Duty Free Bottled Liquor Prices on board? Worth the trouble?

Has anyone price compared onboard liquor prices recently? Just wanted to see if it is worth planning on buying some while on board, if the cost savings justifies the trouble in buying it on board...( we are driving to the port, so air restrictions are not an issue)...would like to see all different type liquor costs currently if someone knows them

I live in Virginia and all our liquor sales are run by the state [ABC board]. They have an online price list.

Before our cruise I go online and download the list. Then I can compare the two to see if it is a good deal.

For example--the Absolute Vodka they were selling on board 2 for $22-- cost $25.95 each at our local store. I bought 2 Bailey's of around $36. That is about 1/2 price for our stores.

Rum is very cheap.

If we are driving to the port I always buy some.

Somethings are good deals especially before you reach the first island to visit, we found that out after we visited our first port the prices were never that low on board again. We also bring a state price guide for alcohol which our state issues monthly (Ala.) to make comparisons, why buy it if we can get it cheaper at home.. Some items are not available for us at home like the "Hennessy Pure White" so we go for hard to get items also. Most of the port shops prices are similar since I think they are owned by some of the same owners. In 2 weeks we go on the Liberty and we will be purchasing some that first night out, knowing we won't see some of those prices again.

I guess it varies, but it depends on what you want and is it worth it.

Butterfly625

Booze and cigs are the highest taxed luxury items there are...i guess it depends where you live, for myself, its totally worth it to buy duty free...I'm in NY. I always drive to pier and bring home as much as i can carry....... enjoy..B

Rum was definitely cheaper. Just watch your sizes though. The bottles on the ship tend to be 1 liter, where my local store is usually 750 ml.

We bought 1 liter bottles of Captain Morgan for $9.99 each. I can get a 1.75 ml on sale for $24.99 so was worth the price to pick up 4 since we drove to the port. We were over our limit and declared exactly what we had but were not charged duty.

I live in MO, which has a lower than most state tax...however I still find the prices for "most" liquors are better onboard.

That being said, many are not that cheaper (maybe $5 bucks and that is not enough savings for me to haul back to the midwest).

I prefer to buy some that I cannot find at home. Specifically, Sheridan's liquor (1/2 coffee liquor and 1/2 white chocolate) is FANTASTIC and not available for purchase in the US. To have it shipped to the US from UK is about $100 a bottle...and I can buy it for around $26 (I think, maybe less) onboard or some of the duty free shops in the ports. I like to buy as unusual gifts for our friends who have rather large wet bars at home.

I think you are stopping in St Thomas. That's the best island to buy liquor. As long as you buy 1 liter of rum from UVI you can buy 4 additional liters and you will save money. Otherwise you are only allowed 2 liters duty free. (not that they really check at customs) Dynasty Dazzlers Havensight Mall, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands has the best prices I've found outside of downtown Charlotte Amalie. Plus it's 100 yards away from the dock, you don't have to lug the box around or worry that the store will deliver your purchase. Save your receipt to prove the rum purchase.

The ship prices were higher or equal to St. Thomas, but you are only allowed 2 liters thru customs.

Enjoy your cruise.

I think you are stopping in St Thomas. That's the best island to buy liquor. As long as you buy 1 liter of rum from UVI you can buy 4 additional liters and you will save money. Otherwise you are only allowed 2 liters duty free. (not that they really check at customs) Dynasty Dazzlers Havensight Mall, St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands has the best prices I've found outside of downtown Charlotte Amalie. Plus it's 100 yards away from the dock, you don't have to lug the box around or worry that the store will deliver your purchase. Save your receipt to prove the rum purchase.

The ship prices were higher or equal to St. Thomas, but you are only allowed 2 liters thru customs.

Enjoy your cruise.

Need help understanding this rule allowing more liquor than 2 bottles?

Thanks to everyone for your input...Tennessee has significant tax on liquor, so this is helpful...

Need help understanding this rule allowing more liquor than 2 bottles?

Thanks to everyone for your input...Tennessee has significant tax on liquor, so this is helpful...

U.S. residents 21 years of age and older can return to the mainland with four litres of liquor, duty free. Add a 5th litre duty free if it is a product made in the U.S. Virgin Islands! Compare this to the one-litre-per-person duty free limit outside the U.S. territory, including stores on board cruise ships.

http://www.ahriise.com/Customs.html

Also a great place to buy liquor, but it's downtown. I can't seem to find the customs site on Google, but I'm 100% positive this is correct.

Can you drink the liquor you buy on board during the cruise or do you have to pick it up at the end?

It will be delivered on the last night. Day of departure there are LOTS of empty bottles in the hall...

My question is about Puerto Rico. I have looked to see if there is a different rule [than the usual 2L rule] for DH and I]. Can not find the rule for PR.

We leave from there next month and then cruise to Baltimore. So, no flying home.

From what I can find, Puerto Rico is treated like a state; it's not a duty free port like St Thomas/USVI. It's what you can carry/get on a flight if you're flying. I do recall you don't have to declare items bought in Puerto Rico...

Maryland may have its own rules, and CBP will theoretically enforce those.

Stoli usually around $11/L Meyer's dark rum $13/L Cruzan rum 8-9$/L

Last time in St. Martin I bought Cointreau @ Friendly Duty Free that was ~$24/L

That's a great price for cointreau. I plan on getting some next month. Can you pin point where this place is, center of town, etc. thanks.

From what I can find, Puerto Rico is treated like a state; it's not a duty free port like St Thomas/USVI. It's what you can carry/get on a flight if you're flying. I do recall you don't have to declare items bought in Puerto Rico...

Maryland may have its own rules, and CBP will theoretically enforce those.

I continued looking after I posted this message. I found this on Weather.com. [i know that is a strange place--but, true:p]

Puerto Rico:

U.S. citizens do not need to clear Puerto Rican Customs upon arrival by plane or ship from the U.S. mainland. All non-U.S. citizens must clear Customs and are permitted to bring in items intended for their personal use, including tobacco, cameras, film, and a limited supply of liquor (usually 40 oz.).

What You Can Take Home

U.s. Customs -- On departure, U.S.-bound travelers must have their luggage inspected by the U.S. Agriculture Department because laws prohibit bringing fruits and plants to the U.S. mainland. Fruits and vegetables are not allowed, but otherwise, you can bring back as many purchased goods as you want without paying duty.

For more information, contact the U.S. Customs Service, 1300 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20229 (tel. 877/287-8867; http://www.customs.gov, click on "Travel" and then "Know Before You Go Online Brochure") and request the free pamphlet Know Before You Go.

• 5 months later...

Here's the USVI liquor rules:

$1,600 Exemption

If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption.

If you travel to a U.S. insular possession and to one or more of the Caribbean Basin or Andean countries listed above, let’s say on a Caribbean cruise, you may bring back $1,600 worth of items without paying duty, but only $800 worth of these items may come from the Caribbean Basin or Andean country or countries. Any amount beyond $800 will be dutiable unless you acquired it in one of the insular possessions. For example, if you were to travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Jamaica, you would be allowed to bring back $1,600 worth of merchandise duty free, as long as only $800 worth was acquired in Jamaica.

Also, you may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of the $1,600 exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession. Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. For example, if you were touring the South Pacific and you stopped in Tahiti, American Samoa, and other ports of call, you could bring back five cartons of cigarettes, but four of them would have to have been bought in American Samoa.

Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. Four may be products of other countries.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/kbyg/types_of_exemptions.xml

• 1 month later...

My husband and I were doing B2B X cruises a year ago and decided to buy some liquor while in the only stop in St. Thomas (which was on the first leg.) The bottles were delivered the last night of the first back to back. If we wanted, we could drink them the rest of the second cruise. I was surprised they were delivered but then again, it would be difficult for the crew to sort through who was doing B2B or not.

That's a great price for cointreau. I plan on getting some next month. Can you pin point where this place is, center of town, etc. thanks.

Sorry, never saw your post...

They are on Front St. in Saint Martin. They also have a FB page.

U.S. residents 21 years of age and older can return to the mainland with four litres of liquor, duty free. Add a 5th litre duty free if it is a product made in the U.S. Virgin Islands! Compare this to the one-litre-per-person duty free limit outside the U.S. territory, including stores on board cruise ships.

4 liters!!! As a Canadian I get 1 bottle (up to 1.14 liters) max to bring home :(

Archived