As a first time cruiser....

No, Chops Grille & Portofino are both excellent during anytime of the cruise. One of the first things that I do once I get on board is make reservations at the restaurants. But now you can do it online prior to your sailing. One of the nicest times to hit either restaurant is the first night of your cruise. Most people are falling asleep due to traveling, or worrying about luggage and unpacking. So the restaurants are normally quiet on the first night. On one cruise we were tired of the main dining room. So we ate in Chops 3 times, Portofino 3 times and once in the Windjammer. It was a nice change of pace.

Cool......so I wouldn't miss out on singing waiters, napkin waving etc etc then?

I try and steer clear of that stuff. I don't feel the need to be entertained during dinner.........lol. And now with all the pre-paid gratuities, you don't feel obligated to go to the MDR on the last night.

We ate at Chops the last night on our Feb. 2010 Oasis cruise. I wouldn't do it again, as we felt rushed to get back to the cabin to pack, and set our suitcases out.

I would have preferred to relax during dinner, and after, instead of feeling so full (lots of food at Chops!) and having the packing to attend to.

But I suppose you could pack first--I guess I didn't plan that very well!!

Hmmmm.....food for thought (pun intended).

Is the farewell show on the last night of a cruise, or the pernultamite night? That could influence my decision too.

I'm definitely going to book Chops in advance and I am leaning to booking it for the last night.

Thanks to everyone who has replied thus far :)

Cool......so I wouldn't miss out on singing waiters, napkin waving etc etc then?

If you want to see the singing, napkin waving, etc., then you should go to the MDR on the last night because they won't do that in Chops.

If you want to see the singing, napkin waving, etc., then you should go to the MDR on the last night because they won't do that in Chops.

Or cruise with Carnival - they do this sort of thing all the time (which is just one reason that one Carnival cruise was more than enough). Waiters are there to provide a service, if I want entertainment, I'll go to the theater.

As far as spending time packing - I'm thinking ten minutes tops. Everything except what I'm wearing home gets tossed in, who cares if it wrinkles.

Is the farewell show on the last night of a cruise, or the pernultamite night? That could influence my decision too.

It always bee the last night on my cruises, but I've always done USA closed-loop cruises. And, there was only one show, starting about 105 minutes after the first fixed dining time. You might look into booking Chops the first night. Others might know for sure, but I've read there is a special the first night, maybe a reduced price? But of course you'd probably miss the "Welcome Aboard" show.

Or cruise with Carnival - they do this sort of thing all the time (which is just one reason that one Carnival cruise was more than enough). Waiters are there to provide a service, if I want entertainment, I'll go to the theater.

As far as spending time packing - I'm thinking ten minutes tops. Everything except what I'm wearing home gets tossed in, who cares if it wrinkles.

I hear you there. Not a big fan of dancing or singing waiters. You can do self disembark on RCL can't you?

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Archived