Putting together a holiday capsule wardrobe

oooh. Lululemon. Love'em. They are expensive, but they last forever.

Totally agree, and they will hem them free.

For that LBD: There is a really nice LBD offering by Eileen Fisher in the Garnet Hill catalog/website. Organic cotton, ballet neck, short sleeves. $98, so it's a really nice deal. And, remember - Eileen Fisher stuff is timeless and lasts forever!

Great dress, I have one I've been wearing forever. Wash in cold water with Woolite for dark fabrics, hang dry and it will keep its color. It sometimes goes on sale on EF's webpage or on Garnet Hill.

I will. is Lucy a US label? Thanks for the suggestions for a LBD, too!

Sadly, they are US only for now. I forgot you were in the Great White North. They don't ship to Canada.

Athleta just started international shipping, so you might be in luck there. They have a fantastic array of travel clothing. Sundress city!!! Tons of offerings of dresses. I just hit up the new shop where I live and picked up a pair of the new linen wide leg pants (the Lagoon Linen 2) in Asphalt (a blueish dark grey) and the Batwing and Robin hoodie sweater. Perfect for my upcoming trip!

Great dress, I have one I've been wearing forever. Wash in cold water with Woolite for dark fabrics, hang dry and it will keep its color. It sometimes goes on sale on EF's webpage or on Garnet Hill.

I just looked at this EF dress on the Garnet Hill website and it doesn't look very flattering. It looks very comfortable, but totally shapeless. Is it different on a body? (I have a large chest, so anything that doesn't have a waist just goes out at the bust and never comes back:rolleyes:)

I've lost a ton of weight since August and am 8lbs from my goal weight, so I'm looking at rebuilding my wardrobe - and I will be doing it based on high quality basics at first. So a flattering knit dress is definitely on my list - I just can't judge if this is the dress......(none of the stores I've checked nearby have this EF dress, or any other short dress that appeals to me...)

I just looked at this EF dress on the Garnet Hill website and it doesn't look very flattering. It looks very comfortable, but totally shapeless. Is it different on a body? (I have a large chest, so anything that doesn't have a waist just goes out at the bust and never comes back:rolleyes:)

I've lost a ton of weight since August and am 8lbs from my goal weight, so I'm looking at rebuilding my wardrobe - and I will be doing it based on high quality basics at first. So a flattering knit dress is definitely on my list - I just can't judge if this is the dress......(none of the stores I've checked nearby have this EF dress, or any other short dress that appeals to me...)

I know what you mean about large chest. I have the same issue. I always have to belt to bring things back to the waist/hips.

You might want to browse around for wrap or faux-wrap dress. Check out the LBD and the wrap dress from Sahalie. Might be more up your alley.

I am not a fan of the Chico's travelers material. it is hot, heavy and just dont like to touch it.

but really like the zenergy pants from Chico's for traveling. they are quick drying for washing in the sink, roll in towel step on to get water out , shake hard a couple times hang up to dry. very comfortable

I have the black and off white .

You might want to browse around for wrap or faux-wrap dress.

Some work, some don't - I have had some for work - but I have a hard time seeing them as casual. My preferred style is a tank dress (the worst part of losing weight is my two Misook tanks for work/travel are too big now:rolleyes:) I'm also a little preppier than you are - Sahalie & Athleta are a little too sporty for me. I don't see any wrap styles on the site. This is cute, but not as flexible (would be harder to dress up) as I would like:

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=23226&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C2191&iProductID=23226

I'll keep looking:D

Was browsing thru Steinmart and Target today. Found many tops and LBDs that would travel well. Several tops at Target were a Modal blend, just like the fancier traveling tops.

Some work, some don't - I have had some for work - but I have a hard time seeing them as casual. My preferred style is a tank dress (the worst part of losing weight is my two Misook tanks for work/travel are too big now:rolleyes:) I'm also a little preppier than you are - Sahalie & Athleta are a little too sporty for me. I don't see any wrap styles on the site. This is cute, but not as flexible (would be harder to dress up) as I would like:

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=23226&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C2191&iProductID=23226

bolding mine

The Misook knits are similar to St John knits, aren't they? With St John, an experienced high-quality dry cleaner can block them down a size or more. Would it be worth seeing if that can be done with your Misooks?

bolding mine

The Misook knits are similar to St John knits, aren't they? With St John, an experienced high-quality dry cleaner can block them down a size or more. Would it be worth seeing if that can be done with your Misooks?

The knit itself is a little different but I suppose I can do some googling and see:D (on the other side of the equation, I do now fit back into a St John skirt:p)

When I lived in Los Angeles, I was definitely preppier than I am now. Where I live now, semi-formal is a clean pair of jeans and polished cowboy boots (per our Mayor in some TV ads) :D

The wrap dress on Sahalie is at:

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=15354&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C1972&iProductID=15354

I like both the dresses linked above, the wrap style and the tank dress. My worry is the sun, and exposing too much skin. A close family member is struggling right now with having a mole removed that was malignant melanoma, so I am thinking that I'd prefer to wear something that covers my upper back/shoulders. The problem will be finding something with adequate coverage that is light enough to be cool, as the heat will definitely be a factor.

I know there are some travel companies that carry SPF clothing, but it's pretty expensive.

Thanks for the continued suggestions!

so I am thinking that I'd prefer to wear something that covers my upper back/shoulders. The problem will be finding something with adequate coverage that is light enough to be cool, as the heat will definitely be a factor.I know there are some travel companies that carry SPF clothing, but it's pretty expensive.

Why not get a UPF shirt, sweater or light jacket (Sierra Trading Post has tons for women, various brands, like this:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/royal-robbins-expedition-shirt-upf-50-plus--long-sleeve-for-women~p~4189w/?filterString=s~upf%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fwomens-clothing~d~6%2Fwomens-shirts~d~265%2F&colorFamily=05 ) and wear it over whatever dress or t-shirt & shorts you feel like?

Why not get a UPF shirt, sweater or light jacket (Sierra Trading Post has tons for women, various brands, like this:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/royal-robbins-expedition-shirt-upf-50-plus--long-sleeve-for-women~p~4189w/?filterString=s~upf%2Fclothing~d~5%2Fwomens-clothing~d~6%2Fwomens-shirts~d~265%2F&colorFamily=05 ) and wear it over whatever dress or t-shirt & shorts you feel like?

Not a bad price, either. Thanks!

I buy from STP all the time - great customer service. I'm signed up for their emails and they regularly send out extra % off coupons. You do have to pay for returns so if possible - read the reviews carefully for information about sizing/fit and any other issues, and/or stick to brands you know the fit on your body.

The 1981 book Working Wardrobe introduced the capsule concept. I have an ancient copy of the book -- it's great! Highly recommend it. I'm sure you can make your clothing selections current in cut & color, while using the basic concepts in the book. :)

Well, we'll be in the Med in July, so sounds like the Chico's line won't work for me!

I'll definitely search out some of the other store suggestions before we go to San Diego. Thanks! :D

One thing I am looking for is a good quality pair of yoga pants for the plane ride and for lounging when in our room or apartment in Paris. Of course, Lululemon is the preferred choice but they are so dang expensive, $100 for a pair of yoga pants is hard to swallow. Anyone else have a brand they like? A good pair won't lose colour, won't stretch out at the butt or knee, and won't sag. A great pair will make your @ss look like a million dollars! ;)

Check out Athleta.com. They have many styles of yoga pants, and lots of them come in either petite, regular or tall sizes. Their things are a bit spendy but almost always excellent quality that will last forever.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out Athleta.com. They have many styles of yoga pants, and lots of them come in either petite, regular or tall sizes. Their things are a bit spendy but almost always excellent quality that will last forever.

Just wanted to bump this up a tad.

I just bought a pair of Athleta Bettona Boyfriend pant. Wow! I love 'em. Mid rise, slightly loose fit, straight leg, 2 back pockets, 1 cargo pocket on side, 1 little zipper pocket up top Drawstring fit and drawstrings on bottoms if you want to customize. It has a faux fly, so they look more like regular pants. Definitely do not look like yoga pants. They come in regular, petite, tall and plus sizes in several different colors. I bought good old basic Black Cost is $89US, but they ship to Canada. They may replace my Prana camo pants for my upcoming flights. I'm wear them right now. Comfy, comfy, comfy. Wore them walking the dog, vacuuming, and now couch surfing.

Archived