2 nights pre-cruise NYC (Breakaway, Sept)?

psyfi

I have started the process of trying to find a hotel in NYC for a Fri/Sat near the end of Sept. flights into Newark are the cheapest for us. I was considering the Millennium Hilton, which is right next to Freedom Tower. If I am understanding correctly, I could take the air train and transfer to the PATH red line, which would take us right there? While it is south, it is near several different subway lines do I feel we could get all over the island pretty easily. And because we are there on a weekend, this hotel is less than during the week (in the $250 range). My husband has never been to NYC, I was there once, 15 years ago. We are considering going to the Top of the Rock or empire state building, Central Park, the ground zero museum, Statue of Liberty, etc... Perhaps a circle island tour by boat, times square, etc... So wherever we stay we will still need to travel to see some of the things we want to do. We will arrive early afternoon on the Friday and leave Sunday on the Breakaway. Short visit so yes I know I need to narrow our touring plans, still working on that. Thoughts?

Yes - if you can manage your luggage, you can take Airtrain to the Newark airport Station and ride one stop to Newark Penn Station. This costs $8.25. Path directly to the WTC is $2.25. So for $21 you can go from the airport to your hotel in downtown NY.

You are right about the availability of subway service from a more centrally located area in downtown to anywhere in midtown from east to west. Most folks seem to like staying in the Times Square area, but as you mention the reality is that wherever you stay, you will have to travel to get to some of the sights you want to see.

Just call it the WTC, nobody calls it the Freedom Tower, really.:) You can divide your sight seeing into 2 sections, downtown, where the hotel is, and midtown, where Empire State building, Central Park Times Square is. Focus on one area per day. One thing that wasn't on your list, but very doable from your hotel is walking the Brooklyn Bridge. You need to get tickets for the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. You will be passing pretty close to the Statue from your ship when it sails out of the harbor so if you can't make it there this time, you will still get a pretty good view. So jealous you are on the Breakaway!

Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to be PC about WTC, Freedom Tower, ground zero... Good to know people still call it WTC! Glad to know I figured out the transport ok. And I did not know you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge ( still researching all there is to do). Thanks again!

Just a suggestion

Take the 2.5 hour, Full Island Circle Line tour. http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/cruise-details.aspx?id=1

This tour goes completely around Manhattan (weather permitting). NOBODY ever sees the East side of Manhattan from the water except on this tour. I have taken the "regular" CircleLine tour probably 20 times or more. I did the "around the island" tour two years ago in January. It was so different and very special. We couldn't get completely around the island because of ice but you should have no such problems in September.

Who would have thunk the Mayor of NY lives in a Southern plantation style YELLOW house with white picket fence? Mayor Bloomberg does not live there but he could and other Mayors have lived in Gracie Mansion. Seeing the United Nations from the water was pretty special. And all the little islands with all the NY history was fascinating. The guide even pointed out the River Cafe, one of my favorite restaurants in all of NYC.

Just very, very different and really worth the time.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to be PC about WTC, Freedom Tower, ground zero... Good to know people still call it WTC! Glad to know I figured out the transport ok. And I did not know you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge ( still researching all there is to do). Thanks again!

I second the comment from Got2Cruise: one of my favorite New York memories was when we took the subway from lower Manhattan to the High St stop in Brooklyn (A,C line), then walked back across the bridge to Manhattan. It was hot when we were there, so we only wanted to walk in one direction, and the views walking back toward Manhattan were very special. There is an elevated pedestrian/bicycle boardwalk on the bridge, so you are walking above the cars, not next to them.

If you do the walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the morning the sun won't be in your eyes, as you are walking roughly east to west. Awesome views of the bridge towers/cabling - and of course of the city. Highly recommend. If you're interested, here's an article about tips on walking the bridge:

http://brooklyn.about.com/od/brooklynbridge/a/How-To-Walk-The-Brooklyn-Bridge-Manhattan-To-Brooklyn-Brooklyn-To-Manhattan.htm

Pls keep the info coming we r lookg at ncl gem 9/21 departure and flyg in few days prior. Psyfi ur post was exactly the questions I was beginning to gather. New York with its different burroughs uptown downtown lower manhattan etc etc is confusing to this motor city girl. We drive everywhere ...so subways trains "Ls" redlines etc r so confusing lol! so renting a car isnt a necessity, right?

If you feel uncomfortable using public transportation. Take one of the many many guided tours available. Look on Tripadvisor. The HoHo bus tours are very popular and there are several different loops. I think there is a two day pass where you can take all the routes if you want. You might want a regular guided tour on a tour bus with a guide. Then there are specialized tours, such as "sex in the city tour", foodies tour, etc.

Pls keep the info coming we r lookg at ncl gem 9/21 departure and flyg in few days prior. Psyfi ur post was exactly the questions I was beginning to gather. New York with its different burroughs uptown downtown lower manhattan etc etc is confusing to this motor city girl. We drive everywhere ...so subways trains "Ls" redlines etc r so confusing lol! so renting a car isnt a necessity, right?

I second the comment from Got2Cruise: one of my favorite New York memories was when we took the subway from lower Manhattan to the High St stop in Brooklyn (A,C line), then walked back across the bridge to Manhattan. It was hot when we were there, so we only wanted to walk in one direction, and the views walking back toward Manhattan were very special. There is an elevated pedestrian/bicycle boardwalk on the bridge, so you are walking above the cars, not next to them.

If you do the walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the morning the sun won't be in your eyes, as you are walking roughly east to west. Awesome views of the bridge towers/cabling - and of course of the city. Highly recommend. If you're interested, here's an article about tips on walking the bridge:

http://brooklyn.about.com/od/brooklynbridge/a/How-To-Walk-The-Brooklyn-Bridge-Manhattan-To-Brooklyn-Brooklyn-To-Manhattan.htm

Thanks for the info, as a photographer, that sounds cool to me, if we can fit it in!

Driving anytime in NYC is like being in rush hour in Detroit. Parked. Plus if you think it is hard to figure out subway lines, it is very hard to get around by car, and sightsee at the same time, and crazy expensive to park. Public transportation is easy, once you figure it out.

Don't rent a car in NYC. If you book the cruise, book a hotel as well. It's high season in NYC (fashion week and other events) and hotels are at their top dollar around that time.

I checked fashion week ends the weekend before our cruise. But yes still expensive!

Archived