Traveling Internationally With Prescription Meds

Von2cruz

We actually entered Spain after initially entering the EU in London. We went through all sorts, at least two maybe three, TSA-like screenings in Heathrow. Both Mrs. K and I have our prescribed meds, though none controlled, that we carry in their pharmacy provided plastic bottles/containers. Not once we were asked about them nor did security ever pull them out and look at the prescriptions. In Spain all they did was take a quick look at our passports since we obviously didn't have EU documents. No screening or bag search. On the way home out of Istanbul there were two screening stops then two more in London and finally Customs and Immigration in Dallas and still no issues. We feel pretty comfortable taking our meds with us but always make sure we keep them in their original containers.

I went to the drugstore and got empty prescription bottles and packed what I needed in those. I had my doctor print off my medicines and then had him sign the note. We had no problem when we traveled this year to Australia, New Zealand and Auckland. We also transited through Seoul and Beijing.

According to Air New Zealand information on their website they say to have prescription meds in the original bottles with name etc. We are both on several prescription meds and unfortunately some of the bottles are large because we get a 90 day supply at a time . Has anyone had problems putting them in those weekly med containers instead of the original bottles when going through checkpoints ? We have not while traveling in the US , but wondered about it for international travel. Please share if you have any advice. These are not controlled medications such as narcotics.

I have traveled all over the world and have never had a problem carrying my meds in little plastic bags. I make up a packet for each day. I'm sure there is that odd time when it might be a problem but I haven't experienced it yet.

I've not read the thread beyond Sail7Seas response to you, which was 100% correct.

Now, let me give you a little more first hand experience info on taking large quantities of medications.

1. You can take them and as Sail says, they MUST be in their original prescription bottle.

2. Prescription Medications, as well as ALL prescribed medical supplies are NOT counted as baggage!!

3. Have a dedicated carry on bag for all medical supplies, including medicines. When you are checking in make sure that you let them know that the bag is medical. You will not be charged because it is a federal law (possibly International as well...Not sure of that though, so double check) that the airlines cannot charge a fee of any sort for your medical supplies.

As an aside, I also place my denture cup, my denture cream (full sized tube), denture brush and denture cleanser tablets in my medicine carry on and have never had a problem. I let TSA know that they are in there and they've never taken them:)

Joanie

Thanks , this was very helpful. I was worried about the larger backpack I would need for the meds in addition to the other carry on. It helps to know that they won't count this against baggage allowance . I can't have them put in smaller bottles because we get them from the AF base, my husband is retired military. They do them in 90 day supplies.

This is discussed often on these forums.

I will not risk having our medications seized at an airport and discarded. We must have them and would have to return home were we without them. Thus, we carry those medications which we must have in original pharmacy provided bottles. I'd rather just use the weekly pill holder but I wait until we are on the ship to set up our pill cases.

I personally have seen security at airports discard pills carried out of pharmacy holders. Whether they 'can' or not, whether they should or not is not a fight I wish to have. I avoid the chance for a problem.

There are others who will not agree with me and that is fine. I am not willing to take the risk.

This is now the third time I've tried to reply to your post, so if posts more than once that is why . Thanks for your input , it was very helpful. I was worried about taking a large backpack ( instead of a purse) in addition to my other carry on . Someone else said you could have a separate bag that they don't count against our allowance , so that relieves some pressure . Now we both have large gallon size bags , which is ridiculous because some of it we only need occasionally for migraines etc, but if you are spending all this money you sure don't want to feel crappy on your trip.

The OP asked about New Zealand and I haven't noticed a post with their rules which are at http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/miet/medintonz.asp:

Importing Medicines

Bringing medicines into New Zealand on your person or in your luggage

If you are arriving into New Zealand and carrying prescription medicines either on your person or in your luggage you must ensure:

You declare the possession of those medicines on your incoming passenger arrival card which is lawfully required, and inspected, by the New Zealand Customs Service; and

You have a copy of the prescription from your doctor or a letter from your doctor stating that you are being treated with the medicine(s), and

You carry the medicine(s) in their original containers, and

You have sufficient quantity not exceeding three months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in six month quantities)

All other medicines including herbal medicines, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines may be imported without the above documentation. Over the counter medicines can be imported only if they are for individual use or for a member of your immediate family. Please note that anything in your possession that might be considered as a prescription medicine or controlled drug must be declared on your incoming passenger arrival card. If in doubt, declare it.

--------------------------------------

Yes, some people do remove their medications from the original packaging and have no problems. But others will have problems. Australia and New Zealand are very strict about what you can bring into their country.

I always check what the rules are for the countries I am travelling to. On one occasion I had to get a letter from the health department of that country approving me bringing a particular medication in, and that was before I was allowed to apply for a visa. Another country was stricter, and wanted authorisation from the Australian government and then their government would consider each medication at $60 each. The rules vary, and you need to decide what level of risk you are happy with.

Michelle.

Thanks MissShelllly.

Fixed link:

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/miet/medintonz.asp

Note the requirement for a copy of the prescription or doctor's note.

Having to have a prescrip copy or a letter from the doctor would be a pain. Most of us nowadays, especially us seniors, have several or more doctorS and our prescriptions now are faxed from doctor's office straight to pharmacy. So there isn't a paper prescrip one could copy before turning into the pharmacy to keep in a travel file for when one is going on vacation.

Having to have a prescrip copy or a letter from the doctor would be a pain. Most of us nowadays, especially us seniors, have several or more doctorS and our prescriptions now are faxed from doctor's office straight to pharmacy. So there isn't a paper prescrip one could copy before turning into the pharmacy to keep in a travel file for when one is going on vacation.

Not just seniors ;) I would need letters from 3 doctors. :eek:

The OP asked about New Zealand and I haven't noticed a post with their rules which are at http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/consumers/miet/medintonz.asp:

Importing Medicines

Bringing medicines into New Zealand on your person or in your luggage

If you are arriving into New Zealand and carrying prescription medicines either on your person or in your luggage you must ensure:

You declare the possession of those medicines on your incoming passenger arrival card which is lawfully required, and inspected, by the New Zealand Customs Service; and

You have a copy of the prescription from your doctor or a letter from your doctor stating that you are being treated with the medicine(s), and

You carry the medicine(s) in their original containers, and

You have sufficient quantity not exceeding three months supply for prescription medicines (with the exception of oral contraceptives which can be supplied in six month quantities)

All other medicines including herbal medicines, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines may be imported without the above documentation. Over the counter medicines can be imported only if they are for individual use or for a member of your immediate family. Please note that anything in your possession that might be considered as a prescription medicine or controlled drug must be declared on your incoming passenger arrival card. If in doubt, declare it.

--------------------------------------

Yes, some people do remove their medications from the original packaging and have no problems. But others will have problems. Australia and New Zealand are very strict about what you can bring into their country.

I always check what the rules are for the countries I am travelling to. On one occasion I had to get a letter from the health department of that country approving me bringing a particular medication in, and that was before I was allowed to apply for a visa. Another country was stricter, and wanted authorisation from the Australian government and then their government would consider each medication at $60 each. The rules vary, and you need to decide what level of risk you are happy with.

Michelle.

Oops!!! I thought I'd read "Australia" duh..........Thank you for giving the New Zealand link:)

Glad to see someone read the correct Country!!:)

OP I do apologize for giving you the US and Australian policies/links........:o

Joanie

This is now the third time I've tried to reply to your post, so if posts more than once that is why . Thanks for your input , it was very helpful. I was worried about taking a large backpack ( instead of a purse) in addition to my other carry on . Someone else said you could have a separate bag that they don't count against our allowance , so that relieves some pressure . Now we both have large gallon size bags , which is ridiculous because some of it we only need occasionally for migraines etc, but if you are spending all this money you sure don't want to feel crappy on your trip.

There are so many of us who carry medications and we must have them. It's good to know we can carry them in the most 'compliant' way to assure they will not be confiscated and yet still be able to take a normal carryon for our other valuables/necessities. We also bring some 'just in case' medications. We may or may not need them but want to have them if needed.

:) So far as I can see, your response only posted once.

For those who think using pharmacy bottle is not necessary, fine. Easy. Put your medications in ziplocs and go on your way. We all make choices everyday. We all hope those choices work out well.

Safe, healthy travels everyone.

Indeed. I call attention to it so OP is aware of the New Zealand requirement.

I didn't bring a paper prescription but instead my primary care doctor has a list of what medicines I am taking (you know when you go in and they ask what you are taking, they keep a record of that). He then printed it out and signed it. We are also retired military and I did not want to bring the 90 bottle with me so I got empty pharmacy bottles, wrote with a sharpie what was inside and carried the letter from the doctor.

I do not remember seeing the question on the immigration paper what meds we were bringing in to NZ though we did enter from the cruise.

Notwithstanding the regulations, we have been travelling for six months Europe, Africa, US, Central America, US, etc.

Not once were we asked about our prescription meds. And we carried enough for an eight month supply...at least at first.

There was more concern on whether we had a bottle of water. But, our prescriptions were pretty run of the mill-no controlled substances. There was even less attention to the OTC meds.

I would not be too worried unless your meds are controlled and have 'street' value.

Indeed. I call attention to it so OP is aware of the New Zealand requirement.

Thank you for posting this. We will have to get he doctor notes for the trip, which we did not know , assuming the pharmacy labels with directions were sufficient . My husband is diabetic, so he has to carry a bunch of syringes which he has prescriptions for , and he was a little worried about them being taken , but the doctor letter should help.

I didn't bring a paper prescription but instead my primary care doctor has a list of what medicines I am taking (you know when you go in and they ask what you are taking, they keep a record of that). He then printed it out and signed it. We are also retired military and I did not want to bring the 90 bottle with me so I got empty pharmacy bottles, wrote with a sharpie what was inside and carried the letter from the doctor.

I do not remember seeing the question on the immigration paper what meds we were bringing in to NZ though we did enter from the cruise.

This is a good idea, we will get our doctor to do this . My husband has to take syringes for his insulin so he was worried about those. We will be arriving by plane and embarking in Auckland , so it might but it might different in that case.

I have never had a problem giving patients extra bottles or labels for their prescriptions, for travel or any other reason. Prescription medications should always be stored in original label containers. If your Pharmacist cannot or will not give you extra labled containers, its time to find a new Pharmacist!

I have never had a problem giving patients extra bottles or labels for their prescriptions, for travel or any other reason. Prescription medications should always be stored in original label containers. If your Pharmacist cannot or will not give you extra labled containers, its time to find a new Pharmacist!

We get our prescriptions on the base , my husband is retired AF and if we had thought about it we might have asked, but Im not sure they would do this . It is a forty mile trip to the base, so at this point we will take the big bottles. Next time we may ask for smaller ones , to make it less cumbersome.

I have been reading this thread even though I don't have prescriptions...I thought. I am flying to Europe today, and yesterday fell and cracked a bone in my arm. Voila: vicodin and prescription Motrin. I'm glad a read the whole thread!

Oh no, so sorry you hurt yourself . I'm glad you got some good information though. My husband told me last week I couldn't get on any step stools etc, until after our trip( we leave in four days ) .I am short so I can never reach anything . It's really a terrible time for something like that to happen, but there is never a good time . I hope it heals quickly and you don't have too much pain.

We travel worldwide with our Meds and we often carry quite a few in larger containers since we take long trips. We do have them in pharmacy containers that are labeled by the pharmacy. Have never had an issue in any country and honestly no longer give it a second thought. We do keep all of our Meds in clear plastic ziplock bags and always have them readily available in our carry-on.

Hank

Did have my Rxs in my original bottles from the pharmacy...and this one "guard" wanted to see a note from my doc regarding these meds. (Did not have that!) Well...I asked him to double check my ID vs the name on the bottles...told him I HAD to have these in order to live (just a WEE bit of drama) and he let me pass!

Only time I've ever had that problem....but you just never know....I think the most important thing...as many have suggested...is to carry them in your original bottles...I know it's bulky...(at least with as many as I take) but I carry mine in a big "purse" so they don't take up room in the carry on...and are easily available if there is a question! Since I also have eye drops I put those in my plastic bag and put those in the "bins". LuAnn

Well, in the state of Georgia it is illegal to have prescription medicines unless they are in the original, labeled, container. The meds I get from the pharmacy in the original manufacturer container all have a label on them. I've gone so far as to cut the label off the box my inhaler comes in and keep it in my purse with the inhaler. I've personally known two people stopped for traffic violations who ended up handcuffed and taken away in a patrol car because of unlabeled meds. In both cases, they put a prescribed narcotic in their pocket to take at work -- so they wouldn't be driving under the influence. I'm not sure if the police would have been so hands on if they'd had their prescription antacid or blood pressure medicine, but both ended up paying fines of around $1000.00 plus court costs... They ain't kidding around here...

Other than inhalers and lidocaine patches I never take my medications out of their labeled containers... I also keep a list of my prescriptions signed by my doctor in my purse, just in case.

Archived