Help!! Getting DOWNgraded, must choose room...

Lightngsvt

Well I caved, Im to tired today to keep haggling. I talked to a Supervisor in the resolutions department, he was very nice but Im sure couldve done more. But overall Im somewhat satisfied. We took the $150, $300 refund and 1 free specialty restaraunt and moved to 2106. Is it ideal? No! Could they have done more? Possibly. But its not unfair so I guess Ill move on and think about enjoying our cruise.

I think you did well. Here's what I would do. I would write a letter to the Hotel Director from home as follows: Dear Sir, I am writing to introduce myself to you and let you know that although I booked this cruise over a year ago, just days before the cruise Celebrity informed me that they double-booked my cabin, and we were forced to move out of Aqua Class. As there were no suites available, we were downgraded. Celebrity offered a token acknowledgement of their mistake, but as this is both our first Celebrity cruise and our tenth wedding anniversary, we were greatly looking forward to a special cruise. Sincerely,

I would drop this off at the front desk upon boarding, and then I would forget it. Just go about your cruise and make it as great as possible. I think the hotel director will respond. They have much more flexibility on the boat than off.

Some might think this is overkill, but I don't (if I didn't 'get this off my chest' it would continue to bug me, and there is a slim chance that the ship will know what happened if you don't tell them). As I say, once I dropped off the letter I would forget it. In the end, you need to be comfortable that you did what you think is right.

Have a great cruise.

I recommend you send an email, including your booking number and the circumstances as you've described above to the following email address.

Contact_Michael@rccl.com

While it will take a day or two, you might at least get some additional TLC (OBC or??).

Also, I hope you've marked your reservation as an anniversary for a 'cake' delivery (we'd asked for table but it turned up in the cabin - yummy!).

I had money due for a refund to my credit card; waited two weeks and emailed. Two/three days later I received a phone call, the credit appeared on my card yesterday morning and also had a follow up phone call yesterday afternoon to confirm. Supposed to receive a bottle of complementary wine on our next cruise.

Definitely enjoy the cruise and your new cabin. We liked Tuscan Grille.

Judy

I almost hate to point out that once again, the celebrity computer system failed passengers. Perhaps notes like the one suggested to Micheal Bayley's office will wake him up to the problems.....and, although it wouldn't help your situation (which is lousy), I'd work in a comment that the folks on Cruise Critic helped you make the best of the situation....and it just added to the dissatisfaction with Celebrity's computer systems.

Best of luck on your cruise....I think you got an OK deal from Celebrity, given that they had to do something...but in my opinion, they should offer you some additional meals in the specialty restaurants, an (exception) invitation to Blu for dinner and nice bottle of wine...perhaps drunk at the captain's table.

Let's see if they rise to the occasion....

I want to know how they didn't figure it out until 8 days before? Didn't the computer see double deposits, double final payments, double specialty dinners/drink packages/shore excursions being booked to the same cabin? I went to book a different shore excursion and had to cancel my old one first.

It is highly unlikely that this was truly a computer problem.....it is far more likely that someone bounced the OP and used the computer as an excuse. We'll likely never know, but it would be impossible for a computer system to have let this fall through so many cracks. Of course if the OP just made the booking, well, then it could be computer error...but if it was more than 30 days ago, I'll stick with my first statement.

Staying on the 3/23 Silouette cruise. Just got off the phone with the Resolution Dept, they werent willing to budge really. :confused: we went back and forth but I guess I folded first. Although they did offer to let us keep 1599 and theyd bump the original passengers. Honestly they booked well in advance so not sure I feel right about that, so they are going to call them and make them the offer to move.

If we move I think Im going to go with 2106, the balcony is large, its centrally located and should feel less motion (not sure if this will be an issue or not?). They will give us the $150 OBC and refund $240 off the fare. I think 1599 has a large overhang and 2106 has at least a little bit of sun. So wondering if I should take their offer and move over to 2106? 9378 is probably nice and seems to have a better veranda / view but seems to be more of a hike to get anywhere and not sure about the potential motion if we hit weather.

Since you booked you cruise only one week ago you probably do not have a lot of leverage. Roughly they are offering you $30 pp a day to give up AQ. If it was the other way I would not pay $30 pp a day to upgrade to AQ from CC.

It is an offer and not really a forced downgrade based on your comments. They should keep increasing it until one of you accepts.

Tough decision for sure, but at least you get to decide and I do not think that you should feel bad about it. The other couple might actually be very happy with their offer.

I am so glad you are staying put on "our" cruise. I agree that Celebrity should have/could have done more for you. But, I also can't imagine wrapping your head around a cruise the following week with a different itinerary:(

Rumor has that Michael Bayley is sailing on the Silhouette with us, so maybe you can tell him what happened to you in person:D

So, just enjoy your anniversary trip! But, I do agree with the previous poster that you should drop off a letter once you are on board. You will feel better and you never know who might read it!!

Terri

I think you did well. Here's what I would do. I would write a letter to the Hotel Director from home as follows: Dear Sir, I am writing to introduce myself to you and let you know that although I booked this cruise over a year ago, just days before the cruise Celebrity informed me that they double-booked my cabin, and we were forced to move out of Aqua Class. As there were no suites available, we were downgraded. Celebrity offered a token acknowledgement of their mistake, but as this is both our first Celebrity cruise and our tenth wedding anniversary, we were greatly looking forward to a special cruise. Sincerely,

I would drop this off at the front desk upon boarding, and then I would forget it. Just go about your cruise and make it as great as possible. I think the hotel director will respond. They have much more flexibility on the boat than off.

Some might think this is overkill, but I don't (if I didn't 'get this off my chest' it would continue to bug me, and there is a slim chance that the ship will know what happened if you don't tell them). As I say, once I dropped off the letter I would forget it. In the end, you need to be comfortable that you did what you think is right.

Have a great cruise.

I think this is great advice and I hope the OP will see it. It is amazing what the Hotel Director can do. And you have absolutely nothing to lose. Please let us know what happens when you return.

Anne

Well I caved, Im to tired today to keep haggling. I talked to a Supervisor in the resolutions department, he was very nice but Im sure couldve done more. But overall Im somewhat satisfied. We took the $150, $300 refund and 1 free specialty restaraunt and moved to 2106. Is it ideal? No! Could they have done more? Possibly. But its not unfair so I guess Ill move on and think about enjoying our cruise.

Since you booked you cruise only one week ago you probably do not have a lot of leverage. Roughly they are offering you $30 pp a day to give up AQ. If it was the other way I would not pay $30 pp a day to upgrade to AQ from CC.

It is an offer and not really a forced downgrade based on your comments. They should keep increasing it until one of you accepts.

Tough decision for sure, but at least you get to decide and I do not think that you should feel bad about it. The other couple might actually be very happy with their offer.

Sorry I somehow missed that you already accepted the offer when I wrote my e mail.

Not a bad deal. Just forget about it and have a great cruise. If you enjoy beer make sure you check out Michaels.

It is highly unlikely that this was truly a computer problem.....it is far more likely that someone bounced the OP and used the computer as an excuse. We'll likely never know, but it would be impossible for a computer system to have let this fall through so many cracks. Of course if the OP just made the booking, well, then it could be computer error...but if it was more than 30 days ago, I'll stick with my first statement.

I agree, inventory control is a very basic computer function. The ability to have the same room on the same cruise be purchased by two parties is unthinkable/impossible IMO. If the original room purchased is an adjoining room it is even more conspicuous. As they may have moved you in order to take 4 sales. If you want more ammo, you may want to befriend those occupying the original room just to hear their story.

Have a great cruise and just consider the incident a little side mystery that could potentially provide some additional benefits.

One additional safe guard; so far, I believe you have had telephone conversations about the OBC and a free dinner. You want to verify any OBC in writing before you head off on your cruise.

OBC will show on your invoice (have Celebrity or your TA email the client copy to you). If you don't see the OBC now (i.e., SKB-$150 ONBRDCR or GWC6-$150 ONBRDCR), you can't prove anything once on board.

I had email confirmation of some promised OBC; it usually takes the computer system up to two days to show on your account. Mine didn't show and it took three visits and a printout before the OBC was added - on Friday and we debarked on Saturday. They claimed, because the OBC was added within a week of the cruise, that corporate had not forwarded the appropriate documentation to the ship.

Have a great cruise. Judy

I think you did well, so don't fret. 2106 is a great cabin, you will love it.

A few years ago we got a call saying that the cabin (Cabin 6135) on Infinity that we had booked an entire year previously (it was nestled in between the suites and had a super huge balcony) had incurred a fire and they would have to move us. They moved us to the same class of cabin, but of course, with just a standard size balcony. The best they would do is give us a $50 OBC.

As soon as we checked in (per my TA's advice, since he had not heard of any fire), we went to our original room. The door was open and there was a note on the bed welcoming us by name. Huh? I was excited thinking there must have been some mistake and the room was still ours (also, there was absolutely no smell of smoke!). Just then the cabin attendant stepped in (the connecting door between our cabin and the Royal Suite next door was open) and said there was a mistake and nobody was allowed to occupy this room. When we questioned about the "fire", he looked confused and just said the room could not be occupied.

We hauled our butts down to Customer Relations, only to be told that cabin wasn't even on the manifest for that sailing. This made no sense, but there was nothing they could do. No extra OBC, no complimentary bottle of wine, nada.

We got our answer during the sailing via gossip. Seems Kate Jackson (the actress) was booked in the Royal Suite next door to "our" cabin and she wanted the other cabin as well. So, in essence, we got bumped with a lousy $50 for our disappointment.

We still had a great cruise and Celebrity continues to be our cruiseline of choice. But it still steams me that it was handled that way.

Be glad yours worked out better for you!

So should I leave a letter when I get on the ship plus email the gentleman listed above, or just leave the letter? I suppose that overall its not a bad deal already.

Not sure if I mentioned the story or not? Anyway, after my calls yesterday they did offer to let us keep 1599, but the people who booked it first booked almost a year ago. I really didnt feel right about that since they planned well in advance so I told Celebrity to contact them and present the situation and let them decide. THey wanted the room so we agreed to move to 2106 and that when Celebrity added the free dinner to the deal. I feel better about this, not sure I would have been comfortable knowing that we put a damper on someone elses vacation.

Archived