Have You Ever Ran Into Someone You Know On A Cruise?

Just a couple of months ago we ran into my niece's husband's parents. We don't live far from each other, but don't see each other that frequently and neither of knew the others were taking that cruise. On that same cruise I was asked if I volunteered at a specific place. I said I did, and the person who asked me said, "so do I.....I thought you looked familiar, I see you there on occasion".

The running joke in my family is that my mother ALWAYS knows someone anywhere she goes. That held true in 2002 when I was 20 and went on my first cruise with my parents. We were getting off the ship in St Maarten when a gentleman walked up to my mom and said "You, I remember you. Your daughter has curly hair and you live in Philadelphia". My mom said "Yes that's right, you look familiar but I can't remember your name". Turns out this man was my nurse at the hospital I stayed in when I was 16 and had my ruptured appendix removed. He remembered my mom being there at the hospital everyday and how she would always talk to him. He was on his honeymoon and couldn't believe what a small world it was. We couldn't either :)

Walking along Arbat Street in Moscow before the beginning of a river cruise, we were spotted by a college classmate of DH and her DH. Turned out we were on the same cruise. Never expected to see anyone we knew in Russia.

A couple of years ago we sailed and after boarding I ran into a high school classmate. We live in the same town, just never crossed paths. Today, I was talking to a friend who was upset because she found out 3 of her co-workers, including her boss, all booked the same cruise she did. She disappointed because she thought she was getting away from anyone and anything work related.

This got me to thinking, have you ever left your hometown and ran into someone you know?

I was at Disney a few years ago with my hubby, 3 kids, sister and her family of 5 and my mother...11 of us. We are from Massachusetts, hubby is from Brazil, but has been here for 20 years.

So..we are walking around the Magic Kingdom and all of a sudden "Mathues, Matheus" (hubbys real name but everyone calls him Matt) it was some school mate, from Brazil ????? Apparently hubby still looks the same! He didnt recognize the guy, but as soon as he refreshed his memory, it was like they were best of friends again! The rest of us Americans didnt know a singe person !

My husbands best friend from high school who we had not seen in 15 years were in the cabin next door. We changed our dining table to sit together and hang out after dinner, but did our own thing during the day. Funny thing was that after that first day when we happened to leave the cabin at the same time and meet, we never again left our cabins together, even for dinner.

Also, that first day, we walked about 20 feet down the hall together without seeing each other. My husband was looking at his nook and friend was also looking at my husband's nook. I was walking in front. So thanks to the one observant person in the group who saw me walking in front of them.

Makes you wonder about that anonymous couple next door that you never see the entire cruise.

If you are reading this Alice and Eddie - Aloha, till we meet again.

Archived