CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Cudos to carnival for having a ship that breaks down in port, essentially ruins the last two days of the cruise and does what they absolutely have to do and fly their guest home?

Right...

They can "ruin" my cruise in St. Maartin any time they want. Inconvenienced? Yes.. Ruined? No.

Three types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.

I can read my stock portfolio (which is up today even though the market is in the tank) so I guess math isn't all that anyhow...

Three types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.

Reminds me of an investigation team doing an internal review during our board meeting at work. The PowerPoint had slides that were numbered, or not so much.

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide C

Slide 4

Slide E

Needless to say, that committee is now made up of new members.

Where in any of that does it say that it is only for renewals or replacements?

You seem to make things up according to the way you wish is should be.

BTW: I would still like to see a response to my question about "the carrier" changing laws...

I was responding to someone else and your question is out of context, therefore irrelevant. Go back and read.

Reminds me of an investigation team doing an internal review during our board meeting at work. The PowerPoint had slides that were numbered, or not so much.

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide C

Slide 4

Slide E

Needless to say, that committee is made up of new members.

At least there's some sort of logic to their numbering system. Not much, but some.

They can "ruin" my cruise in St. Maartin any time they want. Inconvenienced? Yes.. Ruined? No.

Agreed. As was mentioned in some other post, I would love the cruise they got... Extra day or two in St. Maarten instead of Day at sea would be awesome.

Cudos to carnival for having a ship that breaks down in port, essentially ruins the last two days of the cruise and does what they absolutely have to do and fly their guest home?

Right...

And Ship happens . . . at least they are on land and not stuck in the middle of the ocean.

I agree, nothing wrong with spending an extra day in St. Maartin, at te beach, getting monies back and an additional 25% off my next cruise.

I don't see the big deal. Ok people are stuck for an extra day at port on a beautiful Caribbean island and have a wonderful reason for missing an extra couple days of work. Boohoo.

I mean it makes sense to complain to get some $$$ back or a discount next cruise, but no sympathy from me for being "stuck" on St. Marteen.

:)

That is to replace a lost or stolen passport. How would someone who is a US citizen be outside the US without a passport to begin with? Think about that for a minute. The only exception I can think of is military dependents, but they are handled differently anyhow.

Actually, that form is indeed for obtaining a NEW US passport, not replacing a lost or stolen passport.

There are plenty of ways a person could find themselves outside of the US without a passport

1) Domestic flight from any of the northern states that diverts to Canada in the event of an emergency shutdown of US airspace (think 9/11)

2) Persons on a closed-loop cruise who find themselves needing to depart the ship and return to the US for any reason (medical emergency, missing the ship, family emergency back home)

3) Persons with a WHTI-compliant alternate document (enhanced driver's license) who find themselves needing to fly home.

4) Dual citizens temporarily living abroad

5) Extremely less likely, but human trafficking.

I don't see the big deal. Ok people are stuck for an extra day at port on a beautiful Caribbean island and have a wonderful reason for missing an extra couple days of work. Boohoo.

I mean it makes sense to complain to get some $$$ back or a discount next cruise, but no sympathy from me for being "stuck" on St. Marteen.

:)

How about some sympathy for the people planning on cruising next who now have their vacations ruined? Or the people who are already in Florida at a pre-cruise hotel and no place else to go but home for the rest of the week.

Travelers have bad luck every day and aren't given carte blanche when coming back into the country to bypass the law as a result.

The Dream passengers aren't being given "carte blanche to bypass the law". Carnival is working with CBP on the documentation issues so that everyone can return within the law. And the Carnival people, and certainly the CBP people, know more about the pertinent law than anyone on this board.

That is to replace a lost or stolen passport. How would someone who is a US citizen be outside the US without a passport to begin with? Think about that for a minute. The only exception I can think of is military dependents, but they are handled differently anyhow.

Where does that link say it's only for lost or stolen passports?

I lived in England for three years. My passport was due to expire in that time. It was never lost or stolen. I went to the embassy in London to get my new passport, and had to fill out an application for renewal.

And before anyone who's perseverating on this topic points it out, yes, I am aware that my application was for a RENEWAL and not a first-time issuance.

Another situation where a U.S. citizen could be overseas without a passport, without its being lost or stolen, would be a child born overseas to civilian American parents.

Yea for those people i feel bad for. And they should get alot more then a refund and 20% off next cruise.

Not a lot of people have extra vacation time to take. For those i definitely sympathize. :(

In all fairness they should offer an all paid cruise for anyone who is booked on the canceled one. A refund does not quantify for the time off taken and the many months or even years of planning that went into the vacation.

They should also offer charter flights to the islands for whoever wants it.

The Dream passengers aren't being given "carte blanche to bypass the law". Carnival is working with CBP on the documentation issues so that everyone can return within the law. And the Carnival people, and certainly the CBP people, know more about the pertinent law than anyone on this board.

Where does that link say it's only for lost or stolen passports?

I lived in England for three years. My passport was due to expire in that time. It was never lost or stolen. I went to the embassy in London to get my new passport, and had to fill out an application for renewal.

And before anyone who's perseverating on this topic points it out, yes, I am aware that my application was for a RENEWAL and not a first-time issuance.

Another situation where a U.S. citizen could be overseas without a passport, without its being lost or stolen, would be a child born overseas to civilian American parents.

Sorry, you are right, I should have also included renewing a passport. The child born overseas is issued a special in-transit passport, not a full passport. A friend had a child while living in Germany a few years ago and the passport for her child was only good for return to the US and only for a certain number of days from issue.

I never said that the people on the Dream need to get passports, all I said was that they should be subject to the same level of scrutiny as anyone returning to the US by air without a passport.

Also, and in case anyone is interested, some foreign countries have US passport control in their departure airport, so you go through passport control before departing.

This is true! We go to Bermuda all the time and when we leave, we go through US customs and immigration in the Bermuda Airport. In fact IIRC, they have signs in that area of the airport that you are in US territory.

Fly home, get off the plane and you're done! It's soooo nice - no lines, no waiting - not even at the airport in BDA.

And Bermuda requires that the airlines check the documentation of all passengers coming in to Bermuda BEFORE the plane leaves the US. They do not want to be stuck with anyone who won't be allowed re-entry into the US.

I was responding to someone else and your question is out of context, therefore irrelevant. Go back and read.

LOL, whenever you can't - or won't - answer you throw out "out of context".

Actually, you hardly ever really answer questions directed at you...

Last night, while watching the first iteration of "Red Dawn", I noticed that when those Soviet paratroopers came sailing down from above, no one asked to see their passports. They arrived by non-commercial aircraft.

So, all they need to do is grab a bunch of 'chutes and herd the passengers onto a troop transport plane and drop them into Florida! Voila! Could they use landing craft for those who are terrified of flying?

Exactly. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that the likely hood of something going awry on a Carnival cruise is higher then other lines. Someone posted that the probability of something going wrong on another line was .02. And only a .2 chance of something going wrong on Carnival. Not sure these numbers are correct, but if they are, that means the risk of something going wrong on Carnival is 10 times that of another line.

10 times the chance. Chance is still low, but why would I want to increase the probability by 10 ten fold?

cause you could save like $50? (this is sarcasm)

Right...

2 days at sea are better than 2 days on the beach? What planet do you live on?

Cudos to Carnival for taking care of their guests.

You're kidding, I hope!:rolleyes:

If Carnival really "cared about their guests" they would not have cut spending for...

Entertainment

Food

Past Guest Program

The big question now...

HAS CARNIVAL ALSO CUT SPENDING FOR MAINTENANCE AND TRAINING???

Archived