Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

The part of the new dress code I dislike the most is that any jeans will be allowed. I don't care what color they are or whether you are (or look like) a supermodel, denim is just not smart enough.

Does that mean that jeans with holes and rips will be accepted, I have cruised with many companies and find the start of the cruise standards are strict but later in the cruise things are more relaxed.

Does that mean that jeans with holes and rips will be accepted, I have cruised with many companies and find the start of the cruise standards are strict but later in the cruise things are more relaxed.

No.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/cunard_dress

You are so right, look at what happened on Princess when they relaxed the dress code :

Informal means that you often now see shorts, teeshirts and flip-flops in the restaurant in the evening. The staff do not enforce the dress code because they have been told not to upset the passengers.

We moved to Cunard because we hate what has happened on Princess and we thought that Cunard was a better fit for us because we like to dress nicely and more formally. I don't know where we will go now because this trend seems to be so widespread. I suppose we will have to accept that we are getting older and the cruise lines are looking to the future where todays younger generation (MacDonalds supporters) will be the future and they do not like the formality.

It depends what you value most in a cruise I would give my vote to Princess for food above Cunard which is our priority for a cruise, big let down being all dressed up and then having tasteless food and offhand waiters.

I can't help but feel that this thread has generated a lot of emotional hyperbole!

Just because the Cunard dress code has been relaxed SLIGHTLY in regard to the (old) semi-formal nights (Formal and "elegant casual" essentially remain the same) does not mean that your next cruise will have Onslow onboard!! (and sitting at your table) :)

It also does not follow either automatically or even logically - that someone wearing "jeans" will come to the table or the bar straight from the potato patch on the farm!!

Who knows - some of those wealthy/celebrity types who now cruise with other more expensive cruiselines may indeed now come back to Cunard?? -- but do we want them to?? :D

Barry

I can't help but feel that this thread has generated a lot of emotional hyperbole!

Barry

Give it time they'll get used to it.

Remember the outrage over the new fitted carpets?

Is it time for a new smoking thread?

David.

Just because the Cunard dress code has been relaxed SLIGHTLY in regard to the (old) semi-formal nights (Formal and "elegant casual" essentially remain the same) does not mean that your next cruise will have Onslow onboard!! (and sitting at your table) :)

It also does not follow either automatically or even logically - that someone wearing "jeans" will come to the table or the bar straight from the potato patch on the farm!!

Who knows - some of those wealthy/celebrity types who now cruise with other more expensive cruiselines may indeed now come back to Cunard?? -- but do we want them to?? :D

Barry

While you believe the dress code has been changed only "slightly", the change to me is more than slight. The majority of nights on any voyage will be Informal. For males, perhaps that's not too much of a difference from what the previous dress code was since a jacket is still required (but tee shirts or polo shirts are ok - no collared shirt required).

However, for women, there is quite a difference between the old and new dress code. Basically, on the majority of evenings, women can wear just about anything, depending on one's personal definition of "stylish separates or equivalent". Semi-formal evenings which previously comprised 1/3 of the evenings on board are now dilluted and mixed with Informal (and what a mix of costumes it will be!) - and those evenings will constitute 2/3 of the nights on board. To my way of thinking, something that affects two-thirds of ambiance of the nights on board isn't slight. And for some of us, the ambiance of Cunard ships in the evening was a important aspect in choosing to sail with Cunard.

Basically, on the majority of evenings, women can wear just about anything,

As far as I can make out, the only basic change for men is that they no longer MUST take a tie to wear with their jacket(s).

And for women -- your statement above rings true to me and it has always seemed to me that women had/have much more "leeway" in what they choose to wear. I have noticed that, whereas there is a noticeable difference between what men wear on Formal nights and what they wear on the old "semi-formal" (now informal) nights, there is often very little difference for many of the women. Except sometimes by the amount of "glitz" on a womans' dress, it can be and is worn on both occasions. Hence as far as I can see there is even less change for women in this new scheme than there is for men (which is minimal) . :confused:

Barry

As far as I can make out, the only basic change for men is that they no longer MUST take a tie to wear with their jacket(s).

And for women -- your statement above rings true to me and it has always seemed to me that women had/have much more "leeway" in what they choose to wear. I have noticed that, whereas there is a noticeable difference between what men wear on Formal nights and what they wear on the old "semi-formal" (now informal) nights, there is often very little difference for many of the women. Except sometimes by the amount of "glitz" on a womans' dress, it can be and is worn on both occasions. Hence as far as I can see there is even less change for women in this new scheme than there is for men (which is minimal) . :confused:

Barry

Right, men are not required to wear a tie on Informal nights, nor are they required to wear a collared shirt as they were previously. Jackets still required every night, except on those rare occasions when they won't be required.

As far as there having been little difference between what women wore on Elegant Casual nights and Semi-formal nights, it seems our experiences differ. On the 10 or 11 QM2 voyages that I've experienced, there was a distinct difference in the way the overwhelming majority of women dressed on SF and EC nights.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm happy you feel the change is only slight - I really wish I felt the same, but I don't. I see this as a major erosion of Cunard's reputation. What the consequences will be remains to be seen.

it seems our experiences differ.

This could quite be so. I have been wondering for some time now whether some of the thoughts, writings, attitudes I have seen here are a result of different cruise experiences. For example, I have never done a TA - only "holiday" type cruises with Cunard (and a VERY short segment of a WC)

We recently did 2 x14 day cruises back to back on QV (to the Baltic) and QE (to the Med). One might have thought that these cruises would be quite "similar" - both leaving from Southampton at around the same time of year (even both having around 300 Aussies onboard - the same ones on both) . But the "atmosphere" on the two were VERY different - every Aussie I spoke to commented on it. We all preferred the cruise on the QV - it was much friendlier and livelier. The ONLY thing I could put this down to was the fact that the weather on the Baltic cruise was very poor and almost nobody ventured out onto the outer decks - whereas, two weeks later in the Med, the sun was out and many/most passengers (certainly the Brits who were the majority onboard) were outside around the pool sunning themselves. Sunning is not a particularly sociable activity and it reflected on the entire cruise. :confused:

Barry

As far as there having been little difference between what women wore on Elegant Casual nights and Semi-formal nights, it seems our experiences differ. On the 10 or 11 QM2 voyages that I've experienced, there was a distinct difference in the way the overwhelming majority of women dressed on SF and EC nights.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm happy you feel the change is only slight - I really wish I felt the same, but I don't. I see this as a major erosion of Cunard's reputation. What the consequences will be remains to be seen.

Salacia - couldn't agree with you more. :) But my original whinge wasn't totally about the changes - it was a lot to do with the ridiculously short notice - less than 3 weeks - for my particular voyage AND the fact that Cunard couldn't be bothered to let us know via email. It is assumed that we log in to Voyage personaliser every 5 minutes to see what has changed - and that is IF it is working!:(

Anyway, we shall just have to wait and see now..........I hope I am a "glass half full" person!:cool:

Salacia - couldn't agree with you more. :) But my original whinge wasn't totally about the changes - it was a lot to do with the ridiculously short notice - less than 3 weeks - for my particular voyage AND the fact that Cunard couldn't be bothered to let us know via email. It is assumed that we log in to Voyage personaliser every 5 minutes to see what has changed - and that is IF it is working!:(

Anyway, we shall just have to wait and see now..........I hope I am a "glass half full" person!:cool:

Hi Mysticalmother. I completely understand your being perturbed about the short notice and no direct communication from Cunard about the change.

I've been wondering why Cunard didn't give more lead time before the dress code change was put into effect:confused: Doesn't exactly inspire trust:(

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful cruise! :) Regards, -S.

While you believe the dress code has been changed only "slightly", the change to me is more than slight. The majority of nights on any voyage will be Informal. For males, perhaps that's not too much of a difference from what the previous dress code was since a jacket is still required (but tee shirts or polo shirts are ok - no collared shirt required).

Where does it say this please? All I can find is

Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

and

On Informal evenings, gentlemen will be required to wear a jacket but ties will be optional.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/cunard_dress

I think the code used to require a collared shirt on elegant casual nights. Now it doesn't specifically say this.

Don-Johnson-Sonny-Crockett-miami-vice-784292_268_400.jpg

Yes, the previous dress code for men did specify a collared shirt. Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of the word "shirt" the new Informal dress code description.

I think the code used to require a collared shirt on elegant casual nights. Now it doesn't specifically say this.

Don-Johnson-Sonny-Crockett-miami-vice-784292_268_400.jpg

I am looking at the Cunard glossy brochure titled CUNARD VOYAGES, Jan 2012 - April 2013.

There is no mention of shirts at all, collared or otherwise in the FAQ "What do I wear onboard" - in regards to any of the then three dress codes,- Formal, Semi-Formal and elegant casual. I guess that in regard to Semi-Formal, where a tie was required to be worn , one would "assume" that a man would have to wear a collared shirt to wear with a tie -- but there was no speciifc mention of shirts of any kind, be they long or short sleeved, Polo or t-shirt.

Barry

I am looking at the Cunard glossy brochure titled CUNARD VOYAGES, Jan 2012 - April 2013.

There is no mention of shirts at all, collared or otherwise in the FAQ "What do I wear onboard" - in regards to any of the then three dress codes,- Formal, Semi-Formal and elegant casual. I guess that in regard to Semi-Formal, where a tie was required to be worn , one would "assume" that a man would have to wear a collared shirt to wear with a tie -- but there was no speciifc mention of shirts of any kind, be they long or short sleeved, Polo or t-shirt.

Barry

No question that on the previous dress codes, collared shirt was specified on versions of the dress code on the Cunard website in the USA. Maybe Cunard felt it needed to be specified? At any rate, it isn't specified in the new Informal dress code. Hey let's ask Peter Shanks!

WOW! I just went back to check, and the old dress code has been recently revised for voyages before the new dress code takes effect! To quote:

"Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men

"Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the abovel..

Please note, we will shportly be introducing a change to our dress code poilcy. This is incorporated in the information above..." https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

This is all starting to get pretty funny - for fans of the Absurd!

I am looking at the Cunard glossy brochure titled CUNARD VOYAGES, Jan 2012 - April 2013. There is no mention of shirts at all, collared or otherwise in the FAQ "What do I wear onboard" Barry

Oh, dear--does that mean that this will now be acceptable?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG4YyWEWNulIc7K4tGrDSPg1pyQd9649859doPz5CCEYiNdg49FA

Hmmm....come to think of it, that might not be a bad thing...icon12.gif

I welcome the change - it's hardly the end of life as we know it. Same number of formals as before on my upcoming cruise, which seems to be the main concern (5 in 17 nights). No semi-formals, 12 informals. I shall combine exactly what I've worn in the past for semi/elegant casual but the waters are now less muddied and confused than before.

Two codes instead of three = greater simplicity but perhaps I'm dimmer than the rest of you.

Annie:)

Give it time they'll get used to it.

Remember the outrage over the new fitted carpets?

Is it time for a new smoking thread?

David.

You can easily combine the two topics - "are smoking jackets acceptable for the new informal nights?"

J

You can easily combine the two topics - "are smoking jackets acceptable for the new informal nights?"

J

Well - of course they would be -- so long as you are not actually smoking :D (or at least so long as you are not smoking in the wrong part of the ship)

Barry

No question that on the previous dress codes, collared shirt was specified on versions of the dress code on the Cunard website in the USA. Maybe Cunard felt it needed to be specified? At any rate, it isn't specified in the new Informal dress code. Hey let's ask Peter Shanks!

WOW! I just went back to check, and the old dress code has been recently revised for voyages before the new dress code takes effect! To quote:

"Semi formal evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men

"Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the abovel..

Please note, we will shportly be introducing a change to our dress code poilcy. This is incorporated in the information above..." https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

This is all starting to get pretty funny - for fans of the Absurd!

Salacia,

I'm not seeing any difference in what is currently stated for the dress code on the ask.cunard.com page that answers the question "Is there a dress code on board?" compared to what was previously stated there. Here is what that page said last year. This looks pretty much the same to me.

Formal
evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Semi formal
evenings would consist of an elegant dress, or smart trouser suit outfit for ladies, a smart shirt with tie and trousers with a blazer or sports jacket for men.

Elegant Casual
nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie.

I do note the new verbiage stating "Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above." I don't recall that being specifically mentioned previously in the answer to the question "Is there a dress code on board?", but that was, and still is, stated as the answer the the question "Is there a dress code for children?".

This information above from ask.cunard.com does provide more detailed information about the current dress code than has been provided in the Pre-Voyage Documentation, particularly with regard to mens' shirts. Here is all that the Pre-Voyage Documentation has stated for the dress code.

Formal
- Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or formal attire for ladies.

Semi-formal
- Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Elegant Casual
- Jacket required for gentlemen. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. Jeans are not permitted.

Once again, depending on where one looks, one can get different answers to the same question from Cunard. To be fair, in this case, one can get different answers that provide more or less detail depending on where one looks.

Regards,

John

I've found a message someone posted last year which says:

Elegant Casual nights require clothing such as stylish resort or leisure wear. Casual dresses or smart separates for ladies, open neck polo shirts and casual trousers (no jeans or shorts) for men. Jacket required but no tie. Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

There was no mention of having to wear a collared shirt there and I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a t-shirt in the restaurant in the evening. I think most people know what is required to wear.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1747235

This is some read. All this speculation and verbiage! Such melodrama!

Times will change. On Cunard I personally prefer formal nights, black tie, and in warm southern waters in season prefer a white dinner jacket. No matter the "code" I like women dressed appropriately, with men in neckties throughout the ship after six. But change is coming.

I lament the modern trend of authoritative men wearing open-collared shirts, no ties, shirt-tails out. I prefer the old Cunard dress-code. Formal meant black-tie. Semi-Formal meant a suit and tie. For many men with lives, Informal meant sport coat/blazer and tie. There was none of this nights of polo shirt only nonsense. First night out, and last night, men in sweaters could dine without jackets. There was none of this jeans nonsense, women in flats and any pants they could fit into masked by some glitzy top, no photos of men posted looking like tearsheets from gay fashion magazines but never Press or Brooks or I. Magnin, none of this wear shorts whenever you want to, "whatever makes you comfortable" nonsense as told to one and all here.

This new "code" coming up seems a nod to more casual days and nights on ship. Peter Shanks knows more and more today people do not want to dress up. The market he is after does not spend weeks at The Broadmoor or The Greenbrier or Camelback; he wants the ships running full. Cunard has*three ships to keep filled, it has to broaden its market. If management finds the desired market spending money often finds formality daunting and off-putting, comes the change!

Every Cunard voyage runs close to capacity; what, 30 or so of each load read this forum? The rest do not care about CC nor adherence to old ways or Fashion Police or old people fussing about standards. Because they go on maybe once every year or so, instead of four to six crossings and several cruises yearly, many here seem to feel themselves experts, and their over and over and over again posts, interesting. Not so to people Cunard wants to attract.

This hoo-hah because Cunard sets "Formal" nights three a crossing, two a cruise and all other nights "Informal" will pass. Soon no more the other confusing nomenclature for Semi-Formal, Informal, Elegant Casual nights nonsense. *As of April and ships returning to service from various world cruises, there are only two night-dress designations.... Formal and Informal. *We know Formal means gowns, black tie/tuxedo or dark suits for men. *Now the line is saying Informal means dressy for women; for men jackets are required and ties are optional. This has inflamed a few, the same dozen posters who are always posting. You know, those very pleased with themselves, comments too cute for words. It's all in good fun; is sometimes entertaining. Name a topic, they've thousands of posts. They've more time spent on the Internet than on Cunard. Too, this sort forgets: without Carnival there would be no Cunard today.

True "Loyal Cunarders" will continue to travel: on formal nights, women will dress in gowns, men in black tie; other nights will still see fine dress, perhaps dialed down a bit by those considered newcomers, but none will dress as if going to the new K-Mart in their area. I believe old-salts and strivers and those who enjoy dressing up will continue what they feel is the "standard" of dressing up whilst on Cunard. Anyone feeling uncomfortable or worried they are over-dressed … well, life's tough; yammering and posting over and over and over and over again on an Internet forum is not going to give you one.

All people new to Cunard will find out: dozens of posters making thousands of posts on an Internet forum do not make for authority. Sailing on Cunard is not a credential.

In this coming new era, on formal nights most women will know how to dress for the occasion; most men will suit up in tuxedoes or dark suits and wear ties; on informal nights men can wear a jacket and chose not to wear a necktie. Having fewer formal nights and giving men on ship an evening option of not wearing a tie is not the end of Cunard nor the world.

Archived