What IS turndown?

RoonilWazlib

Excuse my cynicism but I've always felt that on those lines where towel animals are the norm that it was a ploy, supported by management, to generate a larger tip for room stewards at the end of the cruise.

We now Elite and I think we've had one towel animal in all our cruises with Celebrity. And I'm not complaining. The staff has better things to do with their limited time than make towel animals.

George +

Talking about First World Problems: on our last cruise, the trash can was lodged under the desk in an inaccessible and inconvenient place. We put it next to the outside of the desk, tucked into a little corner, so we could reach it. Every single time they emptied it, back under the desk it went! Drove me nuts!!! And why they insist on taking up both towel racks with FOUR handtowels is beyond me--I like to hang up my towels when I'm done with them, some meager attempt at being green, but always fighting with the hand towels. I have asked to have them removed, left a sticky asking not to have them replaced, stashed them in a drawer--nothing helps! Their routine is set and they are not about to vary from it!!!!

Lest you think we are chronic complainers, we never ask for anything other than a few extra hangers on embarkation, and I never make a deal out of those two items (except here and now) but it does seem silly that you can't have the simplest things the way you like them. And this saves them work!! Oh well, obviously the most minute issue but it does bug me on every cruise!!

Usually you can get your towels and wastebasket and other room items the way you want it. Yours was an exception. It may have been that you had new employees, who are constantly being evaluated by their supervisors, and each room had to be "just so" to pass the inspection. It will probably be different the next time you cruise.

I have to admit from the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was:

"turndown is what happens when you don't wear formal wear to formal night in the MDR".

I must be too tuned in to CC because so many threads turn into formal night threads :)

lol !!!

I know they have towel animals on NCL - I put a quick end to that when we returned from dinner, turned on the lights and there was a monkey hanging from the ceiling:eek::eek: I didn't like getting them to begin with because I didn't know what to do with them plus the stewards have better things to do with their time - but that monkey totally creeped me out. I think it's great when they make them for children though.

We had the monkey hanging from the ceiling on HAL, and my reaction was just like yours. We also had swans on a pond made from my night gown. I didn't like that either, and ever since I have put my nightwear away in a drawer.

Don't count on a towel animal, I don't think it is a standard on X. The only cruise line that I have ever had them on was Carnival.

NO TOWEL ANIMALS!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I better not tell my wife until we're on board. She'll want to change lines.

:D

Personally, I would rather they don't do the turndown service. Sometimes we're in a hurry to get ready for dinner and I always feel like I have to put everything away when I could easily do it when we return from dinner...like make-up, curling irons, etc. And I don't like to have my drapes closed....we usually like to sit on the veranda and have a drink before we go to bed. To each their own, I guess. I wonder if I can request no turndown service. Sometimes those cabin attendants can do "too much". :rolleyes:

Usually you can get your towels and wastebasket and other room items the way you want it. Yours was an exception. It may have been that you had new employees, who are constantly being evaluated by their supervisors, and each room had to be "just so" to pass the inspection. It will probably be different the next time you cruise.

I wondered about that--that maybe they HAD to do it that way. I also just remembered that the first night they didn't 'turn down' our room--the first time in many cruises that that had ever happened to me!!;) We were stunned when we came back from dinner--couldn't believe our eyes! Not a big deal, just so surprising!

We're on the Silhouette TA in a few short weeks, I'll see how we do on this one.

I love coming back to the room and having the turn down! Everything is all neat and tidy, my mess is folded and on the sofa, bathroom is clean and fresh, sheets turned down and inviting. I can crawl into bed with my chocolate and plan the next day. I would hate to come back to the same room I left before dinner:eek::D That's what happens at home all the time:)

Personally, I would rather they don't do the turndown service. Sometimes we're in a hurry to get ready for dinner and I always feel like I have to put everything away when I could easily do it when we return from dinner...like make-up, curling irons, etc. And I don't like to have my drapes closed....we usually like to sit on the veranda and have a drink before we go to bed. To each their own, I guess. I wonder if I can request no turndown service. Sometimes those cabin attendants can do "too much". :rolleyes:

Well, if you don't want them tidying up the cabin in the evenings?

You need to talk to your cabin attendant. Do you shower before

dinner? He takes those towels and gives you new ones....you

don't want them? What about your daily's for the next day? You

would need to tell them not to do anything to the cabin while you

are at dinner then....that is when they do the "turndown", while

you are out. I don't think sitting out on the balcony before you

go to bed has anything to do with the evening turndowns...they

are usually done earlier.

Well, if you don't want them tidying up the cabin in the evenings?

You need to talk to your cabin attendant. Do you shower before

dinner? He takes those towels and gives you new ones....you

don't want them? What about your daily's for the next day? You

would need to tell them not to do anything to the cabin while you

are at dinner then....that is when they do the "turndown", while

you are out. I don't think sitting out on the balcony before you

go to bed has anything to do with the evening turndowns...they

are usually done earlier.

We always had two towels each on our last cruise so I was hoping there would be a clean towel for the morning as well....maybe I could just request two sets of towels when they make up our room during the day.

I know they do the turndown while we're out....I don't want my drapes closed at all...we like to sleep with them open on a cruise. If my room is too dark in the morning, I have a hard time getting up...if it's bright, I'm up early. This will be a port intensive cruise, so we will probably be turning in fairly early most nights...early breakfast and then off the ship for the day.

Sea days may be a different story...those days we will probably sleep in a little longer. :D

On our last cruise - Infinity throu the Panama Canal - we had towel animals twice. Both on formal nights! Iwas VERY excited! One.was an elephant and the other was a swan! The elephant had my dh's sunglasses on, too cute:eek::cool:.I took WAY too many pictures of them, hehe!

We will see if we get them on our upcoming Caribbean cruise! Ya know, different ships, different goings on!

Melody:D

We always had two towels each on our last cruise so I was hoping there would be a clean towel for the morning as well....maybe I could just request two sets of towels when they make up our room during the day.

I know they do the turndown while we're out....I don't want my drapes closed at all...we like to sleep with them open on a cruise. If my room is too dark in the morning, I have a hard time getting up...if it's bright, I'm up early. This will be a port intensive cruise, so we will probably be turning in fairly early most nights...early breakfast and then off the ship for the day.

Sea days may be a different story...those days we will probably sleep in a little longer. :D

If you come back to the room and your drapes are closed just open them again! Or better yet, just mention to the steward that you would like him not to bother closing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I keep hearing the word "turndown" around here? I know it has something to do with the cabin steward entering your cabin in the evening. But if they already cleaned it that morning, why are they coming back again later?

If you don't want to have your cabin steward waltzing in, can you just put up a "do not disturb" doorknob sign or something?

get ready for knapp time that is turn down.

Back to the OP question - as you have posted over 100 times then I would assume that have had your cabin turndown before?

No, we are preparing for our first cruise. I am extremely excited about it, and questions keep popping into my head that I'm curious about, so I've been asking lots of random questions on here.

Thank you everyone for the answers!! Settles my curiosity for a bit! Until I think of something else to ask! :-)

No, we are preparing for our first cruise. I am extremely excited about it, and questions keep popping into my head that I'm curious about, so I've been asking lots of random questions on here.

Thank you everyone for the answers!! Settles my curiosity for a bit! Until I think of something else to ask! :-)

Keep asking. We are all happy to encourage first timers.

Archived