TA price lower than booking direct

mill4023

I just booked a cruise on the NCL Epic through a TA and got a lower price than what I could get directly through NCL.

I've heard a lot of people say that TA's can offer OBC's, but are not allowed to offer a lower price than the rate offered directly by the cruiseline.

The deposit has been made and our specific cabins are reserved, so I've verified that I'm comparing "apples to apples".

The TA appears to be very reputable and gets almost all positive reviews, so I'm not sure if I need to be worried.

Perhaps they are offering a lower price because they are taking a lower commission, and passing that difference on to you.

I've heard that used to be common, but that many lines, including NCL, no longer allow that. That's what has me a little nervous.

While NCL as well as many other cruise lines have limited how much a TA can rebate, they still sell group rate rooms and other rooms to TA's and TA's buying groups. So its conceivable that a TA will have access to rates other than ones currently posted on the cruise lines website. But always make sure that you are comparing apples to apples, including all costs and fees.

I just booked a cruise on the NCL Epic through a TA and got a lower price than what I could get directly through NCL.

I've heard a lot of people say that TA's can offer OBC's, but are not allowed to offer a lower price than the rate offered directly by the cruiseline.

The deposit has been made and our specific cabins are reserved, so I've verified that I'm comparing "apples to apples".

The TA appears to be very reputable and gets almost all positive reviews, so I'm not sure if I need to be worried.

Our TA always gets us a lower price than NCL....when we sailed on the EPIC they had a group of rooms booked for that sailing so they were not only able to get us a much lower price but we received on-board credit as well.

Sounds like you are part of a group. Many times the TA's or their consortiums will book a group on speculation. Popular itins usually have these typeof groups.

I know when we do group cruises our TA will open them up to the community. The others get a good rate and we get the their cabins added for our 'free' berth.

Their cabins are not linked to ours for dining assignments so sometimes they have no idea they are part of our group.

My TA sets up groups on popular cruises for popular classes of rooms. It usually means a discount on the room, plus some OBC for us.

She plans to do the same for me next year, since we are planning a summer Med cruise. We will be booking 4 rooms I believe, and she figures her agency will sell the rest of the minimum for the group rate.

Thanks everyone. You made me feel more at ease. I was starting to worry if this was too good to be true. It's not a huge price difference for each cabin, but with 3 cabins and 9 people, it's definitely a nice savings.

I'm a TA, and I would say what others have said. Your TA's agency has probably blocked group space:) Almost always a better deal!

Have fun

When a TA retires they often turn over their active client list , to a reliable TA that they can trust to continue to provide the service and

$$$ they have come to expect.:)

Contact your old TA if possible to see who he/she turned clients over to.

Been there , done that myself . New TA is doing a better job than me .:eek:

That is not unusual. Often a TA offers a better price than cruise line direct.

We book our cruises through a PCC (personal cruise consultant - employed by HAL) and our prices are almost always higher than we would pay many TA's.

Yes, I know the obvious question. ;) :D (However, for our own reasons, it works for us.)

Archived