All Things Adventure of the Seas

We sure will and also the adventure of the seas.....which would really be great to be on right now with this wind a howling and the cold temps

It is miserably cold here today with a ridiculous wind blowing. Weather site says 86 degrees and sunny in San Juan today.

Hi, all!

I've enjoyed reading the thread on Adventure of the Seas! I haven't gotten through all of the old thread, but I've read the "new" thread and there is a treasure trove of information, so, thank you all! I'm glad to hear it's a favorite for some.

I've just paid in full for our group of 20 (yes, 20), sailing on the February 9th cruise. My husband and I were on Mariner in July 2010, so we feel pretty comfortable with the lay-out of Adventure. We've only cruised as a couple, so we have no idea how embarkation is with a big group! I know on-line check-in helps with embarkation waits, but does anyone have any tips on making this as painless as possible? My sister is traveling with us with very small children, for example, and is worried about melt-downs. My hubby and I could ditch the whole group (we're in a Grand Suite and Gold level), but that would be a bit cowardly, especially as our kids are among them! :)

Thank you in advance,

Amy

Hi, all!

I've enjoyed reading the thread on Adventure of the Seas! I haven't gotten through all of the old thread, but I've read the "new" thread and there is a treasure trove of information, so, thank you all! I'm glad to hear it's a favorite for some.

I've just paid in full for our group of 20 (yes, 20), sailing on the February 9th cruise. My husband and I were on Mariner in July 2010, so we feel pretty comfortable with the lay-out of Adventure. We've only cruised as a couple, so we have no idea how embarkation is with a big group! I know on-line check-in helps with embarkation waits, but does anyone have any tips on making this as painless as possible? My sister is traveling with us with very small children, for example, and is worried about melt-downs. My hubby and I could ditch the whole group (we're in a Grand Suite and Gold level), but that would be a bit cowardly, especially as our kids are among them! :)

Thank you in advance,

Amy

Amy ... In March we arrived at the pier a little after 10:30am for the Summit .... we were 2nd in line our group friends (20 in total) arrived shortly after us ... were just a few people back in the line. We all just did "standard" check-in with our preprinted SeaPass information. Took only minutes & we were seated together waiting to board the ship ... wait time was about 30 minutes ... We were eating lunch before noon onboard!! Hope that helps.

Amy ... In March we arrived at the pier a little after 10:30am for the Summit .... we were 2nd in line our group friends (20 in total) arrived shortly after us ... were just a few people back in the line. We all just did "standard" check-in with our preprinted SeaPass information. Took only minutes & we were seated together waiting to board the ship ... wait time was about 30 minutes ... We were eating lunch before noon onboard!! Hope that helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you very much! It sounds like arriving early is another key to success! :)

Still recovering from jetlag from the AoS TA. Updating the blog daily as net access on board was atrocious this time. First time ever had little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and shower gel in the bathroom.

Please say hi to Julio (Loyalty Ambassador) from Linda to whoever sails on her soon. If his face goes blank just say the lady from the Cruise Critic lunch on the TA :D

We board adventure of the seas on dec.1 we get there at 5 in the morning any suggestions what we could do till it's time to go the port . I know it's real early any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check to see if there are any "precruise" activities ... San Juan is a beautiful place & lots to see. Love just walking around the area, old buildings & churches to see ... much won't be open at 5am. Rainforest is beautiful too ...

Hey, Robyn and all:

I can't wait for our January 2014 "B" cruise on AOS. We just loved the ship, people and itinerary. It is awesome to leave from San Juan in the wintertime.

Regarding the gym (Jules12Wed), I would encourage you to ask. I've heard on other boards that it depends on the gym/ship. Perhaps they will let you sign a waiver, especially if you will be working out at the same time. By the way, the running track is pretty nice. As long as you run/walk in the a.m. it is not too crowded or hot. Usually just people quickly checking out the new ports. Of course, you may have to politely say, "excuse me" or "on your left" but I found it quite usable on port days.

I, too, am worried that we may be overdoing it on excursions, even though ours don't look as active as Sjpsoccer's. Here are my ideas:

- Barbados: Calabaza Catamaran (already reserved)

- St Lucia: Cosol's Island tour

- Antigua: Day Pass as Jolly Beach

- St Maartin: Dolphin swim on Anguilla

- St Croix: ?? Maybe stay on boat and just get off to shop/look around

I am considering cancelling Jolly Beach for saving money and giving us another ship day (just get off to look around and shop.) I think our excursions are becoming very costly. The dolphin swim is for dd and the catamaran is for us adults!

I would love advice on what to do on St. Croix

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Hi there,

We stopped at St Croix several years ago on the Disney Magic, and chose to simply stay right where we docked. I don't know if there is more than one place to dock, but if you end up at the same place we stopped, you can definitely have fun right there. There are some historic battlements that create some interesting photo ops, and you can walk along the rocks at the shoreline looking for sea creatures. The beach just to the left of the docks (past the rocks) is surprisingly worth your time. The bottom is sandy, the water is clean and warm - we had a lovely swim right there. We then continued our journey over to a small beachside bar/cafe sitting not too far back from the shoreline with a patio out back. DH and I had a beer, and our kids were having a soda. Along came a Cruzan steel drum band who set up on the patio and started to play.

The whole experience was unplanned and fun.

Hope you experience something much like it!

We are on the Christmas Holiday cruise in a few weeks on AOS. One of our family traditions for Christmas morning is to have waffles and maple syrup (yep, we're Canadian) for breakfast.

Does AOS have waffles either in Windjammer or somewhere as a station? If they do, I am packing maple syrup!

Thanks in advance!

We are on the Christmas Holiday cruise in a few weeks on AOS. One of our family traditions for Christmas morning is to have waffles and maple syrup (yep, we're Canadian) for breakfast.

Does AOS have waffles either in Windjammer or somewhere as a station? If they do, I am packing maple syrup!

Thanks in advance!

You will get both in the windjammer, although they might not be as good as you would get at home

Scott

Thanks in advance!

There is no problem getting waffles. You don't even have to pack your own maple syrup.;) In the Windjammer they have someg ood topping to put on them. Usually there will be blueberries, strawberries, whipped cream.

Originally Posted by Koohiichan viewpost.gif

Hey, Robyn and all:

I can't wait for our January 2014 "B" cruise on AOS. We just loved the ship, people and itinerary. It is awesome to leave from San Juan in the wintertime.

I, too, am worried that we may be overdoing it on excursions, even though ours don't look as active as Sjpsoccer's. Here are my ideas:

- Barbados: Calabaza Catamaran (already reserved)

- St Lucia: Cosol's Island tour

- Antigua: Day Pass as Jolly Beach

- St Maartin: Dolphin swim on Anguilla

- St Croix: ?? Maybe stay on boat and just get off to shop/look around

I am considering cancelling Jolly Beach for saving money and giving us another ship day (just get off to look around and shop.) I think our excursions are becoming very costly. The dolphin swim is for dd and the catamaran is for us adults!

I would love advice on what to do on St. Croix

Cheers,

Koohiichan

I just saw this post ....

Calabaza is AWESOME!! Gina & her staff treat you royally ... she gave a top notch day and so refined! The food is all homemade & delish ... We would do another tour with Gina on Calabaza in a minute!!

Cozol tours - we did our first with him this past March. Since many of us had been to the island before we asked to change up the tour a bit which Cosol was more than willing to do for us. He met us at different points during our tour to check in with us (as we were a smaller private group with our own plan through him) ... VERY impressed from the moment we met him personally at the pier gathering area.

Antigua's claim to fame is 365 beaches ... and we've visited a few, so far not a bad one was found.

St Croix - I was personally a bit disappointed but knew it didn't want to be like St Thomas so it is MUCH less developed. We took a "ride" to the other side of the island and browsed the shops, ate & found a little brewpub by the water ... then returned to the pier area shops. I did like being off the ship & it was a "lowkey" type day on an island which in the long run was nice after many busy stops.

I agree this is a GREAT itinerary ... we've done it several times!!! Enjoy!!! Say hello to Gina for me!

Hi there,

We stopped at St Croix several years ago on the Disney Magic, and chose to simply stay right where we docked. I don't know if there is more than one place to dock, but if you end up at the same place we stopped, you can definitely have fun right there. There are some historic battlements that create some interesting photo ops, and you can walk along the rocks at the shoreline looking for sea creatures. The beach just to the left of the docks (past the rocks) is surprisingly worth your time. The bottom is sandy, the water is clean and warm - we had a lovely swim right there. We then continued our journey over to a small beachside bar/cafe sitting not too far back from the shoreline with a patio out back. DH and I had a beer, and our kids were having a soda. Along came a Cruzan steel drum band who set up on the patio and started to play.

The whole experience was unplanned and fun.

Hope you experience something much like it!

We were on Adventure this time last year, we visited Sandcastle on the beach when in St Croix, a short taxi ride, on our return to the port we looked around a few stalls. We were approached by a couple the man dressed in a suit shook our hands and thanked us for citing the Island. A nice touch I thought. I believe he said he was from the Tourist Board.

Hi all! Leaving on 01/19/14! Can't wait. Going with three teens - 13, 16 and 19. Best excursions????...doing the Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao tour. Thanks in advance!

We did the Jeep 4x4 on Aruba in the morning & then took the bus (opp. pier) ask for a "transfer" (gets you the return trip without additional fare) .. up to the Westin walked through & onto the beach. Had lunch at Bugaloos & walked the beach area ... lots of options to stop & great beaches.

Had a tour with Thetford Grey in St Kitts .. his brother was our driver & he went "gingerly" (his favorite word ... they'd recognize that in a referral). He took us all over - AWESOME tour & we had time at the Shipwreck Beach Bar to see green monkeys, mongoose, time in the water & lunch - VERY good food & reasonably priced .. relaxed atmosphere, lots of families there.

ENJOY!!

We will be on AOS for the Christmas cruise. My info says boarding begins at 1:30pm. We need to check out of our hotel room by 11am. Can we go directly to the Pan American dock that early? If that is too early, is there somewhere near there (walking distance with suitcases) to grab a bite to eat?

We will be on AOS for the Christmas cruise. My info says boarding begins at 1:30pm. We need to check out of our hotel room by 11am. Can we go directly to the Pan American dock that early? If that is too early, is there somewhere near there (walking distance with suitcases) to grab a bite to eat?

Go to the pier .... I've always been onboard before 1:30pm .. we always have lunch on the ship!

There is no restaurant near the pier. You will usually be boarding before noon and you can eat lunch on board You can show up at 11am and will usually have to stand (no chairs) in line until they start boarding.

We have been onboard by 11:30, eat on the ship. There is no place to have lunch within walking distance with luggage of pier.