Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

Yes, it's a September cruise. BTW, dress codes for upcoming voyages has been "corrected" to reflect the change. Links to PDF files for all three ships can be found here https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Does your itinerary not have enough sea days for all the formal nights?

I wouldn't care to eat in any formal ship restaurant, or one on land for that matter, that allowed men to wear shorts in the evening - full stop.

If I'm in Tenerife and it's still 70 degrees in the shade, fair enough - but certainly not on board ship. You can eat in your room or in the buffet if you prefer to be casually dressed. If you prefer that as a norm then choose another cruise line, simple!

If Cunard let their standards, and their guard, down then the casual mavericks will ride roughshod all over them and the rest of us. The whole point of a "usp" is that it is a "usp" and distinguishes one provider from the rest.

The whole "country club casual" thing that Crystal and Oceania rely upon suits their style & clientele/demographic but Cunard can fill ships without resorting to this thin end of the wedge approach. The minute you dilute the threshold the is no turning back, it will only go further.

As Salacia pointed out, thats not true. There are formal nights in port.

Bethany is a poor example to use as a model for cruise wear,since she doesn't do cruises. Also careful of using her picture without permission.

Well it looks like there are going to be formal nights in ports now, going by what Salacia says. I hadn't experienced, or seen that previously.

Bethany wrote to me personally (it was a lovely letter - scented too) and granted permission for me to use her image in perpetuity.

Yes, it's a September cruise. BTW, dress codes for upcoming voyages has been "corrected" to reflect the change. Links to PDF files for all three ships can be found here https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all

Thanks, I just had a look at my next 'maybe' cruise and there are heaps of informal nights. :(

Well it looks like there are going to be formal nights in ports now, going by what Salacia says. I hadn't experienced, or seen that previously.

Bethany wrote to me personally (it was a lovely letter - scented too) and granted permission for me to use her image in perpetuity.

Thanks, I just had a look at my next 'maybe' cruise and there are heaps of informal nights. :(

That means wearing SHORTS for informal nights? Shorts can be stylish :cool:

I'm assuming the guys are just going to stick with this look for informal nights - all one billion of them (have you seen the new dress code PDF, there are so many).

i-MKJXDTK-L.jpg

i-89HhrPr-L.jpg

No big changes with the above two. But going by the new dress code, the below look is now acceptable (provided the jeans are not blue or 'worn').

i-C8scPVS-L.jpg

As will this on those nights they deem that jackets are not necessary.

i-BQQdbtp-L.jpg

PARTIAL QUOTE

No big changes with the above two. But going by the new dress code, the below look is now acceptable (provided the jeans are not blue or 'worn').

i-C8scPVS-L.jpg

:eek: You're right, that does meet the new Informal Dress Code. So I could be dressed in a cocktail dress while others at the table could be dressed like that:o

That means wearing SHORTS for informal nights? Shorts can be stylish :cool:

Only if there's trousers covering the shorts :D

"Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship..." copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/cunard_dress

PARTIAL QUOTE

:eek: You're right, that does meet the new Informal Dress Code. So I could be dressed in a cocktail dress while others at the table could be dressed like that:o

As it says nothing about having to wear a collared shirt, t-shirts under a jacket are fine. T-shirts have short sleeves so they meet the new informal dress code. It is going to be very different, as you may very well find yourself in a cocktail dress next to a man in a jacket, t-shirt and jeans.

But don't dress to someone else's (possibly lower) standards. This new informal dress code can look good, we all just have to make an effort - as I'm sure most of us on here do.

Hopefully, the guys will be interpreting the dress code in a stylish and trendy manner.

Something like these examples.

i-ktTd2HX-L.jpg

i-zRtH9N6-L.jpg

i-xpMfZg7-L.jpg

i-mbrScrP-L.jpg

Some people complained about the old dress code, but in some ways it was easier to conform and you had a rough idea what everyone else would be wearing. Less stressful I would have thought.

Thanks for that Salacia.

I just did a quick check of the previously published 2013 dress code schedule for the QM2 as compared to this newly published one. It looks to me like the schedules are identical except that all instances of "Semi Formal" and "Elegant Casual" have been replaced by "Informal".

Unless I have missed something, there are exactly the same number of formal nights as before and all the formal nights are scheduled on the same nights as before.

Concerning voyage M321, here are the details. This is the same as the previously published schedule except for "Informal" replacing "Semi Formal" and "Elegant Casual".

10-Sep-13 New York - Informal

11-Sep-13 Newport - Formal (Black & White Ball)

12-Sep-13 Boston - Informal

13-Sep-13 Bar Harbor - Informal

14-Sep-13 St John - Formal

15-Sep-13 Halifax - Informal

16-Sep-13 At Sea - Formal

17-Sep-13 Quebec - Informal

18-Sep-13 Quebec - Informal

19-Sep-13 At Sea - Informal

20-Sep-13 At Sea - Formal (Masquerade Ball)

21-Sep-13 At Sea - Informal

Cunard could have moved one of the two formal nights currently scheduled on ports days (either Newport or St John) to the sea day on Sep 19. Perhaps their logic was to spread out the formal nights so as not to have two formal nights in a row near the end of the voyage. That said, there are plenty of instances on other voyages where they have scheduled two formal nights in a row, so who knows?

Regards,

John.

[quote name=Whitemarsh;

Now I know we don't all look like models' date=' actors and actresses (well I don't), but these outfits look very stylish and would compliment any informal night for the ladies.

i-SL3D7T6-L.jpg

i-kHwcRrG-L.jpg

i-7n5TTJQ-L.jpg

i-B6gsZTF-L.jpg

You'll have to ignore the trendy tears in the jeans with this outfit - but you get the general idea.

i-wZNn9LH-L.jpg

Yes but this applies to men as well?

David.

Fame at last everyone - this discussion is quoted on the Daily Mail website in an article about Cunard passengers being angry at the changes! Some of you are 'named'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not to me. I think it would make more sense to to switch the one of the formal nights from a port day to a sea day.:rolleyes:

Good sleuth work, Salacia, in sludging through the morass of the "new and improved" website and posting the link to the revised dress codes.

The code for your cruise is truly bizarre. I agree with you that it would make more sense to switch the days.

We did the 7 day version of this port-intensive cruise last year in October. Oddly, we had formal nights after sailing from Newport and Halifax. We were in Princess Grill, and I recollect that the restaurant was quite empty on both nights. I think people were exhausted from the day ashore and just did not want the fuss and bother of dressing up.

I wonder what's coming next...

Bobby

Fame at last everyone - this discussion is quoted on the Daily Mail website in an article about Cunard passengers being angry at the changes! Some of you are 'named'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once again Peter Shanks has created yet another PR disaster.

Well spotted MawganTr and Salacia!

It would be lovely to think it might make a difference and prompt a rethink, but I'm not hopeful. It's all a bit tawdry the way they've done it, and makes Mr Shanks' answers on this board just a few weeks ago seem more than disingenuous.

The revised dress code is now available on the FAQ.

This got put up today.

EVENING DRESS CODES

1. Formal

Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen. A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal

Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

The Ships will have the option on occasional nights - such as deck parties or where there is a high volume of late flight arrivals - to state in the daily programme that 'a jacket will not be compulsory this evening' - but that would be on a small number of occasions and we will not refer to this in any published Dress Code collateral.

DAYTIME WEAR

Stylish casual-wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine during the day on board, in keeping with the ship's elegant surroundings. Swimsuits, micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the Spa and Fitness Centre and please note that swimwear must be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

All guests will be notified of the above revised policy in the printed Pre Voyage Documentation (if applicable) or on Voyage Personaliser. This will also be repeated in the Daily Programme once on board.

The revised Dress Code policy will come into affect as of the following voyages:

Queen Elizabeth - Q308 / Iberian Adventure / Sun 7 April 2013

Queen Victoria - V305 / Atlantic Isles Discover / Wed 1 May 2013

Queen Mary 2 - M304 / Westbound Transatlantic / Fri 26 April 2013

The highlighted part of your post, in red, would help staff direct those passengers who choose to disregard the dress code AWAY from the main dining room, etc. Surely more of an incentive for them to help maintain the decorum we enjoy?

It's all a bit tawdry the way they've done it, and makes Mr Shanks' answers on this board just a few weeks ago seem more than disingenuous.

To say the least. What I find most alarming is the outrageously short notice--the first few affected voyages on each ship are well past final payment date. Compare that with Crystal, which when changing their dress from three levels to two levels [plus one "black-tie optional" night per cruise] gave well over a half years notice. Now I cannot remotely consider changing my holiday this late in the game; who I really feel for are those booked on the two-day Soton-Hamburg sailings that bookend my Northern Highlights cruise. While a few past commenters have called those two days "glorified booze cruises" far more report that they use them as a rare chance to fit the Grills into their budget--or at least as a needed excuse to dust off their best evening wear for one night. Now those nights have been downgraded from semi-formal to informal. I still plan on wearing a dinner jacket and will be anxious to see how many others do as well (as opposed to how many will consider "no shorts, tank tops or blue denim" the maximum advice they need).

The highlighted part of your post, in red, would help staff direct those passengers who choose to disregard the dress code AWAY from the main dining room, etc. Surely more of an incentive for them to help maintain the decorum we enjoy?

You might think so but the codes are not enforced at the moment because in the event of a dispute between the crew member who has that unenviable task and a passenger there is no backing from more senior staff on board. I hardly see this changing so the slide will continue unfortunately.

The problem is that portion of the new code directing those who opt out to a few specific areas only applies on formal nights. The genuine fear is that other than on fomal nights Cunard will simply be another version of its corporate siblings in that, outside of the dining rooms, any attire will be deemed acceptable.

Archived