Booking Flight on Southwest

bala1130

I'm booked on the Allure of the Seas for Oct 13-20, 2013 and need a flight from Michigan. I looked at flying Southwest because of their free baggage and flexible change policy. Currently Southwest has a web only price that will work on Oct 12th for $136, but the return flight is showing $250 and higher. I was thinking about booking a 1-way ticket for the flight down now to lock that price and waiting to see if Southwest has any type of sale to get the return cheaper. Unlike other airlines, it doesn't look like Southwest jacks up the price for 1-way flights.

Anyone have experience with book flights this way on Southwest? My cruise is many months out, so I figure I have some time.

Because the SW release dates fell right between our cruise dates, we booked 2 one-way fares on our trip from Indy to FLL. On our flt down we booked with AirTran and snagged a deal at $146 pp direct flt. That is the lowest price it has been since booking. The flight back in an entirely different story. We booked the day SW released it's dates and paid $217 pp. It was not a direct flt but no plane change and the flight time was good so we went ahead and booked thinking that the rates would only go up from there. Well, the very next day, the rate dropped to $174 and has gone all the way down to $151..... and fluctuated all the way up to the next SW tier at $483 pp. SW issued us a credit per person to be used within one year of the booking date (not date of flight) The price of this flight seems to change almost on a daily basis based upon SW sales and promotions. $151 is the lowest it has been but I still check as you never know.

Personally, I would check every single day and book when it drops to a rate that fits your budget. I would then keep checking in order to receive any possible credits. Also, check and see if AirTran flys out of your home airport. Even though we will have to pay a luggage fee on AT, the rate was still too good to pass up and the direct flight and departure time fit in perfectly with our schedule.

Good luck.

:)

Because the SW release dates fell right between our cruise dates, we booked 2 one-way fares on our trip from Indy to FLL. On our flt down we booked with AirTran and snagged a deal at $146 pp direct flt. That is the lowest price it has been since booking. The flight back in an entirely different story. We booked the day SW released it's dates and paid $217 pp. It was not a direct flt but no plane change and the flight time was good so we went ahead and booked thinking that the rates would only go up from there. Well, the very next day, the rate dropped to $174 and has gone all the way down to $151..... and fluctuated all the way up to the next SW tier at $483 pp. SW issued us a credit per person to be used within one year of the booking date (not date of flight) The price of this flight seems to change almost on a daily basis based upon SW sales and promotions. $151 is the lowest it has been but I still check as you never know.

Personally, I would check every single day and book when it drops to a rate that fits your budget. I would then keep checking in order to receive any possible credits. Also, check and see if AirTran flys out of your home airport. Even though we will have to pay a luggage fee on AT, the rate was still too good to pass up and the direct flight and departure time fit in perfectly with our schedule.

Good luck.

At Southwest.com Air Trans flights are now show up when searching. The flight I booked at Southwest.com is an Air Trans flight. And I do get 2 free checked bags.

I'm booked on the Allure of the Seas for Oct 13-20, 2013 and need a flight from Michigan. I looked at flying Southwest because of their free baggage and flexible change policy. Currently Southwest has a web only price that will work on Oct 12th for $136, but the return flight is showing $250 and higher. I was thinking about booking a 1-way ticket for the flight down now to lock that price and waiting to see if Southwest has any type of sale to get the return cheaper. Unlike other airlines, it doesn't look like Southwest jacks up the price for 1-way flights.

Anyone have experience with book flights this way on Southwest? My cruise is many months out, so I figure I have some time.

I have used Southwest many times. I have found that waiting to get a better price don't work that well. Usually, the price goes up the closer to the fly date.

Also, if many cruisers are also using SW, it may sell out.

At Southwest.com Air Trans flights are now show up when searching. The flight I booked at Southwest.com is an Air Trans flight. And I do get 2 free checked bags.

Yes they are but when we booked last fall, it was not an option, unfortunetly.

Do it all the time. In fact, just a couple weeks ago I was booking a flight and the outbound flight had no wanna get away left. Booked the return. A couple days later checked on the outbound and there were wanna get away prices back on. Booked it (obviously).

Archived