Discount Bayonne Parking?

yogimax

Guess I wasn't clear enough.

I was looking for alternative parking for the port in Bayonne.

This looks like a parking facility for Newark Airport.

This is alternative parking for the port (in addition to alternative parking for EWR). Note mention of Cape Liberty and a picture of a cruise ship on their home page. There aren't alternatives I would feel comfortable recommending that are close to the port.

Do a search on premier to find out about a facility that we do not recommend and read greatam's post on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1049230&highlight=premier

Newark/Bayonne is a highly industrialized urban area and you must be selective as to where you ditch your car while cruising.

o.k., I read the post you referenced and greatam seems to be concerned about liability.

My guess, though, is that the parking facility at the port has exactly the same wording in its contract and assumes no liability.

I also seem to remember cars being sprayed with paint at the port a few years ago.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the offsite parking?

o.k., I read the post you referenced and greatam seems to be concerned about liability.

My guess, though, is that the parking facility at the port has exactly the same wording in its contract and assumes no liability.

I also seem to remember cars being sprayed with paint at the port a few years ago.

Does anyone have any recent experience with the offsite parking?

When there was spray paint damage years ago the dry dock company paid for repairs. Certainly no one wants their car damaged, but the responsible party did accept liability for it, and they've subsequently taken steps to prevent this from happening.

If you search for posts about Premier Parking you'll find concerns about proper insurance and operating permits and some complaints about inadequate shuttle service.

How long is your cruise? You live in Astoria, so you would perhaps have some feel for the Newark/Bayonne area and why you would want to be particular about where you leave your car. Have you priced a car service?

Quite frankly it's a hassle to park anywhere but the pier. For a short cruise it's not worth the inconvenience.

If you search for posts about Premier Parking you'll find concerns about proper insurance and operating permits and some complaints about inadequate shuttle service.

Checked out Premier Parking and they are located at 14 airports and 6 cruise ports. I doubt if they could be operating in so many locations without proper insurance and permits. Seems like someone who has a vested interest in the company directly at the port is spreading the rumors!

The price difference is about $50 for our cruise.

Checked out Premier Parking and they are located at 14 airports and 6 cruise ports. I doubt if they could be operating in so many locations without proper insurance and permits. Seems like someone who has a vested interest in the company directly at the port is spreading the rumors!

The price difference is about $50 for our cruise.

PLEASE CHECK AGAIN. READ THE T & C's. The WEBSITE may be in 14 airports and 6 cruise ports.

BUT EACH parking place is operated INDEPENDENTLY. There is NO overall company that runs the parking. There is NO overall INSURANCE. And the website SPECIFICALLY STATES they are NOT liable for anything. You get hurt in a crash going to/from the port in their van, you are on your own. Your car gets run into, who are you going to find at fault? TOO many parties involved and they are all THIRD PARTIES.

I know for a fact-the Bayonne facility is owned by a conglomerate in Moonachie who in turn RENTS the bldg to a warehousing corp. The warehousing corp in turn SUBLETS the parking lot on an as needed basis to a guy in NYC who RENTS vans on an as needed basis from whomever he can rent the vans from. The ONLY insurance on the vans is what is provided by the rental company. That is NOT commercial insurance. There is NO commercial insurance on the vans and there is NO DOT operating authority to run the vans as a commercial enterprise. To legally operate, you MUST have $5,000,000 in insurance to haul passengers even if you only move people from the airport to a parking lot 50 yards away.

I operate a trucking company that picks up at that warehouse daily. There are posters on the bulletin board asking if the employees want some weekend work. You CANNOT legally hire drivers to drive commercial vehicles (which is what the vans are the minute you put someone in them FOR HIRE) without a drug test and a passenger endorsement on your drivers license.

What can I say. Knowing the area, it wouldn't be worth $50 for me. You get what you pay for. I'd park at Journal Square and take the light rail and a cab, at Bayonne Medical Center and take a cab, or at Snap in Newark before I'd choose Premier.

Too bad they pulled the Fung Wah thread.

PLEASE CHECK AGAIN. READ THE T & C's. The WEBSITE may be in 14 airports and 6 cruise ports.

BUT EACH parking place is operated INDEPENDENTLY. There is NO overall company that runs the parking. There is NO overall INSURANCE. And the website SPECIFICALLY STATES they are NOT liable for anything. You get hurt in a crash going to/from the port in their van, you are on your own. Your car gets run into, who are you going to find at fault? TOO many parties involved and they are all THIRD PARTIES.

I know for a fact-the Bayonne facility is owned by a conglomerate in Moonachie who in turn RENTS the bldg to a warehousing corp. The warehousing corp in turn SUBLETS the parking lot on an as needed basis to a guy in NYC who RENTS vans on an as needed basis from whomever he can rent the vans from. The ONLY insurance on the vans is what is provided by the rental company. That is NOT commercial insurance. There is NO commercial insurance on the vans and there is NO DOT operating authority to run the vans as a commercial enterprise. To legally operate, you MUST have $5,000,000 in insurance to haul passengers even if you only move people from the airport to a parking lot 50 yards away.

I operate a trucking company that picks up at that warehouse daily. There are posters on the bulletin board asking if the employees want some weekend work. You CANNOT legally hire drivers to drive commercial vehicles (which is what the vans are the minute you put someone in them FOR HIRE) without a drug test and a passenger endorsement on your drivers license.

Totally CONFUSED!!!

You say you live in Arizona and Missouri, which is strange in itself!

Now you say you OPERATE a trucking company in New Jersey?

PLEASE EXPLAIN! YOUR CREDIBILITY IS GOING DOWNHILL WITH EVERY POST!

Totally CONFUSED!!!

You say you live in Arizona and Missouri, which is strange in itself!

Now you say you OPERATE a trucking company in New Jersey?

PLEASE EXPLAIN! YOUR CREDIBILITY IS GOING DOWNHILL WITH EVERY POST!

I own an international logistics company. We move primarily food and other perishable products world wide. I run 62 semi trucks from the West Coast to the NE weekly. We have offices in AZ, MO and one in the Bronx. I spend about 5 days per month in the NYC office.

My husband and I also own a farm in Northern Missouri where we spend about 3-4 months out of the year. My offices and warehouse in MO are on the adjacent property to our farm.

What is so hard to understand?

I'm with 138east on the parking situation. There ARE other places to park that are safe if you don't want to park at the port.

Why you think parking in a company's parking lot is safe and you are protected is beyond me? What the guy that is running the parking at Bayonne is doing is no different than if I rented your front yard to park cars and rented a van from Hertz/Budget/Avis to transport people to the cruise terminal in Manhattan. WHO IS LIABLE if someone runs into a car parked in your yard? YOU??? The parking guy??? And the van rental is no different than if you went to Hertz/Budget/Avis and rented a van and then started hauling people to the port. THAT IS COMMERCIAL transportation and you need $5,000,000 worth of insurance to do it LEGALLY.

Could I scam the situation-rent your front yard and rent a van from a rental agency and haul people to the terminal? YOU BETCHA. But what happens when something BAD HAPPENS? You and the parking guy and the van company and anyone else even possibly involved is going to be tied up in lawsuits for a lot of years trying to apportion liability. And in the meantime, the person that got hurt or the vehicle that got damaged will fall to the OWNER to take care of. If it was a traffic accident and someone was seriously hurt, could be a LOT of dollars out of YOUR pocket until all the lawsuits are finished. And even then, if you or the parking guy decides to file bankruptcy, you will NEVER recoup your money. You are NOT playing a commercial game the way Premier Parking is set up.

There ARE other places to park that are safe if you don't want to park at the port.

o.k, I'm willing to listen... what are they?

It just seems to me that the $19/day fee at the port is a total rip off.

o.k, I'm willing to listen... what are they?

It just seems to me that the $19/day fee at the port is a total rip off.

I gave you an alternative in the first reply to your original question...Snap Parking in Newark. 138east also mentioned it.

BTW, $19 per day is cheap compared to $35 per day in Manhattan. You're from Astoria...you should know how expensive parking can be in the NY City area.

Well, if you cruised out of Manhattan it would be $35/day and if you cruised out of Brooklyn it would be $20/day. If you were from a much less urban area of the US I could understand your disbelief at the price, but you're a New Yorker and should not be so surprised. Tons of folks commute into NYC from NJ and they pay a lot for daily parking for that privilege. Secaucus Junction train station parking is $20+ per day. Bayonne has almost no public parking and has resident restrictions. There's just no place to park.

I gave you an alternative in the first reply to your original question...Snap Parking in Newark.

That's nice, but if you go to their website, you see a logo for the cruise port but absolutely no information regarding it. No information about shuttles, times, or anything else.

That's nice, but if you go to their website, you see a logo for the cruise port but absolutely no information regarding it. No information about shuttles, times, or anything else.

There's a simple solution...call them. You'll get the details. Other Cape Liberty cruisers have parked there.

There's a simple solution...call them. You'll get the details. Other Cape Liberty cruisers have parked there.

If it's not on their website it sends me the message that it's not very important to them.

We live in a day and age when folks don't want to take time to make unnecessary phone calls when the information should be readily available online. And if they haven't taken the trouble to put it online it means it's not very important to them!

When we cruise out of Manhattan, we take the E train and walk to the port!

Well a public transit option is also available to you. I have gone to Cape Liberty and back from Larchmont NY and it took me a little over two hours, so you can certainly do it from Astoria. For me the NYC subway piece was the most difficult - very luggage unfriendly. Path and the light rail were super easy. If I did this again, I would take a cab from Grand Central to Path at 33rd St.

You take the subway to either Herald Square or World Trade. At Herald Square you would pick up Path to Hoboken. At WTC you would pickup Path one stop to Exchange Place. If you have access to the E train, I would go via WTC because the end of the line is closest to Path (front of the train) and an easy underground walk. Path is $2.25/ pp and has at least one wide turnstile that you can roll luggage through. The outbound direction in the morning is uncrowded, so no problem there.

The Hudson-Bergen light rail is right at either Hoboken or Exchange Place. Both Path stations are deep and have elevator service to the street. You buy a ticket for $2.10 (1.05 if you're a senior) and validate it in the machine. Be sure you get on a train that goes to Bayonne. The light rail is a modern tram/trolley train with level access from the platform - very easy with luggage and once again not busy outbound in the morning. At 34th St in Bayonne you can call Bayonne taxi and they will send a car by to pick you up. They had me walk out to the back of the station to E Street for pick up - there was a nice bench there to wait. It's also possible they will have you go up and over the track to the parking area for pickup - there is an elevator or escalator to make this easier.

I'm a senior so for my trip I paid $5 for Metro North, $2.25 for the subway, $2.25 for Path, $1.05 for the light rail and $10 for the taxi for a grand total of a little over $20 to get to Bayonne. I thought that was a great deal. I used to live in Jersey City many years ago and I really enjoyed seeing all the changes on the light rail ride. The whole trip was an adventure and for me a fun way to start off the cruise.

By the way, I was on an 11 day cruise and did this to avoid paying $209 to park plus bridge or tunnel toll plus turnpike toll plus gas which would have been another $30-40 depending on the route and taken at least an hour+. I had free parking at relatives in Larchmont and for me the $200 savings was worth it. I had a 22" rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack and was able to carry everything right on to the Explorer.

Well a public transit option is also available to you. I have gone to Cape Liberty and back from Larchmont NY and it took me a little over two hours, so you can certainly do it from Astoria. For me the NYC subway piece was the most difficult - very luggage unfriendly. Path and the light rail were super easy. If I did this again, I would take a cab from Grand Central to Path at 33rd St.

You take the subway to either Herald Square or World Trade. At Herald Square you would pick up Path to Hoboken. At WTC you would pickup Path one stop to Exchange Place. If you have access to the E train, I would go via WTC because the end of the line is closest to Path (front of the train) and an easy underground walk. Path is $2.25/ pp and has at least one wide turnstile that you can roll luggage through. The outbound direction in the morning is uncrowded, so no problem there.

The Hudson-Bergen light rail is right at either Hoboken or Exchange Place. Both Path stations are deep and have elevator service to the street. You buy a ticket for $2.10 (1.05 if you're a senior) and validate it in the machine. Be sure you get on a train that goes to Bayonne. The light rail is a modern tram/trolley train with level access from the platform - very easy with luggage and once again not busy outbound in the morning. At 34th St in Bayonne you can call Bayonne taxi and they will send a car by to pick you up. They had me walk out to the back of the station to E Street for pick up - there was a nice bench there to wait. It's also possible they will have you go up and over the track to the parking area for pickup - there is an elevator or escalator to make this easier.

I'm a senior so for my trip I paid $5 for Metro North, $2.25 for the subway, $2.25 for Path, $1.05 for the light rail and $10 for the taxi for a grand total of a little over $20 to get to Bayonne. I thought that was a great deal. I used to live in Jersey City many years ago and I really enjoyed seeing all the changes on the light rail ride. The whole trip was an adventure and for me a fun way to start off the cruise.

By the way, I was on an 11 day cruise and did this to avoid paying $209 to park plus bridge or tunnel toll plus turnpike toll plus gas which would have been another $30-40 depending on the route and taken at least an hour+. I had free parking at relatives in Larchmont and for me the $200 savings was worth it. I had a 22" rolling suitcase and a rolling backpack and was able to carry everything right on to the Explorer.

Wow! An excellent post!!!

I hope you have copied it since it could be of wonderful value to others in the future.... thank you!

I have posted this a number of times and a few hardy souls have done it. The problem is that 99+% of cruisers either have too much luggage or don't even want to consider public transit. This route is most popular with Europeans who are used to hauling their stuff around on public transit. The feedback from folks taking this route has been very positive.

I am off to France at the end of the summer to do two days in Paris before going to London and then on to Harwich to take the Brilliance TA back to my home port of Boston. My 22" rolling suitcase and rolling backpack are making that journey with me. I expect to take the train from CDG to Paris and then the metro and train to London. Cab to the hotel will hopefully be shared with others. If not, it's into the Underground. Fortunately some one from CC has arranged a bus from the hotel (purchased on Hotwire) directly to Harwich where I will do carry on to the ship for 15 days back to Boston. By being able to manage my luggage I expect to save about $75-100 in transportation costs by being able to use lower cost public transit options. Laundry will get sent out and OBC will pay for that.

Archived