Grand Princess pool

gailgeorge

Yes, there is a retractable roof over the main pool on the Grand Princess. There is also an aft pool, but I don't know what they do with that in Alaska. On our Western Caribbean trip there were a couple times that a stage was put over it for a band to play at sailaway from a port or later in the evening.

Probably same as the open to the air aft pools on HAL ships.

DH actually was able to sit out on deck a few afternoons when we returned from touring. We had great weather in Alaska and the fresh air at the pool was delightful for him and some others.

Certainly other times it would be rainy or cold or unpleasant and that area remains unused in those circumstances.

The Grand Princess has a fairly large pool, covered by a retractable dome, next to the buffet. On our most recent cruise (GP to the Canaries) I did see people eating in that area, and there is one area for smokers, but didn't see a single person actually in the main pool, even when it was open, but the weather was not, to say the least, good! The pool was drained at times because of high seas.

I'm sure you will be a hardier lot on your Alaska cruise :)

Archived