Dressing for formal night

I dont feel uncomfortable not being dressed up, its the people that make comments about others that choose not to dress up. And I'm just saying if your the type to be bothered by me not dressing up on formal night, don't sit here and make comments that I should go eat elsewhere. I am not the one who makes any comments about how someone wants to dress, but I will respond to comments that say somehow I am ruining your evening by not putting on a tux or a suit.

I don't much get bothered about it, but there is a published dress code. It does not say these things are mandatory, but it defines what is considered appropriate. Those you know of the suggested dress and choose to do whatever they want should pretty much expect others to make comments about them.

Does it really bother you that much that people make comments about those who ignore the dress code?

On our freedom cruise I saw three men in a tux.

Must have been a big tux! Or very small men!:-D

But joking aside, even if they don't enforce the dresscode, one would feel a bit out of place on formal night if one did not dress up.

I had shorts (down to the knees) and t-shirt a few days on casual night, and that was before I saw that shorts was a no-no. At first I was a bit embarrassed, but luckily I saw a few other people wearing shorts as well so I let it go. But my lovely partner said she would get me some polo shirts for our next cruise so I would look more smart casual, so all is good :-)

For the formal night it's more important for me to fit in so I wore a nice dark suit. A tux would be too much and I would feel more out of place wearing one.

Just because it is discussed so much here I paid attention to look out for men in tuxes. On our freedom cruise I saw three men in a tux. (Granted I did not see everyone that had the same seating as us) I saw a lot of men in just a jacket with no tie or a tie with no jacket. And even quite a few in just a dress shirt and slacks.

Most of this was true on Navigator too. However, I did see most of people coming in because of our table location and our typical senior citizen arrival time and there were a lot more than 3 tuxes on Navigator's early seating, heck there were more than 3 between our table and the one next to ours. Guess it varies.

Oh dear - we'd better make sure we're never on the same cruise (cause truthfully - he really DOES like to pretend he's Bond - James Bond).:D

It would be safer if we don't meet. This is what happened to a wannabe on Mariner in January.:rolleyes:

image_zpsd67a13b8.jpg

Those you know of the suggested dress and choose to do whatever they want should pretty much expect others to make comments about them.

I saw a young woman in the windjammer wearing what appeared to be a pink neon fishnet dress (with something else under), and I have a feeling she knew about the attention she would get :-D

But everything goes in the WJ.. :-)

Most of this was true on Navigator too. However, I did see most of people coming in because of our table location and our typical senior citizen arrival time and there were a lot more than 3 tuxes on Navigator's early seating, heck there were more than 3 between our table and the one next to ours. Guess it varies.

Agree - on Oasis there were lots of tuxes, also many in military dress uniform.

We will be on the Navigator on 5/19 after spending a week in Europe. We thought about bringing dress cloths for formal nights but simply do not have the space without taking extra luggage.

We were going to book Portofino for the formal nights but read on the RCl website you need a jacket on formal nights.

What are our dining options? The best I'll have is slacks and a dress shirt with tie. She we plan on the WJ or the cafe? Is room service decent for dinner?

I was on Oasis and there were several men of all ages in tuxes. To the original poster, you may be able to find a used tux for less than cost of a new one. One of the men of our group commented that he liked wearing the tux and "appreciated the view" of the ladies in formal attire. (i.e. dresses that were either short or low cut) :D

Regarding packing, I am a huge fan of dry cleaner bags. I packed everything in the dry cleaner bag and was pleasantly surprised that NOTHING was wrinkled.

I was on Oasis and there were several men of all ages in tuxes. To the original poster, you may be able to find a used tux for less than cost of a new one. One of the men of our group commented that he liked wearing the tux and "appreciated the view" of the ladies in formal attire. (i.e. dresses that were either short or low cut) :D

Regarding packing, I am a huge fan of dry cleaner bags. I packed everything in the dry cleaner bag and was pleasantly surprised that NOTHING was wrinkled.

I was thinking about buying a used Tuxedo just for cruises. But I convinced myself that I don't need the extra baggage to carry around with me. So I'll spend the $120 and rent one. It is very convenient. They deliver it your cabin and pick it up on the last night. I've been using that online cruise formal wear company. They do a pretty good job as long as you provide them with the correct measurements.

While I may not have been on as many cruise as others I have been on a few. What I have learned it is not the tux and formal gowns that make great table mates, it is the people themselves. My wife and I do not wear a tux and formal gown, and we do not wear t-shirts and shorts, we someplace in between. I do not worry about what others at my table wear; I just ask that they respect everyone at the table and we will all have a great time. I would rather have a wonderful evening with someone in a t-shirt then a bad time with someone in a tux.

Here's my view...

Part of the fun of the formal night is that it harkens back to the old days of the luxury liners. Yes, I know I'm not a British aristocrat, or James Bond, or at a State Dinner, but it's kind of fun to feel like you are. However, it's hard to maintain that illusion when the guy sitting next to you is dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap.

I have no problem cruising on a line that's less formal, and I think that there should be decent dining options for those who don't enjoy dressing up, but, the do do call it "formal night" on RCCL, and yeah, having people not playing along does impact my enjoyment. It's not about feeling superior or judging others, it's more like being at a magic show and having someone next to you explaining how the tricks are done, or pointing out the strings at a puppet show. It breaks the mood, and brings you back to reality.

I do like NCL's model of having both dressy and non-dressy dining rooms (although the dressier one is never all that formal)- that way everyone gets what they want.

While I may not have been on as many cruise as others I have been on a few. What I have learned it is not the tux and formal gowns that make great table mates, it is the people themselves. My wife and I do not wear a tux and formal gown, and we do not wear t-shirts and shorts, we someplace in between. I do not worry about what others at my table wear; I just ask that they respect everyone at the table and we will all have a great time. I would rather have a wonderful evening with someone in a t-shirt then a bad time with someone in a tux.

That is my whole point!!

My problem is about making other people feel not welcome, or hinting they should avoiding the MDR becasue they don't dress up.

If you choose to wear a tux every night, that is your choice, I wouldn't make comments about it, or hope that you would go eat somewhere else. Some people on these boards are just too full of themsleves. I go on a cruise to have a nice vacation. I have met some great people and some not so great people, but I could care less what they wear to dinner, especially the formal night. My only limit is that you have good hygene and shower so you don't stink the place up.

But just as one poster said he was worried about fitting in, I don't have that worry about not fitting in becasue of what I wear, and there are uncountable number of threads that bash poeple for not getting dressed up and being made to feel they should go elsewhere.

Have you ever thought that there are people that have to get dressed up every single day they work, and for thier one week vacation, the last thing they want to do is get dressed up. Maybe the most they want ot get dressed up is jeans and a polo shirt.

Does it really bother you that much that people make comments about those who ignore the dress code? Today 03:05 PM

Does it really bother you that much that people make comments about those who ignore the dress code? Today 03:05 PM

Every time I see a thread about dress code, I see lots of " I don't get to dress up very often". Believe it or not, there are those of us who have to dress up quite often due to our profession and professional gatherings. Taking a cruise without having to constantly be "dressed to be seen", is our prescription for relaxation and sanity. We still make the token effort on nights designated as formal. He wears dark suit and tie, I wear black pants and glittery top. We feel totally comfortable regardless of how others are dressed.

On one cruise our luggage did not arrive so we spent 3 days on the ship in our casual winter clothing. We were encouraged to come to formal night in whatever we had. We came down in slacks and heavy sweaters. After sitting at the table for a few minutes, the other 3 couples got up and left the table. We felt terrible for spoiling their evening -- until they returned a few minutes later having all changed into casual clothes just so we wouldn't feel uncomfortalbe. That speaks of more class than all the tux and gowns in the room.

My only limit is that you have good hygiene and shower so you don't stink the place up.

Have you ever thought that there are people that have to get showered up every single day they work, and for their one week vacation, the last thing they want to do is bathe. Maybe the most they want to get cleaned up is wash their hands and wear clean underwear.

I do hate the threads on formal dress,IMHO but there are cruisers and there are cruises that dress might matter to many being personal or just to fit in and look nice. We are cruise travelers, well most of the time, and our next cruise is on the Legend of the seas in April from Singapore to Dubai. On this cruise, we have 10 days in China/Hong Kong before flying to Singapore for the cruise, then a couple of days in Singapore before the cruise and then after the cruise I think we have at least 4 days in Dubai before flying home. Enough said, if anyone thinks I have room for a suit or real dressy clothes, for the cruise is not a traveler. I will look nice better than many but not formal, in any way shape or form and will eat where I want to and no to renting tux not my style Yes, I get free laundry, but but not when I need it LOL.

If we do a Caribbean cruise I usually will take a Jacket and some dress clothes, but that is usually only for 7 days so no big deal with packing.

On one cruise our luggage did not arrive so we spent 3 days on the ship in our casual winter clothing. We were encouraged to come to formal night in whatever we had. We came down in slacks and heavy sweaters. After sitting at the table for a few minutes, the other 3 couples got up and left the table. We felt terrible for spoiling their evening -- until they returned a few minutes later having all changed into casual clothes just so we wouldn't feel uncomfortable. That speaks of more class than all the tux and gowns in the room.

That actually sounds odd to me. Why would they feel they needed to dress down in order to make sure you were not uncomfortable? And why would they all leave, without even telling you they'd be right back? Did they want to make you feel bad as some sort of joke?

Sounds like it worked out, but it does seem like odd behavior.

I've been on the other side of that situation, where table-mates were considering skipping formal night, because they didn't pack the right clothes. We told them, if they wanted to come to the dining room, that they shouldn't worry about the attire too much and just wear what they did have. We didn't change what we had planned to wear to dinner, though.

Here's my view...

Part of the fun of the formal night is that it harkens back to the old days of the luxury liners. Yes, I know I'm not a British aristocrat, or James Bond, or at a State Dinner, but it's kind of fun to feel like you are. However, it's hard to maintain that illusion when the guy sitting next to you is dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap.

I have no problem cruising on a line that's less formal, and I think that there should be decent dining options for those who don't enjoy dressing up, but, the do do call it "formal night" on RCCL, and yeah, having people not playing along does impact my enjoyment. It's not about feeling superior or judging others, it's more like being at a magic show and having someone next to you explaining how the tricks are done, or pointing out the strings at a puppet show. It breaks the mood, and brings you back to reality.

That is how I feel, exactly! We are at this beautiful ball, dinner, gala, or what have you, and it does break the special feeling. You summed it up in such a great way! Thanks for this!

Oh well, here is just another opinion............lol.

Personally, I really don't care what you wear into the main dining room for dinner as long as you look neat and presentable. A nicely pressed pair of jeans with a collared shirt and shoes is fine. Some people look like they just came from the beach right to the dining room.

Regarding formal nights. I don't dress up much during the year. So if it makes the old lady happy, I'll throw on a Tux for 2 nights during the year.

I take more issue with the parents that let their kids run around the dining room like it's Chuck E Cheese than I do with peoples attire.

Thank you for summing this up so perfectly! On our first cruise we took our daughters - then at the difficult ages of 14 and 15. It seemed that everyday was some sort of battle. This was in 1998 and cruise ship dining rooms were still very formal then. I told the girls they had no choice and that they had to wear a nice dress and have their hair done appropriately. I can't tell you how emotional I felt when I saw the two of them sitting so nicely at the table, using their best manners. I had to choke back tears several times. Now, years later, they still talk about that cruise and how much they loved those formal evenings. I, too, cherish formal nights!

I totally agree with both your posts. Very well said.

Just because it is discussed so much here I paid attention to look out for men in tuxes. On our freedom cruise I saw three men in a tux. (Granted I did not see everyone that had the same seating as us) I saw a lot of men in just a jacket with no tie or a tie with no jacket. And even quite a few in just a dress shirt and slacks.

I have no problem with this dress.

It's the slobs in jean or shorts.

Have you ever thought that there are people that have to get showered up every single day they work, and for their one week vacation, the last thing they want to do is bathe. Maybe the most they want to get cleaned up is wash their hands and wear clean underwear.

So now your going to compare not getting dressed up to having someone with body odor that actually can be disgsuting. World of difference there. If you dont see it as a difference than you have some major issues.

Here's my view...

That is how I feel, exactly! We are at this beautiful ball, dinner, gala, or what have you, and it does break the special feeling. You summed it up in such a great way! Thanks for this!

Just explain to me ho wit ruins your enjoyment.

Oh well, here is just another opinion............lol.

Personally, I really don't care what you wear into the main dining room for dinner as long as you look neat and presentable. A nicely pressed pair of jeans with a collared shirt and shoes is fine. Some people look like they just came from the beach right to the dining room.

Regarding formal nights. I don't dress up much during the year. So if it makes the old lady happy, I'll throw on a Tux for 2 nights during the year.

I take more issue with the parents that let their kids run around the dining room like it's Chuck E Cheese than I do with peoples attire.

I agree with you except for the part about the pressed jeans. Who irons a pair of jeans? :D:D

Sherri:)

I have no problem with this dress.

It's the slobs in jean or shorts.

I think my husband looks very good in his dark black jeans & velvet jacket & would put him up against a tux any day!:D

I agree with you except for the part about the pressed jeans. Who irons a pair of jeans? :D:D

I have knock around jeans for everyday farting around, and I have nice jeans that I send to the dry cleaners for that nice crisp crease. I never said that I ironed them. I wore a uniform for 20 years, my days of ironing are over. :D:D:D

Archived