Red Ginger

Glenndale

Whenever I read a restaurant review and the author questions anything about the authenticity of a dish, I just want to shake them and ask something like: "But whether it was an "authentic" Beef Wellington or not, did you enjoy it?...did you clean your plate?...did you ask for more?"

"Was it good? Does it really matter if they used a different pate when you had it at Simpson's-In-The-Strand?"

"... If you don't like the food because of the way it tastes, that's a legitimate opinion (and I agree that they should offer some spicier preparations)."

I've already indicated that's the case.

"On the other hand, you don't like the food because it's exactly what they say it is and not what you want it to be, that's a totally different issue."

Ah, but the food isn't what they say it is. For example, several dishes on the menu use the chile pepper emblem to signal spiciness. In reality, those dishes aren't spicy. In fact, they aren't even as spicy as dishes at authentic restaurants without a chile warning symbol. I have no way to fix the blandness. For example, I believe the condiment tray included Sriracha sauce. The waiter set down the tray proudly announcing that the the Sriracha sauce was house made. It tasted little different than ketchup. Why not use good old bottled Huy Fong brand, a great Sriracha version? Why go to the effort of making your own product when it doesn't equal the commercially available version? The main dining room uses commercial brands of jams/jellies or ketchup. Why does this not apply in Red Ginger?

Ah, but the food isn't what they say it is. For example, several dishes on the menu use the chile pepper emblem to signal spiciness. In reality, those dishes aren't spicy. In fact, they aren't even as spicy as dishes at authentic restaurants without a chile warning symbol. I have no way to fix the blandness. For example, I believe the condiment tray included Sriracha sauce. The waiter set down the tray proudly announcing that the the Sriracha sauce was house made. It tasted little different than ketchup. Why not use good old bottled Huy Fong brand, a great Sriracha version? Why go to the effort of making your own product when it doesn't equal the commercially available version? The main dining room uses commercial brands of jams/jellies or ketchup. Why does this not apply in Red Ginger?

I totally agree with you about the Sriracha sauce, but do remember that spice is habituating--what you find bland someone else might find spicey. That being said, provide a decent hot sauce!!

I too live, in the summer, in a place with many Asian restaurants of all persuasions close by, so I was never excited by, or impressed with, Latitudes on Regent. I'm looking forward to Red Ginger with some hope at least.

I have worked and travelled all over Asia... From the Indian sub-continent to Japan. My father lived in Indonesia for well over 30 years and was married for most of them to a Javanese.. And I have, for about 50 years, loved and cooked Indian food... From that background here is my assessment of Red Ginger.

It is, visually, the most beautiful restaurant I have ever seen. The food is "Asian fusion" but mainly south east Asian, Chinese, Japanese. It is, to me, hugely successful in the way it blends tastes, methods of cooking and especially presentation. One evening I had the Malaysian curry. It was excellent, but not specifically spicey. Dishes do not need "fire" to be good.. In fact my Javanese step mother hates spicey food...

The best and most wonderful dishes I had there were the lobster and avocado salad... T die for! And the miso glazed sea bass. Sensational. Delicate, subtle flavourings. Just what most really great Asian food is about.

WOW! What a restaurant. How on earth did they get this on a ship.

Now for Toscana. I live about 40 mins from the Italian border. We go for lunch in Italy relatively often and can be "in darkest Tuscany" in about 5 hours drive... I really don't think Toscana "gets it". The food is heavier than we eat in Tuscany, and the portions are far too large... But this is my personal opinion. I suppose if you are used to Italian food in the US then Toscana is OK. for me, it is Red Ginger any day...

binkysmom - Funny you should say that. Of the six of us who cruised together on our recent voyage, the one who enjoyed Red Ginger the most was the ethnic Chinese member of the group who grew up on (and still cooks) "authentic" Chinese cuisine.

It sounds like I'm going to have a difficult choice between the Sea Bass, the Lamb and the Lobster Pad Thai :D

My husband often solves this problem by ordering an appetizer sized portion of dishes when he can't choose. The pad thai works well this way. :)

I had the watermelon/duck salad the first time we dined in RG. It was fine, but for me it was not the dish others rave about. Tastes differ. So subsequently I ordered something else. ;)

In 4 days we will board Nautica, and will miss RG and the coffee bar in particular. However, I'm sure there will be lots of yummy food for us to choose from! :p

Mo

The first time I went, I had the chicken satay, followed by the rack of lamb. The second time was an appetizer portion of lobster pad thai, followed by the sea bass. I did not get a third time, so I was able to waddle off the ship and not be transported in a wheelbarrow.

It certainly is true that you are not limited to the number of courses you order!

And as someone else said earlier, you can save a few calories by ordering appetizer portions. That is my skinny sister's solution ...

Mura

Seriously; could there be any better recommend than this very hands-on owner who says "try them all and enjoy whichever dishes you like?" I think that speaks volumes in well-placed confidence. We will be embarking on our 7th Oceania cruise soon. This experience is delightful in so many ways; there are a myriad of choices on the 7 seas (and beyond.) Red Ginger is great - and wait 'til you try the other restaurants and enjoy the overall ambiance. You might just be "hooked" - like we are. Smooth sailing to all.

My husband and I ate at Red Ginger twice on the Marina last spring and we really enjoyed it! I really liked the Watermelon Duck Salad and thought the Sea Bass was one of the best I've ever eaten and I eat it as often as we can afford it. After reading everyone's posts about the lamb I'm dying to try it on my Italian Escapades Cruise in July on the Riviera. I don't like spicy food at all, even table black pepper, so lack of spice was not a problem for me. I thought all the food was seasoned very well and nothing was bland. We ate at Jaques the last night of our cruise and both of us were dissappointed because we did find the food to be either bland or have weird consistencies. We had eaten in France at a winery earlier in the day. The chef prepared us traditional french dishes that were wonderful. I'll definitely try Jaques again but won't "save the dinner" for the end of the trip.

Overall we thought the food was wonderful on Oceania and really enjoyed the Terrace Cafe for many of our meals as much or better than the Grand Dining Room or the specialty restaurants. The chocolate croissants were delicious at breakfast and everyone should try them! The milkshakes from Waves by the pool were great too. ( Yep, I'll confirm what you are thinking -I went home heavier than when I started the cruise! It was so worth it!) :D

GLENDALE, why choose?

Order all 3, plus the watermelon and duck salad!!

FDR

It certainly is true that you are not limited to the number of courses you order!

And as someone else said earlier, you can save a few calories by ordering appetizer portions. That is my skinny sister's solution ...

Mura

Two great suggestions, order appetizer portions of them all (and share with OH), otherwise I'd end up joining the bathrobe refugees in the Concierge lounge as nothing else would fit :D

Really looking forward to our cruise on Riviera after a wonderful experience on Nautica.

• 2 months later...

Just as an update.

We had two wonderful meals in Red Ginger and specially enjoyed the Sea Bass, the Lamb and the Chocolate and Lemongrass Creme Brulee.

The Crispy Duck and Watermelon salad was also very enjoyable right up until I think I must have found a seed and a coughing fit ensued :o

My voice did eventually return and I carried on with the salad :)

Red Ginger was our favorite restaurant on our recent cruise. Duck and watermelon salad and the sea bass were amazing. Lobster pad thai was just okay for our liking. I also had a special sea bream one evening that was very good. Nothing was overly spicy. :)

Amazing to me how people quibble about derivation, authenticity, comparison to land restaurants, y9ou name it. Bottom lien to me is....DOES IT TASTE GOOD?

Amen to that...food, your or my likes are totally personal. Maybe its just me but I cant recall ever getting a bad meal on any cruise...I never left hungry or frustrated just happy

I would say that I am surprised that they serve sea bass as it is an endangered fish which most all restaurants here in the US will not serve because of the gross overfishing... As I remember Wolfgang Puck led this awareness....

Archived