Cunard Dress Code change: Formal and Informal

Salacia

I totaly agree Brightwater- without Carnival Corp- there wouldn´t be any Cunard ship to sail on. They have to make money- and they do. Cunard, when they were still a single company failed to do so- they couldn´t make ends meet with QE2 and their smaller ships.

I still don´t get thy hype- there is still elegance left with Cunard.

Well, dear Dalyrymple- nice idea- but I fear not every man is built for that kind of outfit- me- certainly not. LOL!

Michael

This is some read. All this speculation and verbiage! Such melodrama!

Times will change. On Cunard I personally prefer formal nights, black tie, and in warm southern waters in season prefer a white dinner jacket. No matter the "code" I like women dressed appropriately, with men in neckties throughout the ship after six. But change is coming.

I lament the modern trend of authoritative men wearing open-collared shirts, no ties, shirt-tails out. I prefer the old Cunard dress-code. Formal meant black-tie. Semi-Formal meant a suit and tie. For many men with lives, Informal meant sport coat/blazer and tie. There was none of this nights of polo shirt only nonsense. First night out, and last night, men in sweaters could dine without jackets. There was none of this jeans nonsense, women in flats and any pants they could fit into masked by some glitzy top, no photos of men posted looking like tearsheets from gay fashion magazines but never Press or Brooks or I. Magnin, none of this wear shorts whenever you want to, "whatever makes you comfortable" nonsense as told to one and all here.

This new "code" coming up seems a nod to more casual days and nights on ship. Peter Shanks knows more and more today people do not want to dress up. The market he is after does not spend weeks at The Broadmoor or The Greenbrier or Camelback; he wants the ships running full. Cunard has*three ships to keep filled, it has to broaden its market. If management finds the desired market spending money often finds formality daunting and off-putting, comes the change!

Every Cunard voyage runs close to capacity; what, 30 or so of each load read this forum? The rest do not care about CC nor adherence to old ways or Fashion Police or old people fussing about standards. Because they go on maybe once every year or so, instead of four to six crossings and several cruises yearly, many here seem to feel themselves experts, and their over and over and over again posts, interesting. Not so to people Cunard wants to attract.

This hoo-hah because Cunard sets "Formal" nights three a crossing, two a cruise and all other nights "Informal" will pass. Soon no more the other confusing nomenclature for Semi-Formal, Informal, Elegant Casual nights nonsense. *As of April and ships returning to service from various world cruises, there are only two night-dress designations.... Formal and Informal. *We know Formal means gowns, black tie/tuxedo or dark suits for men. *Now the line is saying Informal means dressy for women; for men jackets are required and ties are optional. This has inflamed a few, the same dozen posters who are always posting. You know, those very pleased with themselves, comments too cute for words. It's all in good fun; is sometimes entertaining. Name a topic, they've thousands of posts. They've more time spent on the Internet than on Cunard. Too, this sort forgets: without Carnival there would be no Cunard today.

True "Loyal Cunarders" will continue to travel: on formal nights, women will dress in gowns, men in black tie; other nights will still see fine dress, perhaps dialed down a bit by those considered newcomers, but none will dress as if going to the new K-Mart in their area. I believe old-salts and strivers and those who enjoy dressing up will continue what they feel is the "standard" of dressing up whilst on Cunard. Anyone feeling uncomfortable or worried they are over-dressed … well, life's tough; yammering and posting over and over and over and over again on an Internet forum is not going to give you one.

All people new to Cunard will find out: dozens of posters making thousands of posts on an Internet forum do not make for authority. Sailing on Cunard is not a credential.

In this coming new era, on formal nights most women will know how to dress for the occasion; most men will suit up in tuxedoes or dark suits and wear ties; on informal nights men can wear a jacket and chose not to wear a necktie. Having fewer formal nights and giving men on ship an evening option of not wearing a tie is not the end of Cunard nor the world.

Hi Brightwaters. While I do not agree with most of your "speculations or verbiage", I respect your right to voice your opinons. May I ask that you also respect the opinons of others on this forum? While we discuss this change Cunard is taking, I see no need to insult or diminish the opinons of those with which we might disagree. If you chose to go down that road, it will get nasty. Is that what you want? Regards, -S.

Hi Brightwaters. While I do not agree with most of your "speculations or verbiage", I respect your right to voice your opinons. May I ask that you also respect the opinons of others on this forum? While we discuss this change Cunard is taking, I see no need to insult or diminish the opinons of those with which we might disagree. If you chose to go down that road, it will get nasty. Is that what you want? Regards, -S.

HI Salacia: as we know there are some who come here and like to"PUSH THE BUTTONS" You post is accurate,honest ,and RESPECTFUL . I WOULD JUST MOVE ON.

Al the best !:)

HI Salacia: as we know there are some who come here and like to"PUSH THE BUTTONS" You post is accurate,honest ,and RESPECTFUL . I WOULD JUST MOVE ON.

Al the best !:)

Ok, thanks turquoise. I hear you <chilling down> :) Regards, S.

HI Salacia: as we know there are some who come here and like to"PUSH THE BUTTONS" You post is accurate,honest ,and RESPECTFUL . ........

Turquoise...well put.

Borrowing (from my youth :-) the 'Yellow Pages' slogan from their 1970s ad campaign “Let your fingers do the walking"....

The great thing about an internet forum thread is if one does not like a topic/poster, one can just let their fingers do the walking right on by that thread and not subject themselves to (quote)"the same dozen posters who are always posting. You know, those very pleased with themselves, comments too cute for words."....or other subjects that are not to their liking. Wouldn't it be grand if the rest of life could be that stress-free!

My grandson is 'too cute for words' so great is his cuteness :D, however, if a comment is made (whether cute or otherwise) the words have been written so they can't be 'too cute for words', can they? :confused:

Without the regular posters (those who are always posting), there would be less knowledge and experiences shared for those of us who silently read for many years and rarely commented.

This board has 'fascinating' (interesting qualities; captivating) regular posters, who by their very words become like characters in a book. Each character brings something different to the board, shows a bit of who they are, some are good at getting their point across with very few words (wish I had that talent), others use many words, however, with very few exceptions, they are never rude. I miss those who post regularly and suddenly disappear, as the quality and wisdom they brought to discussions is now gone and that leaves a void. :(

There are many people on this board who are unfailingly polite and helpful and I thank them for being so and I thank Salacia for exhibiting that quality.

best regards,

seasidegal

CUNARD

Thank you for all your comments on our dress code. We are pleased to hear you're all so passionate about our formal nights and we wanted to ensure you all have the correct information.

We are renewing our commitment to special occasion dressing and want to reassure you that no changes are being made to our formal nights on board. These are part of our DNA and will continue to take place three times a week on Transatlantic Crossings and twice each week on sailings to the Mediterranean' date=' Scandinavia and beyond.

In response to growing travel trends among luxury travelers, on all other evenings, jackets will be required but ties will now become optional.

Our President and Managing Director, Peter Shanks wanted to share this message with you all:

“The glamour of dressing to the nines is a hallmark of travelling with Cunard, and distinguishes us from the mass of cruise operators where dressing up has become a thing of the past. In a world where everything seems to tend towards the casual, Cunard is proud to give passengers the opportunity to put on their best bib and tucker and bring an extra special sense of occasion to an evening at sea. On other nights, we aim to loosen the tie - making it optional - but we will still require men to wear a jacket.”

We hope this alleviates any worries you may have – there will always be a good excuse to wear a tuxedo or glamorous gown on board a Cunard cruise.[/quote']https://www.facebook.com/cunard

Do you think a jacket will be required whilst dining in the Alternative Lido restaurants in the evening. The dress code in these dining areas had been relaxed over the past couple of years but the new rules seem to imply that a jacket will now be required.

Do you think a jacket will be required whilst dining in the Alternative Lido restaurants in the evening. The dress code in these dining areas had been relaxed over the past couple of years but the new rules seem to imply that a jacket will now be required.

Yes a jacket has always been required in the alternative/speciality areas of the Lido/Kings Court.

What he doesn't seem to get is the changes from semi formal to informal. He doesn't address that (apart from no ties). The only thing that bothers me is that you seem to be able to wear jeans as long as they're not blue or worn.

Well that can't work. If you wear them then they must be worn. :D

J

The definition of jeans seems to have changed over the years. If a lady is wearing white jeans would anyone know, or rather would the MD in the dining room, know the difference? Or care.

David.

The definition of jeans seems to have changed over the years. If a lady is wearing white jeans would anyone know, or rather would the MD in the dining room, know the difference? Or care.

David.

David, what if the lady was wearing white shoes after Labor Day, would you care then?

Not familiar with Labor ( shouldn't that have a u in it somewhere ) Day, but probably not.

David.

No u, as it's a holday in the US. It's always the first Monday in September, providing one last long weekend before the summer vacation season is officially over. Traditionally, white shoes are worn only between Memorial Day (end of May) and Labor Day. Sneakers are exempt, BTW. In honor of my mother, to whom this mattered, I do confine my wearing of white shoes to the "correct" time.

I've also heard somewhere, maybe here on CC, that linen clothing should not be worn after Labor Day, but I have no authoritative info on that subject. (Which means Mom never mentioned that)

I see that as daywear, not evening wear (just my opinion). But under the new & "improved" dress code, those outfits do meet the Informal Dress Code. Considering the age demographic on Cunard ships, white skinny jeans and 3 1/2 inch heels would be quite a challenge for the average female passenger (not to mention any on-lookers!):eek::D

I couldn't help it Salacia................you made me laugh.............soooooooo very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all for casual cruising on the ships where it is appropriate and always said that suits are for weddings, funerals and job interviews until I cruised on QM2 and that set the standard for me. both my sons and I enjoyed putting on our tuxedo's and my wife dressed for Buckingham palace every night. We love the formal occasions and will miss "dressing up" most nights onboard as this is one of the reasons we choose Cunard but C'est la vie , we will go with the flow. On the less formal cruises I have to force myself to pack a tie as I think it's pointless dressing up whilst other diners are dressed for the gym or beach!

I am all for casual cruising on the ships where it is appropriate and always said that suits are for weddings, funerals and job interviews until I cruised on QM2 and that set the standard for me. both my sons and I enjoyed putting on our tuxedo's and my wife dressed for Buckingham palace every night. We love the formal occasions and will miss "dressing up" most nights onboard as this is one of the reasons we choose Cunard but C'est la vie , we will go with the flow. On the less formal cruises I have to force myself to pack a tie as I think it's pointless dressing up whilst other diners are dressed for the gym or beach!

Personally, I think it's important not to go with the flow. The changes to the dress code are actually quite minor when you really examine them. So, as Fifer has already said, the dress code should be regarded as a floor, not a ceililng. It is, I believe, important that "true" Cunard devotees dress up to their personal standards and not down to the new code. If sufficient people do that then there will be little visible change and little change in ambience. Just because jeans are "allowed" it doesn't mean that it's compulsory to wear them. Stay with Cunard and show others how they should dress. Dress to kill rather than merely to wound.

J

The way things are going, most are not going to know about the changes anyway. I have a booking for May, have heard nothing from Cunard or my travel agent, and the voyage personaliser still shows the old mix of semi-formal and good old elegant casual.

Mary

Have just seen that the online voyage personaliser for my June booking has now been changed to the new dress codes.

Will be interesting to see whether there will be much change to what people choose to wear in the evenings. I don't actually think so but time will tell!

Mine's been updated now as well; they must have read this thread:D.

No sign of my Q1 yet:(.

Mary

Nothing heard here either. But I expect Sir Peter is keeping it as a nice surprise and that we will be upgraded at check-in! :cool:

J

I am sorry but the reason I choose to cruise with Cunard is their dress code and the formality. I will continue to dress with cocktail dresses on the non-formal nights. It is my holiday and I am not going to lower my own standards. Hope some other people will feel the same.

For those of us who have been attempting to parse every nuance out of the new dress code policy, I notice one difference in what is now showing up in the Voyage Personaliser which may be of some interest.

First of all, here is an excerpt from what is found on ask.cunard.com concerning the new dress code policy which has been discussed previously.

On formal nights,
any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

This has naturally raised questions as to what the policy is on informal nights. Is anyone who wishes to dress more casually than the informal dress code (e.g. a gentleman who chooses not to wear a jacket) free to use all the public areas of the ship on informal nights?

However, when I take a look at the Voyage Personaliser here is an excerpt from what it states for the dress code.

Any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido main buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Note the phrase "On formal nights" has been omitted from this section of the new dress code policy as stated in the Voyage Personaliser.

Of course, this distinction probably does not really mean all that much in practice. As others have stated, the policy is worded more as a suggestion when it says "should not". And there is little or no attempt to enforce the current dress code policy in public areas of the ship such as the Royal Court Theatre anyway.

I'm just mentioning this for those that may not have seen this variation of the new dress code policy as stated in the Voyage Personaliser.

Regards,

John.

I am sorry but the reason I choose to cruise with Cunard is their dress code and the formality. I will continue to dress with cocktail dresses on the non-formal nights. It is my holiday and I am not going to lower my own standards. Hope some other people will feel the same.

It will be my first cruise for Q309 in a month and I was annoyed at only reading about this in the Telegraph on Thursday as I would have appreciated an email...and certainly a lot earlier as I've spent hours online searching for suitable clothing as I'm not the most formal woman normally. However, not going to let the changes stop me and I'll be enjoying wearing assorted frocks all trip long! My only slight variance will be that at least one of my cocktail dresses may be a little tight by the end :)

Archived