Disembarkation in Ensenada & Return to San Diego

jeffbook

Looking for information and experiences when disembarking in Ensenada and returning via Celebrity transfer to San Diego. How long does the total trip take, what is the procedure at the border, and where does the transfer end in San Diego.

I have searched in the posts for West Coast cruises and ports and want more current information than what I was able to find there.

We are considering the Seattle to Ensenada Wine Cruise on Solstice this September and we are concerned about the part of the trip that is out of Celebrity's control.

Thanks in advance for any inforamtion

The process can vary. It is usually about 3 hours. They will get you off the ship very early and board you on a nice bus. Sit on the left side -- it is a lovely drive along the coast. I don't think I've ever seen so many buses in one place. They call you by bus number.

The border is obviously the challenging part. Once we had to get off the bus with our carry-on and walk through the border and then back to the bus another time an agent came on the bus and cleared us from there. (I don't think that is common anymore)

The buses will go the San Diego airport. They're loaded by airline. We're local so we just picked the most convenient terminal.

Attitude is everything -- some have reported rougher times.

I have searched in the posts for West Coast cruises and ports and want more current information than what I was able to find there.

Using the search feature here on the Celebrity board, simply enter "Ensenada" and you'll find a gazillion threads loaded with info and experiences of those who've embarked/disembarked in Ensenada and made the pilgrimage to/from San Diego

Bottom line.....plan on a long, slow travel day and pack your patience after everything I've read on this subject. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth and from what I've read, I think the best way around this debark day is if you can afford to take one more day off and overnight in San Diego. Celebrity advises not to book flights before 5:00 pm. On other threads, though, some people have said they're at the airport as early as noon. So a long bus trip, finished with a long wait at the airport. We were booked on this cruise but canceled it. Just wish there was a way around this Ensenada debark.

For what it's worth and from what I've read, I think the best way around this debark day is if you can afford to take one more day off and overnight in San Diego. Celebrity advises not to book flights before 5:00 pm. On other threads, though, some people have said they're at the airport as early as noon. So a long bus trip, finished with a long wait at the airport. We were booked on this cruise but canceled it. Just wish there was a way around this Ensenada debark.

I just wanted to point out that some of the Hawaii cruises arrive in SD very early (like 4 am or something). I don't believe Solstice is scheduled to dock til 7 am, so I don't think disembarkation will be as early on Solstice. I'm doing the cruise & booked a red-eye home, so I have all day to get to SD airport.

This is incorrect--

Celebrity advises not to book before 1:30pm---but noon is normally doable-

frank

Looking for information and experiences when disembarking in Ensenada and returning via Celebrity transfer to San Diego. How long does the total trip take, what is the procedure at the border, and where does the transfer end in San Diego.

We are considering the Seattle to Ensenada Wine Cruise on Solstice this September and we are concerned about the part of the trip that is out of Celebrity's control.

Thanks in advance for any inforamtion

Oh my.....I sure would not cancel my Wine Cruise just for this reason. We have disembarked in Ensenada several times and it is not that bad. The view is nice from the bus and, except for the early morning departure, it was an OK day. Just know that it will be a different way to end your cruise. If possible, I would stay in San Diego that night just to make it even less stressful.

This is incorrect--

frank

I can tell you that I've checked multiple times and for this cruise X is advising not to book flight before 5:00. I think it's because the ship docks later than others returning to Ensenada.

This is incorrect--

frank

If you can find the thread Century 23rd March 2012, you will find a variety of times that the 50 buses took, ranging from 3-8hrs.

Tales of drivers getting lost, or their buses being impounded.

Read the last few pages, from post 1566 onwards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360810&page=88

This is incorrect--

frank

I can tell you that I've checked multiple times and for this cruise X is advising not to book flight before 5:00. I think it's because the ship docks later than others returning to Ensenada.

Frank (fb0075)

By chance are you referring to cruises that end (disembark) in San Diego when you reference a Noon flight as "doable" vs. this discussion regarding Ensenada disembarkation?

Worst cruising experience of my life.

In 2011 my husband and I did a Hawaiian cruise departing from Ensenada, Mexico. When I asked multiple Celebrity representatives how long the bus ride was supposed to take, they said 2-3 hours. It took 6+ hours. We were stuck at the border forever, and when we finally got to Ensenada and to the docks (our ship was a couple football fields away), we were stuck on the bus for over an hour for no apparent reason. Let me tell you, everybody was pissed. We all missed dinner and didn't get to our rooms until about 10:00pm when it was supposed to be much, much earlier. I will never do a cruise embarking or disembarking from Ensenada EVER again. :mad:

However, I will always cruise with Celebrity. They were very sorry for the delay.

I just wanted to point out that some of the Hawaii cruises arrive in SD very early (like 4 am or something). I don't believe Solstice is scheduled to dock til 7 am, so I don't think disembarkation will be as early on Solstice.

Not true if you are referring to Solstice's arrival at Ensenada on 6 May... Our itinerary says that we arrive at 3:00 AM!

That said, I'm still planning to spend the night in San Diego...

Not true if you are referring to Solstice's arrival at Ensenada on 6 May... Our itinerary says that we arrive at 3:00 AM!

Actually, in Sept the Solstice arrives Ensenada at 7 am (Sept wine cruise).

Most of the worst Ensenada/San Diego hassles seem to involve departures from Ensenada, although there are certainly plenty of complaints both ways.

I have to admit, I did have to give the bus driver a hand. Some idiot passengers had seen a sign for the border and were telling the diver to go that way. I had to tell them to shut up and let the driver drive. The sign was for the San Yisidro crossing Otay Mesa is the preferred commercial crossing and that was where we were heading.

You do need your patience. :)

Just to save confusion, the OP is referring to the southbound September wine cruise.

Both cruises May 6 and Sept 23, will follow similar proceedures. The ship will dock early in the morning (2 or 3 am) and luggage will be loaded on busses according to your disembarkation number. You will begin offloading at 6 or 7 am.

David

Both cruises May 6 and Sept 23, will follow similar proceedures. The ship will dock early in the morning (2 or 3 am) and luggage will be loaded on busses according to your disembarkation number. You will begin offloading at 6 or 7 am.

David

Not according to X's site. Scheduled return for the Sept wine cruise is 7 am. Feel free to check it out. OP and I are referring to the Sept wine cruise, which is 9/13. Not sure what 9/23 is.

Its amazing the responses from folks that admit that they have never done this but "" IN THEIR OPINION""--

I have just called Celebrity and they RECCOMMEND departures later than 1:30-2PM--

Also, arrives at 3AM on the 6th of May

it is easier to check before rebuking someone--

ALSO-----many people have said they made 11:30 am flights--

If you tell the ship they will put you on the first busses--

OF COURSE, anything COULD happen but thats LIFE!:D

FRANK

We are referring to the upcoming Hawaii cruise on May 6th 2013

frank

Its amazing the responses from folks that admit that they have never done this but "" IN THEIR OPINION""--

I have just called Celebrity and they RECCOMMEND departures later than 1:30-2PM--

Also, arrives at 3AM on the 6th of May

it is easier to check before rebuking someone--

Speaking of which, again, the OP is referring to the Sept wine cruise and I can assure you I have spoken with a Celebrity rep and they recommended no flights before 5 p.m. out of San Diego.

David

I assure you DAVID'S info is correct!!

frank

We were on the Oct 22, 2012 Ensenada to Hawaii cruise on Millenium and David's info (DAllenTYC) on our extensive roll call on our checkin in SD and trip to Ensenada to board the Millie was always accurate. He works at the SD pier and is knowledgeable about both embarkation and disembarkation issues with Celebrity in regards to SD and Ensenada. The info he gave us before our trip allowed us to be as prepared as possible for that day.

He is referencing the arrival in Ensenada of the 9/13/13 Solstice wine cruise (on Sept 23) and the May 6th arrival of the 4/25/13 Solstice one way Hawaii, I believe. The time on itineraries refers to the time you can anticipate leaving the vessel most of the time, not the time that the ship may actually dock. In this case, the ship will dock at the times he stated and the buses will begin at the 6 or 7 am time on your itinerary.

Whether going to or from Ensenada, some issues, such as wait time at the border, knowledge of the bus drivers, etc are out of Celebrity's control. The shortest time possible seems to be 2 1/2 hours, but if buses stack up at the border or other issues occur, it can be much longer.

If you can find the thread Century 23rd March 2012, you will find a variety of times that the 50 buses took, ranging from 3-8hrs.

Tales of drivers getting lost, or their buses being impounded.

Read the last few pages, from post 1566 onwards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1360810&page=88

We were on the infamous Bus 47 re the March 23 2012 Hawaii cruise Jackie refers to, when we disembarked at Ensenada and bused to San Diego. I still have the file and copies of correspondence sent to Celebrity reporting our disastrous experiences. We were not the only bus to be affected but a journey we'll never forget. Just a well we stayed overnight in San Diego to recover before our flight home.

Hope they've got their act together by now.

Rita

Archived