CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

From CCL facebook:

"We know there have been questions on the conditions onboard Carnival Dream last night and wanted to update you. We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning."

THAT'S the communication they're worried about?

GOOD GRIEF!

From Carnival:

We know there have been questions on the conditions onboard Carnival Dream last night and wanted to update you. We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Sounds like PR BS to me to try and repair their already ruined public image. Read between the lines and notice they chose their words carefully. The truth will come out when people get back to the US with pics and video. I find it hard to believe only ONE stateroom bathroom on the whole ship had problems. The system doesn't work that way.

You are correct that the truth will come out. Which is precisely why this does not smack of PR BS. Why would Carnival lie so blatantly about something that can be so easily verified empirically? Setting themselves up to be caught in an obvious lie would be the worst possible move. If one is going to publish information such as this, it has to be checked and double-checked first. At this point, I have no reason to disbelieve the press release.

Also, I know they are flying people home but what happens to people that do not have passports?

I read in an article about the people on the Costa Concordia and how they all flew home without passports because of the special circumstances. And, they all HAD passports but they where on the sunken ship.

I have noticed some of the same people who do not sail with Carnival but still want to put in their negative 2 cents worth are showing up here again. If you have no dog in the right why are you here except to stir up trouble?

Sorry, but Carnival is stirring up their own trouble, not the posters on this site. Second, this is cruise news and anyone who wants to comment on the matter is welcome to. And are you on this ship right now? No? Then, according to you, what dog do you have in this fight allowing you to comment?

I am sorry but you are mistaken. Cubans are allowed to flee their country and gain U.S. Residency after one year. They do not have passports from Cuba or intentions of returning. They are not allowed to declare U.S. Citizenship until 5 years of residency. So technically, they have U.S. Resident Status but not U.S. Citizenship from here nor their country.

If I'm not mistaken, they are also not allowed to leave the US during that time.

Nobody should cruise again because of what happened on the Triumph? Seriously? Is that logical? How many cruises a week go out and people have a flawless vacation. One cruise has a problem, so CNN implys that people shouldn't take a cruise. Absolute nonsense!

Nobody? Who said that?

According to Carnival the problem was with the emergency backup generator, which was discovered during routine maintenance. They are not allowed to sail because of safety regulations concerning this equipment. They now have 9 days to fix it and sail back to Port Canaveral.

We are sailing on the 23rd on the Dream and at this point I am not worried. if the ship is still in St. Martin by the middle of next week then I will be worried.

I know they have already cancelled this Saturdays upcoming cruise and my heart aches for those passengers. Does Anyone with knowledge know how long it could take to fix or replace a backup generator? I am suppose to cruise on the dream in 16 days and I really hope they have it fixed - correctly - by then.

Incidents_zps89f6007e.png

Tried to add labels... Pie charts are pretty awful, but it looks as though CCL's accidents based on this are inline with its share of the market... The big problem is it doesn't take into account the real size of the incident... I believe (not gonna test this hypothesis as my access to data and how to classify an incident as large/small is limited) the number of large incidents is quite disproportional.

As for this incident, it seems pretty well handled with the exception of communication with those onboard. CCL seems to have been sticking to their safety promise and tried testing the backup while in port. Much better than learning it was gonna fail when needed at sea.

Poor Gary Cahill can't catch a break. Just two days ago he made a comprehensive, transparent, and serious statement about what CCL was doing to address the issue of safety on its ships, and now this thing with the Dream happens.

http://carnival-news.com/2013/03/12/carnival-cruise-lines-president-and-ceo-gerry-cahill-comments-on-carnival-triumph-from-cruise-shipping-miami-2013/

So what we've done is start a comprehensive review of our entire fleet and that review focuses on four things:

First, looking at prevention, detection and suppression of fires.

Second, engine room redundancies.

Third, what additional hotel facilities might be provided and might run off the emergency generators.

And then fourth, the changes we can make from the first three items and how we implement those.

Now, I can assure you since this fire has occurred it has been the number one priority for both Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corporation. We have a number of experts from a lot of different disciplines involved in the process of performing this review, including experts in fire safety; naval architects, marine engineers, electrical engineers, and mechanical engineers.

We have people, from within the Carnival Cruise Lines organization, from Carnival Corporation, as well as our sister brands involved. In addition we have pulled in experts from shipyards, engine manufacturers, electrical machinery equipment manufacturers and class society.

I wonder if the test that they ran that caused the problem with the Dream was precipitated by the changes they are trying to implement. How ironic if that was the case.

What gall, MissKIA.

They rearranged their life and work schedule, paid for a FULL CRUISE, and what will be by far the overriding memory of it? IT WAS THE CRUISE THAT BROKE DOWN AND STRANDED US.

They didn't get even NEAR what they bargained for, yet you begrudge them a refund? What gall, MissKIA.

LOL Seriously? Um they are not stranded? They are spending an extra day tropical paradise and having chartered flights coming to take them back home. They got the majority of their vacation, and they are being refunded for the portion they missed. I never begrudged them a refund, I begrudged them a refund for what they already received (along with many many other people on this thread)

I'm not defending Carnival at all, in fact I am seriously hesitating to take my future cruise with them to Hawaii, but I believe Carnival is being very fair with their compensation. The passengers are being taken care of. This is NOT a repeat of Triumph. These people are NOT suffering. Disappointed, YES, suffering, NO. I feel worse for the people who were supposed to cruise this Saturday who will be missing out on their entire cruise.

The gimme gimme gimme attitude of some who think they should be given the world whenever something goes wrong is a huge part of what is wrong with society today.

Sorry but it looks like the Passport issue is a non-issue.

As per John Healds Facebook post:

Some of you have been asking about passports and concerened about family members who traveled on the Carnival Dream without them. Let me assure you that we are currently interfacing with St. Maarten and U.S. authorities to work through that and do not anticipate any issues with guests re-entering the U.S. who do not have passports.

Thanks

It's not accurate. The reason the Triumph was towed to Mobile is that by the time the tugboats arrived the ship had drifted north, and taking into account the current, wind, and speed of the tugs, Mobile was the closest port. The logistical and passport simplification was a nice bonus but not the primary reason for the decision.

Cahill specifically mentioned the lack of passports for about 900 people in one of the press releases on the Triumph. It might not have been the #1 reason, but it certainly factored into the equation.

Isn't there a waiver of some sort required to board since a passport is required for international air travel? Or does that never apply to charter flights?

The only reason you need a passport to board a flight is because if you are refused entry at your destination, the carrier is the one financially responsible for repatriating you. It's to their benefit, it has nothing to do with INS or CBP.

I read in an article about the people on the Costa Concordia and how they all flew home without passports because of the special circumstances. And, they all HAD passports but they where on the sunken ship.

Not true, there are first hand reports on these boards about problems and delays getting passports before people could fly homw.

Well, you know it won't EVER be good enough for some of them who will be out to get every single penny or advantage that they can.

Partial refund and 50% off the next cruise for this little inconvenience....great job, Carnival!

And, while we're talking - they were "damned" for not cancelling the Triumph sailings and now they're being proactive about a problem and they're "damned" for that too.

REALLY? I've been on more cruises than flights in my lifetime and have had delayed and cancelled flights on more than 70% of them....and spent the time on uncomfortable chairs in an airport. Three delays on cruises - luxury accommodations and food.

Guess I've been lucky - still would rather be on the sea with a mechanical problem than in the air....

LOL Seriously? Um they are not stranded? They are spending an extra day tropical paradise and having chartered flights coming to take them back home. They got the majority of their vacation, and they are being refunded for the portion they missed. I never begrudged them a refund, I begrudged them a refund for what they already received (along with many many other people on this thread)

I'm not defending Carnival at all, in fact I am seriously hesitating to take my future cruise with them to Hawaii, but I believe Carnival is being very fair with their compensation. The passengers are being taken care of. This is NOT a repeat of Triumph. These people are NOT suffering. Disappointed, YES, suffering, NO. I feel worse for the people who were supposed to cruise this Saturday who will be missing out on their entire cruise.

The gimme gimme gimme attitude of some who think they should be given the world whenever something goes wrong is a huge part of what is wrong with society today.

They are not allowed off the ship...paradise?? Many will arrive back in Florida and have find a hotel to stay in until they can get a flight out, or until they can use the reservations they already have. Who do you think is going to have to pay for all that? Gosh, wake up!

Actually departing flights at Maho back up right to the fence by the water and take off straight at the mountain ahead of them. (this is where the morons stand to get knocked across the street by the jetwash)

Almost as awesome as watching the planes land over the beach.

Sorry, you're right. That's the one where they make a really hard starboard bank at about 5000 feet--right?

Now we get to see how the passport vs birth certificate scenario plays out.

What will Carnival do to expedite ICE processing for those flying back w/o passports?

I never saw one passport issue with the returning Triumph passengers amidst all the doom and gloom, but JH has alreay posted they are taking care of it for the passengers.

Should it not be the place of passengers on this sailing to decide if the partial refund is inadequate? Just wondering.

Yes...but really....what more does anyone want them to do?

3 days refunded and Carnival is making all the arrangements to get them home ASAP....feel more sorry for the ones on the sailing that has been cancelled on Saturday.:)

LOL Seriously? Um they are not stranded? They are spending an extra day tropical paradise and having chartered flights coming to take them back home........

They got the majority of their vacation, and they are being refunded for the portion they missed. I never begrudged them a refund, I begrudged them a refund for what they already received (along with many many other people on this thread)

I'm not defending Carnival at all....

So when is "Spending and extra day, not partying , but WAITING for a flight NOT stranded? Then there "may" be a passport issue causes more delays.

Majority of their vacation? So what do they do with the other part? Does their employers REFUND their vacation days they took? Answer: NO. Its wasted.

So, you are "not defending Carnival at all" Gimmie a break!

We are on 3/23 sailing as well. Just talked to a very helpful rep at Carnival to ask her our options and she said as of right now, only 3/16 cancelled and to keep an eye on email as we would get notified ASAP if they thought the 3/23 may be affected. Hope that's true. I want to make other back-up arrangements ASAP! :(

Start making refundable back-up plans. Between now and 4/7 are one of the busiest travel times of the year, alot of schools are closed for Easter, Passover and the normal March Spring Break. Everything is either booked solid or you may find last minute cancellations somewhere.

Archived