CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

What about the ships made them look run down? Was it rusty hulls? That happens to all ships all the time and they have to repaint frequently. Other than that, I am not sure what - seen at a distance - would indicate aship is run down.

A few weeks ago I wa son HAL's Eurodam and it looked fine, yet in Curacao they were painting the side of the ship. Following a similar itinerary as us was the Caribbean Princess and I noticed it had a lot of rust that needed to be fixed.

What cruise line were you one, by the way?

Royal Caribbean, was on the Allure of the Seas. My first cruise ever.

Does any one know the answer to this? There are people who will never step foot on a air plane. They dirve everwhere and they take a homeport cruise because they don't have to fly. Now, with the ship in St Maarten, are they giving people who don't fly (for what ever reason) another way (by ship) to get back to the US.

I was thinking the same way. My mother-in-law lives in Florida and needs oxygen 24/7. Because she can drive to the port, they bring along either the big condenser or she travels with the oxygen tanks ... both won't be allowed on the plane. ALso, I think I read here once someone brought a dialysis machine on board.

What would Carnival do in these situations? Have them shipped home? Obviously, they'd have to get a POC in St. Maarten because otherwise, she can't fly home without oxygen! But then, POC's are very expensive.

I was thinking the same way. My mother-in-law lives in Florida and needs oxygen 24/7. Because she can drive to the port, they bring along either the big condenser or she travels with the oxygen tanks ... both won't be allowed on the plane. ALso, I think I read here once someone brought a dialysis machine on board.

What would Carnival do in these situations? Have them shipped home? Obviously, they'd have to get a POC in St. Maarten because otherwise, she can't fly home without oxygen! But then, POC's are very expensive.

I would think they would have 2 options to get them home if they can't fly... Get on another CCL ship or wait out the Dream and sail back on it... (There are likely issues with both)

Getting anxious about our April 6th sailing on Dream:(

Does anyone think they will need to cancel anything beyond next week's sailing?

Should I try and cancel now and beg for a refund so I at least have a shot at booking another cruise. It's only 3 weeks away.

If my cruise was ruined in St. Maartin I would pick the most expensive resort and send the bill to Carnival in addition send the bill to change my flight. I would need a couple of stiff drinks after the ordeal is over and just continue my vacation there. Why would I want to come home when I'm stranded on St.Martin?

I went to the Carnival facebook page and they have been giving all kinds of updates.

There are some passengers who have requested to stay on board when the ship sails back to it home port. I would have done the same.... not because I'm afraid of flying but because I would not be in that big a hurry to go back work. :D

So for those of you who want more information straight from the horses mouth and not CNN or whoever... I suggest you go there.

Does any one know the answer to this? There are people who will never step foot on a air plane. They dirve everwhere and they take a homeport cruise because they don't have to fly. Now, with the ship in St Maarten, are they giving people who don't fly (for what ever reason) another way (by ship) to get back to the US.

Not my usual board but keeping up with the information on the Dream here. This is exactly what I was wondering, I absolutely abhor flying and when I was booking my upcoming cruise I finally opted out of the cruise I really wanted because it would require flying.

Latest from SXM about airport etc. from a guy who lives there and posted this on TTOL:

"....There's no chaos at the Airport and the movement of people is moving smoothly...."

Another person posted this: "....One DL flight has reached Orlando, two more are en route, and there are three more with Departure times in the system....

at last count there were at least 4 planes coming down from Atlanta to St. Martin, that is way more than the scheduled one flight on Delta's website.

to track inbound flights to St. Martin here is the link

http://www.flightstats.com/go/AirportTracker/airportTracker.do

Cudos to Carnival for taking care of their guests.

I wonder if someone wanted to go to St Martin if there are any super low fares for the trip? with all the extra planes going that way, it would be a win to fill some of the seats of the empty planes.

This is just the reality of the world that we are in. The stock market may be up and the gov't may think there are less people employed but companies are still making cut backs.

We went from 11 on our team to 6 and are supporting more than 5500 users. Do we get chewed for not keeping up? all the time. Is there anything we can do? NO!

Companies are pinching pennies....and poorer customer service is the result.

We had a crappy all inclusive experience in Cancun last year. Bad service no A/C and terrible food. I will take a couple of free days on an exotic Carribean island over that anyday!

Unfortunately, this motto wouldn't worked for Carnival subsidiary Costa, would it?:(

That was the captain's own, devastating, personal judgment call. You can't blame that on anyone other than him. In THIS instance, as with the Legend, and Elation and Triumph...no one was hurt.

Seriously...why are you even ON this board? If you are all about "faith and family"...go pray for Carnival and quit instigating and spewing venom. Be thankful that no one was injured or hurt and MOVE ON. What do you hope to accomplish being so nasty?

I just heard on a short blurb across the tv, during a commercial..that there is yet another Carnival ship (the Legend?) in trouble besides the Dream!!!!! At this point, I am wondering if sabotage is involved. An awful lot of Carnival ships in a VERY short period of time. Waiting for the news to see if I just misunderstood..or???? They did say "2 Carnival ships now in trouble at sea" like it is new today. Although I have never sailed Carnival I have considered it, just recently in fact, and do follow all cruise lines on CC...hope I just misunderstood. It's sad for the cruise industry all around.

As far as passports go..I have one..it makes me feel safer..but that's just me..each to his own ...but I would bet that after all these problems that the cruiselines will soon require them for all cruisers.

How about the people on the next cruise, who have had their vacations crushed by Carnival, and the people on the next cruise after that, wondering if they are next to be axed.

Carnival needs to do a hell of alot more than throw discounts on future cruises and sending planes to get the people they are abandoning in St. Maarten.

What makes you think that Carnival is abondoning people in St. Maarten? They are housing them, feeding them, and returning them back to the U.S. They are working with the governments of St. Maarten and the U.S. to accomodate those people without passports and get them to the U.S. They are refunding the lost 3 days of the cruise. They are giving them a credit for a future cruise.

If they were being abandoned Carnival would have just kicked them off the ship and said you are on your own!

Those people on the cancelled next cruise are being given full refunds and a future cruise credit as well as paying for any non refundable travel such as airfare and transfers.

These people are far from being abandoned.

And sail back to Port Canaveral, once they get it fixed? Talk about a nice extension to their cruise!!!! If I had the time, and that option, I would have done it in a heartbeat...no lines, no chair hogs, etc. LUCKY!!!!:D:D

And sail back to Port Canaveral, once they get it fixed? Talk about a nice extension to their cruise!!!! If I had the time, and that option, I would have done it in a heartbeat...no lines, no chair hogs, etc. LUCKY!!!!:D:D

no, they are staying on the ship until their flight. The last flight would be Sunday. Those on Sunday's flight can stay on the ship

That was the captain's own, devastating, personal judgment call. You can't blame that on anyone other than him.

1. Who hired the captain?

2. Who administered psychological tests? Or weren't there any?

3. Who trained the captain?

4. Who instilled a "safety first" corporate mentality? Or isn't there any?

Sure, you can lay it all on the captain, but the corporation who hired and trained him also has to bear responsibility!

Archived