10:30am flight out of SJU if we self-disembark?

This is the only flight available that works for us. We always self-disembark, and are usually off the ship by 7 or 730 am. Haven't done it at San Juan yet, though. I know there can be unexpected delays, but I am willing to take a reasonable risk. What are other people's experience with self-disembarking at San Juan?

This is the only flight available that works for us. We always self-disembark, and are usually off the ship by 7 or 730 am. Haven't done it at San Juan yet, though. I know there can be unexpected delays, but I am willing to take a reasonable risk. What are other people's experience with self-disembarking at San Juan?

I wouldn't do it either. Once at the airport all your bags (including carryons) must go through USDA screening. Once this is done you can proceed to check them in with your airlines and then on through TSA screening.

We just did it and had no problems. The taxi to the airport is only 20 minuets. Just be sure your the first off the ship. Some times customs have a hair across their &%# in San Juan. When you get to the airport you MUST check your bags through Agriculture Inspection before you check in.

Maybe we were just lucky, but we walked off into a taxi, there was nobody at the USDA conveyor - I mean, no line, but the inspectors were there. It was a mayhem to check in, though, maybe on Saturdays it's always like this? It's risky... what is your back-up plan, do you have good insurance?

Last year took us forever to get through security at SJU. We got to the airport by 2:30 from the rainforest excursion and our flight wasn't until 6:40 p.m. From what I remember, we only about 45 minutes till boarding once we finally got through security. That was the only downfall to our whole cruise.

We always stay at least one extra night in San Juan following a cruise. The airport and traffic are much less hectic on a Monday or Tuesday morning. And it's nice to have an extra day for wandering Old San Juan and just sitting at the beach. I recommend Courtyard Isla Verde, which is only a 5 minute taxi ride to the airport, and is right on the beach.

Good move-that airport is miserable!

:eek:

We've flown in and out of San Juan 6-7 times and find their airport just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have found much worse in the continental US.

If one little thing goes wrong you are sunk.

We have cruised three times from SJ and twice had no problems. The third time, the port was closed for a few hours and we were late getting docked.

We usually stay the night at a hotel and leave early the next morning and the airport is usually fine.

Everyone is different but I would try.

You guys convinced me that the risk is too great at SJU.

Thanks.

It is a risk, but I would have taken the flight. I have flown in and out of San Juan 4x's and have never had a problem getting in and out of the airport in a reasonable time. Last spring, we did the self-debark- left our cabin at 7 am, quickly breezed thru customs and were in a taxi in a matter of minutes. I've never once had a traffic delay getting to or from the airport (I keep hearing about them, but we seem to miss them every time). Once we got to the airport, we quickly breezed thru the ag inspection and the security line. I have seen some long lines here, but the earlier you arrive, the shorter it is.

We were sitting at our airport gate at 9 am for a 1 pm flight. I would have much preferred a 10:30 flight. While we were waiting for our plane, I did watch the security line get longer as the morning went by. As long as ou get to the airport first thing in the morning, I think you would move quite quickly.

We have a 11am flight booked for our April cruise , I am not too concernced , dont know what the people are talking about on the traffic , this is our 5th time out out SJ , last cruise we made a noon flight could have have made a 9 am flight we got there so early.

Yes what if what if , but when your only other options are way late at night or stay and that my wife needs to be at work on Monday. guess you do what you have to do.

Our choice on Jet Blue was 10:30am or 5:22 PM (well it WAS 4:40pm, but got pushed since). We opted for the later flight. Last Feb we took an 11:55am flight. It was a bit stressful getting off the ship. Now we just have to figure out what to do to kill some time. I wish they would let us check the bags from the ship in San Juan.

Something else to consider, is the cruise itinerary. I don't know if it is still done, but when I last cruised out of SJU, our ship stopped in St. Thomas on the last day, and we when through customs there. When arriving back in San Juan, there was no customs at the port, so we were able to get off and right to the airport.

As for lines at the airport, I wouldn't be able to give a useful opinion, as we traveled business class for this trip, and zipped right through TSA screening.

Archived