Are there threads AGAINST getting the Beverage Package?

warmwinds

I've seen all the threads about how great the beverage packages are, but I still don't think they are right for us, but I also don't want to miss out.

We are Elite, and Aqua Class - so we'll get specialty coffees and bloody Mary's etc., free with breakfast...we'll get 2 bottles of water every day...and we'll get free cocktails every night before dinner.

We will sometimes go to a different lounge before dinner and have ONE drink each (husband a fancy martini, me either the drink of the day or a glass of wine).

With dinner we drink wine - usually get a bottle of white and red and drink them over 2-3 days. Our tastes run to the lower end range - maybe in the $30s for a bottle, and we usually use the Elite discount coupons. So maybe 7 bottles of wine all week.

If we had unlimited drinks, we MIGHT get something at the pool, but we'd be doing it because it was "there" - I'm usually so full from all the food extra drinking just doesn't usually play into it.

I'm just being realistic about what we do...and I've done the math and it just doesn't seem work for us. Yet the consensus is that this is a "don't miss" deal.

Anyone gotten the beverage package (especially Elites in AQ) and thought you wasted your money? Or felt you drank more than you wanted to just to get your money's worth?

I would say that this is not for you

I dont think you are missing anything

It sounds like there is no way that you could make up the cost

It doesn't work for us, and so far the cruises we have been interested in that have the beverage package are way too high. I think most people are fooled into thinking they are getting something for free, when in actuality it's being paid for with higher prices. I know there may be some exceptions, but every time I've researched a cruise with this package, it is much higher than it was before the package--more than the cost of the drinks package.

Neither of us drink, really; I may have a glass of wine at holidays but that's about it, and we're not pop drinkers either. I have a coke once in a great while, don't care for juices, don't need specialty coffees, smoothies, or whatever is covered.

I like just plain water; I guess it might be nice to have bottled water 'free' rather than filling up my water bottles, but it's not a big deal. I don't want the extra calories from all those drinks either!

I do manage to take in plenty of extra calories on my meals and snacks on a cruise, though!

The beverage package isn't great for wine drinkers like me. The Celebrity offerings by the glass are pretty dismal. I found that its better to find a white and red I like and order it by the bottle. I keep one at Cellar Masters for per dinner, and another in the dining room.

A bottle of Evian is five bucks. Water is free if you are in AQ.

During the day I hit up the iced tea dispenser in Oceanview....

Vouchers were used on our Reflection Transatlantic as well as our two 14 day Eclipse cruises in Jan and Feb.

I would not be at all surprised if vouchers soon replaced the "Elite lounge" ... in the next 6 months or so on all ships.

I'd never do that--I don't need the free drink that badly! Plus, we have late seating, so at 5 or 6 I am showering and getting dressed! We'll just have to see how it works out. I like the idea of being able to go anywhere I want (just about) rather than being in the Sky Lounge and not able to find a seat.

How many Elites did you have on your last TA?

I think I heard that the 'tipping point' whereby vouchers are issued is 600 Elites. On our recent Eclipse cruise they had the voucher system and the Elite Lounge operating in the Sky Bar between 5 and 7 - something for everyone :D

I agree that the voucher system will probably be introduced across the fleet soon but I suspect they may introduce another tier (above Elite) whereby these people get to use a lounge for a 'Happy Hour', much in the way that D+ on Royal Caribbean can use the concierge lounge.

I've seen all the threads about how great the beverage packages are, but I still don't think they are right for us, but I also don't want to miss out.

We are Elite, and Aqua Class - so we'll get specialty coffees and bloody Mary's etc., free with breakfast...we'll get 2 bottles of water every day...and we'll get free cocktails every night before dinner.

We will sometimes go to a different lounge before dinner and have ONE drink each (husband a fancy martini, me either the drink of the day or a glass of wine).

With dinner we drink wine - usually get a bottle of white and red and drink them over 2-3 days. Our tastes run to the lower end range - maybe in the $30s for a bottle, and we usually use the Elite discount coupons. So maybe 7 bottles of wine all week.

If we had unlimited drinks, we MIGHT get something at the pool, but we'd be doing it because it was "there" - I'm usually so full from all the food extra drinking just doesn't usually play into it.

I'm just being realistic about what we do...and I've done the math and it just doesn't seem work for us. Yet the consensus is that this is a "don't miss" deal.

Anyone gotten the beverage package (especially Elites in AQ) and thought you wasted your money? Or felt you drank more than you wanted to just to get your money's worth?

Like you we will enjoy a drink on a cruise - wine with our meals as well as drinks during the day and cocktails later in the evening. We have found, on the last 2 occasions that we have saved quite a bit of money not having any drinks package. Infact, not having the package suited us as we had drinks from cabin service, used our mini bar and were able to take a bottle of wine we'd purchased back to our aft cabin. With the package we would have had to pay for these on top of the package and only have wine by the glass - a long walk every time we felt like a glass of wine on the balcony.

I think it is worth you doing your maths, not being swayed by anyone and thinking about what suits you.

:)

I would say that my OH and I are quite big drinkers.

We usually have two pre-dinner drinks and then a bottle of wine with our meal. We might also have another drink after dinner in the theatre or a bar.

We do not have any speciality coffees or pay for any smoothies/sodas or any bottled water as we are mostly happy to drink the "free" stuff. We might buy bottled water on land and take it on to the ship and, if on Eclipse from Southampton, make some proper coffee in a cafetiere in our cabin.

Despite our considerable consumption of alcohol we have never come close to spending what a beverage package would cost (even at 10% off). If we did have the package I fear we might drink even more alcohol to get "our money's worth".

I don't see the point in paying for the drinks package on cruises with only one or two sea days. I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine with lunch, and our lunches are in port! On return to the ship, it's time for a pre-dinner glass (or 2) of wine and another at dinner, then a show and early bedtime to be "up 'n at 'em" the next morning to explore another great place.

If the drinks are part of the 1-2-3, I'd do the math and just might choose this option.

If it doesn't make sense then it is not for you! We have and will continue to do it in the warm climates however, for Alaska I don't think we will as it is such a port intensive cruise and won't be just lounging around. Will definitely be taking a couple of bottles of wine with us and go from there. Hopefully our OBC will cover what we do drink.:)

Just got off of 2 different ships and had the premium bev pack on both. We got the package through the promo and then upgraded. It was nice to have but won't purchase it on future cruises.

Drank more than we normally would have. Found that the drinks in the Molecular bar were for us terrible and glad that we didn't have to pay for them. Tried about every one and ended up dropping them off somewhere.

Found the same with most of the martinis. Nothing like the standard drinks.

We had a lot of drinks but most were to try and usually dumped them.

We ended up drinking the normal drinks of beer, Manhattan, Cosmo or Mojito, wine at dinner and Americano coffee. If we were to pay ala carte and stick to those drinks it would not amount to the cost of the drink package.

I have very basic tastes and am always disappointed in "fancy" cocktails. The ingredients sound great on paper, but most (to me) taste terrible. Can I get just a plain something in the Molecular bar while my husband tries something unusual?

I have very basic tastes and am always disappointed in "fancy" cocktails. The ingredients sound great on paper, but most (to me) taste terrible. Can I get just a plain something in the Molecular bar while my husband tries something unusual?

Not really, the only drinks that are available is what they make on the menu. They don't carry beer either. Best is to get your drink at the martini bar. Found that the smaller martinis at the other bars are not the same. They don't use top shelf and make them different. EG, Cosmos at the martini bar use Grey Goose and Cointreau where the other bars use Absolute and Triple Sec.

I found the same that it sounds good on paper but usually don't taste that great, Would have been very disappointed if I paid $10 or $12 for one of them.

I've frequently posted that the beverage packages are not right for most cruisers.

The packages are expensive with a cost in excess of the average cruiser's beverage spending. They are designed to generate increased revenue and profits for the cruise line, overall and not to save the average cruiser money.

They are best for cruisers who consume above average quantities of the included beverages and/or are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive experience.

If you have any doubts then I'd suggest you do not purchase them in advance but rather wait until you are on board and are able to check out the actual on board selection and prices as well as your own consumption pattern. You can always purchase the packages on board after your cruise begins at a price prorated for the remainder of the cruise.

Personally: We've bought the non-alcoholic beverage package on our last two cruises and really enjoy it. We do consume above average quantities of the included non-alcoholic beverages and feel it has worked out for us.

We've also done the math on the alcoholic packages and those don't normally make sense for us although we have adjusted a booking for 2014 to included the 123go promotion including the classic package with upgrade to the premium package and are looking forward to that. In our case the additional cost to adjust our 2014 booking for the 123go package does work for us.

Thanks for all the different perspectives. I think we'll just stick with what we do. We could not get 123 either on this cruise or the next we've booked, we seem to hit the times when they are not offered, but I'll keep a look out if they change the dates - I'd be willing to try it if it were free, too!

Drink package has never been a consideration. We are also elite and the free pre dinner cocktails are all we need pre dinner. Occasionally its fun to have a few bloody marys pre lunch or a bucket of beer but I really do not want to be doing that every day and if on the drink package we might along with other unnecessary fancy high calorie drinks (because there is no extra cost). Its tough enough to loose those extra few pounds afterwards without adding even more calories to the problem.:)

There is a good selection of reasonably priced wine for dinner, we travel Aqua so there is bottled water in the room (when not in Aqua we bring on a case of bottled water with our luggage) and if we want expresso - we can get it at the elite breakfast.

Archived