Is internet available on transpacific crossing?

Hoiiip

Halfway across the Pacific ocean if you're bored to tears, is internet access available?
Yes, for a price. It could be spotty and unreliable as you sail from one satellite's coverage area to another. It also depends on how many other people are using the Internet at the same time and what they are doing. If someone is Skyping or uploading photos, they are bandwidth hogs and the Internet will be worse or non-existent for everyone else. It's a pretty expensive way to amuse yourself.

Halfway across the Pacific ocean if you're bored to tears, is internet access available?
It depends upon what part of the Pacific you are in. If you are doing a TP from LA to Aus/NZ you might have some issues past Hawaii and if you are in the South Pacific you can have major issues. This is a quote from Toto2Kansas on her live thread from November of 2011 on the first 28 day cruise RT from LA to Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti:

"But there is good news. As I was going to sleep last night, I noticed that a live football game was flashing in and out on the TV. Woke up this morning to CNN, and ESPN coming in great. So, hubby is glued to the news right now, trying to catch up on 18 days of what's happened in the world. Keep in mind, we lost all satellite for TV and internet was almost non-existant from the time we left Hawaii. So, if my friend is correct, this is the first time in 18 days we have had any outside contact."

Most communication satellites are in geosynchronous orbits and if there aren't people in the area, there aren't satellites.

On our Hawaii cruise in December (the first time we've ever bought an Internet package)' date=' it was sometimes very slow. Didn't seem to be completely related to how close or far away we were from the West Coast.[/quote']It has more to do with how many people are using it and what they're doing. If anyone is Skyping, that means it'll be awful for just about everyone else as Skype is a huge bandwidth hog.

Since Toto sailed, the Princess Internet service, hardware and software, has been upgraded.

Edited by Pam in CA

I also heard that Norway cruises above the Arctic circle have little or no Internet. I normally like to prepay for a package of minutes. But if you don't know how many days you'll be without reception, it makes it difficult. Those minutes are too expensive to throw away, but neither do I want to spend my last evening aboard on the computer trying to use them up.

On a 28 day LA-HI-Samoa-Tahiti-LA cruise, we had issues with TV reception .... we spent about a week apparently out of range for the TV satellites.

But we had internet access the whole trip ... at least, every time I went online I was able to access it, and that was every day of the cruise. Slow, of course, but available.

• 10 months later...
On a 28 day LA-HI-Samoa-Tahiti-LA cruise, we had issues with TV reception .... we spent about a week apparently out of range for the TV satellites.

But we had internet access the whole trip ... at least, every time I went online I was able to access it, and that was every day of the cruise. Slow, of course, but available.

We're heading from Tahiti to Honolulu in April ... people have confirmed slow speed with on board connectivity in general, that generally where there are no people there are no satellites, and even that beyond Hawaii is troublesome.... but no one has come right out to confirm that there are satellites for Internet on that trip before this reply. If Flamomo got on line every day, that would imply Internet capability between Tahiti and Hawaii, right? Thanks!

Lis