Putting together a holiday capsule wardrobe

So, we're heading to Europe for 35 days next summer, part of which is a 12 night Med cruise. We're planning just carry on luggage (I know, I know! :rolleyes:) so I've recently been immersing myself in searching out examples of capsule wardrobes online, mostly Pinterest and Polyvore.

I'd love to create my own, so I know what to find/shop for before we go. I'm just having trouble putting it all together. Every example I've found has something I don't think I will need, or is missing something, etc.

Has anyone put their own together? If so, can you share? I'd love it if you could list exactly what you took and (if you have time) how you combined items for outfits and how it worked for you.

I am thinking my main colours will be black/grey/white with a bright colour (haven't figured out what that will be yet). I'm just worried it will be too dark/depressing for the Med, but lighter colours would get dirtier easily.

This blog has wonderful ideas for capsule wardrobes. I find that I would have to adjust the style of the clothing that she picks, because she seems to gravitate more toward a conservative and sometimes business-like look...IMO...but the basic ideas of skirts, pants, types of shirts, layering, etc. is really fabulous. I can spend hours reading this blog for ideas:

The Vivienne Files

So I realize that her blog is so huge now...here are some good starter posts. She always builds on an idea for a while, so if you search through the blog, you can find posts where she explores variations of a basic theme:

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2012/05/building-wardrobe-by-fours.html

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2012/04/packing-true-blue-honeymoon.html

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2012/03/packing-my-usual-paris-in-grey-and.html

http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/2011/09/not-so-crazy-eights-black-and-bonus.html

I always coordinate everything within a couple of neutrals and one main accent colour, but have never heard that called a "capsule" wardrobe. It's just the way I pack!

Last time we did a long cruise I used navy & grey as my primary neutrals (pants, sweaters & shoes). When I start to think about packing I first look at how many different changes I'll go through (days, evenings, beach days, etc.), then I bring out what I already have and --- lay everything out on my bed or hang in an empty closet --- and I test everything out. Wardrobe is based on pants, skirts, shorts or capris (depending on weather) because I expect to wear those items several times. I have things that handwash & drip dry well, but I also plan to send things out to be cleaned when we're on the ship.

I will shop for what I need, but I'm trying to do less shopping just for cruising, so it has to be an item that makes sense for everyday wear. I won't take things that crease easily, or things that have to look crisp to look good (like white shirts). I don't pack things that will get marked or stained easily (I'm a klutz).

Tops must be wearable with at least 2 of the bottoms, and sweater must go with everything. And things must be able to be layered (so that leaves out shirts with ruffles). I have quit taking cute dresses that are only worn once. I've discovered that skirts are my friend. They work for day & evening, and for warm weather.

Colour comes in through a raincoat, scarves, tank tops and jewellery.

I've got my old packing list at home & will post it later if you're interested.

I'm definitely interested!! Please post any ideas or suggestions that have worked for you in the past.

Thanks for the link to the Vivienne Files. That is exactly the idea I had in mind, building off of a few basics and being able to mix and match everything. I'm just trying to figure out how many of each I would need.

For example, I was thinking 2-3 pairs of cropped pants or capris, neutral colours like black and grey.

2 skirts, also neutral

Tank cami's with a shelf bra, that I can wear alone if the occasion calls for it, and also layer under light shirts or thin sweater. Maybe two neutral (black/white) and then one colour.

4-5 tee shirts or short sleeve shirts, a couple neutral and the others building off of the accent colour. My problem is going to be finding things that will wash and hang to dry quickly and look presentable after they dry.

Black dress that I can wear to dinner on the ship and also dress down during the day while we are touring. Must be lightweight and non-wrinkle material, easy to wash and dry. (pretty much the perfect LBD...where I will find that, who knows!!)

1-2 other dresses. I love wearing dresses when it is warm out. I find that my legs don't get as hot as when I wear pants. I love the look of t-shirt dresses with a sleeve to protect my shoulders from the sun. Maybe I could find some in a pattern that would go well with the sweater/cardigan I will bring, in case we run into some cooler weather.

Thin sweaters, maybe two. One light coloured that can be worn over top of a cami, and one cardigan that would be neutral and go with everything.

Two pairs of shoes. I have one pair of black leather walking sandals from Taos that are really cute, but have a sturdy bottom. I was also eyeing up a pair of Sketchers that look like ballet flats from the top with a peep toe, but are like a runner on the bottom for support. All the shoes will be black.

Of course, then a bathing suit, undies, etc. I will bring along a couple of scarves, which I read somewhere that someone tied around the end of their purse where the zipper is, to use as a sun cover up, while in mosques or churches as a cover for shoulders or legs, and also helps protect groping hands trying to get into my purse. I'm not much of a belt person, but I'll be looking for something to bring along to wear with the capris.

Any other suggestions? this is a lot of work but so much fun to plan!! :D

Sounds like you've gotten idea of what to bring.

Look at quick dry fabrics (hard to find ones that aren't pricey or athletic) and poly/cotton blends for items that will dry quickly and not wrinkle when hung to dry.

Bring one scarf and buy more as souviners.

Instead of the 'perfect LBD' how about the 'perfect' black skirt and 'perfect' black top that can be worn as a LBD?

Look in the career section of your dept store. Many tops can be washed, hnug dry and won't wrinkle.

Sounds like you've gotten idea of what to bring.

Look at quick dry fabrics (hard to find ones that aren't pricey or athletic) and poly/cotton blends for items that will dry quickly and not wrinkle when hung to dry.

Bring one scarf and buy more as souviners.

Instead of the 'perfect LBD' how about the 'perfect' black skirt and 'perfect' black top that can be worn as a LBD?

Look in the career section of your dept store. Many tops can be washed, hnug dry and won't wrinkle.

I'm with SadieN on the black top and skirt, instead of a LBD.

Have a look at Tilleys (a Canadian company) for really durable washable fast-dry shirts/tops. They have a comprehensive website.

I don't have a "capsule wardrobe" per se, BUT when I pack, I make sure everything I take goes with 3 other things -- so each t-shirt goes with 3 bottoms, each bottom goes with 3 tops, etc. (Yeah, okay MOSTLY the rule of 3 :) -- some stuff just HAS to come along because it is so spectacular :D )

I found pretty much the perfect black travel dress last year. I got it at Chicos, and unfortunately I don't think they carry it now (maybe they will in spring?). Here's something similar but in the travelers line.

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=24&pageId=1&productId=570075611&viewAll=true&prd=Travelers+Classic+Tegan+Dress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=22&catId=cat40004&cat=Dresses++Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

(sorry I don't know how to paste images. Must learn!)

The dress I bought is a bit more loose fitting than this but has the cap sleeves and goes to just above the knees. I've worn it to everything from NFL games to work to a funeral, with a belt or without. It's definitely on my list for my next trip because it's easy to wear, comfortable, and packs easily. It drips dry but needs a bit of an iron.

I found pretty much the perfect black travel dress last year. I got it at Chicos, and unfortunately I don't think they carry it now (maybe they will in spring?). Here's something similar but in the travelers line.

http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=24&pageId=1&productId=570075611&viewAll=true&prd=Travelers+Classic+Tegan+Dress&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=&inSeam=&posId=22&catId=cat40004&cat=Dresses++Skirts&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

(sorry I don't know how to paste images. Must learn!)

The dress I bought is a bit more loose fitting than this but has the cap sleeves and goes to just above the knees. I've worn it to everything from NFL games to work to a funeral, with a belt or without. It's definitely on my list for my next trip because it's easy to wear, comfortable, and packs easily. It drips dry but needs a bit of an iron.

I just love that dress! It is so versatile. Plus it is Chico's Travelers' fabric. Those garments never wrinkle.

Great suggestions. I do like the idea of a LBD, but wouldn't be adverse to a skirt and top combo. I'm assuming they would have to be bought together though, because not all blacks are the same shade/sheen and it would look silly unless they went perfectly. I like the look of that black dress from chicos.

Finding fabrics that don't wrinkle easily but aren't necessarily sporty is harder than I thought...

I'm going to San Diego in two weeks... Any suggestions for US stores to shop in? Will just be my mom and I this trip so I will be able to shop without feeling guilty!

I was just at REI (like MEC) and thinking of this thread. Many of the 'travel' shirts are made of a modal blend or a poly/cotton blend. So any shirt will do.

What's your budget?

Cheaper prices can be found at Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx and outlet malls. Also look at Kohl's.

The Horton Plaza has a Nordstorm and a Macy's. Fashion Valley has more.

Will you have a car? There are outlet malls.

Found a listing for the Malls in the area.

http://www.sandiego.org/articles/shopping/list-of-outlet-malls-and-shopping-centers-in-san-diego.aspx

No, we won't have a car, we'll be traveling by trolley. We plan to go out to fashion valley. My budget.... Well, not super expensive, but I don't want to buy cheap either. Maybe some of the dept. stores will have sale racks? I want to shop for a dress, skirt, and maybe a top or sweater. Oh, and I will hit up sketchers to see if I can find the shoes I saw online.

Thanks for the link!

Oh, what does REI stand for again?

REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc) is the same type of store as MEC(Mountain Equipment Co-op) in Canada

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

http://www.rei.com

All stores have clearance racks :)

Kohl's will be cheaper than the Mall stores but I have had great success at the clearance racks at Nordstrom.

Another store to look for is Nordstrom Rack.

For shopping, I'd go to Chicos (shop the sale rack or sign up for their Passport card). They have the Travellers line. Also try Talbots (prices are much better than in Canada), and JJill. It's not my style but they have comfie clothes! You can get Sketchers at Kohls. I buy my weekend clothes at Kohls. Some of the lines (Chaps in particular) have lesser quality fabric that creases easily. There is always JCrew for preppy clothes, as well as Ann Taylor & Loft - although they may not have the basics.

My favourite for cruise clothes is Dressbarn. If you go to an outlet mall check it out, especially for tops. Lots of colour. You may also like Dillard's - they have unbelievable sales. Same brands as The Bay.

I do love Chico's, but have found the Travelers clothing to be very heavy in a suitcase. They also don't breathe well, so if you're going somewhere that's hot, you'd be miserable. JJill has very nice things, but lately I've found a lot of nice, durable clothing at Lands End. It's a division of Sears, but much more like LLBean or Eddie Bauer quality. Twill really holds up nicely to travel and can be washed without coming out a wrinkly mess.

This is from Vivienne Files: I love the use of navy, white and Khaki.

page+1.jpg

Well, we'll be in the Med in July, so sounds like the Chico's line won't work for me!

I'll definitely search out some of the other store suggestions before we go to San Diego. Thanks! :D

One thing I am looking for is a good quality pair of yoga pants for the plane ride and for lounging when in our room or apartment in Paris. Of course, Lululemon is the preferred choice but they are so dang expensive, $100 for a pair of yoga pants is hard to swallow. Anyone else have a brand they like? A good pair won't lose colour, won't stretch out at the butt or knee, and won't sag. A great pair will make your @ss look like a million dollars! ;)

Well, we'll be in the Med in July, so sounds like the Chico's line won't work for me!

I'll definitely search out some of the other store suggestions before we go to San Diego. Thanks! :D

One thing I am looking for is a good quality pair of yoga pants for the plane ride and for lounging when in our room or apartment in Paris. Of course, Lululemon is the preferred choice but they are so dang expensive, $100 for a pair of yoga pants is hard to swallow. Anyone else have a brand they like? A good pair won't lose colour, won't stretch out at the butt or knee, and won't sag. A great pair will make your @ss look like a million dollars! ;)

I see you're in Canada - is there a 'northern reflections' store near you? Found a great pair of 'travel' yoga pants there last fall before my TA cruise - wore them on the plane (very comfy) and even while touring - and I loved that they had that 'secret' pocket - perfect for a credit card - esp in spots where pickpockets are prevalent.

I also got the petite size which was perfect for me (hard to find petites that are well proportioned) - and no hemming required... :)

I like the knits that Superstore carries with the "Joe Fresh" label. In my experience they wear really well and can take a lot of abuse. Not sure my butt looks like a million $s though :D

oooh. Lululemon. Love'em. They are expensive, but they last forever.

Take a look at the yoga pant offerings from Athleta and Lucy. Athleta particularly has a plethora of different styles and types of material for their pants. Just like Lululemon, they last. I have one particular pair from 6 years ago that still look as good as any new pair I have.

For that LBD: There is a really nice LBD offering by Eileen Fisher in the Garnet Hill catalog/website. I bought it last year as a more conservative alternative to my LBTD (Little Black Tshirt Dress) I bought through Sahalie 7 years ago. Organic cotton, ballet neck, short sleeves. $98, so it's a really nice deal. And, remember - Eileen Fisher stuff is timeless and lasts forever!

I'd pay $100 if it would make my @ss look like even a thousand dollars. :o Sadly, that ship has sailed! :rolleyes: :)

Yes! There is a Northern Reflections near me. I'll have to take a look. I do have lots of Joe clothes, love that brand. I found a great sporty gray dress yesterday that is part of their athletic line, that is wrinkle resistant and really cool. I'll definitely keep looking there as well.

I'd pay $100 if it would make my @ss look like even a thousand dollars. :o Sadly, that ship has sailed! :rolleyes: :)[/QUOte]

LOL... I hear you on that!

Archived