Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

You are so right, look at what happened on Princess when they relaxed the dress code :

Informal means that you often now see shorts, teeshirts and flip-flops in the restaurant in the evening. The staff do not enforce the dress code because they have been told not to upset the passengers.

We moved to Cunard because we hate what has happened on Princess and we thought that Cunard was a better fit for us because we like to dress nicely and more formally. I don't know where we will go now because this trend seems to be so widespread. I suppose we will have to accept that we are getting older and the cruise lines are looking to the future where todays younger generation (MacDonalds supporters) will be the future and they do not like the formality.

They like to blame younger generations, however, in my experience, the younger generations are quite enthusiastic about the (nowadays) unique experience of dressing up. From what I've observed it's members of older generations that are sometimes the fiercest opponents of the few remaining occasions where it is possible to dress up.

Maybe because they've had many, many opportunities to experience the fun of dressing up on various occasions they're now over it? I don't know for sure, but it is possibly what drives their antagonism.

Rather selfish too, in my opinion. Sure, they've had the chance to enjoy the experience, but they would deny it to younger generations.

Perhaps now there is such a distinction between formal and non formal, and the statement that guests choosing not to dress formal are able to access other areas for dining, might just mean they will enforce the dress of the day in Britannia?

I've just been having fun working out some formal wear and more casual/ cocktail wear for my next trip and had them sorted into the 3 groups. Not sure what to do with the middle group now but at least that was my smallest group.

On a 23 day voyage with many sea days, how many formals would people anticipate?

I'd guess about six. You're looking at a three week voyage, so two formals a week would equate to about six formals. Which is shame, as the recent HK to Brisbane sector had about six formal nights.

My suggestion would be to still take the middle group as you'll enjoy the option of multiple outfits rather than just a few that you rotate. More fun that way.

They like to blame younger generations, however, in my experience, the younger generations are quite enthusiastic about the (nowadays) unique experience of dressing up. From what I've observed it's members of older generations that are sometimes the fiercest opponents of the few remaining occasions where it is possible to dress up.

Agreed. My three daughters aged 25 to 32 love getting dressed up. I do it, but with a degree of reluctance.

It's the baby boomers causing trouble, yet again:D.

Mary

Agreed. My three daughters aged 25 to 32 love getting dressed up. I do it, but with a degree of reluctance.

It's the baby boomers causing trouble, yet again:D.

Mary

School children also seem to have adopted the US import of the High School Prom with jaw dropping enthusiasm - and that involves quite a high degree of formal dressing.

J

The revised dress code is now available on the FAQ.

This got put up today.

EVENING DRESS CODES

1. Formal

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

The Ships will have the option on occasional nights - such as deck parties or where there is a high volume of late flight arrivals - to state in the daily programme that 'a jacket will not be compulsory this evening' - but that would be on a small number of occasions and we will not refer to this in any published Dress Code collateral.

DAYTIME WEAR

Stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine during the day on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and please note that swimwear must be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

All guests will be notified of the above revised policy in the printed Pre Voyage Documentation (if applicable) or on Voyage Personaliser. This will also be repeated in the Daily Programme once on board.

The revised Dress Code policy will come into affect as of the following voyages:

Queen Elizabeth - Q308 / Iberian Adventure / Sun 7 April 2013

Queen Victoria - V305 / Atlantic Isles Discover / Wed 1 May 2013

Queen Mary 2 - M304 / Westbound Transatlantic / Fri 26 April 2013

If there are not going to be semi-formal nights I will designate my own. I've bought the clothes and I'm going to wear them. I was having a problem deciding whether some of my outfits were more SF or EC, now I don't have to worry about it.

Good for you! I feel the same way. That red cocktail dress is NOT staying home! The line between SF and EC was always hard to figure, and much of what I packed for EC would have done for SF. I guess I took the dressiest SF outfits as SF and the less dressy as EC.

I wonder how this will work with the various WC parties. On our TA this past Nov, the diamond-platinum party was held on a SF night. I believe I saw someone post here recently that holding a party on a SF night was disappointing because people weren't as dressed up as on a formal night. SF for the party didn't bother me, as I thought we all looked lovely. But I wonder if the WC party would seem as festive if it's just EC.

The revised dress code is now available on the FAQ.

This got put up today.

EVENING DRESS CODES

1. Formal

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

The Ships will have the option on occasional nights - such as deck parties or where there is a high volume of late flight arrivals - to state in the daily programme that 'a jacket will not be compulsory this evening' - but that would be on a small number of occasions and we will not refer to this in any published Dress Code collateral.

DAYTIME WEAR

Stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine during the day on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and please note that swimwear must be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

All guests will be notified of the above revised policy in the printed Pre Voyage Documentation (if applicable) or on Voyage Personaliser. This will also be repeated in the Daily Programme once on board.

The revised Dress Code policy will come into affect as of the following voyages:

Queen Elizabeth - Q308 / Iberian Adventure / Sun 7 April 2013

Queen Victoria - V305 / Atlantic Isles Discover / Wed 1 May 2013

Queen Mary 2 - M304 / Westbound Transatlantic / Fri 26 April 2013

Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like "informal" for women is a combination of the old SF and EC. Glad to see that the cocktail dress is listed as an informal option. (Scrapnana and Salacia, I hope you haven't cleaned out your closets yet!) Not so sure about the rest. "Stylish separates" could be just about anything. I wonder where my velour tracksuit is... :eek:

Some of the new things include:

Shorts can be worn during the day in the restaurants. (So those people - and you know who you are - can stop having their digs at me :D)

Jeans are okay on Informal nights provided they are not blue or worn.

Some Informal nights they are going to allow the men to go sans jacket.

The below excerpt from the revised dress code makes it clear that guests who don't want to play ball on formal nights should not use areas of the ship except those specifically listed below.

On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

I think the above is a positive step and a good idea - those that don't want to go formal now have designated lounges in addition to the buffet restaurants.

Thanks for posting this.

It sounds like "informal" for women is a combination of the old SF and EC. Glad to see that the cocktail dress is listed as an informal option. (Scrapnana and Salacia, I hope you haven't cleaned out your closets yet!) Not so sure about the rest. "Stylish separates" could be just about anything. I wonder where my velour tracksuit is... :eek:

There's good and bad in this revised dress code. I like that they clearly state that people who don't want to dress up on formal nights should not use any areas of the ship except for those specifically listed.

It's clear to me that they are allowing jeans on Informal nights (provided they are not blue or worn). So that allows black & white for stylish people and the rest of the rainbow (except blue) for the stylistically challenged. Those that can dress themselves properly will probably look good (think Liz Hurley in her ubiquitous white jeans) whilst others will struggle not to look like the evening's roving entertainment.

You're right, stylish separates could be anything. Perhaps a grass skirt and some coconuts - but only whilst in 'warmer climates' of course. :eek:

Maybe because they've had many, many opportunities to experience the fun of dressing up on various occasions they're now over it? I don't know for sure, but it is possibly what drives their antagonism.

Rather selfish too, in my opinion. Sure, they've had the chance to enjoy the experience, but they would deny it to younger generations.

Very well said, there is however, another side to this. Those of us who still like the formal evenings, and I am one, find the choice limited to packing a bigger suitcase or renting onboard. Reason being, we are using QM2 as a ferry to SOTON enroute to our tourist type explorations of Britain. While I still pack the formal garb (not my kilt, no Skean Dhu= no kilt) I dislike carrying the big suitcase as I travel along streets broad and narrow. The Cunard rented kit is just that, close but no cigar when compared to one's own garb. I have used White Star with great results on boarding, but the return experience in Canada is dismal because of our "Himmler trained" border control agents being paranoid about what we might be bringing in using this procedure. I am thinking of packing my light bag and getting my togs pressed in NY prior to departing, thus cutting down on the suitcase stuff and shipping my formal stuff home by mail on arrival in UK since we fly back. So, for me there may be an answer, but for others this may seem tedious-and Cunard probably knows this, hence the change. See you dressed up onboard, like you should be, when someone troubles themselves to serve you well, until then, count the days down. Cheers:)

There's good and bad in this revised dress code. I like that they clearly state that people who don't want to dress up on formal nights should not use any areas of the ship except for those specifically listed.

It's clear to me that they are allowing jeans on Informal nights (provided they are not blue or worn). So that allows black & white for stylish people and the rest of the rainbow (except blue) for the stylistically challenged. Those that can dress themselves properly will probably look good (think Liz Hurley in her ubiquitous white jeans) whilst others will struggle not to look like the evening's roving entertainment.

You're right, stylish separates could be anything. Perhaps a grass skirt and some coconuts - but only whilst in 'warmer climates' of course. :eek:

Only if you can sing the "Honey Bun" song from South Pacific! :D :eek:

The dumbing down of the dress code policy, one of the most distinguishing and attractive features of Cunard for so many, is symptomatic of a larger direction in which the company is being taken.

As someone in one of the Cunard threads recently and quite astutely observed, follow the money and you will see where Cunard is going.

In attempting to tap into what Mr. Shanks has identified as "lucrative markets" and under his watch, the vessels have forfeited their British registry to allow for onboard weddings, food portions have been resized to reflect the wishes of a more health conscious public who prefer smaller portion and now the dress code has been dumbed down to attract luxury travelers who prefer a more casual holiday environment. In press releases and blogs, Mr. Shanks has made pronouncements such as these.

I understand that Cunard as a company exists in a very competitive environment and, therefore, must stay afloat and turn a profit for the parent company, Carnival. In following the money to that goal, Mr. Shanks may very well be increasing revenue - but at the expense of fatally damaging the culture of Cunard which distinguishes itself from less storied cruise lines.

Welcome to Cunard 2.0.

Seeing as how jeans (except blue or worn) are now okay to wear on informal nights, I thought I would post a few pictures to illustrate the expectations of the Fashion Police. Please the time to review these images and avoid the embarrassment of being singled out for a 'talking to' by one of our highly trained operatives. :D

Now I know we don't all look like models, actors and actresses (well I don't), but these outfits look very stylish and would compliment any informal night for the ladies.

i-SL3D7T6-L.jpg

i-kHwcRrG-L.jpg

i-7n5TTJQ-L.jpg

i-B6gsZTF-L.jpg

You'll have to ignore the trendy tears in the jeans with this outfit - but you get the general idea.

i-wZNn9LH-L.jpg

Cunard Ships are doing more cruises,which means more ports,so it's an more of a chore to dress formally after touring,beaching,scuba diving.

I can understand that. After a day on the beach on a Greek Island,I certainly

don't want to dress in formal attire for dinner.

Although I have heard that the Queen Elizabeth is a very formal ship. The passengers adhere to the dress code.

Seeing as how jeans (except blue or worn) are now okay to wear on informal nights, I thought I would post a few pictures to illustrate the expectations of the Fashion Police. Please the time to review these images and avoid the embarrassment of being singled out for a 'talking to' by one of our highly trained operatives. :D

Now I know we don't all look like models, actors and actresses (well I don't), but these outfits look very stylish and would compliment any informal night for the ladies.

You'll have to ignore the trendy tears in the jeans with this outfit - but you get the general idea.

Whitemarsh,

The models are too young by about 50 years. Please get with the Cunard program(me). :rolleyes:

B;)BBY

Cunard Ships are doing more cruises,which means more ports,so it's an more of a chore to dress formally after touring,beaching,scuba diving.

Although I have heard that the Queen Elizabeth is a very formal ship. The passengers adhere to the dress code.

They don't/didn't do formal nights when the ships are in port anyway. It was always elegant casual.

It's very rare to have a formal night after a day in port.

I've heard the beach comment before, more on other boards than on the Cunard board. And it always makes me wonder. After a day on the beach, regardless of what island port we're at, I wouldn't go directly to the dining room. I'll head back to my cabin to shower. Since I have to put on fresh clothes anyway, I don't see how dressing according to the day's dress code is such a burden.

(Unless you get a bad sunburn, in which case bathrobe and room service would be the plan for the evening.)

I see that as daywear, not evening wear (just my opinion). But under the new & "improved" dress code, those outfits do meet the Informal Dress Code. Considering the age demographic on Cunard ships, white skinny jeans and 3 1/2 inch heels would be quite a challenge for the average female passenger (not to mention any on-lookers!):eek::D

Whitemarsh,

The models are too young by about 50 years. Please get with the Cunard program(me). :rolleyes:

B;)BBY

Except for Liz & Bethany they're younger than me too. It's the 'look' and style that I'm trying to convey.

I'm not happy about the changes (most of them) either, but what can we do? I'm not going to P&O, that's for sure. I'm just hoping that Cunard passengers embrace this change as an opportunity to look just as good as they did on semi-formal and elegant casual nights - but in a different way.

Hopefully, people won't view this as a invitation to look like slobs and hobos and evenings on Cunard ships will still be as inspirational as they generally tend to be.

I've heard the beach comment before, more on other boards than on the Cunard board. And it always makes me wonder. After a day on the beach, regardless of what island port we're at, I wouldn't go directly to the dining room. I'll head back to my cabin to shower. Since I have to put on fresh clothes anyway, I don't see how dressing according to the day's dress code is such a burden.

(Unless you get a bad sunburn, in which case bathrobe and room service would be the plan for the evening.)

wow ,yes,that hurts ,I agree!!

Maybe some people just like a laid back cruise and go to dinner in shorts!

Although I agree with you about the dress code.

Me neither. It is tiring if you've been on a long shore tour, but a shower or a swim usually does the trick.

I see that as daywear, not evening wear (just my opinion). But under the new & "improved" dress code, those outfits do meet the Informal Dress Code. Considering the age demographic on Cunard ships, white skinny jeans and 3 1/2 inch heels would be quite a challenge for the average female passenger (not to mention any on-lookers!):eek::D

Yep, could be daywear. But as you say, it does meet the new Informal dress code for women. A 'dressy' top with sequins or something would probably give these outfits a more evening spin. The heels don't have to be 3 1/2 inch, but heels do help to give jeans a more polished look - in my opinion anyway.

They don't/didn't do formal nights when the ships are in port anyway. It was always elegant casual.

Interesting that you should say that as I was just looking at the new dress code for QM2 Voyage M321. Its a 12 night cruise with 4 formal nights, two of which are port days.

Interesting that you should say that as I was just looking at the new dress code for QM2 Voyage M321. Its a 12 night cruise with 4 formal nights, two of which are port days.

So that's after the date that they introduce the new dress code? Wow, that's different if that's the case.

As Salacia pointed out, thats not true. There are formal nights in port.

Bethany is a poor example to use as a model for cruise wear,since she doesn't do cruises. Also careful of using her picture without permission.

So that's after the date that they introduce the new dress code? Wow, that's different if that's the case.

Yes, it's a September cruise. BTW, dress codes for upcoming voyages has been "corrected" to reflect the change. Links to PDF files for all three ships can be found here https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Archived