Embarkation lunch....mass hysteria?

The line cutters drive me insane too! I mean yes there are people that just stand there and stare at the food, but it does move along eventually. :rolleyes:

I usually get my food and then go find somewhere else to sit and eat, usually outside.

How do you define cutting?

I ask because if I'm behind someone who's serving himself an item that I'm not getting, and the next item down the line is unoccupied, I will go past to the item I want.

I think this is more efficient, and why wait? If no one's standing at a food item I want, is there anything wrong with going to grab it, even if that means I "cut?"

Cutting in when there is a gap or go ahead of someone else seems reasonable. I've often witnessed family groups cutting in ahead of the salad area and that really slows things down.

It's true that more "stationed" buffets don't seem to have this problem.

When one books a cruise ship

with 3000 to 5000 passenger capacity

and at the reasonable prices you pay,

you will have all those same passengers in

the windjammer at once after boarding the ship on embarkation day.

Get over it

or pay for the high dollar lines or pay for the suites or pay for many many sea days

to qualify for any benefits

to get better services.

Attitude is the difference between

an ordeal and an adventure.

Appreciate what you do have!

You chose it!

You are on a cruise!!!!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

I know some people want to be on board early but we have found, not boarding until later, when rooms are ready is the way to go. we grab a drink, take it t the room and relax and head up later for a quick bite when its slower.

I agree with you completely! I used to be an early arriver, but now I take the opposite approach. I fly in the night before, and relax that morning. Maybe even sit by the pool or on the beach for a while. Then, I seek out a nice lunch of FRESH seafood (one of those things sadly missing on board). So I arrive some time after 1:30. March right on and go straight to my stateroom. It's also nice because I carry on my bags, so I can go and get settled right away, rather than have to wait for luggage to arrive.

I know a lot of people are excited to get on board (so am I!), but I've come to realize that I have the whole week to enjoy the ship, and I therefore make embarkation day much more relaxing for myself.

It seems that most people go to their right as the enter the WJ. Then they stop at the first buffet line and form a long line waiting to go through. We laugh at them and walk on past to the rest of the serving stations in the back. Usually, they are relatively empty of people. We also get a chuckle out of the people who wait in line first, load up their plates and then wander around looking for a table balancing the plate and drinks.

The first thing we do is walk to the back and find a table. Then go back to the serving lines to find what we want.

That is exactly what we do but did you have to tell everyone else.:eek:;)

If the ship we are sailing on has a Promenade Cafe we usually just sit there and eat a sandwich, along with a cup of coffee, to tie us over under dinner time. It beats walking around with a heavy tray waiting for someone to be finished with their table.

I agree this is a good option. But where have you seen trays in the WJ?

What you can do is take a few sandwiches with you and go to central park and find a bench or head to the library and eat there. Then later on you can go back to the Windjammer and get whatever you want unless the alternative restaurant is open and then you can eat there and save the WJ mess.

What I will most likely do on the Navigator is check out the WJ and see if there is room and wait at the table while my Father gets what he wants then I will go up and get my food. If its too busy we will make do at the Cafe Promenade if its open.

What you can do is take a few sandwiches with you and go to central park and find a bench or head to the library and eat there. Then later on you can go back to the Windjammer and get whatever you want unless the alternative restaurant is open and then you can eat there and save the WJ mess.

What I will most likely do on the Navigator is check out the WJ and see if there is room and wait at the table while my Father gets what he wants then I will go up and get my food. If its too busy we will make do at the Cafe Promenade if its open.

This is more or less what we do but we usually sit outside by pool so boys can play. Most ships have tables in the pool area, FOS seems a bit lacking in this regard but from videos I think there's some tables by juice bar.

We'll get on early and grab one.

Grandeur doesn't have a central park or a royal promenade though.

I never even walked into the Windjammer. My parents told me about the craziness. I think they made it smaller because of all the other dinning options. We went to the Park Cafe in Central Park. We had 6 people and a baby and we had no problem with finding a table. They also do good breakfast sandwiches in the morning and it is usually dead.

I do not know what you mean by "line cutters". Often I want ONE item from the line. There may be a line of people waiting to get their plates and start picking up items all along the line. I already have my plate and want one thing. I will wait for a gap and just step in, scoop up the item I want and back away. If you consider me a "line cutter", so be it....

I agree completely!!!!

This is one of the big advantages of RC's "no tray" buffet method.

One of the countless things I disliked on my one Carnival cruise was everyone crawling along the buffet line with their tray, making it impossible to grab an item.

Oh this is so simple to fix I almost feel foolish mentioning it. :D

Step 1: Go to the lido deck and check out 2 towels.

Step 2: Place 1 RCI towel over the floor space you choose to reserve and occupy once you are in queue (line) at the buffet.

Step 3: Leisurely scan the sitting area for the best spot and place 1 towel over the table(s) you desire. (great tip, macruisefan)

Step 4: Return to your RCI, spot-keeping towel and begin filling your plate.

Step 5: Sit at your table towel, and enjoy your tater tots and honey stung! :D

I do not know what you mean by "line cutters". Often I want ONE item from the line. There may be a line of people waiting to get their plates and start picking up items all along the line. I already have my plate and want one thing. I will wait for a gap and just step in, scoop up the item I want and back away. If you consider me a "line cutter", so be it....

If you think about it, this kind of behavior actually reduces the overall wait time for everybody. So it's a good thing.

I keep reading how the windjammer is a free for all and no seats...crowded...savages at the buffet. YUCK! I do not remember that at all from my last two cruises with RCI (EOS and SOS). Has something changed? Is there a place you can go and dine in a civilized manner with a glass of wine after you board? We are on the GOS in May. Thanks!

I think a lot depends on when you go, but I can tell you we have never felt crowded when boarding going to WJ, including Oasis and Allure. There is plenty of seating, just look for it. Everyone thinks they have to eat right by the food, but especially on Oasis/Allure, it you go to the side, there is plenty of seating.

There is no "rule" that prohibits sharing tables!

Most of the tables seat four or more and most cruisers are couples. Therefore, most table are only half full.

We have never hesitated to ask people (total strangers on boarding day) if we can join them. We have met interesting people and made a lot of new friends doing this.

I think a lot of the negatives relating to the windjammer refer to Oasis and Allure. First day is a little hectic, but it's not as bad as the intense negatives you've heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From doing all my pre cruise 'homework' on Cruise Critic I have learned that I will get some wonderful tips and brilliant advice ..... but also that for the many negative people who write reviews and posts you have to realise that there were some thousands of other cruisers on that very same ship who had a ball with no complaints.

I have taken all into account, will remember all good advice ..... and plan to have an absolute ball.

I agree this is a good option. But where have you seen trays in the WJ?

We asked one of the waiters for theirs and believe it or not he gave it to us. He was bringing ice tea and other drinks to different tables and when we saw him his tray was empty. The look on his face told us that he knew it was a mistake but by then it was too late. The tray was ours!

Thank you for all the responses! I've been spoiled by Disney recently having sit down MDRs available for embarkation. I might seek out that roast beef at the Park Cafe...if it is open. Can I get wine there? That is my real priority..I won't pretend it isnt..lol. :D

Yes, you can get wine in the Park Cafe area. There's a bar on the other side of the Solarium, where the Park Cafe is located. So in the Solarium, there is the indoor pool, two hot tubs, the Park Cafe, and a bar. Also, the entrance to the gym/day spa is in the Solarium.

I've found relative peace if you are among the first to board. Conditions go downhill rapidly. On Allure we ate embarkation lunch at Rita's the first week and Solarium Cafe the second week. Rita's was reasonably priced, Solarium was free. I. Purposely did not set foot in Windjammer.

On the ships with no choice but WJ, I just suck it up and order a drink at my first opportunity.

There are also plates at multiple points, but 9 times out of ten, the masses form a line at the first stack of plates and shuffle along.

If plates are available in different areas, it stands to reason that it is acceptable to move to those points to get food as well as the initial starting point.

I have seen buffet lines in land restaurants with plates at either end and duplicate items at either end and yet, patrons tend to form a single line approaching from one end only.

I'll be interested to see the actual buffet setup on the ship and will make my determination on how to proceed at that time.

I'm still trying to decide what time to arrive/board. Before noon or after? Guess I'll play it by ear.

Archived