Want to buy Song of America?

Aquahound

i wonder if the love boat is for sale?

Which one? :D

There were two ships of that class, originally. Sea Venture and Island Venture. They were sold to Princess and became Pacific Princess and Island Princess. The primary ship used in the Love Boat was the Pacific Princess but occasionally the Island Princess would stand in.

The Pacific Princess was eventually sold to a scrapper in 2012 but has had a temporary(?) reprieve as the scrapper failed to pay up. So the ship is still intact and there is an effort going to save it.

The Island Princess currently sails for Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) as the MV Discovery. :)

Which one? :D

There were two ships of that class, originally. Sea Venture and Island Venture. They were sold to Princess and became Pacific Princess and Island Princess. The primary ship used in the Love Boat was the Pacific Princess but occasionally the Island Princess would stand in.

The Pacific Princess was eventually sold to a scrapper in 2012 but has had a temporary(?) reprieve as the scrapper failed to pay up. So the ship is still intact and there is an effort going to save it.

The Island Princess currently sails for Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) as the MV Discovery. :)

wow, thanks. I meant the pacific princess.

wow, thanks. I meant the pacific princess.

The scrapping price for her was 2.5 million euro and as far as I know she is still fairly intact. So since the scrap deal fell through I'm sure the current owner would entertain any fair offers! :D

The scrapping price for her was 2.5 million euro and as far as I know she is still fairly intact. So since the scrap deal fell through I'm sure the current owner would entertain any fair offers! :D

hahaha. not from me. I dont have that kind of money :eek:

Hey, if everyone on Cruise Critic chips in a few thousand dollars each...

How funny! I was just thinking the same thing and then I thought maybe I should read a little further before commenting:o. Sure enough, many had the same thoughts.:D

Not at all. I am also interested, hence starting the thread.

But that stuff was easy. Up for a challenge? Identify the 2nd and 3rd advertisements that dont have pictures. Number 2 almost sounds like a CCL Fantasy Class ship.

That's what people on the Carnival Board are saying

Hey, if everyone on Cruise Critic chips in a few thousand dollars each...

Why not :p and how much will New Orleans charge us to dock her there full time for a floating hotel. Can you imagine how much we can charge, per night, for people who want to stay pre and post cruise.

CruiseCritic of the Seas... few thousand per member buy in

Make our own itineraries... sail along the coasts so we can save $$ on flights...only things is you have to stay on for the 2+ weeks until you hit a different country and make it back home or hop off in a different country and fly home. Start picking people up in Alaska, work the way down the pacific seaboard, through the panama canal, over to FL, up the eastern seaboard, Atlantic Provinces, end in Quebec then work your way back dropping people off on the way.

Jeans and tanktops in the MDR

Wont be allowed on board WITHOUT a RumRunner

Individual deck chairs for everyone... with name plates

Smoking allowed wherever

"Steal" crew from the main lines - offer them US wages rather than tips

hmmm who's the CD going to be....

Due to the nature of the itineraries all people boarding CruiseCritic of the Seas must posess a valid passport ;)

Edited by Beth C

Right now the ex-Song of America is being chartered by Carnival Cruise Lines as a barracks ship for the crew of Carnival Destiny as she undergoes her major refurbishment and gutting to become the Carnival Sunshine at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Trieste, Italy.

Carnival Destiny arrives Trieste, Louis Olympia (ex-Song of America in the foreground)

8503057039_0693e8d075_b.jpg

Anyone remember the Song of America? She is for sale again for a mere 45 miliion Euros. Just scroll down a little. There's a nice picture of her. You'll also see other former RCI ships for sale, including the hideous Viking Serenade.

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p508.htm

So, do you get these notifications regularly, Paul?

Or were you checking out craigslist? ;) :D

Anyone remember the Song of America? She is for sale again for a mere 45 miliion Euros. Just scroll down a little. There's a nice picture of her. You'll also see other former RCI ships for sale, including the hideous Viking Serenade.

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p508.htm

Ugly, yes - but I had one of my best cruises on the Viking Serenade.

We sailed the Song of America back in April of 86 for our honeymoon. That got us hooked on cruising, we thought it was a huge ship -- little did we know what was to come lol we are still loyal to royal after 29 years of cruising (with a few other lines thrown in every now and then)

8503057039_0693e8d075_b.jpg

That is an awesome picture. Thank you!

So, do you get these notifications regularly, Paul?

Or were you checking out craigslist? ;) :D

Amazing what you can find on E-Bay, huh? ;) No, I just like to see what happens to old ships, especially the more popular ones from their day.

We sailed the Song of America back in April of 86 for our honeymoon. That got us hooked on cruising, we thought it was a huge ship -- little did we know what was to come lol we are still loyal to royal after 29 years of cruising (with a few other lines thrown in every now and then)

We sailed on her for our honeymoon too, but in '91, my avitar is our boarding picture from that cruise. Enjoyed every minute of it. Remember sailing on the Sovereign in '93 and saw SOA at a port and thought how much smaller she was even then.

By the way, I'll chip in! ;)

Mark.

Edited by malackym

• 1 year later...
That was my very first cruise ship and it was for my honeymoon in April 1991 =)

Don't know if you still come online and check these but I was wondering your your April cruise a 7 night cruise out of Miami ?

I agree -- it's the Norwegian Majesty. Currently the Thomson Majesty on lease from Louis Cruises. Hmmm... the Thomson Majesty is the ship that had the lifeboat drill accident earlier this month that killed five crew members. :(

When she was the Louis Majesty, she was hit by a rogue wave in the Med. and two people died. I sailed her 5 times as the Norwegian Majesty and played trivia right where the wave hit.:eek:

Sailed her 4 times to Bermuda in Oct. (hurricane season :p), she did just fine in some rocky seas and was on her very last cruise to Bermuda.

Edited by iheartbda

I think that ship is the former Norwegian Majesty, not a Celebrity ship.

And she's also formerly the Royal Majesty, of Majesty Cruise Lines. Great ship and a great cruise! Thanks for this thread, Paul, I like keeping track of the grand ol' ladies! :) Loved Celebrity's Horizon and Zenith...

Ugly, yes - but I had one of my best cruises on the Viking Serenade.

I agree, mek. I took my sister on her first cruise on the Viking Serenade, and we had a blast!