Four in an S-class verandah ?

acadian_dad

Looking at the Aug 2013 Eastern Med / Greek Isles on Silhouette and the website says we can put 4 in a standard Verandah stateroom. Does anyone have any pics of a room configured for 4 ? Is it just a sofa bed or is there an extra bed like an upper berth? I've seen some mention if a trundle bed - is that just referring to the sofa bed ?

We are a family of 4 with a 17 yr old daughter and 19 yr old son - On recent Summit cruise we had no issues making one room work for just 3 of us ... But concerned about fitting 4. Are the S-class rooms any bigger than M-class ?

The FV rooms look like they would be perfect but think they are all long gone ...

There are some staterooms that have a fold out sofa bed and upper berth, but with a couple and two teens, it would be a tight configuration.

I would recommend either adjoining cabins, or book a cabin with an inside cabin across the hall for your teens.

Basically, 4 adults in one small cabin with one bathroom -- I wouldn't want to go there. :D

I agree with the above comments. The S class cabins seem a bit smaller than the M class and seem to have less closet space and less storage. If you can live with one bathroom you can look at the family view cabins, but personally with two teens I'd follow Wine-O's advice and go for two cabins - even if it means getting two insides near each other.

Thanks all - so S-class seem smaller than M-class ? Yikes, if that's the case that pretty much decides it for me then.

We've done the 2 adjacent cabins approach on most of our family cruises but the price difference is so compelling I always wonder ... Our recent cruise on Summit with just our daughter was fine so it made me think about it again. But it was getting tight to get around the room when the sofa bed was open - so if room any smaller - no go.

Understand the comment about inside rooms but we have all become addicted to balconies - the sound of the ocean is the best soporific I know of !

Thanks again

Point of order: the standard M class balcony cabins are about 175 sq. ft., about 190 in CC. Standard balcony in S class (incl. CC & AQ) is 194 sq. ft.

Having said that, I think 4 adults would be WAY tight. Yes, you can get a couch and an upper berth, but you would be sardines. I am as cheap as they come and I wouldn't do it!!!:rolleyes:

The FV rooms never show as available untilafter final payment date, they hold them out for families of five people, then release if not sold, last minute, ask to be waitlisted, this has worked for us in the past, but you will still only have one small bathroom, so if you can afford it, I would take two cabins.

I would go with a verandah and a nearby inside if I couldn't get the family verandah. Don't see how your kids will both fit on the couch and I have traveled with two teenagers. Not enough room for them or their stuff!

Point of order: the standard M class balcony cabins are about 175 sq. ft., about 190 in CC. Standard balcony in S class (incl. CC & AQ) is 194 sq. ft.

Having said that, I think 4 adults would be WAY tight. Yes, you can get a couch and an upper berth, but you would be sardines. I am as cheap as they come and I wouldn't do it!!!:rolleyes:

Well, I can't account for the statistics; only what my impression has been. Except for one cruise, we've always had a CC on the M class ships and those have at least "seemed" larger than the S class staterooms. It could be the location of the closet which opens to the main part of the cabin on the S class, parallel to the bed, so you need space within the main part of the cabin to access it. Where as on the M class the closet opens to the entryway so it doesn't take us space in the central part of the cabin. It could also be that the bathroom on the S class is a little larger (but only a little) so that might make up some difference as well.

Also, on the S class ships the area of the cabin where the sofa is located is a bit narrower than the portion of the cabin where the bed is so that might make it seem smaller in that area as well.

This is a C2 cabin on the Eclipse; on the S-class ships, the interiors of the concierge class cabins are the same size as the standard verandahs. I can't imagine two adults and two grown teens sharing this space -- big issues over the amount of storage, trying to maneuver around to change clothes, the single bathroom (let along trying to get to the bathroom)...

EclipseTA033_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

This is a C2 cabin on the Eclipse; on the S-class ships, the interiors of the concierge class cabins are the same size as the standard verandahs. I can't imagine two adults and two grown teens sharing this space -- big issues over the amount of storage, trying to maneuver around to change clothes, the single bathroom (let along trying to get to the bathroom)...

EclipseTA033_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

We did four one time when the kids got older, maybe a little younger than yours. That was the last time, after that we got two rooms. Did not want to deal with wife and teenage daughter with one bathroom.

Four in a cabin? Not if you ever want to speak to each other again. Even prisoners get more space than that. Just off Reflection. Six travelers. We had two per cabin and worked out well. Three bathrooms makes a huge difference with everyone getting ready for dinner.

Looking at the Aug 2013 Eastern Med / Greek Isles on Silhouette and the website says we can put 4 in a standard Verandah stateroom. Does anyone have any pics of a room configured for 4 ? Is it just a sofa bed or is there an extra bed like an upper berth? I've seen some mention if a trundle bed - is that just referring to the sofa bed ?

We are a family of 4 with a 17 yr old daughter and 19 yr old son - On recent Summit cruise we had no issues making one room work for just 3 of us ... But concerned about fitting 4. Are the S-class rooms any bigger than M-class ?

The FV rooms look like they would be perfect but think they are all long gone ...

Here is a photo of a Solstice-class quad. This photo is from the Eclipse, and was posted by the Howarth family.

CathyCruises has the numbers right on the square footage of cabins on the S-class ships, vs. the M-Class ships. Larry Simon made some pretty good suggestions as to why the S-class cabins might seem a bit smaller. I think the larger bathrooms and the larger sofas in the S-class cabins are the main contributors to the perception of space.

Before final payment, you have to call into Celebrity and ask about the availability of the FV cabins, as they will not show up as available in the listed inventory. Celebrity may consider giving them to a family of four. I know it has happened to friends of mine in the past who had a 14 yr old and a 16 year old. You might want to do some research on the balconies in the FV beforehand, so that you know what the issues are.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful family cruise!

i-mvTrtfP-L.jpg

I agree with lsimon on the S and M class space.

I've done quads on both Millennium and Solstice. Millennium was first and it was fine. Of course squeezier than two cabins, but still space to move around, store things and so on. No issues.

However, solstice was terrible. For starters, they don't have the quad bunks like Millennium. Only some cabins have a single bunk as shown above, but most of their quads are even worse with a sofa bed and then trundle squeezed under.

The trundle is far less comfortable. It also takes all the floor space, as well as the seating space. I don't know what they were thinking, but the solstice was a significant downgrade in this respect. Honestly, I don't think they should even market them as reasonable for 4, as it's not reasonable - especially at the high prices they charge! Far from modern luxury.

Basically, it's okay to consider on a Millennium class, but avoid it on a solstice class.

We had 4 in a cabin on the Eclipse and we coped. We solved the storage issue by keeping the kids clothes in their suitcases and storing them under the bed. There was plenty of storage under the bed for all 4 of our cases.

The bed layout was main bed by the bathroom and a sofa bed with pull out trundle by the balcony. Yes it is a tight squeeze to get past to go out to the balcony but it can be done. Our room steward converted the beds back to the sofa every day so it was only in the late evenings/early mornings that we noticed the lack of space. Our kids are younger than yours but I've found that generally the younger generation can sleep just about anywhere!

The bathroom requires a bit of co-ordination when it comes to getting ready in the morning/evening but we just allowed plenty of time.

One thing we did do was book a cabin with the largest size angled balcony (approx. 100sq.ft) which gave us additional outside space to spill out onto.

We coped fine, 2 cabins would have been our preferred option but was not financially feasible for us. We didn't spend much time in the cabin anyway although we did use the balcony a lot.

Hope this helps.

Justin

When our kids were younger we used to book suites for the four of us, but now that they are teenagers they really need their own space. Last year on the Silhouette we booked two C-1 connecting cabins and it worked for us. The children had their own TV, their own bathroom and closet. The storage space on the S Class is really limited and Med. cruises are longer. This year we booked a S-1 connected to a SV for the children, I have to admit that I missed the suite perks and the extra space. :):)

Thanks all for the guidance ... Does anyone have any comments on Silhouette rooms 8256 / 8258 - seem very close to central elevators but TA said they were the only pair of adjacent verandah rooms available.

That's a great location!! We hand picked 8238 for our upcoming cruise just because it was near the elevators. This is 2 banks of four each glass elevators, facing each other, and they can get you to just about every place you will want to do. The S class ships only have the forward and midship elevators so I think its a big advantage to be close to them. Not noisy from all I've read.

...This is 2 banks of four each glass elevators, facing each other, and they can get you to just about every place you will want to do. ...

Haven't figured out how to get them to take us to certain places on the ship yet - like from mid ship to the forward Sky Lounge. Perhaps you've had better luck with this?

They do work reasonably well on taking us to other floors but only to the areas on them directly above, or below, where we've started from.

I've found the staff is useless in trying to get assistance on this matter. Last cruise I happened to be waiting for an elevator by the atrium when the cruise director stopped by so I asked him if this elevator went to the front of the ship. He just laughed at me and said "Great Material! Got to use that in my spiel tonight!". What a rude person - that was exactly the same answer the guy gave me last cruise when I asked him if all the staff live on board the ship!

Archived