Airline boarding passes

Gail in California

if you have bags to check, having a boarding pass pre printed is really no big thing or great advantage. Printing your own only works when you have only carryon.

I have yet to go on a cruise with just a carryon... I thus don't preprint anymore...

if you have bags to check, having a boarding pass pre printed is really no big thing or great advantage. Printing your own only works when you have only carryon.

I have yet to go on a cruise with just a carryon... I thus don't preprint anymore...

Not necessarily so. Often there are separate lines/sections for those that are only dropping luggage (and have boarding passes) that are shorter than checking in lines.

However, often you cannot print a boarding pass for international flights as they need to see/scan your passport at the time of check in.

So it all depends on the circumstances.

with international flights they are going to re-print your computer generated ones Has this in Kona, Buenos Aires and Lima recently.

Paul is most correct Passport, Reservation # is what they want. No fast track past that even for top frequent flyers and first class.

I am going out on a limb , but I suspect most of you are going on a cruise from or to a foreign port... Not many cruises departing from Denver or Atlanta

I have not seen a bag drop except for domestic...sky cap with UAL .

Thanks for the info about the concierge printing the passes for you.

I was about to answer that we'd never had a problem but then I remembered that we've never flown home straight from the ship! But we will be doing so in Rio next December, and so that will be handy to know.

Mura

Thanks for the info about the concierge printing the passes for you.

I was about to answer that we'd never had a problem but then I remembered that we've never flown home straight from the ship! But we will be doing so in Rio next December, and so that will be handy to know.

Mura

It might be an interesting point of information, but I can't see that it will do you any good Mura, as you will have to Check In at the Airport anyway to show your passport and get the cases sorted.

Flying Domestic with carry-ons only, I'd pre-print the Passes, otherwise why bother?

Simply because I always like to have the preprinted passes! It's true that they are always discarded for the airline's version, but then I don't have to remember the number, etc.

Or maybe it's just habit!

I hate the airport procedures so anything that I THINK makes it easier, becomes easier ...

OTOH, if I don't get around to chatting up the concierge, I won't have to worry. I think we're going to be at the airport WELL in advance of our 10pm flight. We have a full day tour which will probably get us there by 6, if not earlier.

Mura

Totally wrong... Depends where they are going to and what airline.

Many airlines at LHR will have bags only drop off and allow for internet checkin. Those that allow WEB check in for LHR do not need your passport scanned as they have already have it in their system from your departure or on file.

Some airlines at LHR have a Kiosk where you can do the same and scan your passport then you go to the bag drop off.

For US flights the real CBP scan occurs at the secondary screening at the gate.

Gail -- here is a link for LHR so you can see which airlines allow this..

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/checking-in#selfservice

Many thanks for all the information- United does have a dropoff baggage kiosk at LHR. I even learned that United operates out of 2 terminals- I don't want to go to the wrong one! I'm very short on time.

Will the ship let people off early to get to the airport on time?

Gail

Many thanks for all the information- United does have a dropoff baggage kiosk at LHR. I even learned that United operates out of 2 terminals- I don't want to go to the wrong one! I'm very short on time.

Gail

I don't think that it is any slight to Oceania's hospitality to say that after your cruise is ended, they definitely want you to get home es expeditiously as possible.

That said, how quickly you may get off of the ship depends on how quickly the ship is cleared by Customs, and you know how Bureaucrats are.

As Mel Brooks says,

"Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst, Some drink champagne, some die of thirst".

We have a noon flight out of Heathrow after disembarking in Southhampton. Can boarding passes be printed onboard the ship anywhere? We will be very tight on time & need to get off the ship quickly.Who do you talk to in order to have this go smoothly?

more important than printing passes is to have reliable transport from Southampton. It's 100 k by motorway. You need at least 90 minutes and preferably 2 hrs plus 3 hrs. before your flight so the latest you can leave Southampton is 7;00 I would try for 6:30. Speak to the concierge.

It has been 3 years since I last flew out of London, However, with UAL they do or did have fast track check in and customs and security for Business and First class and upper tier frequent flyers that made check in a breeze. They (UAL) operate this at other airports as well, Denver SEA, LAX,SFO ORD,IAD as I recall

When traveling to for from UKnow I have avoided LHR in total because of the obscene departure tax on tickets ( $300) and opt for CDG or BRU because their tax is 1/2 to 1/3 less LHR is out of control in my book and has become a monster to be avoided

From Paris its a quick ride by train to London via Euro star.

On my next cruise ending in Dover, I plan to take the ferry and euro star to Paris, a 4 hour trip counting train and ferry.

The savings in airport tax more than pays for the trip to Paris.

Gail

Yes UA operates out of T1 and T4. T4 is the legacy Continental flights to EWR and IAH

London, England

Heathrow International Airport (LHR)

Terminal 1 - Destination Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD)

Terminal 4 - Destination New York (EWR) and Houston (IAH)

I don't think that it is any slight to Oceania's hospitality to say that after your cruise is ended, they definitely want you to get home es expeditiously as possible.

That said, how quickly you may get off of the ship depends on how quickly the ship is cleared by Customs, and you know how Bureaucrats are.

Is the amount of time the ship takes to clear customs in Southampton affected by whether the ship has already visited a port elsewhere in England on the same voyage, when arriving from a sailing which began in another country? Just wondering - if the ship has stopped in another English port first, do they do the customs work at that time, or not until the final port where passengers disembark for good?

I a recent cruise around South America we ended in Buenos Aires, however we visited several ports in Argentina just prior. your question as to British ports is the same I would assume.

Thus when we arrived in Buenos Aires there was no customs, no delay we just walked off the ship and into the mist so to speak.

I would thus guess that your termination in Britain, with several ports in UK visited prior will go the same.

Is the amount of time the ship takes to clear customs in Southampton affected by whether the ship has already visited a port elsewhere in England on the same voyage, when arriving from a sailing which began in another country? Just wondering - if the ship has stopped in another English port first, do they do the customs work at that time, or not until the final port where passengers disembark for good?

It may be the case

We were off the ship at Dover at 6:15 am ..we had stopped in Falmouth the day before

Not sure if that had any bearing on it or not

Lyn

It may be the case

We were off the ship at Dover at 6:15 am ..we had stopped in Falmouth the day before

Not sure if that had any bearing on it or not

Lyn

It is my understanding that if a cruise includes ANY international port at ANY point during the itinerary, then Customs goes through the entire rigmarole at the

disembarkation port.

As with ANY cruise, the true bugbear is ones' fellow passengers with......let's call them eccentric passport problems, who nonetheless choose to sleep late on that last day......

Let me not talk.

It is my understanding that if a cruise includes ANY international port at ANY point during the itinerary, then Customs goes through the entire rigmarole at the

disembarkation port.

We have disembarked in Dover a couple of times but do not recall having to go through any immigration like you do in Miami

I am getting old so it may be my memory is faulty;)

We did not have to report to the lounge as "aliens" do at USA ports :D

Lyn

Archived