Celebrity Select Dining-how well does it work

scifimonkey

Hi, we are newbies to Celebrity and are considering the Celebrity Select dining option. We have used freedom dining on P&O and found it to work well for us as we have never been keen at having to turn up at the same time every night and because they have an MDR specifically assigned to freedom dining there has seldom been a problem getting straight in at whatever time we turned up (as long as we are prepared to share a table which we almost always are.

The structure on Celebrity seems rather different however and we were wondering if any regulars could advise us as to how well it works. We are not sure how the single large dining room deals with those arriving between the two sittings or do you simply have a choice of booking the early or late sitting rather than 'anytime dining'? Also there is the option of booking either ahead of the cruise (just as bad as fixed sittings as we have to work out months in advance when we would like to eat), booking on board (fear then that the restaurant may be booked up and we may be consigned to the buffet) or turning up on spec (for which the fear of a long wait or again being consigned to the buffet).

Any observations on the Select dining option would be welcome.

There are two assigned inning time options, early or late seating or any time dining option. You will never be sent to the buffet. If you have any time dining you go to a separate area in the MDR and are seated as you arrive. If no space is available you may have a short wait but you will NEVER be sent to the buffet.

Hi

In our experiences, Celebrity Select Dining has worked quite well. It appears to have become more popular every year, but for the most part, we have never had more than a "few minutes" wait to be seated...and that was usually because we asked to be seated with the same waitstaff if possible. Celebrity uses a designated portion of the MDR for Select Dining...usually the Upper-Starboard-Section, so coming-going has no impact on the rest of the MDR which has the Traditional Early or Late set-seatings.

Here is a attachment from the Celebrity website explaining more:

Celebrity Select Dining

If you choose Celebrity Select Dining, you will still be seated in the ship's main restaurant, order from the same dinner menu, and enjoy the same exemplary service, but with more flexibility of timing. Choose this option when booking your cruise and you can make reservations day by day pre-cruise, reserve once onboard, or simply come to the dining room whenever you'd like to have dinner.

Celebrity Select Main Dining reservations can be made online up to four days prior to sailing, or once onboard with the Maitre d'. Subject to availability. Gratuities must be prepaid in order to participate in Select Dining. Only groups of 20 or less can be seated at one time.

Enjoy your first cruise on Celebrity !!

Woody

We just got off the Reflection and had Franco as our waiter in Select Dining. We decided each evening AFTER dinner what time worked best for the next night and as we left the dining room we made the reservation. We never had to wait and we requested Franco's section each night and that was arranged. We did plan to eat in a few of the specialty restaurants but the food in the MDR was exceptional so we ate there. We always got a table for two and were always seated next to another table of two and always had nice conversation. Because we like to go to the early shows (7 p.m.) we always made our reservations for 8:15. Worked best for us. Enjoy your cruise, we sure did.

can you tell me what time the shows are on each night, I don't want this to clash with my dinner reservations at 7pm

The showtimes will vary per sailing and ship. We just got off the Summit and on nights when they had two shows, they were 7 & 9pm (same show both times). If it was just one show it was 10:45pm.

Just got off Equinox and used Select dining. You will have no problems with what you described. We were at shared tables most nights but had several at tables for two. You can reserve a time ahead of the cruise but they are very flexible. We never waited to be seated but we were willing to sit anywhere. I'm sure if we had a specific waiter request or wouldn't share a table at times it may have caused a wait. It was very convenient and one time we were over 30 minutes later than our requested time and there was no issue. Go for Select you will not regret it.

You really do not have to make reservations if you chose My Time Dining. I've tried before to make a reservation while on board and was told that time was unavailable for a reservation.....and then we turned up at the time I wanted and were seated right away. Perhaps they only accept so many reservations....but my point is we never had to wait longer than a few minutes.

We've used the select dining (or what is often referred to as "anytime" dining) and thought that Celebrity handles it very well. That being said, we generally have dinner after the 7 PM show, so arrive to be seated for dinner around 8 PM. We have rarely had to wait more than a few minutes for a table, whether we just asked for a table for two or asked for a table for four when we were dining with friends. We've never bothered with reservations.

OK..I'M sold, we have signed up for 'Select dining' on our next cruise. We generally like to eat early, around 6.30, but not always. A new thing is that when signing up for this option when we booked, the daily gratuities had to be paid 'up front' so to speak at this time. Not a problem but a little unusual.

can you tell me what time the shows are on each night, I don't want this to clash with my dinner reservations at 7pm

Unfortunately the show times are scheduled around the traditional fixed dining times of 6PM and 8:30PM. There are two shows each night. One show is at 9PM every night - a time convenient for those in the early dining seating. The other show is at 7PM on most nights and at 10:45 or 11:PM the other nights - times convienient for the late traditional dining seating. The later, 11PM, time is usually only scheduled on formal nights.

With a 7PM select dining time you'll probably be running late for the 9PM show but it might be a possibility some nights. If need be you could always skip dessert to shorten your dining time and have something in the buffet or Cafe al Bacio after the show - or even ask the waiter to have something sent to your cabin.

You really do not have to make reservations if you chose My Time Dining. I've tried before to make a reservation while on board and was told that time was unavailable for a reservation.....and then we turned up at the time I wanted and were seated right away. Perhaps they only accept so many reservations....but my point is we never had to wait longer than a few minutes.

I agree, and this is the biggest misconception there is. We rarely, if ever, make reservations. always have the same waitstaff, hardly ever have to wait. We go to eat when we feel like it. That is the beauty of MTD or Celebrity Select.

Yes, that is the one downside of Select dining. There have been several conversations here about it with lots of opinions either way. It's something we pay anyway (although it's more like a fee than a gratuity) so we don't mind paying ahead of time and it will be refunded if you cancel your cruise before the final date.

I think the whole concept of tipping for service is changing. I know you can always give extra and we often do, but I always enjoyed the last day of the cruise passing out of envelopes and we don't get to do that much any more. Now it's just prepaids and vouchers. I know it's just an impression, but it takes some of the joy out of it for me. And, to be honest, I typically end up typically less extra because it makes it so awkward.

Tom

OK..I'M sold, we have signed up for 'Select dining' on our next cruise. We generally like to eat early, around 6.30, but not always. A new thing is that when signing up for this option when we booked, the daily gratuities had to be paid 'up front' so to speak at this time. Not a problem but a little unusual.

Hi, we are newbies to Celebrity and are considering the Celebrity Select dining option. We have used freedom dining on P&O and found it to work well for us as we have never been keen at having to turn up at the same time every night and because they have an MDR specifically assigned to freedom dining there has seldom been a problem getting straight in at whatever time we turned up (as long as we are prepared to share a table which we almost always are.

The structure on Celebrity seems rather different however and we were wondering if any regulars could advise us as to how well it works. We are not sure how the single large dining room deals with those arriving between the two sittings or do you simply have a choice of booking the early or late sitting rather than 'anytime dining'? Also there is the option of booking either ahead of the cruise (just as bad as fixed sittings as we have to work out months in advance when we would like to eat), booking on board (fear then that the restaurant may be booked up and we may be consigned to the buffet) or turning up on spec (for which the fear of a long wait or again being consigned to the buffet).

Any observations on the Select dining option would be welcome.

I've only been on three Celebrity cruises but all of them were with select/anytime/mytime dining. I can not even comprehend why anyone would allow themselves to be told what time they had to eat while they were on an expensive vacation. :confused: Different strokes is fine by me.

On Infinity we had the same table with the same people with the same staff every night, always got a window, and never had to wait more than 30 seconds as we usually ate quite early. (6ish?)

On Solstice we had a different table with different people with different staff almost every night and never had to wait more than one or two minutes.

On Constellation things were not quite as smooth and we did have to wait 5-10 minutes almost every night. It could have been ship/staff specific OR it could have been that we were going later near the 8pm MDR "rush hour."

Doing it yet again on Silhouette in just a couple of weeks, and will be interested to see how it is handled there.

Whatever your choice, ENJOY! And know that if you ARE unhappy, you CAN ask to be moved, and they WILL do it, IF they have the room. ;)

By the way, love your screen name. Familiar with Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Steve White, or David Weber?

We love the anytime dining option and seldom make a reservation since we think it defeats the purpose of allowing us to dine whenever we please. If we happen to be having a drink in a bar and are having a good conversation with other cruisers we do not have to worry about leaving to be a the restaurant at a specific time. Since we tend to dine late (no earlier then 8) and always enjoy sharing a large table...we seldom have to wait more then 5 min to be seated.

I should mention that we also love to book Aqua Class on some of our cruises. In Aqua, the only dining option is anytime.....although some folks prefer to make a reservation.

Hank

Wow, what a helpful bunch, thanks for all your comments and everyone so positive! Obviously had nothing to be concerned about other than a bit of show management. If this is the measure of the average Celebrity passenger we are in for a great time. Thanks again!

We are a group of five travelling together. Are we more likely to have to wait for select dining?

We had a group of 6 on the Equinox last week and only had to wait once (1st formal night) so we just walked about 20 feet to Cellar Masters and had a glass of wine. They came and got us when the table was ready (about 15 minutes).

BTW, they gave us the same waiters each night - Kristjen and Marthen (great job guys). Point is Select Dining is fantastic and we wouldn't do anything differently.

I never would have considered this option, but after reading this forum, I may just have to switch. I like the idea of dining when I want and not at a specific time each night. Thanks!!

You'll notice the beauty of it when you're out on deck in the late afternoon, there's a warm breeze and plenty of sun. Most people have rushed off to shower and get ready to meet their designated dining time and...you don't have to. BEST time of the whole day - knowing you don't have to rush for anything! :D

You'll notice the beauty of it when you're out on deck in the late afternoon, there's a warm breeze and plenty of sun. Most people have rushed off to shower and get ready to meet their designated dining time and...you don't have to. BEST time of the whole day - knowing you don't have to rush for anything! :D

Totally agree! It's amazing how empty the Sunset Bar is at sunset....lol

I already contacted my TA to have him switch our dining preference! Your post above just solidified the reason!! Thanks everyone!!

Archived