missing the boat

booboojoy

We have seen people miss the ship -- even crew members -- in various ports.

It can be very expenisve to catch up to the ship in the next port.

And you had better have your passport with you - and a credit card to handle all the extra expensives.

If it is embarkation day and you have not bought the cruise line's air -- the ship will not wait for you here either.

I always advise people to fly into the embarkation port 1 or 2 days early.

thats what it was..embarkation day for ds andd dil. they won't fly ..they train it an they have to take their car (?????) from boston. lol they just by the skin of their teeth made it yesterday..they wouldn't take mt advice and were listening to others on ship telling them they ha till 5t5 o clock because of day light saving lol.:D

When in port, a smaller ship may sometimes delay departure to wait for a late passenger. This happened to us in January aboard the WindSurf in Les Saintes, FWI. The last tender was scheduled to leave the pier at 4:00 pm, and the tender crew did a head count and realized one passenger was missing. They asked all of us for our names and cabin numbers so they could determine the identity of the missing person. The ship's purser then got the missing person's passport from the safe and took it down to the gangway where it was going to be given to the returning tender to be taken back to the pier and given to the ship's agent. At 4:20, one of the crew did a walk about in the town armed with a description of the missing passenger. They found her, she boarded the tender, and we returned to the ship at 4:30. A few more minutes and she would have been left. But the ship did delay its departure for a very lucky lady.

When in port, a smaller ship may sometimes delay departure to wait for a late passenger. This happened to us in January aboard the WindSurf in Les Saintes, FWI. The last tender was scheduled to leave the pier at 4:00 pm, and the tender crew did a head count and realized one passenger was missing. They asked all of us for our names and cabin numbers so they could determine the identity of the missing person. The ship's purser then got the missing person's passport from the safe and took it down to the gangway where it was going to be given to the returning tender to be taken back to the pier and given to the ship's agent. At 4:20, one of the crew did a walk about in the town armed with a description of the missing passenger. They found her, she boarded the tender, and we returned to the ship at 4:30. A few more minutes and she would have been left. But the ship did delay its departure for a very lucky lady.

The luxury of sailing a small ship that usually goes into smaller ports and on quiet days. ;)

We were on the last tender by choice at Santorini, but we were down in the dock area where they board the tenders at the base of the cliff and had talked to the security guy. He told us that there would be one more tender after the one that was loading--because he wasn't getting on that one--so if we wanted to go buy some postcards at the shop 100 feet away, we had time to do so--just keep an eye and be back when we saw the last tender headed over.

why , thank you and a good morning to you. i did not say I was ever late nor do I ever worry about me being late. My son and dil were " running" for their 1st cruise yesterday on disney dream. they were getting conflicting stories about all aboard from family on ship . soo it got me thinking about how other people have dealt with this. oh and to answer your question...yes i do know the answer to this question. thanks for your concern

:)

thats what it was..embarkation day for ds andd dil. they won't fly ..they train it an they have to take their car (?????) from boston. lol they just by the skin of their teeth made it yesterday..they wouldn't take mt advice and were listening to others on ship telling them they ha till 5t5 o clock because of day light saving lol.:D

Sorry -- I didn't mean to come off as snarky in my reply. But, your original post didn't have much specific information -- so, my immediate response was: they don't know that by now? In my experience RC (and X) has always been very clear about time deadlines (both embarkation and in port). But, once you explained that it was your grown kids who nearly missed their ship on a different cruise line (Disney), I can better understand your question. I can particularly relate to the part about the kids not taking your advice -- boy, haven't we all been there, lol! Glad to hear that they made it. Being onboard by the skin of your teeth is much better than watching the ship sail away without you. ;)

What you need to emphasize to the "kids" (if they will listen) is the importance of getting their exact boarding times / deadlines directly from the cruise line, not from other passengers on board (or even on these boards). Some of these deadlines (e.g. embarkation) are not even controlled by the cruise line, but mandated by Homeland Security. I can actually remember a time when you could dash onboard, tugging your suitcases, as they rolled the gangway up after you -- but, no more!

has anyone ( or know anyone) ever misse their ship because they were late? how strict are the cruiselines on this policy.
We have been on several cruises where passengers missed the ship and boarded at down line ports, for one reason or another.

How difficult or expensive this is to do will vary greatly depending upon the circumstances involved.

At some locations it is quite easy and inexpensive to catch up with the ship at another port, while in other situations it can be complicated or extremely expensive, or not allowed at all.

has anyone ( or know anyone) ever misse their ship because they were late? how strict are the cruiselines on this policy.

thanks

Edit: has anyone ( or know anyone) ever missed their plane because they were late? how strict are the airlines on this policy.

We all know the answer to that one. A plane with 100 people won't wait. A ship with 4000 won't either.

OK so suppose you miss the sailing in CocoCay Bahamas or St. Maarten or whatever, and suppose further you have money and a passport, are there any plausible options for re-joining your ship? Or do you just try to get a flight back to Florida and hope there's some way to get your clothes, laptop, and contents of the room safe returned to you?

..... doubt they will leave u in cococay ........

they will round u up in their rhino, herd u onto the last tender ... and push u in the closing hatch .......

Edit: has anyone ( or know anyone) ever missed their plane because they were late? how strict are the airlines on this policy.

I've had a plane held at the gate for me when my connecting flight arrived at the same time I was supposed to take off. Having top-tier status with that airline helped. I wasn't even in my seat and was stowing my bag as they started pushing back.

Couple of years ago we were sailing out a Cabo. All of a sudden I noticed the ship was turning around and going back. Sure enough we went back and picked up two people. It appeared to be a grandmother and child. We stopped out a ways and they lowered a tender,sent it back to the pier and picked up the people. That was very exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airlines routinely hold planes at hubs for passengers who are arriving on delayed connecting flights.

They are most likely to do it when it is the last flight of the day to a terminating airport, one where passengers will not be needing to make further connections that day.

For example, they would be likely to hold a departing flight out of DFW to AUS if the inbound connecting flight from LAX is delayed.

They would not be likely to hold a departing flight out of DFW to JFK that has a lot of passengers on board needing to make international connections at JFK.

An exception would be if they had a large group of passengers on the inbound flight needing to make the connection.

It is kind of a tradeoff -- do we get the flight out on time and get stuck with putting up the connecting passengers overnight and rebooking them for the next day, or do we delay the outbound flight so we can get rid of them all tonight.

We encountered a prime example the year they held the olympics at Vancouver when they had just installed a new security system at the airport and were having major problems with it.

The morning that we disembarked from a cruise ship, the airport lines were so long and slow that we were all convinced we would surely miss our flights, even though we got to the airport very early.

We were still waiting in snaking lines well beyond our scheduled departure time and had not yet cleared security.

But they held the departing planes to the USA for 3 hours past their scheduled departure times that day, just to get rid of us all.

They were probably thinking there was no way they wanted to face all those unhappy, angry, disgruntled people again the following morning. :D

LOL - Funny that ... children not listening to a parent's advice :D They'll listen next time won't they?

We all know the answer to that one. A plane with 100 people won't wait. A ship with 4000 won't either.

A plane was held for my/husbands connecting flight. Our first flight came in late and what was to be over an hour layover turned into a missed connection. We assumed we had missed it and never asked the attendants to hold it for us. We got off our plane and heard our names over the speakers. We bolted through the terminal to the other gate. It was FAR and took a while. We arrived at the other gate and they annouced " We've been waiting for you!" and then practically tossed us down the jetway by our belt loops. As the plane pushed back we were making our way through the aisle thanking everyone for waiting for our late flight :) So, it can happen. I wouldn't EXPECT it to happen, but it could.

A plane was held for my/husbands connecting flight. Our first flight came in late and what was to be over an hour layover turned into a missed connection. We assumed we had missed it and never asked the attendants to hold it for us. We got off our plane and heard our names over the speakers. We bolted through the terminal to the other gate. It was FAR and took a while. We arrived at the other gate and they annouced " We've been waiting for you!" and then practically tossed us down the jetway by our belt loops. As the plane pushed back we were making our way through the aisle thanking everyone for waiting for our late flight :) So, it can happen. I wouldn't EXPECT it to happen, but it could.

this happens occasionally. The airlines are responsible to get you to the final destination. They know from their computers who is not yet on the connecting flight and sometimes will hold a plane for a while to get everyone aboard especially later in the day when their are no further flights to the final destination. but its not the cruise lines responsibility when you get off to make sure you get back on

I am buying my plane tickets from Carniva,l to make sure I get on my ship for the next cruise, in Europe.

You might want to read the threads about consolidator airfares on the Cruise Air board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

before you committ to cruise line airfares. There are some landmines you can step on. There are other ways to assure you get on the ship.

We have been on several cruises where passengers missed the ship and boarded at down line ports, for one reason or another.

How difficult or expensive this is to do will vary greatly depending upon the circumstances involved.

At some locations it is quite easy and inexpensive to catch up with the ship at another port, while in other situations it can be complicated or extremely expensive, or not allowed at all.

And for those passengers who don't feel they need a passport because it's a closed loop cruise - they won't be catching up with their ship.

And for those passengers who don't feel they need a passport because it's a closed loop cruise - they won't be catching up with their ship.

This is not always the case.

You can fly within US territory (e.g. San Juan to USVI) with just a DL.

If you have a passport card or enhanced DL there are a few other cases... if you miss the ship in the BVI you can ferry to USVI and then fly to a US territory. And you already know about the Bahamas-Florida ferry. :cool:

I love it when my seat is empty on a plane. No one to bother me...

Same on ship love it when it's quiet around....

So don't miss thee plane. It will depart today w/o you.

Why would you love it if your seat is empty on a plane? Doesn't that mean you missed it and there is nobody(including you)sitting in your seat?

Our most dispiriting airport experience was when we were using Schiphol (Amsterdam) as a hub, flying from our local Leeds-Bradford airport via Amsterdam to Washington. Now, our little airport is the highest in Britain, and is rather prone to fog, however on this early morning it was clear BUT Amsterdam was fog-bound, so our little plane couldn't take off. After a couple of hours they opened Amsterdam, but opened it to big planes taking off before little planes landing. So, we arrived in Amsterdam and had to walk past the departure gate where all the passengers were still waiting to get on our big plane to Washington, but they didn't hold it for us. It was a disastrous day, eventually they loaded up a Jumbo full of people who were trying to go to Washington, Montreal, JFK, LaGuardia, Bermuda, Bahamas, Miami, Atlanta and a bunch of other places, and flew us to .... Detroit! Yep, spot the airline! We didn't speak to anyone who was trying to go to Detroit, or who had met anyone else who was trying to go to Detroit. And our luggage obviously didn't want to go to Detroit, so it took several days to reach us in Maryland. But that at least was consistent, we've used Schiphol three times to fly to the States and on each occasion at least some of the luggage has failed to fly with us.

It really was truly frustrating knowing we were there and the plane was there but that we were not allowed to get on it.

Archived