Traveling Internationally With Prescription Meds

Von2cruz

According to Air New Zealand information on their website they say to have prescription meds in the original bottles with name etc. We are both on several prescription meds and unfortunately some of the bottles are large because we get a 90 day supply at a time . Has anyone had problems putting them in those weekly med containers instead of the original bottles when going through checkpoints ? We have not while traveling in the US , but wondered about it for international travel. Please share if you have any advice. These are not controlled medications such as narcotics.

This is discussed often on these forums.

I will not risk having our medications seized at an airport and discarded. We must have them and would have to return home were we without them. Thus, we carry those medications which we must have in original pharmacy provided bottles. I'd rather just use the weekly pill holder but I wait until we are on the ship to set up our pill cases.

I personally have seen security at airports discard pills carried out of pharmacy holders. Whether they 'can' or not, whether they should or not is not a fight I wish to have. I avoid the chance for a problem.

There are others who will not agree with me and that is fine. I am not willing to take the risk.

All our meds are carried in original pharmacy containers, and we get 3 months at a time as well. It's a pain, but better than taking the chance of having your meds disposed of. And I have seen that happen.

I will not risk having our medications seized at an airport and discarded. We must have them and would have to return home were we without them. Thus, we carry those medications which we must have in original pharmacy provided bottles. I'd rather just use the weekly pill holder but I wait until we are on the ship to set up our pill cases.

I personally have seen security at airports discard pills carried out of pharmacy holders. Whether they 'can' or not, whether they should or not is not a fight I wish to have. I avoid the chance for a problem.

There are others who will not agree with me and that is fine. I am not willing to take the risk.

We do exactly the same as you, Sail. Don't want to take any chances.

Is it possible to have your pharmacist put them in smaller, prescription bottles?

Often the 90-day supplies are done via mailorder and a few years ago when last I tried to get them to fill it smaller bottles they said it could not be done. Now with my current prescription plan I get it filled at a local CVS and I know the people, I am sure if I ask they will fill it is smaller containers (I have not had to do that for international travel in a while). It seems they tend to now fill most of my 90-day prescriptions with 3 30-pill bottles from the manufacturer.

They will dispose of your pills if they are not properly labelled - probably. And rather than risk it, perhaps, as Boytjie suggests, see if your pharmacy will package you up enough for your trip in small bottles. I have put a few things in unmarked bottles, but only vitamins, etc., that I can easily replace if they are taken away from me. In fact, I think I will just pack them deep in my suitcase and hope for the best! My prescriptions will be properly labelled and in my purse. I won't even put them in my handbag.

I have to carry around rather odd shaped prescription items. Large container of salves, lotions, whatnot...in addition to 90 supply container of pills. Last trip thru TSA, an agent explained that as long as all the various items were in a clearly labled prescription container from pharmacy, no problem.

Our son has type I diabetes. I have a letter from doctor saying such and all he is required to travel with.

However, he is in a doulble blind research study and is XY1234. He has insulin pens, a vial of the bedtime basal dose, and test strips all labeled as such. Any suggestions for when we go to Europe this summer?

Going through an airport once about a year or two ago, a TSA Agent opened my rollaboard for whatever reason. He saw a ziploc with my pharmacy prescription bottles and said "good thing you have those in pharmacy bottles or you could have had a problem". That is a quote.

Our son has type I diabetes. I have a letter from doctor saying such and all he is required to travel with.

However, he is in a doulble blind research study and is XY1234. He has insulin pens, a vial of the bedtime basal dose, and test strips all labeled as such. Any suggestions for when we go to Europe this summer?

I take it your concern is your son's name is not on the Rx?

Don't complicate it for security people anywhere.

Double blind study or not, presumably he is getting whatever prescriptions he takes from a pharmacy? Or from his doctor's office?

You say you have a letter from his doctor identifying all the medications he needs to travel with and that is good and one would think son's name is on the letter. If the doctor has identified the medications, that should be sufficient.

IMO, he should travel with those items using the packaging that they were in when he received them from pharmacy or physician.

Security people don't have any interest in double blind studies and too much information is likely irrelevant to their job of security checks.

I take it your concern is your son's name is not on the Rx?

Don't complicate it for security people anywhere.

Double blind study or not, presumably he is getting whatever prescritions he takes from a pharmacy? Or from his doctor's office?

You say you have a letter from his doctor identifying all the medications he needs to travel with and that is good and one would think son's name is on the letter. If the doctor has identified the medications, that should be sufficient.

IMO, he should travel with those items using the packaging that they were in when he received them from pharmacy or physician.

Security people don't have any interest in double blind studies and too much information is likely irrelevant to their job of security checks.

He gets it from the doctor's office. It is labeled with his study participant # yet no name. It says on it Lilly insulin gargline and new drug--limited to investigational use.

Hope we don't have a problem.

Becky,

The only 'hang up' is that in this computer age when techie people can print anything they want on a computer, it isn't like the 'old days' when a doctor's letter held weight. Today anyone can create any letterhead they want and write anything they want on it. A TSA person has no way to know it is legitimate.

I don't really see you having a problem but there is a bit of wiggle room there. IMO

According to Air New Zealand information on their website they say to have prescription meds in the original bottles with name etc. We are both on several prescription meds and unfortunately some of the bottles are large because we get a 90 day supply at a time . Has anyone had problems putting them in those weekly med containers instead of the original bottles when going through checkpoints ? We have not while traveling in the US , but wondered about it for international travel. Please share if you have any advice. These are not controlled medications such as narcotics.

I've not read the thread beyond Sail7Seas response to you, which was 100% correct.

Now, let me give you a little more first hand experience info on taking large quantities of medications.

1. You can take them and as Sail says, they MUST be in their original prescription bottle.

2. Prescription Medications, as well as ALL prescribed medical supplies are NOT counted as baggage!!

3. Have a dedicated carry on bag for all medical supplies, including medicines. When you are checking in make sure that you let them know that the bag is medical. You will not be charged because it is a federal law (possibly International as well...Not sure of that though, so double check) that the airlines cannot charge a fee of any sort for your medical supplies.

As an aside, I also place my denture cup, my denture cream (full sized tube), denture brush and denture cleanser tablets in my medicine carry on and have never had a problem. I let TSA know that they are in there and they've never taken them:)

Joanie

We take your approach with prescription meds. For OTC drugs that can be easily replaced and are bought in Costco sized containers, I use labeled Zip Loc bags to pack them in.

I take the added precaution of having a doctor's note on her prescription form stating that my controlled substance is needed for migraine headaches.

When we are aboard the ship all our meds are kept in the safe.

From the TSA website:

Search Results For:

prescription medicine not in original bottles

Check or Carry-on

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to security officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to facilitate the security process.

You may carry non-medically necessary liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

and

What to Expect If a Passenger Needs Medication

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

Passengers are allowed to bring medications in pill or other solid form through security screening checkpoints in unlimited amounts, as long as they are screened.
TSA does not require passengers to have medications in prescription bottles, but states have individual laws regarding the labeling of prescription medication with which passengers need to comply.

Passengers should inform officers of medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Medication is usually screened by X-ray; however, if a passenger does not want a medication X-rayed, he or she may ask for an inspection instead. This request must be made before screening begins.

The passenger will be responsible for displaying, handling, and repacking the medication if an inspection is requested. If the medication cannot be cleared visually, it will need to be X-rayed and may be subject to additional screening, including explosive trace detection screening.'

(Emphasis is mine)

I travel 40000 plus air miles a year, mostly in the US but some international. Never had a problem with my med boxes. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that it hasn't happened.

I too have traveled for many years now with a purse load of medicines that I require to travel. I make sure they are all in their correct bottles with my name on each. That said, I have never been questioned about the medicines at all here or aboard. That said, at times I joke that I look like a walking pharmacy.:rolleyes: I do not carry an liquid prescriptions, so I don't know if that would be something that would cause them to take a further look.

That is not to say that I haven't been selected for further search from TSA as most that travel more than a bit have been. They have selected me for further search, and they just open the med bag, gave it the most brief of looks, didn't look at the meds or the names on the meds, and sealed it again without a word or question.

A big thanks to Joanie, I didn't realize my meds could be in another bag and not be considered "baggage" for my carry ons. I frequently have had that be the bulk of my carry on space, as I was unaware that it might be exempt from the requirements!

I did extensive research into this before our Australia/NZ trip last November. Those two countries are VERY VERY strict about what comes in. Very! Did I mention they are very strict? Most pharmacies will give you a "travel bottle" for your prescriptions. It has your label on it, but it's generally empty and you can fill it with your meds to take with you.

We complied completely, and nobody asked and nobody looked. Would I take the chance next time? Not on your life.

Archived