Bringing Foreign Currency

Condocat

I just picked up a variety of currencies from our bank needed for our upcoming trip to SE Asia, the UAE and Jordan. I friend of mine asked if they were all new bills. I stated they were not. She commented good luck with using them.

Has anyone experienced a problem with spending used or slightly used foreign currency you brought into a country you were visiting in the above mentioned areas?

Thanks.

You are always better off with the newest possible currency. It is not always true that everyone wants US$ rather than their local currency. I carry a variety of currency when overseas.

Correct but when they do take it they want it crisp and they'll tell you that beforehand so you can prepare.

I just picked up a variety of currencies from our bank needed for our upcoming trip to SE Asia, the UAE and Jordan. I friend of mine asked if they were all new bills. I stated they were not. She commented good luck with using them.

Your friend definitely has the wrong end of the stick. When you are bringing US Dollars into a foreign country--especially when you are required to pay an entry or exit fee in $US at an airport--they often will only take the very newest versions with the hallmarks and color bands. But when using local currency I certainly think notes that have been in circulation for a time would be far less likely to be questioned. Now when I have recently bought Pounds and Euros from my local bank they have always been crisp new high-denomination bills making me need to find somewhere to get change for them as soon as I arrive.

When I can I use the local ATM, I think the less the developed country the higher the likelyhood that condition of bill becomes an issue. But in places like that good ole crips franklins seem always to be accepted.

Your friend definitely has the wrong end of the stick. When you are bringing US Dollars into a foreign country--especially when you are required to pay an entry or exit fee in $US at an airport--they often will only take the very newest versions with the hallmarks and color bands. But when using local currency I certainly think notes that have been in circulation for a time would be far less likely to be questioned. Now when I have recently bought Pounds and Euros from my local bank they have always been crisp new high-denomination bills making me need to find somewhere to get change for them as soon as I arrive.

We experience this in Rome. The ATM's don't just spit out e20 notes but e100, e50, e20, e10 & e5. Most clerks HATE making change. Sometimes they just don't have it in the till. I've received the stink eye more than once for using an e50 note for an e30 purchase. At a supermarket the cashier had to get change from a customer two places behind me. The situation reminded me of an 'I Love Lucy' episode.

On the other hand they are EXTREMELY patient waiting for you to go through your coin purse.

Archived