Tahitian Breeze Tendering Issue

TERRIER1

We are on the April 7th Tahitian breeze cruise. It has been brought to our attention from a fellow CC passenger who was on the February cruise that "the tendering situation was sometimes bad for "independent guests". O called their own shore excursions first. In one port, we arrived late due to a pilot boat issue. The first tenders left at 1:30 p.m. Some guests were still waiting for tenders at 3:30 p.m. (and all aboard was at 6:30!). My only tip is to get to the Marina Lounge even earlier than you think to get early tender tickets. We were there 45 mins before we anchored and had to wait until the 4th tender."

The Marina only used two tenders for the whole ship. I would have thought that more tenders would have been used for a ship this size. We were advised to be proactive and raise the issue of # of tenders and preferential loading of O's shore excursions with GM Damien Lacroix and Destinations Mgr Emilie. Does anyone out there know how to contact these folks? We never done anything like this before. Thanks.

Personally, I think tendering should always begin with a minimum of 3 tenders and 4 is even better if conditions permit, once the majority of the folks are tendered then go to 2 tenders to ferry people back and forth. Starting with only 2 tenders makes no sense, there should always be one tender loading initially to get maximum numbers moved in minimum amounts of time.

This was one of the very few complaints I had on Marina last year in the Caribbean, a very inefficient strategy for tendering. It honestly isn't brain surgery.

From years of observation from every line up to and including yeaterday at our local pier in Kona.

As fair warning, most all south and central pacific ports using tenders are small, limited landings, can be tide restricted and pretty primitave in nature. Hawaii in not the exception as it the pier on Kona can only handle about 2 to 3 tenders per hour. ( as Hondoner experienced yesterday. Ship arrives: 0800, first tender 0840, second tender 0920)

When in tender ports... pay for the ships tours as insurance to enjoy the experience. You paid $$$ for the cruise for a for a few more bucks why not insure your pleasure. Seems to me pennywise and pound foolish to risk it. Your call however.

When in port... go for the independent as it takes no time ( however I have seen non-tour passengers restricted from using the gangways untill tours are off.

Part of the alure to the South Pacific is its "semi rural/ primitve nature"

It isnt Ft Lauderdale or Maimi.

Some of us, myself included, don't go to lay on a beach. We have excursions booked and times to respect. I think the concern is that an hour or 2 delay makes a big impact in the tour schedule & the tour operator might be less than receptive to this. With most ports the popular tours are sold out months in advance..times & schedules are agreed upon. I know from experience that we leave room for some delays when booking but what has been described in FP is a concern. Many of us do not like to "wing it" at each port....so am I to hope that O will work out the tender issues?

From numerous Tahitian, Marqusean , Tumotouan and Cook island experiences here is my experience

Tahiti....No problem as it is a pier , actualy several located in down town

Cooks Bay Moorea: Tender, has one very small wharf that can only take 1 tender at a time. and the approach is about 15 min. Through a very tight and shallow channel in the reef. back ups of 15 to 20 min normal. The island being so small that delays are no big thing and tours leave several times a day

limited taxi access, not central to anythng a a long walk.

Bora Bora: Tender, used to be just the old navy pier but recently they built a marina to receive ships tenders up to 5 at a time. There are too a floatilla of excursion boats so you can totaly wing it as everybody pretty much does the same tours... This is the St Thomas of Tahiti and has a huge visitor reception center.... 15 min run flat water 99.9%

Rorotonga: Commercial wharf that receives 2 tenders at a time from deep water anchorage 5 min run. Lots of taxis, but few tours.

Nuka Hiva: deep water tender port, with sheltered 10 min run to a wall developed wharf that can receive 2 tenders at a time. No taxis. this is a walking port and private, non ships tours dont exist per se

Rangaroa: Deep water to a shallow pert that can receive up to 2 tenders at a time. You have a choice north side of south side. there isnt much no taxis... ship tour place

CHRISTMAS Island: shallow channel entry from deep water anchorage tides can prevent tenders from clearing the pass in the reef. Wharf is ols ww2 falling down pipes and wood decking... lots of missing boards. No Taxi walking port

Pago Pago: Commercial whaf "down town" in a little fishing town no problem

Apia: commercial wharf no problem few taxi. ship tours the best or walk around...long walk to anywhere

if you need more ask.

As stated ALL except Bora and Papteete are very rural and small. The sort you might find at a old marina that had fallen into a sad state.

Tour operators ( read anyone with a car, wagon or boat) are flexable and very laid back... maybe too much so. Schedules and times are here all relative values not well suited to fast paced people. Mornings means some time before noon...

These people dont do well on schedules and make them up on the fly. Respect that and be fine... your here for a reason... enjoy the molment do not try to control it of face reality:cool:

It's just wrong, all guest should be treated the same. Just because your a independent guest shouldn't make you wait to get off the ship just because you aren't one of the "O's" excursion guest. All guest should have the same right period in getting off at a port.

Rick

There appear to be two problems here:

1. Marina running only 2 shuttles when they can conceivably run 4 given the information Hawaiian Dan gave

2. Preferential treatment for O excursions

Is the Marina too big a ship to cruise areas that have tender intensive ports?

There appear to be two problems here:

1. Marina running only 2 shuttles when they can conceivably run 4 given the information Hawaiian Dan gave

2. Preferential treatment for O excursions

Is the Marina too big a ship to cruise areas that have tender intensive ports?

I'm sorry, but having cruised on the PG 4 times, running two tenders for 1200 people seems ridiculous to me.

As for preferential treatment for ship-sponsored excursions, that's pretty universal on the cruises I've been on.

Yes, FP is very laid-back, but still.

We had a problem with preferential tendering for ship sponsored shore excursions on the Nautica last May. The situation was so bad that it appeared that the independent travelers, waiting to meet private guides, would never get off the ship.

I voiced my displeasure and was assured that it is NOT Oceania's policy to let independent travelers tender last. It may not be the official policy, but from reading these boards it sure seems to be the practice. I hope that the powers that be are reading these posts and make sure that the folks orchestrating the tenders implement the policy that does not punish independent travelers.

I agree that independent travelers shouldn't be penalized for making their own arrangements. Some people are just more experienced travelers and have a greater comfort level in doing things on their own or with private guides. The treatment of independent travelers is one reason we have cut back on our cruising.

Terrier 1 - please post what you find about the contacts to voice our displeasure over this issue and/or to include us as two more passengers who don't want to see this happen.

And beyond that, some of us refuse to pay the ridiculous prices that Oceania charges for shore excursions for the privilege of traveling with an intimate group of 50 on a big bus LOL

On a separate note, let me add that one of the many reasons to sail the PG in French Polynesia (and not O or Pirncess) is the fact that with only 300+ passengers tendering is less of a problem --- there is nothing like the PG (just ask Wendy -- she has sailed her multiple times).

I am getting very apprehensive about our choice of Marina for our FP cruise.

I hope O has time to address the tenders & independent tour pax before our next cruise...With all the time, effort and money we invest in our cruises I seriously hate to have such a concern looming, especially when something can be done about it.

I'm sorry, but having cruised on the PG 4 times, running two tenders for 1200 people seems ridiculous to me.

As for preferential treatment for ship-sponsored excursions, that's pretty universal on the cruises I've been on.

Yes, FP is very laid-back, but still.

And beyond that, some of us refuse to pay the ridiculous prices that Oceania charges for shore excursions for the privilege of traveling with an intimate group of 50 on a big bus LOL

On a separate note, let me add that one of the many reasons to sail the PG in French Polynesia (and not O or Pirncess) is the fact that with only 300+ passengers tendering is less of a problem --- there is nothing like the PG (just ask Wendy -- she has sailed her multiple times).

We too have been on the PG more than once (one time with Wendy!) and have to say that a smaller ship is the best way to see FP. Easier tendering, less impact on the islands and atolls (which are only little in both size, population, and infrastructure) when 300+ vs 1200 pax come to visit. Easier find an independent excursion which is cheaper and has fewer people on it.

BTW, what IS up with O's ridiculous crazy high excursion prices???

Hi guys,

Just got off the ship after 34 unbelievably fantastic days. As far as the Isle Isle of Pines tendering story was concerned, we did have to go back to Numea to drop off the pilot, which cut the trip short, but everyone got their snorkling and beach time for the day.and ship excursions did not affect the tendering as there were NO excursions at that port. When we did have to do tenders, they made it a point to mix up the people taking excursions and those that did not, thus causing delays in Oceania excursions as well as some people having to wait for a tender as they came late and didn't want to wait around for their turn.

If you are not on an excursion on a tendering day, yes, you should go early as there are lots of people who want to go ashore, and with sometimes rough seas, it doesn't always go as quickly as they or we would like.

I just want to make the point that the staff did everything they could to be fair to all passengers, so if someone wants to tell a story simply as a complaint for not getting a discount etc, tell it correctly.

Terrier 1 - please post what you find about the contacts to voice our displeasure over this issue and/or to include us as two more passengers who don't want to see this happen.

I posted an email to customer service but have not heard back from them so I have no direct contact. I never had cause to contact management before so I am new at this.

Hi guys,

Just got off the ship after 34 unbelievably fantastic days. As far as the Isle Isle of Pines tendering story was concerned, we did have to go back to Numea to drop off the pilot, which cut the trip short, but everyone got their snorkling and beach time for the day.and ship excursions did not affect the tendering as there were NO excursions at that port. When we did have to do tenders, they made it a point to mix up the people taking excursions and those that did not, thus causing delays in Oceania excursions as well as some people having to wait for a tender as they came late and didn't want to wait around for their turn.

If you are not on an excursion on a tendering day, yes, you should go early as there are lots of people who want to go ashore, and with sometimes rough seas, it doesn't always go as quickly as they or we would like.

I just want to make the point that the staff did everything they could to be fair to all passengers, so if someone wants to tell a story simply as a complaint for not getting a discount etc, tell it correctly.

Thanks Westmount for your input. This will be our 6th O cruise and our 3rd on the larger ships. We have never experienced any problems tendering on the smaller R ships. When we are not on an excursion we mosey off the ship later and do not run into problems because of the lateness.

However, there was a problem on the Riviera last year in Motril. Due to high winds and difficulty securing the gangplank (no tendering) to the dock the ship was late disembarking passengers. Weather cannot be controlled and everyone (I hope) understands.

There was a mob scene waiting to get off the ship due to the lateness and tour buses waiting. This is the port for where everyone takes excursions to Granada to visit the wonderful Alhambra. There were 6 O excursion buses. We were able to disembark but apparently the Cruise Director made an announcement after we got off the ship for people to go back to their cabins until they were called in order to alleviate the crowding to disembark. There were people on our private tour that missed the excursion because of this. We had to be back to the ship by 5:30 pm so the day was rushed in order to make it back to the ship on time. However, all of the O excursions were given extra time to make up the difference due to the late start. The ship sailed an hour late to accommodate the O groups which were called.

There must of been a lot people majorly pissed off people since the next day all of the independent travelers were let off the ship first.

I wasn't on your cruise so I only had the one input to go by but I have personally experienced preferentially treatment to O excursions first hand but only on the larger ships so I do have a concern since we are on the Marina.

I do appreciate your view. Thanks.

We are on the April 7th Tahitian breeze cruise. It has been brought to our attention from a fellow CC passenger who was on the February cruise that "the tendering situation was sometimes bad for "independent guests". O called their own shore excursions first. In one port, we arrived late due to a pilot boat issue. The first tenders left at 1:30 p.m. Some guests were still waiting for tenders at 3:30 p.m. (and all aboard was at 6:30!). My only tip is to get to the Marina Lounge even earlier than you think to get early tender tickets. We were there 45 mins before we anchored and had to wait until the 4th tender."

The Marina only used two tenders for the whole ship. I would have thought that more tenders would have been used for a ship this size. We were advised to be proactive and raise the issue of # of tenders and preferential loading of O's shore excursions with GM Damien Lacroix and Destinations Mgr Emilie. Does anyone out there know how to contact these folks? We never done anything like this before. Thanks.

Hi Terrier,

I was on the Jan 27 Tahitian Breeze cruise and we had more than one private tour booked. We never had a problem with getting a tender and only ever had to wait a couple of minutes. This was both in the morning and the return. I remember seeing a line once for the return and there still was lots of time before the ship left. Did your cc connection experience this more than once? We were worried before the trip that we would have trouble getting to our 9 am morning tours and it was never a problem. We walked into the theatre were given a color ticket and only ever had to wait a few minutes.

Cheers,

Tropiclady

Hi Terrier,

I was on the Jan 27 Tahitian Breeze cruise and we had more than one private tour booked. We never had a problem with getting a tender and only ever had to wait a couple of minutes. This was both in the morning and the return. I remember seeing a line once for the return and there still was lots of time before the ship left. Did your cc connection experience this more than once? We were worried before the trip that we would have trouble getting to our 9 am morning tours and it was never a problem. We walked into the theatre were given a color ticket and only ever had to wait a few minutes.

Cheers,

Tropiclady

Thanks so much for the confirmation. The CC connection did not state if the problem occurred more than once.

Thanks so much for the confirmation. The CC connection did not state if the problem occurred more than once.

Gld to help! If you have any questions at all, I would be happy to answer. It was a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Warm regards,

Tropiclady

Sorry guys for being abrupt, but I watched the entire staff try their hardest to make people happy, and I simply will not tolerate those that "threaten" staff members with canceled future trips or other trivial negotiations due to situations out of anyone's control. I watched a group of 8 work Thomas in the executive lounge over the Numea return to bring the pilot back, and while watching the theatrics over their future private tour inconveniences was rather amusing, it makes us passengers look like cheap idiots, and it simply belittles the process.

We did get to the Bay of Islands after noon, and it did make it for a rush canoe trip for many and some antsy wait times for tendering, but but but, no one was going anywhere important, everyone was being polite and fair, we're on vacation in the South Pacific, so I just hate when passengers make us all look stupid and then write on cruise critic to juice up their story to get even.

I guess its time to book the next cruise, we've been on land almost 36 hours now.

I agree that independent travelers shouldn't be penalized for making their own arrangements. Some people are just more experienced travelers and have a greater comfort level in doing things on their own or with private guides. The treatment of independent travelers is one reason we have cut back on our cruising.

It might slip by that Oceania is in fact a business which we as customers choose to enjoy. Just as passengers pay more for more perks like concierige,more guarr. dining res, larger cabins, butlers, in room meals etc. I dont see it overt that passengers who pay extra for Oceania are given special consideration. They paid extra for that ...I did not.

The ship is not a commune. The guy who paid 10K more than me deserves better treatment more perks or what ever ...I know I would.

I take independent tours and understand the problems and logistics the ship faces in getting off and returning large bunches of people. I get a benifit from creating my own tours but realize I am vastly more flexable than the large tours. I plan to be off later, I plan on later flights from the airport. I write in plan B and even plan C's..

There are lots of reasons for limiting tendering.. some ports require it so at to limit impact on the bay, port and wild life. Some limit it with the hope of leverage for the local boats to be used (christmas island and fanning)

In our age of high speed this and space age that we may tend to forget that the vast majority of the world does not work on the same level of intensity and sence of urgency. Its very easy thus to create problems for ourselves when others fail to comply with our wants. :rolleyes:

Having to wait an extra hour or two here or there...how is that going to affect the rest of your life, really?

To reiteriate...the South Pacific is a place to be taken slowly like a fine wine. Nowhere is so complex nor large that you need to feel any sence of urgency.... take time to smell the Plumeria.

Hello all. I received a response from Oceania regarding the tendering issue. This is the response.

"When we tendered it is somewhat true that tours get priority, but we do not FILL up the tenders with only Shore Excursion guests. We will put 2-3 coaches on there and the remaining 10-20 seats are given to independents who are required to collect a tender ticket from the lounge when they are ready to go ashore. These seats are available on every tender, but yes waiting time can occur if it is an afternoon arrival and everyone wants to go ashore at the same time."

One reason it pays to get a PH or Concierge cabin = it is one of the unpublicized advantages to get an early tender for a private shore excursion.

If that is true, it is a very well-guarded secret. I was unaware of it after a dozen cruises in PH or concierge.

Archived