Dubrovnik City Wall

Dubrovniktravellady

Thanks for the update. Do you know if they have any issue in taking a credit card that does NOT have a chip?

and secondly, just did the conversion - that works out to be rather expensive (US$ 15) for walking the walls.....are there any discounts available?

Dubrovniktravellady

Thanks for the update. Do you know if they have any issue in taking a credit card that does NOT have a chip?

and secondly, just did the conversion - that works out to be rather expensive (US$ 15) for walking the walls.....are there any discounts available?

There are no discounts, that is the price for adults. The money from the wall is, of course, for payroll for the many employees, but also for the maintenance and for the restoration of the old town. Every winter is spent making repairs to the wall due to the vast amount of traffic up there during the season.

There are no problems with a no chip credit card, debit cards also work.

Sorry you feel the price is expensive, I believe it is a fair price for a 2 hour trip. If the price is not within your budget, then perhaps a stroll around the old town may be best.

Do enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady: Thanks for the update. We will be "walking the walls" in May, and look forward to our visit.

Your welcome, trying to keep guests updated with the current fees. Please remember, even in May, take your own water, a sun hat, sun screen and shoes with radial tires on the bottom. The walk is lovely, take your time and enjoy the views of the old town rooftops and our azure Adriatic sea. Begin to plan your land trip up there, think of the joys of spending time in our breathtaking Dalmatian coast.

Enjoy your time here.

This year the entrance fee to walk the city wall is now 90 Kuna per person, payable only with Croatian Kuna or credit card. NO foreign currency is accepted.

Thank you for posting this. What is the price for a child under 18(13 to be exact)? We'll be there in May!

Our itinerary shows we dock in Dubrovnik and we are there from 2:00pm until 9:00pm. What is the best way to get from the port to the wall and old town? Can we just walk off the ship and walk to them?

Thanks for all your help.

Lynn

Our itinerary shows we dock in Dubrovnik and we are there from 2:00pm until 9:00pm. What is the best way to get from the port to the wall and old town? Can we just walk off the ship and walk to them?

Lynn

Sure if you want to waste an hour going uphill via some uninteresting parts of our town. You may want to check with your ship if they are offering a shuttle bus to the old historical part of town, it is about a 15 minute trip. You can also take a taxi as many will be waiting at the dock to transport guests, about a 10 minute trip and a cost of 75 Kuna or 10 Euros.

Perhaps downloading the tourist bureau map may help you get your bearings.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Lynn

I would never want to attempt to supercede Dubroviktravellady, but just to weigh in...my wife and I were there last August. We grabbed a city bus at the port (bought a round trip ticket of some sort) that was reasonably priced and ran frequently. We took this same bus back. We waited a bit to get a bus back, because everyone was leaving at the same time...but we made it with plenty of time. The stop before the port (on your way back) is right near a huge grocery store, if you need to stock up on stuff. Then it's about a brisk 5 minute walk to the port.

The wall is WORTH IT. Don't even hesitate. The views and photo ops are STUNNING!!

This helps me a lot. I hope this isn't an ignorant question, but are the lines long to pay to walk the walls? Is there an online site for pre purchase?

When we were there last summer there was no wait. That said, we came in from the Old Port and entered the wall at the Monastery entrance. If there is a long line it might be worth walking the five minutes down the Stradum to the other end of the City and enter through one of the entry points.

This helps me a lot. I hope this isn't an ignorant question, but are the lines long to pay to walk the walls? Is there an online site for pre purchase?

Yes there is often a very long line to buy tickets, depends on the month and how many cruise ships arrive at the same time. No you cannot buy tickets online, just in the town.

Please remember there are no ignorant questions, I will respond to all. There are however many questions repeated over and over and over because people do not want to invest time in reading the very long thread for Dubrovnik questions.

I would never want to attempt to supercede Dubroviktravellady, but just to weigh in...my wife and I were there last August. We grabbed a city bus at the port (bought a round trip ticket of some sort) that was reasonably priced and ran frequently. We took this same bus back. We waited a bit to get a bus back, because everyone was leaving at the same time...but we made it with plenty of time. The stop before the port (on your way back) is right near a huge grocery store, if you need to stock up on stuff. Then it's about a brisk 5 minute walk to the port.

The wall is WORTH IT. Don't even hesitate. The views and photo ops are STUNNING!!

Please do not hesitate weigh in, I enjoy the responses here very much. It is my very early morning first coffee ritual to open cruise critic. That being said, it is true one can take our local bus for 15 Kuna, but it is time wasted as the trip takes longer since they stop so often. Bus tickets are always round trip,one small problem is they are only valid for one hour = 2 passengers - 60 Kuna round trip, a cab is only 75 Kuna and not a big savings. I prefer to always recommend spending time in our historical center, the old part of town.

When we were there last summer there was no wait. That said, we came in from the Old Port and entered the wall at the Monastery entrance. If there is a long line it might be worth walking the five minutes down the Stradum to the other end of the City and enter through one of the entry points.

That is true, there are 3 entrances to the wall. However since the wall is walked counter clockwise, one must decide if they are up to doing the entire circuit. I always prefer the sea side with the most spectacular views, thus the main entrance is my best choice. Arrivals in July, August & September often have long lines, moving slowly if guests do not have Croatian Kuna or do not want to use their credit cards.

There are no discounts, that is the price for adults. The money from the wall is, of course, for payroll for the many employees, but also for the maintenance and for the restoration of the old town. Every winter is spent making repairs to the wall due to the vast amount of traffic up there during the season.

There are no problems with a no chip credit card, debit cards also work.

Sorry you feel the price is expensive, I believe it is a fair price for a 2 hour trip. If the price is not within your budget, then perhaps a stroll around the old town may be best.

Do enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

I am confused by your answer. I thought the wall encloses the old town. :confused: If so, how does visiting it save money? I thought one paid to go into it and tour the wall.

I am confused by your answer. I thought the wall encloses the old town. :confused: If so, how does visiting it save money? I thought one paid to go into it and tour the wall.

I guess both of us are confused as I also do not understand your post. My answer was in response to a post which inquired about the city wall entrance fee, if there were any discounts available. There is no fee to enter the old part of town, but an entrance fee of 90 Kuna to walk the wall. Yes indeed the old part of town is enclosed by the wall.

Hope this clarifies your questions.

This year the entrance fee to walk the city wall is now 90 Kuna per person, payable only with Croatian Kuna or credit card. NO foreign currency is accepted.

We are a party of 6 - one of which has limited walking ability and are interested in seeing as much as possible. I am a little confused with the wall and the old city - are they one in the same? Can we get up to the top without walking the steps and do you advise a private tour rather than us doing it on our own. Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.

My girlfriend and I will be there on May 6th from 9am to 6pm with Carnival. We have been looking at the excursions offered by Carnival, but nothing sounds as good to us as just walking around on the wall and exploring the old city. I read that you said it takes 2 hours to walk the wall. What else do you suggest that we should look into doing? Mostly we are interested in old buildings, amazing views and just about anything unique to that part of the world. Food, shopping and beaches are not a priority for us.

Thank you for the link to the maps. I printed them out and really appreciate having them!!!

Eddie

We are a party of 6 - one of which has limited walking ability and are interested in seeing as much as possible. I am a little confused with the wall and the old city - are they one in the same? Can we get up to the top without walking the steps and do you advise a private tour rather than us doing it on our own. Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions.

The old part of town is located within the city wall. Doubt that you can do the wall walk as it is 2 kilometers long, a total of 1080 and 87 just to reach the top. You may want to research a private panorama drive tour, very little walking. Here is a download to our town map.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Archived