Is anyone just back from the Explorer OS out of Bayonne NJ?

Don't skip the ice show. It's great. Also, try the Portofino one night, if possible. IMHO it is well worth the upcharge. If you want to see the welcome parade on the Promenade, get there early as it gets crowded. We always enjoy the 1st formal night champagne reception on the Promenade. Sail away out on deck, as far up and to the front of the ship as possible, if the weather permits. Sailing out of the harbor and under the Verazano Narrows bridge never gets old. If the weather is bad, get up to Dizzie's right after muster to get a seat near the front windows. Have fun!:)

Got off her yesterday! Rust on the exterior of ship but inside is still really great! Definitely difficult to avoid rust with all that sea water around.

We enjoy the Production shows and Ice Shows. The Ice show no longer has tickets. You get to go to the show based on your lifeboat station number. We left on Friday, ice shows were at 2pm and 4pm Sat and 2pm, 4pm Sun while we were at sea. We were to go at 2pm on Sunday. We figured that by 2pm Sun we might be into warmer weather and would prefer being by the pool. So, we went to Studio B at 1:30 Sat. About 5 minutes before the show starts, anyone can go in and get seats. There were plenty of good seats available and we enjoyed the show. The 4pm show was postponed until 2pm Monday due to weather and Yes, Sunday was nice by the pool.

We really did not have rough seas. The cruise before missed Labadee due to the seas and the Captain was expecting this weeks cruise to be rough due to the storm system today going out into the ocean around Cape Hatteras. So, we were very lucky to have great weather...still some people were sick and the bags were out on the stair railings.

First day at sea it was a little on the cool side. we got to the Solarium early and got lounges. Nice to sit, relax, read our books and be outside. By 1pm the seats were gone.

We got to the pier around 10:30. We had priority boarding and got to the Windjammer early. Seats became prized possessions since staterooms were not available until 1:30 and people had carry ons and coats. They made announcements to please leave if you were finished eating since some could not find seats for lunch.

Am certain that you will enjoy the cruise!

The Explorer has the Freestyle Coke machines which include many different sodas as well as still and fizzy water. Plus a GAZILLION (I counted) flavorings to add. I absolutely LOVED this feature as I don't drink coke but love flavored waters (fizzy and still). I bought the package when I got onboard.

We had priority boarding and got to the Windjammer early. Seats became prized possessions since staterooms were not available until 1:30 and people had carry ons and coats. They made announcements to please leave if you were finished eating since some could not find seats for lunch.

And many folks simply ignored the announcements!

Be sure to explore the fitness center - giant indoor hot tub in the middle and locker rooms with a sauna, steam room, large showers, and lots of towels. Great destination on a cool day.

Find Dizzy's for great views (deck 14 aft portside elevators), the sports deck, rock climbing wall, and minigolf on deck 13 aft. Find the helipad deck 5 forward accessed from the promenade on deck 4 when open.

And many folks simply ignored the announcements!

We were on the cruise last week also. We were just getting up (4 of us) when they made the announcement. We also go there early. We were in a JS and boarded with the suites so we were among the first 10 people in the WJ. Weather was good last week and I never understood the people complaining about the seas, except maybe they had only cruised out of FL in good weather, because the seas we had were never anywhere near as bad as we've had before in the NE.

Solarium-get there early, but do NOT just throw stuff down and walk away for an hour or more. Lots of people did that as well as several who saved seats in both the sun and shade. We were in there every sea day by 9 am with butts in seats. And we spent the entire day at Samana in the solarium.

Expect the elevators to be a pain. One was out of service the entire trip. It's one of the glass ones and was sitting between decks. Another elevator had a mind of it's own and regardless of where it said it was going when you boarded, it decided to go the opposite several times. Long waits sometimes and with scooters and wheelchairs, it limits how many can get on. We walked stairs as much as possible.

Another tip, go to shows-they were excellent and we had seen all the production shows before. The headliner The Unexpected Boys were wonderful. Midnight adult comedian we had was really good too.

See as many of the shows as you can as they were all very good. The cruise director, Richard Spacey was awesome, and I believe your cruise will be his last on Explorer. If you can manage all your luggage, I suggest signing up for the early disembarking to avoid the waiting around. If you do, get to your meeting area early because they start early if possible. We were off the boat, through customs and driving home by 8:30am.

See as many of the shows as you can as they were all very good. The cruise director, Richard Spacey was awesome, and I believe your cruise will be his last on Explorer. If you can manage all your luggage, I suggest signing up for the early disembarking to avoid the waiting around. If you do, get to your meeting area early because they start early if possible. We were off the boat, through customs and driving home by 8:30am.

You're joking?!

I'll be on her in 23 days and have been looking forward to seeing Mr Spacey as I have read all the great reviews about him. :mad:

Expect the elevators to be a pain. One was out of service the entire trip. It's one of the glass ones and was sitting between decks.

We were on the cruise previous to yours and it was out of service then too. I can't say for certain if it was out of service from day one, I assumed that it went down during the rough conditions we experienced on the first sea day. I guess it's something that can't be given an quick fix.

We were on the cruise previous to yours and it was out of service then too. I can't say for certain if it was out of service from day one, I assumed that it went down during the rough conditions we experienced on the first sea day. I guess it's something that can't be given an quick fix.

All elevators were working (to our knowledge) during our voyage. Though we only used them a couple times when we had our luggage getting on the ship and when I was wearing a certain pair of heels. We had an organized group of wheelchair users on our voyage so elevators that weren't packed to the gills were difficult to come by.

A good place to watch promenade events is from the little balconies at the ends of the promenade on the 6th-8th floors. The bow end ones are a little better since they are closer to the flying bridge for a good view of the 70s show.

You're joking?!

I'll be on her in 23 days and have been looking forward to seeing Mr Spacey as I have read all the great reviews about him. :mad:

Unfortunately, I'm not joking. My wife and I were speaking with him on Saturday night, and he told us he only had 2 weeks left. The activities manager, Chris, was really good as well, and he'll still be there for your cruise.

You're joking?!

We are sailing ExOTS on May 2nd so I kind of kept an eye on the Current Cruise Director Thread. Here is what it says:

Explorer OTS - Richard Spacey started February 1st until April 7 to cover Leigh Xuereb's break. Leigh will return as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7

I have never been on a cruise with either however I have read good things about Leigh. Hope this helps clear it up anyway. Sorry for your dissapointment.

Happy Cruising.

PS let us know how your cruise was after you get back. We will be on about 2 weeks after you get back.

You're joking?!

Not to worry, Ned. We've also read great things about cruise director, Leigh Xuereb!

We will have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Jane

Not to worry, Ned. We've also read great things about cruise director, Leigh Xuereb!

We will have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Jane

That's alright then! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are sailing ExOTS on May 2nd so I kind of kept an eye on the Current Cruise Director Thread. Here is what it says:

Explorer OTS - Richard Spacey started February 1st until April 7 to cover Leigh Xuereb's break. Leigh will return as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7

I have never been on a cruise with either however I have read good things about Leigh. Hope this helps clear it up anyway. Sorry for your dissapointment.

Happy Cruising.

PS let us know how your cruise was after you get back. We will be on about 2 weeks after you get back.

Leigh is wonderful! We like him even better than Richard! You shouldn't be disappointed!

Archived