MDR Slower Service

We've only taken one cruise and it was on the Disney Dream with our then 6 and 3 year olds. Dinner was at least two hours every night. Honestly, it was torture to try and keep the kids entertained and in their seats. I was shocked that Disney, of all companies, made it such a long process. The only other option was to head up for a slice of mediocre pizza. My husband and I are cruising alone for our tenth anniversary, but I don't ever see us cruising with the kids again.

Royal has a great program for the parents! You dine with the kids, they are served very quickly, Adventure Ocean staff comes to get them, you finish off the end of your meal in quiet and relaxed. It really works!

On this most recent cruise we didn't say anything because they already seemed to be pretty frazzled. It was only their second or third week with the new menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of my four cruises (Independence, Jewel, and Navigator), dinner always took between 1:45 to 2:00 hours. These were all in the main dining room, early seating. The two-hour dinners usually occurred on nights that featured a parade (either chefs or waiters).

And I must disagree with you.

If I or LangleyC wanted 2 plus hour dinners, we might consider going to Europe.

However, when I am on a cruise, a two hour plus dinner would be totally unacceptable.

And I disagree with you maybe your expectations are different but on a cruise its all about relaxing and taking it easy. I hope to meet you at the Windjammer where you can gobble down your food in record time.

But for me the MDR pace is perfect.

I think people are being too demanding, ordering several entrees, appitizers, sending things back, asking their children ten times what they want for dinner, asking for special orders, etc. This delays not only the server but the kitchen. You could not pay me enough to be a ship's server.

On my last three or four cruises it feels like the length of time for dinner service in the MDR has extended considerably. When it didn't seem so long I didn't notice or check how long it took to be served, but after what felt like slower service recently i actually timed the dinner service. For a 5:30 seating it was 7:15 before our desserts were delivered to the table. That was consistent on my recent Navigator cruise. Do any other experienced cruisers feel that dinner in the MDR is taking longer now than it used to? Maybe we've just had slower waiters, it has seemed like we've been some of the last people served most nights too.

My opinion as an experienced cruiser is that if you are timing your meal you are NOT enjoying it or your cruise. If you are concerned about getting to a show or event after dinner then all you need do is tell your waiter that you need to be done in time for it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D;)

I think people are being too demanding, ordering several entrees, appitizers, sending things back, asking their children ten times what they want for dinner, asking for special orders, etc. This delays not only the server but the kitchen. You could not pay me enough to be a ship's server.

No question that it's a tough job. But I don't think any of the items you mention are new. What I thought was that I had perceived a change in the speed with which dinners are being served over the past few years. What I'm starting to think now is that I've just been a little unlucky recently and gotten slower, newer, or more overworked teams. This fits with my observation that on our last three or four cruises we have been one of the last tables to finish.

My opinion as an experienced cruiser is that if you are timing your meal you are NOT enjoying it or your cruise. If you are concerned about getting to a show or event after dinner then all you need do is tell your waiter that you need to be done in time for it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D;)

I'm enjoying my cruises very much. You are correct that the long waits I've experienced between courses on recent cruises have diminished my enjoyment of the meals. I'll hope for more efficient service on Allure in August, but if I feel it's lacking I will talk to the head waiter.

Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. Dinners are no different than 5 years ago. You get the pace you ask for, or the sense the waiters have for the serving speed you want. All I've learned from this thread is everyone's experience is different. :eek:

MTD does not necessarily get the most experienced staff, All waiters are very experienced, there are no rookie waiters.

Dinner is dinner, I can't for the life of me understand how a new menu would make any difference what-so-ever? The waiters don't cook it!

Archived