Norway fjords

denby

That is a tough decision. We have done both. The fjords are absolutely beautiful and was a wonderful cruise. However, we really enjoyed our visit to Iceland, it is a great island and a must see. Sorry, I know this doees not help much, but i don't think you would be disappointed in either !!

That is a tough decision. We have done both. The fjords are absolutely beautiful and was a wonderful cruise. However, we really enjoyed our visit to Iceland, it is a great island and a must see. Sorry, I know this doees not help much, but i don't think you would be disappointed in either !!

I agree. Both routes are absolutely breath-takingly beautiful and you won't be disappointed. Some things to consider are perhaps:

The ship: "Eclipse" out of Southampton offers both the fjords and Iceland in 14 nights and is a very attractive, modern ship.

"Infinity" out of Harwich and "Constellation" out of Amsterdam are older and smaller but still attractive to many. "Infinity" offers both types of itinerary but Harwich might be more difficult to reach if you don't plan to stay a few days in London before or after. Right now, on the other hand, the cruises both to Iceland and Norway are offered at very attractive prices, especially for seniors. ( alternatively you might get the 1-2-3 promo with two offers if you sail from June to September).

Amsterdam is another beautiful city to stay in for a few days pre- or post-cruise!

I wouldn't do the Arctic Circle cruise on "Constellation" as a first cruise to Northern Europe. We have done that cruise as well and loved it but there are a lot of sea days and you'll have less time in the fjords themselves. And my personal opinion is that you can't compare Iceland to ( for example) Spitsbergen or the North Cape.

Same here. Looking at the Fjords and the Iceland cruise also. In addition looking at the Arctic cruise. So many itineraries so little time.

Phxazzcruisers: That is a tough decision. We have done both. The fjords are absolutely beautiful and was a wonderful cruise. However' date=' we really enjoyed our visit to Iceland, it is a great island and a must see. Sorry, I know this doees not help much, but i don't think you would be disappointed in either !! [/quote']

Mary El: Same here. Looking at the Fjords and the Iceland cruise also. In addition looking at the Arctic cruise. So many itineraries so little time.

YES' date=' lots of choices and options to consider. [/b'] Below on my live/blog, you can see lots of details and pictures for what did with another cruise line for BOTH the fjords AND then going farther up north to the Lofoten Island, above the Arctic Circle and to the North Cape. We really enjoyed this experience and had great weather in July 20110. The Lofoten Island were a real "super star" for us with its dramatic setting and great scenery.

You can also go to Iceland and/or farther north up above the North Cape. That's where you get into the "trade-off" questions involving whether so much more sea time is needed and worth it for get all of the way to Iceland, etc. Some love sea days, others don't want to "waste" as much time that way just sailing and sailing. Your choice!!

As you go farther north, the landscapes get more "sparse" with few, if any trees, etc., as you see in some of my pictures below Tell us more on what you are seeking and needing in the way of a an "experience"?

Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 100,927 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

Sailing from the small fishing village of Gjesvaer near the North Cape, this is the first of many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Here is one view of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

We are trying to decide between a cruise that just does the Norgewian fjords or the one that also includes Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Just making a suggestion. I notice you're from the States, and since Icelandair offers free stopovers in Iceland on their flights to Europe, be it Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo or wherever they fly, how about just taking a fjords cruise, which is absolutely amazing from either Amsterdam and Copenhagen and stopping over in Iceland for a couple of days. We did that last year and enjoyed our fjords cruise so much that we're going back again this year, and this is our fourth time to Iceland, 2 by cruise ship on a Transatlantic cruise, and one prior overnight in Iceland.

You'll enjoy both areas however you get there.

There is actually a Norwegian TV presentation that sails through the entire Hurtigruten.

You can download the entire 130+ hours programme divided into episodes from the NRK using uTorrent, BitTorrent, or similar browser extension software, or simply view selected portions on-line.

http://nrk.no/hurtigruten/?lang=en (The episodes are under "download")

Same here. Looking at the Fjords and the Iceland cruise also. In addition looking at the Arctic cruise. So many itineraries so little time.

We are trying to decide between a cruise that just does the Norgewian fjords or the one that also includes Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Any feedback would be really appreciated.

It would depend how many Norwegian Fjords the Iceland itineraries will visit.

I have seen Iceland/Fjords cruises with only 1 stop at a Norwegian Fjord and one city. (Bergen) This is not sufficient.

If you want to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise you will have to spend the entire cruise here. This way you will see the diverse scenery, start to discover the history and culture of the country.

We did Norway and Iceland with Princess last July we have just booked another Norway cruise (different ports) for June with MSC. I would go back to Iceland too it was breathtaking...;)

Hi Kat1007.

Your on the Opera week before us. You'll have to give us some tips.

We did the Norwegian fjords cruise on the constellation last year. It was fantastic! So great that we decided to o the arctic circle next year. I have a bunch of pictures in my trip report in my signature

• 2 weeks later...

We are also considering Iceland for next year. Having already visited the Norwegian Fjords, and finding them stunning, we quite fancy cruising to Iceland. Not sure out of two itineraries which we prefer - Brilliance for 12 nights of Infinity for 11 (ports are the same for both) :confused:.

We have kids in our party, so we need to consider the ships facilities along with the ports :).

You will not be disappointed in Norway; we thoroughly enjoyed all of the different ports on our last visit.

Thanks for the info. We are also planning this for 2014.

Keep researching and planning!!! Remember that the "peak season" when the weather is best in Norway can be a little narrow. The "better" cruises do book up earlier. Unlike in the Med or Carib, your options are more limited and costly.

As wisely noted by villauk, having kids along on this routing can be a little more challenging. You need to carefully consider what will work (or not) with your children given their interests, style.

Lots of great ideas and people are here on these boards and they/we are happy to help. Don't be shy!! The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask. This researching and planning will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

Below is more "eye candy" from my live/blog to get people excited about these wonderful and exciting options along this scenic Norway coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 104,091 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. You will exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

After visiting Flam, here are some more samples of the spectacular Sognerfjord as sailed to our afternoon in nearby Gudvangen.:

FjordMntskyView.jpg

FjordMntWfallFarmView.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

Thank you TLC. We don't have kids living with us anymore. All grown up. We are thinking of going in July. Now the best cruise line to take, is another big consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We're booked on the July 27th sailing of the Brilliance to Norway, Faroe Islands, and Iceland. We decided this would be a rare chance to see Iceland with the added benefit of sailing on the Brilliance right after her refurb. We also liked the variety of the itinerary.

Thanks for the photos, TLCOhio!

Archived