beach (about a mile)...For St Martin ORIENT is our favorite!!!!

Archived