The perfect SAIL AWAY outfit

MarisaBlu

Hi Everyone

I am new to this board, and have been reading the many different posts, and I would like to express thanks to all the ladies out there who are kind enough to share their personal preferences and cruise experiences.

My question is: What is your personal favourite perfect outfit for Sail Away, whether it is separates, layers, dress etc.

I know it depends on time of year, cruise destination etc.......but you savvy ladies out there must have a great sense of appropriate and fabulous outfits.

We are going on a TA, out of Lauderdale, which will be the first part Caribbean for 4 days, across the Atlantic for 6 days, with the final destination being Rome...

We will encounter hot and not so hot climates on this TA, so versatility, I guess, is the key!

Looking forward to your responses!

I don't really choose anything special for sailaway.

If you're traveling from Toronto that same day, and are doing a TransAtlantic, plan for layers. Depending on the weather on sea days, you may need the heavier layers.

But if you find that it's really cold when you leave home, put your sailaway outfit in your carry on and change when you get to the cabin. It could be anything from a sun dress to shorts & top, depending on the weather that day and your style. I tend to stay away from shorts & am more likely to wear a sundress or skirt myself, just because that's more suitable for the dining room IMO.

My standard boarding outfit is white jeans and a pirate-style navy blue and white stripe T-shirt. If it is really hot, the white jeans become white capris. If it is chilly, my "uniform" is topped with a navy blue blazer.

I accessorize with my favorite anchor necklace and might tie a red scarf on the straps of my travel purse. I wear comfy shoes or Sperry Topsiders.

One time my "uniform" may have been too convincing. A very anxious passenger once approached me just before the muster and asked me if I were a person "in authority". He was so anxious I told him I wasn't in authority but perhaps I could direct him where to get help.

He told me he had never sailed before and asked me if the beds could be separated and I told him all he had to do was ask his room steward and it would be done for him, no questions asked. He was so relieved.

Thanks to all you Ladies who responded to my "Perfect Sail Away outfit".

I really tend to over-shop before my cruises, and after everything is packed, cannot decide on what I should wear for sail day of...I just got back from a visit with family in Scottsdale Arizona, and Atlanta, and the shopping was fabulous, Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off 5TH, Last Call etc....bargains and selection that you would never get in Canada!

I am learning a lot on this board, as far as putting a "disciplined" cruise wardrobe together, and co-ordinating with just a few colour schemes for ease of accessorizing and packing.

But I feel that the Sail Away really sets the tone, as you want to feel great when you board, and meet friends for drinks, food etc. This cruise will be a 15 day TA, with lots of sea days, of course, and destination Rome.........more shopping!

Thanks again for your suggestions!

I wear a casual, but put together outfit. Typically, it's a sundress or something similar. I like to wear a hat, nice shoes and jewelry too. I do bring an outfit in my carryon for dinner because I end up doing alot of walking and want to freshen up before dinner.

I tend to wear business casual if I have just flown in, but something that is comfortable enough to wear from really early until when we get on the ship. I am much more careful now than I used to be - and I try to fly in the day before, so that I don't look like death warmed -over in the boarding pictures!! If we arrive the day before then I still like to look nice enough for pictures. I hate looking like I just stepped out of a people of Walmart email LOL, but I want to look like I'm on vacation at the same time :) I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise and hope that you spend your money on the vacation and not the wardrobe :)

No dress, no skirt! I learned that the hard way; could not enjoy one of my sailaways because I was too busy trying to hold my hem down! Bad choice that day. :(

I wear sundresses and skirts everyday. The trick is that I know which skirt styles can catch the wind. On those that can, I wear bike shorts underneath.

I probably go against what would be popular....anything nautical, if I think something looks nautical I won't buy it. It depends on the weather, of course, but it's usually nice pants and a top, shorts and a top or capris and a top. If it's cool, a sweater or light jacket. Flat shoes that I can walk in (up and down stairs) and be able to carry my heavy tote bag.

I'm with Langley Cruisers with my thought on a skirt or dress. I've not worn one, because I've seen too many women trying to hold down them down in the wind. I've also seen too many people trying to hold onto their hats as well. Bike shorts, to me, defeats the whole purpose of wearing a skirt/dress. If I wear a sundress (on port days only), I want the breeze to blow through. Perhaps if it were cold it would be fine.

No dress, no skirt! I learned that the hard way; could not enjoy one of my sailaways because I was too busy trying to hold my hem down! Bad choice that day. :(

Darn, I never thought about that. Usually wear capris and a nice shirt but was actually going to wear a sundress the first day. There have been a couple cruises where we did not receive our luggage until after dinner. Now I am not sure what I will wear. Maybe it won't be windy that day.

Darn, I never thought about that. Usually wear capris and a nice shirt but was actually going to wear a sundress the first day. There have been a couple cruises where we did not receive our luggage until after dinner. Now I am not sure what I will wear. Maybe it won't be windy that day.

It doesn't matter if it's windy that day, out on deck when the ship is moving a wind can kick up any time. Add to that, doors opening with great gusts of wind.

I'll wear a cover up dress over a bathing suit, save the other dresses for evening when you aren't outside or port days off the ship.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I dress cool year round. On my first cruise I wore jeans and a cute shirt, on my second cruise I wore a maxi dress, and on this cruise it's either going to be a maxi dress or linen pants.

If sailing out of FLL, I wear for sailaway what I wore to board and that is usually capri pants with nice jersey/top and sandals. If it happens to be raining, I would wear slacks and a jersey/top with ballet flats.

I never knew I was supposed to have a "sail away" outfit!!! I usually wear something that I already have. Never do anything special. It'll most likely be either one of my pairs of pants or shorts (depending on location), and a casual shirt or layered sweater (depending on vacation)...

I never knew I was supposed to have a "sail away" outfit!!! I usually wear something that I already have. Never do anything special. It'll most likely be either one of my pairs of pants or shorts (depending on location), and a casual shirt or layered sweater (depending on vacation)...

Hi:) you don't "need" to have a "sailaway" outfit. I think some gals just

enjoy buying something new for their cruises and have fun doing it:D

I enjoy buying new things sometimes but have learned over the years

since I live in Florida I defintely try to buy things I can wear at home

as well.;).....sometimes it is fun to buy some new stuff though. I have

recently purchased some cute new tops and I am in a debate (with

myself) about which one to wear for Sailaway......:D

eenie meenie......LOL

I don't buy anything new for sailaway, I just pick out what is the most comfortable for me to wear. So far, I've always had to fly in the day before and with a couple exceptions, changed into shorts and a t-shirt for embarkation (I never fly wearing shorts). The other times, I was sailing in December, so I wore my jeans and a nice Mexican shirt. I'll be drinking, partying, and having fun and so comfort is the driving force in my choice of what to wear that day.

This November, we'll by flying in the day of the cruise, but it probably will be cool enough in Los Angeles to just wear what I fly in (jeans and t-shirt).

I'm going to wear a cute little 50's style dress, the bottom is pencil skirtish so it wont fly up :-D Last time I was exhausted and my mom was rushing me to the port so I wore a black shirt and khaki shorts. The picture was horrible lol

Archived