Dressing for formal night

Thank you DaNana, I think you said it well.

As far as people pretending, I work very hard and saved for this cruise. We only get the chance to dress up once in a while on special occasions--I think the cruise is a special occasion.

My collage age son often wears a sports jacket or suit to church. He feels he is being respectful to others.

Also--It is fun and a pleasant experience to see others dressed up too. Life is not a dress rehersal, I want to make the most of my experience on the cruise because I worked for it, planned for it, and are very thankful my family and I will have this precious time together. When I am old and gray and can't go and cruise anymore, I want to look at those formal pictures with a smile and a thankful heart.

Just a side note, my grandmother is in a nursing home. At Christmas time the nursing home had a special dinner and the residents and families all dressed up and ate in the dinning room where they eat night after night. With everyone dressed up, it made the occasion so very special for everyone.

There are basically two answers that anyone will get on CC about this:

#1: Rules are rules, you must follow them or walk the plank, bring a tuxedo, it is after all formal night.

#2: Suggestions are just that, you paid for the trip go ahead and wear your favorite jersey to dinner.

I find I am somewhere in the middle although I lean towards #1 most of the time. Formal night is not just about the food, it is about the atmosphere. Seeing everyone participating is part of what makes cruising fun. For my second cruise (just about 6 months ago) I bought a new jacket and vest. I was one of only a handful in black tie, and I will include in that the guy who wore a red tie to match his wife's dress. Most men wore jackets, although there were quite a few who think dress shirt means t-shirt and quite allot who did not wear any tie, black or otherwise.

What really got me however was not the myriad of opinions as to what constituted formal, as even the less formal ones seemed clean and well cared for. What got me were the large number of people who came into the MDR on formal night in shorts, t-shirts, sports jerseys, caps, and various other things that are supposedly not even allowed there on other nights. My wife grows tired of my constantly saying that I was not raised in a barn.

SO the end of this somewhat long rant/post is that go ahead and have fun. However to me the fun is the whole event not just one part of it. I would never wear a tuxedo on the flowrider, or flip-flops on the zip line. There are certain rules we follow in life and guess what, they really don't make life any less fun.

I don't wear long gowns anymore but will wear a nice cocktail dress one night and bring Black slacks with two fancy tops. Majority of people I see on the formal nights, men will be in suit pants & tie while the ladies dress as I have. It certainly isn't as dressy as when we first cruised in 2002, but as far as we are concerned, as long as everyone is nicely dressed that is all that matters. We really don't get excited if some aren't in the suggested dress for the evening.

To my husband & I, a cruise is a special occassion for us and we are dressed casually 24/7 at home so dressing up for the evening only makes the cruise that more special to us.

I'm planning to have a suit and dress shirt/pants but think I might forego the tie... I really can't eat with that damn thing and have always hated eating with a tie, not least because half the time it ends up in my soup and the other half I am struggling with asphyxiation.

Does anyone have good tips on how to keep a suit still in nicely pressed condition by the time formal night comes around? We will be taking a flight so that makes it more challenging.

Do they have presses onboard?

Edit: nm, DW just told me that I am wearing a tie, so that settles that matter anyway.

We have sailed RCCL several times and you will see a mixture of finely dressed, dressed nicely and not so nice. My DH is renting a tux for our upcoming trip, I will buy 2 new cocktail dresses and my 2 younger sons will have black suits. For us dressing up as a family doesn't happen often and it makes the dinner all the more special.

Recently off 7 days on Navigator. 3 nights I wore shorts and polo shirt,1 night jeans and polo, 1 night Caribbean shirt and dockers , and on the 2 formal nights polo and dockers, flip flops every night since I don't pack dress shoes, only running and hiking shoes. I didn't feel out of place on any night. And while I usually don't notice what anyone else wears, this cruise we were at the 2nd table from the entry doors and believe me, at least on Navigator, which I loved, almost anything goes.

While we do enjoy dressing up on formal nights for our meals in the dining room, what I enjoy even more is the atmosphere created on these beautiful ships by people in formal attire. It creates such a special feeling. The men look like gentlemen, and the women of all ages are glowing and you can tell they feel extra special and beautiful. I love watching families pose for pictures before dinner. It's so fun and unique and makes me think about how people used to dress well for flying and for cruising in the early days. I cherish the formal nights!

I ask this every time this discussion comes up, how is someone not all dressed up going to affect you??

I get it, some people like to dress up and some don't. If someone is not dressed up does it make the food taste bad?

Does it spoil your dinner, because is if does that sounds like your problem.

You people act as if it is a dress code, it's not. It is a suggestion for people to pretend they are something they are not. If dressing in a tux or usually god awful evening gown makes you feel superior, then too bad.

But I would like someone to give me one damn legitimate reason of if I where jeans and a dress shirt, I am looked down on by people like you. I don't judge people the way they dress, and I pray that I can be at a table with someone like you. I will wearing my tuxedo shirt, bright orange parachute pants, and maybe even put on me kids water wings.

Aren't you assuming a heck of a lot? This is my husband's vacation as well as yours. If wearing orange parachute pants is your idea of a good time - by all means, wear them. My husband has the same right to wear his tuxedo as it is part of his enjoyment of the cruise. I spend my days in jeans doing all the mundane things regular people do - if I want to dress up and feel pretty while I'm on vacation, I have every right to do that too; and it doesn't make me "superior". Who are you to judge who is pretending to be someone they aren't? Do you seriously believe my husband thinks he's "James Bond"? He's just having a bit of fun on his vacation - you're all for "fun" on vacations aren't you? By all means - wear your jeans, or parachute pants. You're right - they won't enforce any "rules" - but don't blame others if you feel uncomfortable among people who choose to "dress up" a bit. That's your problem, not ours.

Does anyone have good tips on how to keep a suit still in nicely pressed condition by the time formal night comes around? We will be taking a flight so that makes it more challenging.

Keep your suit in a dry cleaner bag when you pack, for some reason it really helps a lot. And if worse comes to worst you can have your suit pressed on the ship.

Hi,

I am reading all your responses and finding them.pretty useful. The april 6th oasis will be our first cruise so I really have no idea whatsoever what to pack besides the bathing suits, tshirts, flip flops etc. I don't own a suit (I am 23, I know I should but I don't have one) because I never really needed one, never went to weddigs or events I had to wear one. I have always wanted to wear a tuxedo tho. I might rent one, but I really don't want to feel overdressed.

I would looooove to hear from all the experienced cruises out here, should I wear a tie, a tux, a dress shirt only? Taking my age into consideration, not that I cannot wear a suit, but I think I still can get away with something not so formal, I was thinking of black trousers, black shoes, a black blazer and a golden foulard I have, Would that be appropiate for one night?

Will they bounce me if I'm not well dressed? Like you better go to the wibdjammer lol. looove fashion and i think I dress pretty well but again, I never really had to dress up in formal. Sorry if I ask too much but again I have no idea at all how all this works.

While we do enjoy dressing up on formal nights for our meals in the dining room, what I enjoy even more is the atmosphere created on these beautiful ships by people in formal attire. It creates such a special feeling. The men look like gentlemen, and the women of all ages are glowing and you can tell they feel extra special and beautiful. I love watching families pose for pictures before dinner. It's so fun and unique and makes me think about how people used to dress well for flying and for cruising in the early days. I cherish the formal nights!

Thank you for summing this up so perfectly! On our first cruise we took our daughters - then at the difficult ages of 14 and 15. It seemed that everyday was some sort of battle. This was in 1998 and cruise ship dining rooms were still very formal then. I told the girls they had no choice and that they had to wear a nice dress and have their hair done appropriately. I can't tell you how emotional I felt when I saw the two of them sitting so nicely at the table, using their best manners. I had to choke back tears several times. Now, years later, they still talk about that cruise and how much they loved those formal evenings. I, too, cherish formal nights!

Hi,

I am reading all your responses and finding them.pretty useful. The april 6th oasis will be our first cruise so I really have no idea whatsoever what to pack besides the bathing suits, tshirts, flip flops etc. I don't own a suit (I am 23, I know I should but I don't have one) because I never really needed one, never went to weddigs or events I had to wear one. I have always wanted to wear a tuxedo tho. I might rent one, but I really don't want to feel overdressed.

I would looooove to hear from all the experienced cruises out here, should I wear a tie, a tux, a dress shirt only? Taking my age into consideration, not that I cannot wear a suit, but I think I still can get away with something not so formal, I was thinking of black trousers, black shoes, a black blazer and a golden foulard I have, Would that be appropiate for one night?

Will they bounce me if I'm not well dressed? Like you better go to the wibdjammer lol. looove fashion and i think I dress pretty well but again, I never really had to dress up in formal. Sorry if I ask too much but again I have no idea at all how all this works.

Pretty experienced cruiser here. I have done formal nights in just about all the combinations. Tux, suit, shirt and tie, polo and dockers. They won't bounce you. Enjoy your cruise, If you've never done the tux thing, by all means do it, you can rent one after you get on board, you won't be over dressed, there will be many others in tux. By the way I'm 57 and once my office went casual, I dumped all the suits, so I don't own one either:)

Do they have presses onboard?

Edit: nm, DW just told me that I am wearing a tie, so that settles that matter anyway.

I haven't tried this myself, but have read somewhere that if your dress/suit etc is creased try hanging it up in the bathroom and the steam will get the creases out

I haven't tried this myself' date=' but have read somewhere that if your dress/suit etc is creased try hanging it up in the bathroom and the steam will get the creases out[/quote']

When all else fails, send the dress/suit or whatever is wrinkled to the ships laundry. Pressing is very reasonable and well worth it.

I personally always rent a Tuxedo from those online formal cruise wear people. If I recall it was about $120 bucks and it gets delivered to your stateroom and they take it away on the last night of the cruise.

Some people enjoy the formal nights, others don't feel like they should be told how and when to dress a certain way. Neither opinion is right or wrong, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Not sure why you feel the need to be so negative here. This was not personal to you, since I don't know you. I dress up more than on these cruises, that is for sure. This is just an especially nice time to do so.

May you always be placed with people who appreciate your negative attitude, and orange parachute pants.

Your the one that's said people should go to the windjammer if they can't dress up, didn't you? Especially if they are at your table!

Aren't you assuming a heck of a lot? This is my husband's vacation as well as yours. If wearing orange parachute pants is your idea of a good time - by all means, wear them. My husband has the same right to wear his tuxedo as it is part of his enjoyment of the cruise. I spend my days in jeans doing all the mundane things regular people do - if I want to dress up and feel pretty while I'm on vacation, I have every right to do that too; and it doesn't make me "superior". Who are you to judge who is pretending to be someone they aren't? Do you seriously believe my husband thinks he's "James Bond"? He's just having a bit of fun on his vacation - you're all for "fun" on vacations aren't you? By all means - wear your jeans, or parachute pants. You're right - they won't enforce any "rules" - but don't blame others if you feel uncomfortable among people who choose to "dress up" a bit. That's your problem, not ours.

I dont feel uncomfortable not being dressed up, its the people that make comments about others that choose not to dress up. And I'm just saying if your the type to be bothered by me not dressing up on formal night, don't sit here and make comments that I should go eat elsewhere. I am not the one who makes any comments about how someone wants to dress, but I will respond to comments that say somehow I am ruining your evening by not putting on a tux or a suit.

I dont feel uncomfortable not being dressed up, its the people that make comments about others that choose not to dress up. And I'm just saying if your the type to be bothered by me not dressing up on formal night, don't sit here and make comments that I should go eat elsewhere. I am not the one who makes any comments about how someone wants to dress, but I will respond to comments that say somehow I am ruining your evening by not putting on a tux or a suit.

Shaken, not stirred..........lol. (Regardng the Bond comment.)

Pretty experienced cruiser here. I have done formal nights in just about all the combinations. Tux, suit, shirt and tie, polo and dockers. They won't bounce you. Enjoy your cruise, If you've never done the tux thing, by all means do it, you can rent one after you get on board, you won't be over dressed, there will be many others in tux. By the way I'm 57 and once my office went casual, I dumped all the suits, so I don't own one either:)

Just because it is discussed so much here I paid attention to look out for men in tuxes. On our freedom cruise I saw three men in a tux. (Granted I did not see everyone that had the same seating as us) I saw a lot of men in just a jacket with no tie or a tie with no jacket. And even quite a few in just a dress shirt and slacks.

Do you seriously believe my husband thinks he's "James Bond"?

I hope that he doesn't believe that because that would make two of us and that would mean I'd have to exercise my 00 license.

image.jpg.f2dfc0f1cf935140dc8f0ecc8816b681.jpg

I didn't say any of those things. You can wear what you like and you can eat where you like, you won't ruin my evening. Quite frankly I'd rather enjoy dinner with someone wearing jeans who is pleasant and interesting and has good manners, than someone in a tuxedo who is rude and nasty and has bad manners. All that being said I personally do think that cruise ships should uphold their dining room codes.

I hope that he doesn't believe that because that would make two of us and that would mean I'd have to exercise my 00 license.

[ATTACH]264604[/ATTACH]

Oh dear - we'd better make sure we're never on the same cruise (cause truthfully - he really DOES like to pretend he's Bond - James Bond).:D

I really think think this whole attitude towards dressing up may just be about the times we live in. I will date myself by mentioning that when I was a girl my Grandpa was a banker and he was always in a suit, even at home, except he would lose the tie. I can remember taking them to the airport and my grandparents would be dressed to the nines, with Grandma wearing gloves. We are a more casual society now. We really just enjoy the specialness of dressing up for dinner, and the feeling you get when others around you look so festive. If others don't it really doesn't spoil it for us. I do however feel that shorts and sleeveless T's don't belong no matter what the suggestion for dinner attire.

There was a post from a gentleman that was on I believe the oasis or allure. They had some kind of q&a with several officers. Someone asked why they don't enforce the dress code. The officer said they only have suggestions and will not deny people entry to the mdr. I think people either need to accept that the mass market lines are more casual or switch to a line that is formal. Because it isn't going to change.

Archived