CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

You need to a reasonable here. What are the chances that one of the passengers that left the US on this cruise is either abducted or in cahoots with someone in St. Maarten. just so a fake Birth Certificate and Picture ID can be created and then this other person can enter the US instead of the original passenger.

Or, perhaps this is a bigger conspiracy to to smuggle hundreds of people into the US with faked documents and strand the real passengers in St. Maarten forever.:eek:

I'm concerned that the laws of the United States are being circumvented. Those people should be subject to additional screening at the border, not a simple walk off the plane. That's all I'm saying.

And I said the Easter Bunny does not require a passport either for someone to get on a flight originating out of the US bound for here.

My point, and others' points were addressing your comment that you do not need a passport to get on a flight bound for the US but you will need one when you get here, which is absurd. You will need a passport to get on the flight. You will not get on the flight without one.

Comprendo?

For people getting on a commercial flight I agree. For people getting on a charter, you are wrong.

BTW, below is your exact statement in its entirety, nothing added, nothing taken away:

:::head smack::: They don't need a passport to board the flight.

And I stand by that. They don't need a passport to board a CHARTER FLIGHT.

I'm concerned that the laws of the United States are being circumvented. Those people should be subject to additional screening at the border, not a simple walk off the plane. That's all I'm saying.

I agree then. I am sure they will have documentation checked against the passenger manifest, and they will still go through Customs the same as they would have when they returned from the cruise.

I don't think this has been mentioned.

I know some people that under no circumstances will they get on an airplane.

Wondering if there are any like that on this cruise.

I don't fly. I understand the possibility that I may have to fly when I go on a cruise. I'll save the spazzout for when it actually happens.

For people getting on a commercial flight I agree. For people getting on a charter, you are wrong.

I NEVER mentioned charter. And I specifically stated COMMERCIAL.

When you find yourself in a hole you wish not to be in, stop digging.

Someone mentioned earlier those who can't fly due to medical conditions. I imagine they will probably be founds berths back to Florida on another CCL cruise and then transported to PC by ground. Those who are simply afraid to fly I think will be out of luck. Get on the plane or find their own way home.

And I said the Easter Bunny does not require a passport either for someone to get on a flight originating out of the US bound for here.

My point, and others' points were addressing your comment that you do not need a passport to get on a flight bound for the US but you will need one when you get here, which is absurd. You will need a passport to get on the flight. You will not get on the flight without one.

Comprendo?

For the most part, ducklite is correct: you don't need a passport to get on the plane, you need the passport to enter the destination country. The airlines require that you show you have one before you are allowed on them so that there is the higher probability of passing through immigration at the destination. Some countries require the transportation carrier to verify this, as the carrier will be responsible for returning the pax to the country of origin.

Also note that the airline personnel are not agents of the destination country, so having shown a passport to the in no way means you will be allowed to enter the destination country.

Huh? Let me spell it out for you again.

If you get on a commercial plane in a foreign country to fly to the US, you will need to show your passport to the carrier prior to boarding. This is not an INS or CBP rule, this is the carriers rule.

When you land, you will process through INS and CBP with your passport.

If you are flying a private plane or charter, you will not be asked for the passport--UNTIL YOU LAND, then you will process through INS and CBP like everyone else.

I never said you don't need a passport to enter the US. I said that INS and CBP don't see your passport--or require anyone else to look at it--prior to getting on a plane headed to the US.

Understand now?

CBP do actually require the airlines to check the passports of passangers, the airlines are responsible if they deliver a passenger to the US who is inadmissable, and if they should transport a person who is inadmissable, they have to fly that person back again on the next flight out. International flights coming into the US, also have to transmit the passenger manifest and passport information to CBP, just the same as the cruise ships do.

I NEVER mentioned charter. And I specifically stated COMMERCIAL.

When you find yourself in a hole you wish not to be in, stop digging.

No hole. I'm talking about this situation specifically. CCL stated that they'd be flying people to MCO on a charter. (They later added some commercial flights, which I'm assuming will only be available to those with a passport). Those flying on the CCL charters will not need a passport to board. You are taking my words out of context.

What day are they flying out? Today? Tomorrow?

As far as presenting passports when LEAVING a country? Beyond airline agents checking, some countries DO have formal passport control (i.e. govt. customs/immigration/border patrol/whatever officials) for flights departing the country. The USA is not one of these countries. Mexico does. They even have a departure tax they collect.

Also, and in case anyone is interested, some foreign countries have US passport control in their departure airport, so you go through passport control before departing.

For the most part, ducklite is correct: you don't need a passport to get on the plane, you need the passport to enter the destination country. The airlines require that you show you have one before you are allowed on them so that there is the higher probability of passing through immigration at the destination. Some countries require the transportation carrier to verify this, as the carrier will be responsible for returning the pax to the country of origin.

Also note that the airline personnel are not agents of the destination country, so having shown a passport to the in no way means you will be allowed to enter the destination country.

And that's because they don't want to lose a fare by having to fly you back to your destination because you don't have proper documentation.

The splendor.truimph,now the dream carnival bye bye I was gonna give them a try but I am not wow only thing I hear in the news is carnival,I am going with rccl I feel more safer with them and there ships are always up to date

Some may have medical equipment that cannot go on a plane,

some may have total and utter panic attacks when flying and refuse

some may have 85 lbs of luggage -- what then?

When you have over 3000 to evacuate by only one means - there are surely going to be special circumstances somewhere I woud hope! :eek:

Friends of mine were denied entry at LHR because it was determined that they didn't have the proper work permits even though they had valid passports. They got back on a flight to the US four hours after landing--no change fees to them, it was up to the carrier to repatriate.

Per CCL FB:

"Q: What is going on with Carnival Dream? What happened?

While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted. However, for a period of time last night, there were interruptions to the elevators and restroom services. Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Where was the ship when the problem occurred?

The Carnival Dream was at dock in St. Maarten during a regularly scheduled port of call visit and remains there currently. All passengers are safe and comfortable.

Q: Did the ship lose power?

At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted.

Q: Why is the ship not able to sail back to Port Canaveral?

While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.

Q: Are the toilets and elevators working?

Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Is it true that toilets were overflowing and sewage on floors, in hallways, etc.?

We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Q: Are guests allowed to get off the ship?

Guests have the option to get off the ship to visit the port of St. Maarten until their scheduled return home. We have also arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Q: What is going to happen with the guests from here?

All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs.

Q: Is it true that Carnival is flying everyone to Miami and putting them on buses?

No.

Q: What kind of compensation will they receive?

Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

Q: Are you cancelling future cruises?

We have cancelled the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March, 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Q: How many passengers and crew are onboard?

There are 4,363 guests and 1370 crew on Carnival Dream.

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports."

:) I give CCL's PR department major props for this. This provides significant factual information in a timely fashion. The statement rings true and is open and transparent.

Key points:

-The problem was caused by a malfunction in a backup generator

-Some elevators and restrooms were interrupted last night but have been working since 12:30AM today

-Primary power and propulsion were not affected

-As a precaution due to lack of a backup generator, the ship did not sail home

-Guests will be flown home on flights arranged by CCL

-Pax are allowed off til their return flight is scheduled

-Passports will not be an issue.

The splendor.truimph,now the dream carnival bye bye I was gonna give them a try but I am not wow only thing I hear in the news is carnival,I am going with rccl I feel more safer with them and there ships are always up to date

RCCL just had a Noro outbreak!

Your no safer there! Things happen annywhere!

CBP do actually require the airlines to check the passports of passangers, the airlines are responsible if they deliver a passenger to the US who is inadmissable, and if they should transport a person who is inadmissable, they have to fly that person back again on the next flight out.

This is true except CBP doesn't require them to do so, they do it because it's cheaper than flying people back.

International flights coming into the US, also have to transmit the passenger manifest and passport information to CBP, just the same as the cruise ships do.

I might be wrong, but I don't think any airline ever entered my passport info into a computer. Of course they have my name, etc.

I'm having difficulty understanding how any laws would necessarily be circumvented.

I certainly expect CBP would obey relevant laws. I also expect they have a far better understanding of the laws and regulations they enforce than anyone posting in this forum.

:) I give CCL's PR department major props for this. This provides significant factual information in a timely fashion. The statement rings true and is open and transparent.

Key points:

-The problem was caused by a malfunction in a backup generator

-Some elevators and restrooms were interrupted last night but have been working since 12:30AM today

-Primary power and propulsion were not affected

-As a precaution due to lack of a backup generator, the ship did not sail home

-Guests will be flown home on flights arranged by CCL

-Pax are allowed off til their return flight is scheduled

-Passports will not be an issue.

They don't want a repeat of the PR nightmare from the Triumph fiasco. They started off slow, and are now overcommunicating.

Also, and in case anyone is interested, some foreign countries have US passport control in their departure airport, so you go through passport control before departing.

The only one I'm aware of is Canada (and not all airports), as I previously mentioned. I actually prefer that, you need to be at the airport early anyhow, might as well clear there and not have to wait around when you land.

Archived