Dressing for formal night

Oh well, here is just another opinion............lol.

Personally, I really don't care what you wear into the main dining room for dinner as long as you look neat and presentable. A nicely pressed pair of jeans with a collared shirt and shoes is fine. Some people look like they just came from the beach right to the dining room.

Regarding formal nights. I don't dress up much during the year. So if it makes the old lady happy, I'll throw on a Tux for 2 nights during the year.

I take more issue with the parents that let their kids run around the dining room like it's Chuck E Cheese than I do with peoples attire.

Yes, you are right! About the Chuck E Cheese! Would definitely get me going to have rug rats running around the dining room. But I have also seen children who have better manners then lots of adults. I sure as heck don't want loud mouth drunks at my table!

I have knock around jeans for everyday farting around, and I have nice jeans that I send to the dry cleaners for that nice crisp crease. I never said that I ironed them. I wore a uniform for 20 years, my days of ironing are over. :D:D:D

To be honest, I haven't touched an iron in over 20 years!:D But I can't imagine sending a pair of jeans to the dry cleaners!:D

Sherri:)

So now your going to compare not getting dressed up to having someone with body odor that actually can be disgsuting. World of difference there. If you dont see it as a difference than you have some major issues.

giggles.............

Just explain to me how it ruins your enjoyment.

Come on. That poster explained it very well, but did not say anything about it "ruining" anything. The quote was, "It breaks the mood..."

Oh, and my earlier post about bathing was just an attempt at having a sense of humor about things. You should try it some time. :D

You mean as long as someone doesn't point out the strings, you think the puppets are real ?

You mean they aren't?

I'm not sure if you are being intentionally dense, or just trying to score points, but seriously? If you watch the Muppets, the artistry of the puppeteers make them "real" to those watching- you soon forget about the strings (or rods, in the case of the Muppets). But if some yutz next to you says "Hey, look at the rods", the spell is broken, and you're back to looking at some felt surrounding someone's hand, until you "forget" again. But I think you probably knew that.

You mean they aren't?

I'm not sure if you are being intentionally dense, or just trying to score points, but seriously? If you watch the Muppets, the artistry of the puppeteers make them "real" to those watching- you soon forget about the strings (or rods, in the case of the Muppets). But if some yutz next to you says "Hey, look at the rods", the spell is broken, and you're back to looking at some felt surrounding someone's hand, until you "forget" again. But I think you probably knew that.

Nahhhhhhhhh even though I enjoy The Muppets a lot and enjoy their humor, I pretty much have it well in mind that they are puppets and its a guy holding them behind a curtain or under a table that is making them move and talk.

Now if I was watching a rerun of "Bewitched" and some oaf walked in and yelled "Hey Thats a different Darren!!!!!" I could see the problem :)

You mean they aren't?

If I hear "Hey, look at the rods", I better be fishing. If not, I am keeping my back up against the wall !!!

I am the original poster and gee did I get some answers and more.

First off husband does have a tux. Used it on many cruises. Then as things became more casual he just wore a suit. For the last few years he has gone to wearing a pair of suit pants, pastel colored shirt and tie. I went from long gown, to cocktail dress, to now I wear black slacks and fancy top. So when I said we dress extremely casual I call this casual for formal.

Yes we enjoyed dressing up for awhile but after 15 cruises it has lost it's luster. We have reduced hauling so much luggage.

Thanks for all the replies. I do feel we can go on rccl and leave the tux and long gown at home.

I think this must be seen both ways, this is like eating out. You have a fast food joint and a fancy restaurant. If you don't want to dress up, don't step on the fancy one. If you want to go in short pants, your choice is the fast food. Chances are you will be bounced if you are not properly dressed. I know now the won't bounce you for not going well dressed at the cruise. But that doesn't mean you can show up in flip flops for respect to fellow passengers. Personally I wouldnt mind and I won't what people is wearing but is clear that a lot do.

In the other hand, RCI is not a luxury line, hence not a lot of people will be carrying tuxedos and gowns.

So if you want to dress up, do so, but don't complain of others are not, they are not obligated

If you don't want to dress up, and still go to the MDR on formal.nights, dont complain when people give you bad looks.

I live to dress up. And it does not take me any longer to put on a dress than it does to put on a casual outfit. So all this nonsense about too much fuss is garbage. I always take my shower before dinner and the thing that takes the longest is doing my hair.

But it seems the protestors are making a fuss because they want to plop at the table after their day out. Yuck!

Once when were were in Hawaii we got back late from an excursion. We had no time to change. I wanted to go to the WJ, but the majority of our group insisted in the MDR. I was very unhappy and felt sloppy and uncomfortable. I would never ever do that again, even if it meant eating alone.

But if you are not sitting with me I don't give a Crap what you look or smell like. ;)

And more people will be dressed up than not. On European cruises they dress up every night. Last year even though we do dressy casual on those other nights the rest at our table were more dressed up than we were. No tuxes those nights though. But on the three formal nights I saw as many tuxes as on Oscar night.

Tommy

You just don't get it. I can't stand negative attitudes--trying to justify something you apparently don't understand. There is no point to try to explain, because I tried as others have in a nice way. Like I said, this is it-this is all there is-I choose to stop and smell the roses, I am sorry you will walk right by them without a glance.

I have a friend dying of cancer. Her husband never wore a suit, except on cruises. he told me he did it for her, his wife. They actually went to the Goodwill, and picked out a lovey sports jacket and suit for the cruise, as they didn't want to invest in alot of money. If you go into their house--what do you see--large pictures of them on formal night. She charishes those pictures, he told me how thankful they were to be able to cruise and those pictures were priceless to him. Him getting dressed up for her showed how much he loved her. He is so proud of those pictures and those happy memories of formal night--his eyes lit up as he told me about it. Crusing is what you make of it--and I want to hold on to every second because I will be with my loving husband and son.

I don't get it. What's the point of all this back and fourth bantering with some of you? If you don't agree, you don't agree. But all these personal attacks against one another really isn't necessary. It's quite obvious that some of you are on opposite sides of the coin on this one. Just chalk it up to a difference of opinion. By continually trying to force feed your opinion down someone's throat is not very productive, and obviously has no effect.

So at the end of the round, go to you neutral corners and stay there :D

I don't get it. What's the point of all this back and fourth bantering with some of you? If you don't agree, you don't agree. But all these personal attacks against one another really isn't necessary. It's quite obvious that some of you are on opposite sides of the coin on this one. Just chalk it up to a difference of opinion. By continually trying to force feed your opinion down someone's throat is not very productive, and obviously has no effect.

So at the end of the round, go to you neutral corners and stay there :D

Right! Only people with the same opinions should debate and discuss such things. ;)

Right! Only people with the same opinions should debate and discuss such things. ;)

Their is a big difference between discussing and debating like adults. But by some of the personal attacks it seems like the discussing/debating part has gone out the window.

Their is a big difference between discussing and debating like adults. But by some of the personal attacks it seems like the discussing/debating part has gone out the window.

My suggestion to you, rather than trying to dictate to all the others here, is to not read it, if you don't like the discussion. I think, in general, this has been a pretty civil thread about how to dress. Different opinions, yes, but not really much in the way of personal attacks. Heck, I searched the thread for the word (fashion) police, and it hadn't even been used yet (but now it has, by me :o). And the word slob had only been used once (and it wasn't even a "personal attack" because it wasn't directed at anyone in particular).

PS - If you do run across a post that you think is inappropriately rude or personal, the best thing to do is hit the little red triangle to report the post and let the moderators decide if it crosses the line or not.

My suggestion to you, rather than trying to dictate to all the others here, is to not read it, if you don't like the discussion. I think, in general, this has been a pretty civil thread about how to dress. Different opinions, yes, but not really much in the way of personal attacks. Heck, I searched the thread for the word (fashion) police, and it hadn't even been used yet (but now it has, by me :o). And the word slob had only been used once (and it wasn't even a "personal attack" because it wasn't directed at anyone in particular).

My only point was that the personal attacks are by no means beneficial to the thread, and seem pointless in general. No more, no less. And I wasn't trying to dictate anything other than just be nice to one another even if you disagree.

I ask this every time this discussion comes up, how is someone not all dressed up going to affect you??

I get it, some people like to dress up and some don't. If someone is not dressed up does it make the food taste bad?

Does it spoil your dinner, because is if does that sounds like your problem.

You people act as if it is a dress code, it's not. It is a suggestion for people to pretend they are something they are not. If dressing in a tux or usually god awful evening gown makes you feel superior, then too bad.

But I would like someone to give me one damn legitimate reason of if I where jeans and a dress shirt, I am looked down on by people like you. I don't judge people the way they dress, and I pray that I can be at a table with someone like you. I will wearing my tuxedo shirt, bright orange parachute pants, and maybe even put on me kids water wings.

Chill out dude! If you want to dress like a slob that's your business. Don't come down on people that want to look a little classy. I have to say one thing about you and people like you: you make the rest of us look better!

I've done tuxes, I've done suits, and I've done jackets with no tie. The longer the cruise, the more likely you are to see me in a tux at least one night. On short cruises, I'm usually just a dress shirt and jacket kind of guy. Will make an exception for Monarch's farewell cruise. No way that I will sail on her last cruise without a tuxedo. I own a tux, but rent when I cruise because we only travel with a roll aboard and backpack, and I'd rather save the space for other things. I do pack a real bow tie though. :D

Bottom line, I think the the rantings and ravings about whether formal night is good or bad are way overrated. Just do your thing. It's your cruise. I do wish folks wouldn't show up in shorts on formal night, but seeing someone not dressed up is surely not going to impact me or my cruise one way or the other. I have enough to keep up with just looking after myself.

Chill out dude! If you want to dress like a slob that's your business. Don't come down on people that want to look a little classy. I have to say one thing about you and people like you: you make the rest of us look better!

Really!!! My whole point is people that dress up, bash people that choose not to get dressed up on formal night.

My only request was to give me one good reason how someone who is not dressed up is ruining your night, which many people make that statement.

If someone is comfortable enough to not get dressed up, they should not be told to go eat elsewhere.

Until it is an actual RULE to put on a tux or suit, people on this board should not make comments about how someone should not be allowed to eat in the dining room.

Unless if someone obnoxious, rude, I would never suggest someone isn't welcome to where I eat based on what they are wearing.

Even if I chose to put on the best tux made, and my table mate strolled in shorts and his tuxedo shirt, I would NEVER make someone feel out of place, I would never make a comment about his attire, which is my point that who the hell do some of these people think they are suggesting someone else go eat elsewhere because they aren't dressed up to their standards!!!!!

Really!!! My whole point is people that dress up, bash people that choose not to get dressed up on formal night.

My only request was to give me one good reason how someone who is not dressed up is ruining your night, which many people make that statement.

Actually, you are only one who has said that in this thread. You're making up something to argue against.

Archived