Oceania vs Regent

Robbie22

We have done 2 Oceania cruise's in the last 2 years and have enjoyed both of them. We are looking at a Lima to BA 20 day cruise in Feb. of next year and Regent and Oceania have sailings about 5 days apart. Regent is more money, what makes them more special vs Oceania? Robbie

Regent is the all inclusive pre-fix product from your home depatrure to return. Its a 700 passenger experience ..low key mind you with delightful shipmates.

Oceania, is owned by the same folks as Regent and is the Ala Carte version of Regent with 1200 passengers

I was a loyal Regent Passenger but with the advent of ALL-ALL inclusive ment that I could not take advantage of shore ex because I tour on my own. Too, I have so many UAL miles that flying is no cost ( well it was but I already paid for them)

I think its all about what you want for your self.:cool:

Gratuities too! :)

Oceania has some promotion that include gratuities & you can shop around as some TA's also include them

Regent has smaller ships less passengers

Oceania has 2 sizes of ships 684 PAX & 1250 PAX

We prefer the "pay as you go" method of Oceania

We do private tours & do not drink much

It is a personal choice

both lines have their pros & cons

Depends on your needs/wants what cruise line will work best for you

If price were no concern, we would continue to sail Regent. We have over 100 days with them, but when they went to all-inclusive, our last Regent was in 2010. We don't drink so it made no sense to pay almost double for Regent. Oceania offers a similar experience and we are happy to be able to sail with them.

The staff on Regent would call us by name, which we didn't notice on Oceania, except for our room steward.

If we wanted something from the MDR when we were in the buffet, someone went down to get it.

I think you will enjoy either cruise line.

Happy cruising, Joanne

Having done cruises now on both lines I ask myself "what is luxury". (Cos I rather like luxury...)

Being a person who cannot use the included air - no air from Switzerland... And a person who has been to an awful lot of places in this world (not all of them "awful"!) and so one who takes few excursions, "all inclusive" doesn't mean "luxury" to me. What luxury does mean is having a lovely suite. Eating wonderful meals that are well presented, well served and delicious. Having perfect or near to perfect service at all levels. Now that - I found on Oceania on our recent cruise. I did not experience that on our last Regent cruise.

I am willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. Someone remarked that "rooms on Oceania are smaller than on Regent". Not so. What IS correct is that Oceania has some cabins that are smaller than almost any on Regent. And some that are about the same (but cost less for an identical cruise) and some that are slightly larger.

So I come back to my point. WHAT is luxury? And the answer is very subjective. To one person it is all inclusive. To another it is food and service. To a third, it is a combination of all three.

... Now that - I found on Oceania on our recent cruise. I did not experience that on our last Regent cruise.

.. Someone remarked that "rooms on Oceania are smaller than on Regent". Not so. What IS correct is that Oceania has some cabins that are smaller than almost any on Regent. And some that are about the same (but cost less for an identical cruise) and some that are slightly larger.

We agree on something!:D

IIRC Regent has zero inside cabins and the average cabin on Regent is I believe larger than the average cabin on O (further a higher % of Regents cabins have veranda's). On Regent every cabin can order a hot meal via room service, from what I understand this is limited to cabin category on O (a class distinction not present on Regent). As for price, for some reason when I look they come out very near each other (this may be the specific cruises I looked at, YMMV...)

We ALWAYS like the buffet breakfast, no matter what and we do the Owners Suite.

We did not FEEL any class distinction when we were aboard. I wished more of the cruise knew our names, as a matter of fact.

We DO NOT like the MDR, so we were very happy with the alternative restaurants and The Terrace Cafe (no class distinction).

We DO love the new ship. We DO NOT want to be like the people on Carnival on an old ship floating around with NOTHING. We experienced Seabourn on an OLD, OLD SHIP and honestly, OLD IS NOT BETTER! We have experienced Crystal on the second largest suites,m and OLD IS NOT BETTER, BUT their crew does remember a person's name.

We are NOT particular about the NAME on the label of the wine. We do not expect anything better than what we get at home. We DO NOT feel that when you pay for a cruise you get the key to the liquor locker or the wine locker.

We DID get a magnificent bottle of champagne on O and left it in the refrigerator.

Everyone, EVERYONE has something that is more important to them than the other does. On these boards, people act like wardens in a prison DEFENDING what maybe doesn't "yank someone else's chain".

We can't do that. We feel that everyone wants something else. It is when you expect the impossible or LOOK FOR A FLAW that you can get yourself in a "wad" and make it all bad.

We like "O". The only MAJOR problem is, how do you treat someone to a drink that you invite to join you, and you have a drink card. This is HARD, but not a deal breaker.

. The only MAJOR problem is, how do you treat someone to a drink that you invite to join you, and you have a drink card. This is HARD, but not a deal breaker.

You just pay for their drinks like you would in a restaurant on shore :rolleyes:

It will show up on your Shipboard account

I know you can't treat someone to drinks on a package. I suppose I could have asked to have them billed separately, or better still bought a bottle of wine. I just didn't think you could do that. Duh! LOL

Buying Drinks for a third party when you have purchased the Beverage Package is EXACTLY the same deal as if you had not purchased a Package.

You buy them a drink and you are charged for it.

What you cannot do is buy drinks for others and have them be included in the price of YOUR Package.

I am not sure I understand why it makes a difference if people are having a drink together if each couple or person or whatever pays for his/her own drinks... and you can certainly do this with the drinks package. Just say you'd love to meet for a drink and then sort it out.

Much discussion on "buying a round " on the Regent forum

Just a different mindset

It may make you feel magnanimous in "buying a round"

In reality each person has paid for their own drinks upfront as it is an all-inclusive cruise line

We have bought people drinks (before the drink packages) it just goes on our bill ...just like in any bar/restaurant in the world

Lyn

The couple we were with did not have a drink card and we wanted to treat, but I didn't know you could do this. In most cases people we met did have a drink card and they just put them out. This particular couple, it turned out, had a traveling bottle of their favorite wine, so there was no discussion. We did have them to our suite beforehand though. All is well and we live and learn.

You have not complimented me on changing my ways and putting whole sentences in my title! LOL.

Archived