Complimentary Espresso and Cappuccino

Relaxing1

We found the charges for our evening cappuccinos were inconsistent on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise February 17 - 24. We each had a cup every evening with our dessert and yet we were only charged on 3 of the 5 evenings we ate in the main dining room. I think a lot of it depends on the evening and how busy the servers were.

Rachel

Perhaps if enough people comment on HAL's decision to charge for espresso and cappuccino in the MDR on their cruise survey, they will reverse their decision.

The same would apply for the reduction of Adagio Strings from four to two (Piano and Violin).

Doesn't seem to be consistent. I know DH didn't pay for espresso on Westerdam in December but it may have changed now.

Ship to ship, it might be vary?

Perhaps if enough people comment on HAL's decision to charge for espresso and cappuccino in the MDR on their cruise survey, they will reverse their decision.

The same would apply for the reduction of Adagio Strings from four to two (Piano and Violin).

Concerning the specialtu coffees, our waiter tolds the charging began the third week of December.

Concerning Adagio Strings, on Maasdam Holiday Cruise, we were happy that we had the full quartet.

Ray in NH

This is really SAD. Perhaps HAL will institute a cover charge for music in the bars and the Explorers Lounge. Better yet they can roll around the player piano that usually substitutes for live music in the MDR. :(

YEA, :D I will be on the Ryndam 3/17/13 and was hoping the cap. was free. We sailed the Zan in 2003 and will be back on the 17th. I'm really looking forward to trying HAL again because we really liked it but Carnival has had cheaper cruises and since we are now retired I'm looking forward to a calmer cruise.:)

On our Zaandam voyage in January, there was some confusion about this. At our first meal in the MDR, we were told that there was a charge for capuccino. When we asked to steward to check to be sure, he came back and said it would be free. It appeared to be an aborted attempt to start charging, but apparently it didn't pan out.

Let's hope that is the case.

• 1 month later...

This sounds like it is inconsistent and depends on the ship you are sailing and when.

We just got off the Ryndam after their TA from Tampa to Barcelona. On that sailing, there was no charge. I asked before I ordered since this thread was being discussed before I cruised. They said "no charge" and I ordered from the dining room the rest of the cruise with no fee.

Cathy

I wonder if it isn't more about discouraging people from ordering it and making the stewards run for it than it is about revenue.

Of course, it's always good when one thing accomplishes two goals. :)

This sounds like it is inconsistent and depends on the ship you are sailing and when.

We just got off the Ryndam after their TA from Tampa to Barcelona. On that sailing, there was no charge. I asked before I ordered since this thread was being discussed before I cruised. They said "no charge" and I ordered from the dining room the rest of the cruise with no fee.

Cathy

HAL has a lot of things which they are inconsistent about.

One example is the Mariner's Brunch -- some ships people report that there are hosts -- while on other ships -- no one hosting any table.

I wonder if it isn't more about discouraging people from ordering it and making the stewards run for it than it is about revenue.

Of course, it's always good when one thing accomplishes two goals. :)

Getting the special coffees does take time -- and being as the staff is already working super hard to handle more guests than years ago, I can see why they are charging for the coffees -- trying to discourage people from ordering.

The prices are really not that steep -- JMO.

The prices are very moderate IMO but collectively throughout the fleet it does add up. I think it's a win-win for them to charge.

DH drinks espresso but I don't drink either espresso or cappaccino.

HAL has a lot of things which they are inconsistent about.

One example is the Mariner's Brunch -- some ships people report that there are hosts -- while on other ships -- no one hosting any table.

LIke distributing invitations to the 'Mariner's Brunch' perhaps? :rolleyes: On my recent cruise onboard the Westerdam I didn't even receive an invitation to, nor know about the 'Mariner's Brunch', until five days after it happened when I enquired at the Front Office'! :( "Oh, I'll let them know"! :rolleyes:

LIke distributing invitations to the 'Mariner's Brunch' perhaps? :rolleyes: On my recent cruise onboard the Westerdam I didn't even receive an invitation to, nor know about the 'Mariner's Brunch', until five days after it happened when I enquired at the Front Office'! :( "Oh, I'll let them know"! :rolleyes:

Maybe they knew about your aversion to the MDR and were trying to be accomodating:p:D;) Seriously, it's too bad you missed it - hopefully you got your tiles

Getting the special coffees does take time -- and being as the staff is already working super hard to handle more guests than years ago, I can see why they are charging for the coffees -- trying to discourage people from ordering.

And, too, the servers in the MDR, apparantly, now have the extra task of taking/delivering indidual orders for glasses of wine! As if they already didn't have enough to do! ;)

Maybe they knew about your aversion to the MDR and were trying to be accomodating:p:D;) Seriously, it's too bad you missed it - hopefully you got your tiles

No worries Jacqui, I probably wouldn't have attended the Mariner's Brunch anyway as I do not/could not eat that much food at noon for lunch! ;) And I approached the Front Office, asked for & received two tiles! :D

I agree.

I don't know why they struggle so much though. I was on the Sapphire Princess last week. The service in the MDR was excellent for the most part and they didn't look like they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The wait staff did have several people to look after. They also take all drink orders including wine bottles and my glass was always filled on a timely basis. I don't understand whey they struggle so much on HAL.

As they cut back and back on the staff in the MDR it would be a good plan to charge for dinner there, that would send more people to the lido or just to skip it. That's why I love HAL, a real premium trip at dollar store prices. I have my mariners medal on EB but so far no takers.

:confused:

Your signature says 38 days on HAL.

How do you have a Mariners Medallion? They start at 100 days?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we will be at 100 days one day into our next cruise. When, if ever, will we get our medallion?

Just realized that we will be at 100 IF double days and onboard spending is included in adding up to the days for Mariner Medallions. So, two questions really. Do those extras count and if so, see question 1!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but we will be at 100 days one day into our next cruise. When, if ever, will we get our medallion?

You will get your Medallion on the cruise during which you reach the required number of days. Be sure to go by the Front Office early in the cruise to verify with them there is no confusion about your day total and tell them you will be expecting to receive it. :)

Keep in mind, the Medallion Program calls for actual days on board (or Alaska land tour). It does not count bonus days for booking a suite or for spending the way the Star Mariner Program does.

Congratulations. Have fun getting your Medallion presented by Captain and Hotel Manager. :)

Just realized that we will be at 100 IF double days and onboard spending is included in adding up to the days for Mariner Medallions. So, two questions really. Do those extras count and if so, see question 1!

I was typing while you were editing your other post.

I answered that question.

Oh well,,,,, you'll just have to see the FCC and book more cruises. :)

Archived